Author Topic: "Love" Raps  (Read 1011 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline RTP2003

  • Posts: 1345
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
"Love" Raps
« on: November 01, 2005, 01:37:00 PM »
Anybody remember the sappy raps they used to have at Straight, where the group would go on and on about the "love" we felt for each other and Straight?  Sometimes they would be by candlelight, usually would contain some teary-eyed testamonial about Straight's "love" being so dear to us?

They were all jive.  False. Fraudulent.  In Straight terms, "Full of Shit".

In reality, the "love" raps were another component of program conditioning, an illustration of the insidious nature of groupthink.  They were trying to create familial bonds between us, to replace our existing socialization and identities within social frameworks with one that had the group, the staff, and the program at the center.  There was no "love" at Straight, merely conditioning.

Any relationships you formed while at Straight, with the possible exception of "misbehavers" communicating, or "cliquing", were relationships formed out of psychological necessity.  Humans are social animals, and Straight exploited this in order to further the thought control.  By deeming confrontations, group therapy, Stepcraft, even restraints and "consequences" as ways to express "Tough Love", a very powerful and basic human drive was subverted to serve the ends of the Program.  The contrived act of "reaching out for a friendship" and writing "friendship letters" makes a mockery of normal, volitional, naturally-occuring human interactions. The only 'friends' you had at Straight, Inc. were those that helped you leave or those that helped you resist conforming to Straight.  All other relationships were in the context of the Program, and therefore, not "real".

To believe that we all "loved" each other, merely for having been incarcerated together in the same madhouse, is to buy into Program thinking at a very disturbing level.  This is not to say that we cannot respect each other or our experiences that we endured there.  Often, we are the only ones who can understand what it is like to have been in a mindfuck festival like Straight, and this can be a cornerstone to bonding with someone else, becoming friends, but it is different precisely because it occurs outside the Program, beyond the Step-covered walls, and free from the influence of program dogma and practices.

Even if you think you made some friendships in Straight, chances are that you did not meet the "real" person you are claiming friendship with, merely the Programmed version of their authenic self, a tortured, watered-down, brainwashed to one degree or another, shadow of the person they really are.  The fact that certain topics of conversation were not even allowed indicates the true "depth" of such relationships.  They were simply more trappings and window dressing, "look how great this cult is, Mom, I'm making new friends that are Straight!"

In reality, any friendships you have with people here began after getting out from under Straight's influence.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
RTP2003 fought in defense of the Old Republic

Offline Cayo Hueso

  • Posts: 1274
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
"Love" Raps
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 01:47:00 PM »
Very well put, my friend.  Glad I did have the opportunity to have you as a friend after, you've been a trusted one.

Shit, none of us were ourselves back then.  Even through the few years that I've been on and off of here I've gone thru so many different phases (pleeeeeeze pardon the pun) and changes of ideas.  Many of the things and people I trusted when I first came on here proved to be something less than I had thought, but to my extreme delight I also met a lot of really great people.  THOSE are the ones I choose to stay in contact with.

What was done with the seed saved from the India Hemp last summer? It ought, all of it, to have been sewn again; that not only a stock of seed sufficient for my own purposes might have been raised, but to have disseminated the seed to others; as it is more valuable than the common Hemp.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/188301123X/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>George Washington, Writings of Washington, Vol. 35, pg. 72

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Anonymous

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 164661
  • Karma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
"Love" Raps
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 01:48:00 PM »
Quote
On 2005-11-01 10:47:00, Cayo Hueso wrote:

"Very well put, my friend.  Glad I did have the opportunity to have you as a friend after, you've been a trusted one.



Awwwww, thanks......
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Nonconformistlaw

  • Posts: 789
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
"Love" Raps
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 01:57:00 PM »
Yeah I remember the sappy raps, the constant reminders of the group loves and cares about you lines of shit.

Oddly...while in Straight I never felt love from one person there. Ironic since I was constantly bombarded with "love." I'm sure it worked on me in subtle ways which made me "compliant." The love ya's meant group acceptance, "positive" peer pressure. Powerful weapon to use on teenagers isn't it???

But then again...maybe the fact I never felt any sincere love from the "group" really illustrates the falsity and illusion of it all...it wasn't real...so it makes perfect sense to me that I never felt love.

I never made friends while in Straight. I dont know how that was even possible because no real bonding was possible as our ever word & thought was severely controlled, monitored & restricted. Sure I did the mixed groups and outings with other people that I was supposed to do on 4th and 5th phase. But I didnt really bond with anyone.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline Anonymous

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 164661
  • Karma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
"Love" Raps
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »
Quote
On 2005-11-01 10:37:00, RTP2003 wrote:

"Anybody remember the sappy raps they used to have at Straight, where the group would go on and on about the "love" we felt for each other and Straight?  Sometimes they would be by candlelight, usually would contain some teary-eyed testamonial about Straight's "love" being so dear to us?



They were all jive.  False. Fraudulent.  In Straight terms, "Full of Shit".



