Author Topic: 13 year is killed in Teen Residential Program  (Read 9081 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
13 year is killed in Teen Residential Program
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 11:54:00 PM »
Member of the Nat?l Assoc of Therapeutic Wilderness Camps
http://www.natwc.org/camps/Appalatian%2 ... 20Camp.htm

Related:
As One State Considers Banning Restraints, A Child In Another State Dies After Restraint
by Dave Reynolds,
Inclusion Daily Express
This article is reproduced here under special arrangement with Inclusion Daily Express International Disability Rights News Service.
ROCK HILL, SC & CLEVELAND, GA,

MAY 3, 2005-- The restraint-related death of a 9-year-old boy has prompted the South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services to consider prohibiting group home workers from sitting on children to restrain them. [DUH!]

Jamal Odum suffocated to death in 2003 after a 220-pound group home worker lay across his back for seven minutes during a restraint.

An HHS proposal would ban laying across a child's back or chest, forcing compliance by causing pain, sitting on or straddling any part of the body, or using drugs or mechanical devices to restrain a child.

It would also require group homes to train workers on de-escalation techniques and understanding the risks of restraining children on their stomachs. The proposal would affect about 1,800 children in group homes funded through Medicaid.

http://www.raggededgemagazine.com/drn/05_05.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2005, 11:51:00 PM »
Five Camp Counselors Fired Over Teen's Death
GBI Probe into Matter Ongoing
POSTED: 4:08 pm EDT May 13, 2005

ATLANTA -- Five counselors who worked at a state-run camp for troubled youth where a 13-year-old boy died while being restrained have been fired and a sixth has resigned, officials said Friday as they vowed to review their discipline procedures and conduct more training.

The action was taken in part because the counselors refused to give Travis Parker his asthma inhaler about an hour before he stopped breathing on April 20 at the Appalachian Wilderness Camp in Cleveland, said Gwen Skinner, director of the state division that oversees the site.

In addition, several of the counselors who were fired REFUSED TO TAKE A POLYGRAPH TEST, and officials learned that children at the camp were NOT BEING FED AT APPROPRIATE TIMES, Skinner said.
She stopped short of saying that the restraint itself used on Parker was inappropriate, though she did say counselors will be given more training in how to deal with unruly children.

"We're taking a closer look at how and when we use restraint," Skinner said.

A Georgia Bureau of Investigation probe into Parker's death is continuing. While an autopsy has been completed and state officials have been briefed on its conclusions, the results have not been released publicly. Officials have not said how the boy was restrained.

"Our report when it is finished will be turned over to the district attorney for review," GBI spokesman John Bankhead said. He declined to elaborate.

Records show that Parker was restrained for roughly 90 minutes by counselors who said he was acting belligerently, and during the first 10 or 15 minutes he asked for his inhaler.

However, counselors did not give him the inhaler because a certified emergency medical technician saw no indications such as wheezing that he was having an asthma attack and because the boy had a history of asking for his inhaler when he was being restrained, according to records from the state Department of Human Resources, which runs the camp.

The boy went limp and died the next day at a hospital.
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 12:10:00 AM »
The article indicated:
"Officials learned that children at the camp were NOT BEING FED AT APPROPRIATE TIMES, Skinner said.
She stopped short of saying that the restraint itself used on Parker was inappropriate, though she did say counselors will be given more training in how to deal with unruly children."

Perhaps the children were unruly because they were being starved by the staff.  Obviously this is why this child became so upset.  The boys had been deprived food - then they gave food to two of the boys and probably had the others watch while they ate.  This was obvioulsy done merely to provoke and punish the hungry boys.  Again what a horrible way to die - no food and then NO AIR to breath.  It is truly horrific.  It would have been more humane for them to just give him a lethal injection. To lay on him for 90 minutes and to kill him in a slow and painful manner. This program should be closed and all of the children removed for their safety.  Obvioulsy from their report they had restrained this boy many times before.  How many other have suffered the same treatment and lived.  That's what I'd like to know.  

I don't go lookin' for trouble. I just keep a little in a box should someone come by who is.
--Bill Warbis

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 12:27:00 AM »
Yeh, 'bait and punish'.
Georgia closed all their state-run boot camps a number of years ago because studies showed them to be abusive and ineffective in reducing recidivism.
Is their wilderness program any different? I think not. It just has a warmer, fuzzier appeal than 'boot camp'.

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 11:57:00 AM »
The courts should be held accountable for sending young boys to this horrible place.  It must be closed for this outrageous act of torture and murder. The men involved should be charged with murder.  They purposefully layed on him even after he went completely limp and said out loud that he was "playing the dead fish game." How sad for this family to have their child die in such a brutal and inhumane manner. There isn't a good way to die - but this - this should never have happened in a "therapeutic setting." Is there a link to the editor of the local paper - I really think that we need to write letters of outrage and condolences to the family of this boy.  

