Author Topic: AA Deprogramming  (Read 2197 times)

Offline The Angel Therion

• View Profile
AA Deprogramming
« on: February 17, 2004, 07:47:00 AM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
ull me out of body don\'t want it don\'t want in,Feeble frail and rotting descending
I\'m lost in a structure that\'s collapsing don\'t want it cast into maker take the body
don\'t want it wants me

Offline The Angel Therion

• View Profile
AA Deprogramming
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 07:53:00 AM »
Part of mastering life is the development of communication skills which will allow us to be as honest as we can be in a given situation, (honoring our emotions), to avoid building up the spiritual stress of living as a phony or people pleaser.
In many cases, for adults, it is socially challenging to be emotionally honest. But this is not so with young children. If you've ever watched babies, you will have noticed that they are fully emotive creatures. Any inconvenience, a late feeding, a toy she can't reach, a tiny bump of the head results in shrieking cries and full remorseless expression. Once the emotions are let out, the event is forgotten fairly quickly. By crying and expressing herself, the child has realigned herself emotionally and psychologically. The incident is forgotten and the baby returns to its natural, happy state.

Babies don't need drugs or drink to feel alive. They feel alive because they fully experience and express their emotions. While I am not suggesting that people wail like infants over food arriving late at a restaurant, I am suggesting that a full emotional life where feelings are honored and expressed constructively is the goal to work toward. Newly recovering alcoholics and addicts rarely know how to handle their emotions properly. There is a need to find the balance between social acceptability (not being a danger to self and others) while at the same time, honoring emotions rather than denying them, even if those emotions are profound. Infantile expression and utter repression are both extremes for which there is a high cost.

For emotion stuffers, AA does not set out to awaken their emotional worlds. Far from it! Instant "Serenity" is set forth as the immediate emotional goal for all members... serenity being an emotional state devoid of notable highs or lows! Members are taught to avoid strong emotions! Unfortunately, before one can even think about serenity, long repressed deep emotions such as anger, rage and grief must be dealt with. These feelings cannot be "candy coated" with any hope of long term success. Sadly, when members do experience strong emotions they may be shamed for having an emotional relapse, or labeled dry drunks. The state of Serenity, which is presented as emotional flatness, is unhealthy by standards of modern psychology. A broad range of deep emotions, appropriately used is what emotional health is all about! This is what makes life colorful, rich and worthwhile. It is unrealistic to expect to go through life without strong emotions. Life brings joy as well as tragedy. Such is the nature of living.

Because members try to maintain the precarious state of Serenity, but at the same time, are often hiding deep emotional pain, they are frequently living life as emotional time bombs. This is why expression of deep emotions is often discouraged in meetings. Members are to "work the program" on their strong feelings, so they don't feel them with intensity, and most importantly, so they don't express them. The fear is that one person's "time-bomb" (the expression of strong emotion in a meeting)... will detonate the entire mine field.

Instead of working toward the goal of finally opening the Pandora's box of repressed emotions which has been neglected by years of drinking, then fully experiencing and attaching the proper feelings to past life events, many AA members fail to address these issues at all. Why? For several reasons. Firstly, AA suggests that people "let go" of the past in a wave-of-the-hand type of gesture -- to get off the pity pot and focus on the "important" things, like passing on the 12 step "remedy" to others. Also, for many it seems too terrifying to go inside and face the demons of the past! Thus by failing to go back and grieving their own pains and losses, they never develop the emotional sensitivity which is needed to make life pleasurable and which will allow them to be able to empathize with the pain of others. This is why so many sponsors are lack adequate sensitivity. Instead of dealing with the scary past, members often learn to exist in the spiritual fishbowl of AA, riding on religious fluff and an intense social high meanwhile mistakenly attributing their deadened spirit to the "disease" of alcoholism. The intense social high and the rituals of AA keeps the flame from the fuse. Too often, emotions remain buried behind a facade of gratitude for the program and the emotional pretense of serenity.

Surely we can do better than this...
ull me out of body don\'t want it don\'t want in,Feeble frail and rotting descending
I\'m lost in a structure that\'s collapsing don\'t want it cast into maker take the body
don\'t want it wants me

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
AA Deprogramming
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 12:23:00 PM »
Check out http://www.rational.org for some good info on AA/NA/12-Step cults.  He also mentions "Recovery Group Disorder" which I think all Survivors will find interesting.

This has been edited--the link is the right one now

[ This Message was edited by: RTP2003 on 2004-02-17 11:09 ]
RTP2003 fought in defense of the Old Republic

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
AA Deprogramming
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 12:26:00 PM »
Those are great sites.  I found this one when I was looking around one day.

http://www.orange-papers.org/menu1.html

People who are willing to give up freedom for the sake of short term security, deserve neither freedom nor security.