In reality, the "love" raps were another component of program conditioning, an illustration of the insidious nature of groupthink.  They were trying to create familial bonds between us, to replace our existing socialization and identities within social frameworks with one that had the group, the staff, and the program at the center.  There was no "love" at Straight, merely conditioning.



Any relationships you formed while at Straight, with the possible exception of "misbehavers" communicating, or "cliquing", were relationships formed out of psychological necessity.  Humans are social animals, and Straight exploited this in order to further the thought control.  By deeming confrontations, group therapy, Stepcraft, even restraints and "consequences" as ways to express "Tough Love", a very powerful and basic human drive was subverted to serve the ends of the Program.  The contrived act of "reaching out for a friendship" and writing "friendship letters" makes a mockery of normal, volitional, naturally-occuring human interactions. The only 'friends' you had at Straight, Inc. were those that helped you leave or those that helped you resist conforming to Straight.  All other relationships were in the context of the Program, and therefore, not "real".



To believe that we all "loved" each other, merely for having been incarcerated together in the same madhouse, is to buy into Program thinking at a very disturbing level.  This is not to say that we cannot respect each other or our experiences that we endured there.  Often, we are the only ones who can understand what it is like to have been in a mindfuck festival like Straight, and this can be a cornerstone to bonding with someone else, becoming friends, but it is different precisely because it occurs outside the Program, beyond the Step-covered walls, and free from the influence of program dogma and practices.



Even if you think you made some friendships in Straight, chances are that you did not meet the "real" person you are claiming friendship with, merely the Programmed version of their authenic self, a tortured, watered-down, brainwashed to one degree or another, shadow of the person they really are.  The fact that certain topics of conversation were not even allowed indicates the true "depth" of such relationships.  They were simply more trappings and window dressing, "look how great this cult is, Mom, I'm making new friends that are Straight!"



In reality, any friendships you have with people here began after getting out from under Straight's influence.
"


Isn't everyone subjected to some kind of "social conditioning" as life goes along such as following the law, don't yell "fire" in a crowded theater, etc.?  Conditioning isn't necessarily a bad thing unless you morph it into a bad habit.  Reconditioning is required sometimes.

Shoot at will.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 164661
  • Karma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
"Love" Raps
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 02:22:00 PM »
Quote
On 2005-11-01 11:06:00, Anonymous wrote:


Isn't everyone subjected to some kind of "social conditioning" as life goes along such as following the law, don't yell "fire" in a crowded theater, etc.?  Conditioning isn't necessarily a bad thing unless you morph it into a bad habit.  Reconditioning is required sometimes.



Shoot at will."


Of course everyone is subjected to "social conditioning", whether in Straight or not.  My point is that Straight attempted this conditioning in a contrived, unnatural, force-feeding kind of way.  The conditioning done at Straight undoubtedly created problems when adjusting to the "real" world for many people.  

Also, the purposse for this conditioning was not to "help us morph a bad habit into a good one", it was merely to instill and reinforce notions that complying with the Program was good and desireable.  The idea that you "loved" all the other Straightlings as a matter of course was another way to enforce Program dogma---"If you loved them, you'll make sure their working their program, and if their not, you'll report them, because you love them and don't want them to end up DEADINSANEINJAIL."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Carmel

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 954
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
"Love" Raps
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 02:54:00 PM »
I do recall that the probability of actually enjoying someones company you knew inside, after getting out, was pretty small.

I remember visiting with lots of people I was in with at different times afterwards, and only really being interested in actually KNOWING a few of them.  There is really only one person I ever formed a lasting bond with, and we still talk today. That person was on staff though, so in reality I probably knew them the LEAST while in the program itself.

I remember having to reach out for friendships and support.  I also remember that if you were a newcomer and you began to show any level of bonding with other newcomers they made sure it was squelched.  Case in point, if you were on a  refresher with someone else at the same time, and you were trying to get back on track or whatever, sometims you and that person would form a small bond in the process.  It never lasted.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Anonymous

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 164661
  • Karma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
"Love" Raps
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 02:58:00 PM »
Quote
On 2005-11-01 11:22:00, Anonymous wrote:

"
Quote

On 2005-11-01 11:06:00, Anonymous wrote:



Isn't everyone subjected to some kind of "social conditioning" as life goes along such as following the law, don't yell "fire" in a crowded theater, etc.?  Conditioning isn't necessarily a bad thing unless you morph it into a bad habit.  Reconditioning is required sometimes.





Shoot at will."




Of course everyone is subjected to "social conditioning", whether in Straight or not.  My point is that Straight attempted this conditioning in a contrived, unnatural, force-feeding kind of way.  The conditioning done at Straight undoubtedly created problems when adjusting to the "real" world for many people.  



Also, the purposse for this conditioning was not to "help us morph a bad habit into a good one", it was merely to instill and reinforce notions that complying with the Program was good and desireable.  The idea that you "loved" all the other Straightlings as a matter of course was another way to enforce Program dogma---"If you loved them, you'll make sure their working their program, and if their not, you'll report them, because you love them and don't want them to end up DEADINSANEINJAIL."  "


Understood.  But there were some of us who did in fact need to morph bad habits to good.  While not the preferred method, reconditioning was necessary or you'd remain stuck in the past.  No?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Nonconformistlaw

  • Posts: 789
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
"Love" Raps
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 03:35:00 PM »
Quote
On 2005-11-01 11:54:00, Carmel wrote:

"I also remember that if you were a newcomer and you began to show any level of bonding with other newcomers they made sure it was squelched.  Case in point, if you were on a  refresher with someone else at the same time, and you were trying to get back on track or whatever, sometims you and that person would form a small bond in the process.  It never lasted. "

Yeah...and if you as a newcomer got along too well with your oldcomer, then you were moved to make sure the oldcomer was "being strong with you." I guess they moved all newcomers around alot to prevent bonding of any kind.

So while in group they force down our throats they idea of group love for your own good or course, while destroying any bonds to individuals that may form inside or outside the program. Talk about screwing up our desire &/or ability to form real attachments.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline Cayo Hueso

  • Posts: 1274
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
"Love" Raps
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 03:44:00 PM »
Quote
On 2005-11-01 11:58:00, Anonymous wrote:


Understood.  But there were some of us who did in fact need to morph bad habits to good.  While not the preferred method, reconditioning was necessary or you'd remain stuck in the past.  No? "


More often than not though that happens normally thru life's experiences and trials.  When you take that opportunity away and try to force a kid to adopt adult ideas when they're nowhere near ready to, damage is going to be done and most of the time the damage is FAR worse than any kind of natural consequences of adolescent behavior would be.  Now, combine that with all the "love" they barfed out on us (we're only screaming in your face and calling you a druggie whore b/c we LOVE you), the isolation from any other source of information, sleep deprivation, starvation and you've got a first class mindfuck.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
--Albert Einstein

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Anonymous

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 164661
  • Karma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
"Love" Raps
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 03:51:00 PM »
Quote
On 2005-11-01 12:44:00, Cayo Hueso wrote:

"
Quote

On 2005-11-01 11:58:00, Anonymous wrote:



Understood.  But there were some of us who did in fact need to morph bad habits to good.  While not the preferred method, reconditioning was necessary or you'd remain stuck in the past.  No? "




More often than not though that happens normally thru life's experiences and trials.  When you take that opportunity away and try to force a kid to adopt adult ideas when they're nowhere near ready to, damage is going to be done and most of the time the damage is FAR worse than any kind of natural consequences of adolescent behavior would be.  Now, combine that with all the "love" they barfed out on us (we're only screaming in your face and calling you a druggie whore b/c we LOVE you), the isolation from any other source of information, sleep deprivation, starvation and you've got a first class mindfuck.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
--Albert Einstein

"


Well put.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Cayo Hueso

  • Posts: 1274
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
"Love" Raps
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 03:57:00 PM »
Thanks.  It just seems that this whole country got so far off track somewhere w/r to kids and raising them.  It used to be the job of the parents and extended family, now it seems that everywhere you turn the damn gov't is trying to do it FOR parents (behav mod centers, drug testing, mental health screening etc.).  Whatever happened to the parents/families' personal responsibilities to the child?

Most of  the James Dean/Brando type hellraisers in the 50s turned out OK w/o any help from these "treatment centers".  Teen angst has always been around and is an integral part of the process of growing up.  Interupt it at your (or worse your child's) own peril.

The Internet is now safe for free speech.
-- Christopher A. Hansen on the overturning of the Communications Decency Act

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Antigen

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 12992
  • Karma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
"Love" Raps
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 05:43:00 PM »
Quote
On 2005-11-01 10:48:00, Anonymous wrote:

"
Quote

On 2005-11-01 10:47:00, Cayo Hueso wrote:


"Very well put, my friend.  Glad I did have the opportunity to have you as a friend after, you've been a trusted one.






Awwwww, thanks......"


Hey, me too, me too! Both of you and a couple more.

When a well-packaged web of lies
has been sold gradually to the masses
over generations, the truth will seem
utterly preposterous and its speaker
a raving lunatic.      

--Dresden James

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Cayo Hueso

  • Posts: 1274
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
"Love" Raps
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 05:46:00 PM »
Backatcha babe!  ::cheers::

You guys and a few more.

Still, if you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.
--Winston Churchill

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Antigen

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 12992
  • Karma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
"Love" Raps
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 05:52:00 PM »
Quote
On 2005-11-01 11:58:00, Anonymous wrote:


Understood.  But there were some of us who did in fact need to morph bad habits to good.  While not the preferred method, reconditioning was necessary or you'd remain stuck in the past.  No? "


No. Not possible. Nobody remains stuck in the past, unless some adept mindfucker has tricked you into never growing up. We all change and things change around us. Oh, also, while we're at it, feelings are not like some kind of fluid. They don't build up like steam, there's rarely any value in spewing them all over the place over and over again, in fact that can be quite harmful.

Every damned thing you learned in Straight was bass ackward; most especially the first and most blatant lie, that it was good for you.

What are politicians going to tell people when the Constitution is gone and we still have a drug problem?
--William Simpson



_________________
Drug war POW
Straight, Sarasota
`80 - `82
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes