Author Topic: How do you forget?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
How do you forget?
« on: May 24, 2005, 07:08:00 PM »
I've been out of the program for years... and yet I am still drawn to come read these boards. I know nothing is going to change, if anything, it's going to get worse. Our culture seems to embrace the strange ideology these programs follow these days, and honestly it seems like 99% of the public have NO clue these types of places even exist.

Do you ever feel like you want to throw up? Having to explain it to people when it comes up. Shit, I don't even talk about it anymore... 'cept online. At least you guys know what the fuck we are talking about. You can see it in people's eyes... that look. The look of strange pitiful curiosity. Why tell anyone? What's the point. Unless they've been there, and been through it they don't know. The kids who kissed ass in the easier programs think they know what goes on. They don't. Or they don't care. Or they are brainwashed, or a combination of a number of reasons.

I've been trying hard to resurface memories of my childhood. The program was just the icing on the cake so to speak. A final 'fuck you' from my dad before I went into the world on my own at 18, when I took my exit plan. I just don't get it. If I have a son one day, will I be like that? I pray and hope and wish with all my heart I will not be. I try not to be like him, I really do. Sometimes I try to hard I think.

One thing I got from the program was a healthy dose of reality and the realization of the overall strangeness of people. I also learned how cruel people can be, and yet seem oblivious to the moral implications of their misdeeds. I was a low leveling 17 year old just waiting my time out.. I never considered taking any program bullshit to heart. I didn't need to change, I needed to get the fuck out of my dad's house. That's all. I kept trying to run away, and I asked him not to stop me, but the cops always brought me back. He called them on me a few times at home as well.. being arrested in your bedroom for no reason is a strange feeling. I still feel a little paranoid. Around cops I become very defensive. I'd rather people not speak my name in public and I sometimes explode on strangers because I think they are 'staring at me'.

Sometimes I feel like shit doesn't matter. Does it? I am doing fine, I am not a drug addict or a typical failure in any way. I could pass for the all american college grad... but I don't want to. I feel like I found out the secret to life at a very young age, it's all bullshit. Everything is bullshit. It's a simple concept, but it took me a long time to realize. It took me a long time to realize what free thinking really is.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
How do you forget?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 07:37:00 PM »
You just summed up pretty much what runs through my head every day, right down to the 'dad' shit.  Unfortunately my only (personal) solution to it is to find some little Caribbean island somewhere and get the fuck outta Dodge.  It just all feels too overwhelming sometimes.  Now I just try to take care of myself and my own.  Hopefully posting here and shedding some light on these places makes a difference to prospective program parents.  Can't change what happened to us, but maybe a few parents will think twice.  There IS good news.  You have to look hard for it, but it is there.

Offline `

• View Profile
How do you forget?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 08:14:00 PM »

'cept i swear to god there is another amzing sunset in my western window right now

Offline Angola Cheeba

• View Profile
How do you forget?
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 11:20:00 PM »
Hey buddy,
I feel for you. I just recently came to terms thanks to the people on these forums, with the shit that happened in the program. Been out five years almost now and I still think about it alot. I also really looked at my childhhod as well and came to terms with the abuse I expereinced from my step mom. I know how it feels to feel cheated and used. To feel like you were lied to and (it seems) like no one cares, especially not the people who caused you the depression and anger that you were sent to the program for.

But cheer up good buddy! The great thing about it is there are people who care! The people here care and we are doing are best to get these shit holes shut down. And you can make different choices with your kids and not be a controlling ass. The rule of thumb I use is whatever my parents did to me, I do the opposite for my daughter! Works wonders. And there are good people out there who care and are fighting the good fight so to speak! The world is full of bastards, yes. But it is also full of good and happiness and non judgemental people who love others and want a good world. We just gotta keep fighting and hope for the best! Keep your chin up!!

