Author Topic: remembering Steve Mathews  (Read 3527 times)

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
remembering Steve Mathews
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 05:38:37 AM »
Quote from: ""starry-eyed pirate""
As i entered Straight, Springfield in march of 85, Steve Mathews was sitting in group on 1st phase with his hand down.  in that
sea of mindlessness Steve was a beacon of hope to me.  

Thanks this made my night! Especially after the weekend i had ironically involving straight and steve. received cards and his funeral guestbook from my mom she's been going thru stuff...  opened up to the page about bequests... one sentence... "Donations to Straight Inc." written by my mom. who didnt know any better at the time. It still disgusts me nonetheless.  so glad u all are having this memorial service looking forward to it, although its gonna be a tough night. but worth it. Peace!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
RIP Steve Matthews and all those we have lost along the way!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 09:12:21 AM »
Steve sounds like he was a pretty cool guy.  Sucks he's gone, we need more people like that around.

rtp2k3

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2006, 10:41:01 AM »
Your story about Steve was one of the first things I read after looking up Straight in a search engine and it broke my heart.  I'm so sorry for what happened.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2006, 02:44:21 PM »
Quote from: ""Anne Bonney""
Your story about Steve was one of the first things I read after looking up Straight in a search engine and it broke my heart.  I'm so sorry for what happened.

Thanks Anne.  For some reason it seems to be the first thing a lot of people read.  For most i think that's been good for some it's been a bit difficult because they weren't really prepared for memories to come back the way they did. I can't imagine. But it's been a blessing in the sense that I've reconnected w/ so many people who knew him and they all have nothing but wonderful things to say.  So while it's such a tragedy I'm just very proud that he made such a positive impact in so many lives in the midst of such chaos and negativity. of course I still wish he were with us, I'm just glad to know the truth now, makes all the difference in the world to me. Thanks again!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
that was a good post starry.....
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 04:12:43 AM »
i liked that man.......isn't it funny how in that moment in time for you,you ran into him? not a PARENT or something!.....how come you didn't call him later that day or so on? no money?........hippie

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: that was a good post starry.....
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2006, 04:58:27 AM »
Quote from: ""stillahippie564""
i liked that man.......isn't it funny how in that moment in time for you,you ran into him? not a PARENT or something!.....how come you didn't call him later that day or so on? no money?........hippie

ooo i can answer that one.. lets see it was evening and steve had two, not one but two beautiful women and a bottle of wine with him. I would have at least waited til the next day lol :) but yeah i curious to as to what happened beyond that day?

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 09:00:58 PM »
I wonder the same thing...
but I don't remember...
It was tough times...

It was great just to see him.  We only talked for a minute.  That was the only direct verbal communication we'd ever had. It was great just to be able to directly acknowledge each other outside of $tr8.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.