Author Topic: To be Independent  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
To be Independent
« on: June 10, 2005, 07:52:00 PM »
In the final days of the Seed, the Seed seamed to explode after years of resentments and rivalries rushed out consuming everyone and anything in its path. It was sad unexpected and all consuming yet at the same time very liberating.

One of the saddest things was how many people who had based their whole life on the teachings of the Seed were left with nothing and with no clear group or direction to go in.  
Leaving them wondering was everything based on nothing?

What a great irony it turned out to be, The Seed that preached that it stood by all that was good and pure and that it was immune to all the outside evils, died by its own short sightedness.

One clear memory that I have of the Seed was Libby leading a rap and saying with much convection how important it was to change everything about ourselves because the one thing we do not change will be the one thing that will come to bite us in the ass.
 I can still remember how prophetic these words seamed to me and how important it was for me to change and honestly strive to become a better person.
 I can remember taking all that was spoken in the group as the absolute truth and not allowing myself to question any of it. To question any of it would have been to look for the easy way out and the open path to self destruction. After all self discipline was the proof of love.
  I remember being able to parrot off all the right catch phrases on cue like some Chinese kid with his little red book during the Maoist Cultural Revolution but, how much did really know or understand?

How true and hypocritical Libby?s words turned out to be.
 As the leader and chief enforcer at the Seed she failed to honestly exam her reasons and motives for being part of the Seed and the reason why she stayed at the Seed for so long. She must have swelled with envy any time an old timer decided to move away and start their life independent of the Seed. I can remember having to listen to the bull shit line of how the cream of the crop stayed at the Seed while the conformists and half ass moved away out of their own selfishness and lack of commitment to the program and above all themselves.

In truth most people stayed because of the unnatural dependence the Seed had on them. An instilled fear of the outside world and world deprived of Art?s almost divine guidance. The long timers inability to strike out on their own lead to a half baked cowardly plan striking against Art only when he was down and unable to fully defend his position, while these cowards took the moral high ground.
 Anyone with any common sense saw through this and would have been sicken by the way things were handled. I will admit I was no great fan of Art and always tried to keep my distance as to not be confused as just another mindless kiss ass or perhaps even back then in spite of everything something deep inside still was able to recognize true bull-shit.

I began to resent the tie the Seed had on me and my inability to be able to take my life into my own hands.
 Sure I can reason and even understand that in the beginning I needed control and guidance but after a while it was crucial that I go out and make my own decisions not become a prisoner or a mindless follower. I realized I needed to truly understand.

My inability to deal with my ever growing frustrations of the Seed lead me to a confrontation with staff and I was asked very nicely to leave.  What a liberating day. I look at it as my own independence day; sadly I don?t remember that date.    

Even after all these years the Seed held a huge grip on my life and my persona. Some was very good some not so good.

I refuse to live in resentment or second guess my time at the Seed. I have to accept the good with the bad because this was time that already has been spent. I learned how to tell someone or some group to go fuck themselves because the one thing I refuse to do is to conform to mindless group thinking. I will no longer carry the party line unless I truly believe in it. I will not agree with someone just to make my position easier. I remember being told how we stood alone against the popular destructive trends of the world but try to disagree with the popular trends of the Seed? I come to the realization that in truth it?s much harder to stand alone and really be your own person.

Nothing I resent more is closed minded thinking or that there is only one absolute truth
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
To be Independent
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 07:59:00 PM »
:nworthy:

I can really see the thought you put into this.  You made some important points and astute observations.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
To be Independent
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 12:05:00 AM »
I was a 6 month graduate, living in the apartments, and still going in for meetings in Cleveland when the Seed left.  I was definately feeling that it was time for me to make a break and out of the blue they made the break for me. I felt such a sense of relief and freedom.  Many others did also.  I went to the rap along with lots of others the day they were moving and we all talked about how we would continue in Cleveland and make a difference in the world. This was actually something that people believed at the time.  During my time at the Seed, there were a few people who moved away and occasionally came back for a visit, and they were respected and admired.  I always knew I was not a lifer, and I had examples to look up to.  I just wanted to get what I needed to be happy and then move on.  This was my chance!

We were so optomistic, but things fell apart pretty quickly.  People would still call down to the Seed and report to staff about things that were happening.  Staff would tell them to kick certain people out of the apartments and it was done!  It was an awful time for a lot of people.  Seed kids were going up to other Seed kids and telling them that they didn't want to have anything to do with them based on advice from people in Florida.  It was unbelievable.    

Patty went around telling people that family ties were easy to break and that the REAL strong people were going to move down to Florida.  Many did.  I always knew that they were the dependant ones and I didn't want anyone else controlling my life ever again. Some people went down and left again pretty quickly because they said it was really like a prison down there.

Things eventually calmed down in Cleveland.  Many people moved on, but a lot of us stayed friends.  We are spread out through the Cleveland and Columbus area.  We get together occassionally and I would say that we have a very strong bond due to our common history.  Not that we sit around and talk about the Seed much.  We have full and complete lives.  Going to the Seed was a part of our teen years.  We talk about it like that.

Five years after the Seed left I married someone who was also a Seed graduate.  We've been married and happy for 23 years.  We visited Florida several times. We even went to one of their reunions.  We sat with Scott and had a blast.  He was one of the staff members that was down to earth and had realistic expectations.  He used to tell us in the apartments that he didn't expect us to be like staff just to behave when we had newcomers.  

Anyway back to the break up of the Seed.  When we went to Florida and talked about some of the things that happened to everybody in Cleveland I actually had people tell me that it wouldn't be like that in Florida.  I knew at the time that they were so naive.  I knew it would happen to them and probably even be worse because they had so many long years of dependency.  We had a year or two at the most.  I wish them well finding their way without the Seed.  It's about time they made the journey into the real world.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
To be Independent
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 01:44:00 AM »
Welcome to our forum!  I have often wondered what happened to the guys that graduated the cleveland seed. I know of two brothers,one that posts here and the other that reads, both from cleveland. You may wish to make contact with them here.

Welcome once again!  New posters usually tell us a story about something they remember that seemed significant during their time at the seed.

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
To be Independent
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »
What an amazing post. I hope you will continue your story here.
ally Gator

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
To be Independent
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 09:31:00 AM »

On 2005-06-10 16:52:00, Anonymous wrote:

"In the final days of the Seed, the Seed seamed to explode after years of resentments and rivalries rushed out consuming everyone and anything in its path. It was sad unexpected and all consuming yet at the same time very liberating.

What exactly happened? There seems to be a mystery here that no one wants to resolve. can someone please explain the story of "the final das" in detail. . .once and for all?????