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it."
-Helen Keller
\'homme est ne\'libre et partout il est dans les fers.
Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains.
Jean-Jacques Rousseau
--------------------------------------------

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
    • http://www.thetroublingtroubledteenindustry.org
How do you forget?
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 02:42:00 PM »
I was never in a program so I can't say I know what it's like but I spent the entire last year of my life trying to help a girl like you get out. In the process I learned  about this heinous industry inside and out, including the effects it has on survivors. I've read at least a couple hundred personal accounts. It is absolutely understandable that you'd feel this way.

You've been through a hell that people seem not to want to know about. I am a recently retired therapist and prior to my experience with my young friend I'd never heard about these places, except for one account from a client who'd been through Straights, but never mentioned the name to me. I thought I understood her then, but I didn't fully. However, to the degree I understood and supported her, I know I helped. Her traumatic experience moved from foreground to background. She's doing well. We both know she'll never forget.

My young friend has recently been released, just a few weeks and I can't reach her directly because she's been brainwashed to believe I'm bad and that she could be sent back if she contacts me. I'm confident that I'll reach her  but I've been thinking about how best to deal with the aftermath of this.

One thing I discovered is that there are a few groups of young adult survivors who are collecting stories written by other survivors. I believe that this could be very healing not only to know that people might finally understand this Orwellian experience but your stories, together, will be part of what will force this industry to massive reform.

Not sure if html is working but here's an address for one site. The site is mostly focussed on bipolar disorder however you'll see on the discussion board areas devoted to institutional abuse such as you've been through. The people I wrote to about this seem very intelligent and motivated. http://www.icarusproject.net  Check their discussion board.

I, too, feel like throwing up when I have to explain why I'm so upset about what's happened to my friend and, again, I wasn't even there.

It's a horrific entry into the adult world. Yes, you did get a dose of reality - evil does exist. It's the closest I've come to evil in my 40 odd years.  However, this isn't a full picture of reality, grace also exists. Pieces of this awful industry have crumbled and most of us here are working in one form or another to bring it down. These are heartful, good, kind people.

I know that there is so much b.s. all around us. Finding the truth takes effort usually, but I've found pockets of people who do speak the truth and they are a great comfort to me.

I hope you'll join our effort in whatever fashion is appropriate, to bring that 99% of those that don't/won't hear down a whole lot. I've devoted the last year to it and made a dent. I'm exhausted, enraged but glad that I made some difference.

Please feel free to leave me a private message if you'd like.

I wish you healing and hope you find loving people to connect with.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
How do you forget?
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 03:23:00 PM »
I was never in a program either, but I care a lot.

I read about Tranquility bay online and that sparked my interest... and then I found out how pervasive this issue was in the united states. So, I dug and dug online.

Once I discovered that kids are in those horrible places all of the USA, 24/7, while I can live my relatively palacial lifestyle, it just stuck into my mind. I cant seem to make it get away from me.

But at any rate, I'd rather try to fix it than just forget about it. Its a slow, tedious process, but I have at least seen fornits help two kids get out of their respesctive programs. I also helped create the article at http://www.askquestions.org/articles/teens , and I have told people I know in real life about it.

Its not much when you compare the size of the whole issue - but it is a start.

All contemporary religions and churches, all and every kind of religious organization, Marxism has always viewed as organs of bourgeois reaction, serving as a defense of exploitation and the doping of the working-classes.
--Nikolai Lenin, Russian revolutionary

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline `

• View Profile
How do you forget?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 09:16:00 AM »
i'm still trying to figure out survival skills. i just gotta tell people like hurleygurley and nihilanthic who probably have more spirit energy to work on this stuff than i do that it helps my heart a little bit to know that you are working when i am lost. ::rainbow::

p.s. to anyone reading this, there is a new document up on isaccorp.org. you can find it here: http://http://www.isaccorp.org/khk/odadasletter.jpg.  it is a letter from the Ohio Department of Alcohol and Drug Addiction Services, the agency in Ohio that "certifies" a Straight-copycat program called Kids Helping Kids, to the International Survivors Action Committee, acknowledging complaints that ISAC is making against KHK. if anyone wanted to contact the media in Ohio and ask them if they were paying attention to this that would be cool. :wink: