Author Topic: Academy faces uncertain future  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Academy faces uncertain future
« on: May 31, 2005, 10:44:00 AM »
May 31, 2005

Riot, allegations of mistreatment drive down enrollment

By Julie Goodman
[email protected]

Enrollment at the troubled Eagle Point Christian Academy in Lucedale has dropped from about 100 to 78 cadets this year since the school quelled a riot and kicked out a group of offending students.

Other students at the former Bethel Boys Academy were yanked out by parents concerned about safety at the school, which has been defending itself against allegations of mistreatment.

The academy's director, John Fountain, said he has not admitted any students since the April riot which landed nine students in detention and left the school with significant property damage. He said his staff is undergoing more training, and he is trying to get the school back in order.
Asked whether he could sustain the school financially with the drop in enrollment, Fountain said he is unsure.

"I don't know. We'll see. I hope so," he said, but then added the setback is "just a bump in the road."

Parents of former students at the school have alleged abuse, and some have filed suit.

Many of the allegations came while the academy was under the direction of Herman Fountain, John Fountain's father, who was forced by a court to relinquish all interest in the school.

While his son has made improvements and detailed a plan to turn the school around, allegations of mistreatment have continued.

George County Chief Deputy Sheriff J.D. Mitchell said his department hasn't received any reports of problems at the academy since the riot.

But at least one parent has complained.

When Loretta Trawinski and her husband, Ed, of suburban Detroit, became concerned about their 15-year old son's lying and stealing, they looked into opportunities for help and decided on the military-style school in Lucedale.

But the Trawinskis became worried after they heard about the riot and continued reports of mistreatment, including parents who said their children returned home with injuries from overzealous drill instructors.

"I don't know what to believe or what not to believe," she said at the time.

They recently showed up unannounced at the academy ? armed with pepper spray ? and pulled their son, Paul, out of the school.

Ed Trawinski said their son complained he was underfed and overworked at the academy, and forced to focus more on manual labor than schoolwork.

He said Paul Trawinski was forced to help repair windows that were broken in the riot and to help fix a pool on the campus.

"I'm not paying three grand a month for them to use my son as a carpenter," he said. "Yes, you should keep them busy, but it ain't his fault that this place got all torn up."

John Fountain dismisses the allegations, saying all cadets are required to do chores.

More intensive work, such as mowing the lawn, is done on a volunteer basis only. He said he had students help with the riot repairs because they were responsible for the damage but was unable to explain why Paul Trawinski was included in the punishment.

And John Fountain said his mother, the cook at the school, has always provided plenty of food for the students.

The school hired additional security after the riot. Tony Best, vice president of Mississippi Security Police Inc., said his company promptly dismissed one drill instructor for "aggressive" behavior, which he described as pushing cadets.

"Either they're going to be on board with us, or they're going to be gone," Best said.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 11:43:00 AM »
That's great. I hope this gulag will get shut down soon.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 05:41:00 PM »