--Benjamin Franklin

Whoa!   I just went and looked at the site again....he put my letter up!!!  Look under 'Latest Updates'.

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
AA Deprogramming
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 02:18:00 PM »
On 2004-02-17 04:53:00, The Angel Therion wrote:

"Part of mastering life is the development of communication skills which will allow us to be as honest as we can be in a given situation, (honoring our emotions), to avoid building up the spiritual stress of living as a phony or people pleaser.

In many cases, for adults, it is socially challenging to be emotionally honest. But this is not so with young children. If you've ever watched babies, you will have noticed that they are fully emotive creatures. Any inconvenience, a late feeding, a toy she can't reach, a tiny bump of the head results in shrieking cries and full remorseless expression. Once the emotions are let out, the event is forgotten fairly quickly. By crying and expressing herself, the child has realigned herself emotionally and psychologically. The incident is forgotten and the baby returns to its natural, happy state.

Babies don't need drugs or drink to feel alive. They feel alive because they fully experience and express their emotions. While I am not suggesting that people wail like infants over food arriving late at a restaurant, I am suggesting that a full emotional life where feelings are honored and expressed constructively is the goal to work toward. Newly recovering alcoholics and addicts rarely know how to handle their emotions properly. There is a need to find the balance between social acceptability (not being a danger to self and others) while at the same time, honoring emotions rather than denying them, even if those emotions are profound. Infantile expression and utter repression are both extremes for which there is a high cost.

For emotion stuffers, AA does not set out to awaken their emotional worlds. Far from it! Instant "Serenity" is set forth as the immediate emotional goal for all members... serenity being an emotional state devoid of notable highs or lows! Members are taught to avoid strong emotions! Unfortunately, before one can even think about serenity, long repressed deep emotions such as anger, rage and grief must be dealt with. These feelings cannot be "candy coated" with any hope of long term success. Sadly, when members do experience strong emotions they may be shamed for having an emotional relapse, or labeled dry drunks. The state of Serenity, which is presented as emotional flatness, is unhealthy by standards of modern psychology. A broad range of deep emotions, appropriately used is what emotional health is all about! This is what makes life colorful, rich and worthwhile. It is unrealistic to expect to go through life without strong emotions. Life brings joy as well as tragedy. Such is the nature of living.

Because members try to maintain the precarious state of Serenity, but at the same time, are often hiding deep emotional pain, they are frequently living life as emotional time bombs. This is why expression of deep emotions is often discouraged in meetings. Members are to "work the program" on their strong feelings, so they don't feel them with intensity, and most importantly, so they don't express them. The fear is that one person's "time-bomb" (the expression of strong emotion in a meeting)... will detonate the entire mine field.

Instead of working toward the goal of finally opening the Pandora's box of repressed emotions which has been neglected by years of drinking, then fully experiencing and attaching the proper feelings to past life events, many AA members fail to address these issues at all. Why? For several reasons. Firstly, AA suggests that people "let go" of the past in a wave-of-the-hand type of gesture -- to get off the pity pot and focus on the "important" things, like passing on the 12 step "remedy" to others. Also, for many it seems too terrifying to go inside and face the demons of the past! Thus by failing to go back and grieving their own pains and losses, they never develop the emotional sensitivity which is needed to make life pleasurable and which will allow them to be able to empathize with the pain of others. This is why so many sponsors are lack adequate sensitivity. Instead of dealing with the scary past, members often learn to exist in the spiritual fishbowl of AA, riding on religious fluff and an intense social high meanwhile mistakenly attributing their deadened spirit to the "disease" of alcoholism. The intense social high and the rituals of AA keeps the flame from the fuse. Too often, emotions remain buried behind a facade of gratitude for the program and the emotional pretense of serenity.

Surely we can do better than this...

"

I like the analysis of the meeting mentality. Let's look at this though. If one does the things that are in both the steps and your arguments above, dealing with, understanding and resolving the emotional baggage and defects in character, then shouldn't, by definition, one no longer need the meeting and even abstinence?

Thing is, I am not sure where your argument is heading.

CL

Offline Therion

• View Profile
AA Deprogramming
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 06:36:00 AM »
I copy pasted that ...its not My opinion to defend...

Merely an exerpt...for you to mull and discuss or not...

Sometimes I feel like Im 4 diffrent people and like...I post shit...and then either dont remember posting...or dont really know why I posted or what I was thinking...
aving the way for the new breed of bad seed