Instead of giving money to fund colleges to promote learning, why don't they pass a Constitutional Amendment prohibiting anybody from learning anything? If it works as good as the Prohibition one did, why, in five years we would have the smartest race of people on earth.
--Will Rogers

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2005, 08:38:00 PM »
I was one of Travis's best friends, and he was an older brother and boyfriend to me. I am horrified that someone would do that to Trav. He got into trouble, but he was a genuinely kind, Christian person.Though he was only a year older than me(same grade), he taught me a lot. I want to just say that I hope whoever essentially killed my brother, best friend, and boyfriend can't sleep at night :evil: , like those who suffer from his loss.R.I.P. Travis, and boy, I'll see you someday in the kingdom of Heaven!!!! I love you!!!
                  thanks,
                       Asha

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2005, 01:12:00 PM »
I am one of Travis's best friends. He was an older brother figure, he was a friend, and he was close to being my boyfriend. This was murder. Murder of a genuine christian Black male who deserved to live. He was kind and belive it or not, wise beyond his years. He had a joy in his laugh that was infectious, regardless of his hard young life. I hope whoever killed my brother, best friend and more cant sleep at night, just like all of us who knew and cared for Travis so much. R.I.P.,Trav, and I'll see ya in the Kingdom of Heaven someday.
                   Love,
                      Asha

Offline Angola Cheeba

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2005, 08:33:00 PM »
This is truly appauling. I hope there is a hell so people like that can burn for eternity.
\'homme est ne\'libre et partout il est dans les fers.
Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains.
Jean-Jacques Rousseau
--------------------------------------------

Offline jjpinks

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2005, 11:37:00 AM »
I live (sadly) not more than 20 minutes from where this took place. I am sickened to death when I read about this. I have a son with asthma and if that had been my son, first of all he wouldn't have been there, second of all, if that had happened to him, someone would be dead!!!
quot;Of course life is bizarre, the more bizarre it gets, the more interesting it is. The only way to approach it is to make yourself some popcorn and enjoy the show.\"

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don\'t always agree with them. - George Bush

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2005, 12:44:00 PM »
It's good that local people like you are writing letters - continue to do so until this horrific place is closed. Obviously they have been starving and brutally restraining boys for quite some time.  Only this time they were caught because Travis died.  Unfortunately their brutal deeds are never exposed until a chlid dies. Authorities ignor most complaints of abuse from parents and students. I know first hand - I made a 10-page report to authorities and they did nothing - absoultely nothing to rescue the children from abuse at Provo Canyon School.  All they did was praise the program and tell me that they had NEVER had a complaint before.  

There are not enough jails, not enough policemen, not enough courts to enforce a law not supported by the people.
-- HUBERT H. HUMPHREY, speech (1965)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2005, 07:11:00 PM »
it's travis's friend again...I wanted to say that I don't want another kid to end up like travis...I want to start a petition to get that place closed. How many signatures would I need? Who here thinks a grief-stricken thirteen year old intellectual girl can do it? I'd need  help, and that's where you, my online mourners come into play. post on here what you think, or email me at [email protected]!!!
     thanks
           Asha

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2005, 03:35:00 PM »
::cheers::

Full Text

Camp Counselors Charged in Teen's Death

Six counselors at a state-run wilderness camp for troubled boys were charged with murder in the death of a 13-year-old boy with asthma who was restrained for more than an hour.

A White County grand jury handed up the charges of felony murder, child cruelty and involuntary manslaughter Monday.

"This is all based on the criminal negligence or reckless conduct of these individuals," said White County District Attorney Stan Gunter. "It was due to the restraint, and how they applied it, that has led to these charges."

Travis Parker died April 21, a day after he was held face down by counselors at the Appalachian Wilderness Camp in Cleveland, in the North Georgia
mountains. The boy had angrily confronted one of the counselors for withholding food from him as punishment.

Parker had asthma and was denied his inhaler during the restraint. A medical examiner ruled the death a homicide.

An attorney for counselor Mathew Desing said the counselors restrained the boy as they had been taught.

"They were doing what they were trained to do," attorney Abbi Taylor Guest said. "This is clearly not a case of counselors gone awry." Desing "cared
very much for the children he worked with, and he cared very much for the job of helping those children," she said.

But Gwen Skinner, an official at the Georgia Department of Human Resources, which oversees the camp, said the counselors were not following agency rules or procedures.

"We do not train staff to do face-down restraints," she said.

The other five counselors who were indicted were Ryan Chapman, Paul Binford, Torbin Vining, Johnny Harris and Phillip Elliott.

All six had resigned or been fired after the boy's death. They were expected to turn themselves in to the White County Sheriff's Office on Tuesday, Guest said.

Travis had been ordered to the camp in February. He was on probation after hitting his grandmother, who adopted him, and threatening her with a knife.

His family's attorney, Thomas Cuffie, said the grandmother, Golden Griffin, "would like to see the individuals involved prosecuted because she thinks the evidence that she's seen so far warrants that type of treatment."

Since his death, the state has retrained staff on the use of restraints and is reviewing its policies on when restraints may be used, officials said.

Authorities had said that counselors did not give him the inhaler because an emergency medical technician saw no indications such as wheezing that he was having an asthma attack and because the boy had a history of asking for his inhaler when he was being restrained.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2005, 03:50:00 PM »
Chuck Long II was sentenced to 6 years for his role in the horrific, completely preventable death of Tony Haynes at a boot camp in Arizona in 2001.

A camp counselor was sentenced to four months in jail and three years probation and three other counselors were sentenced to jail and probation for child abuse inflicted on other campers during a weeklong desert ordeal.

Complete story and news links:

http://www.teenadvocatesusa.org/TonyHaynes.html

Barbe Stamps
TAUSA

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2005, 12:41:00 AM »
Cherish-  which authorities did you speak with about PCS, and when?
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2005, 09:00:00 AM »
Camp Counselors Charged With Murder Contend They Followed Proper Procedures    
07-20-2005 8:36 AM

(White County, GA) -- Lawyers for six state counselors charged with murder for restraining 13-year-old Travis Parker and denying him his inhaler contend their clients followed proper procedures. The counselors turned themselves in to authorities to post bond after a grand jury indicted them on several charges including murder, involuntary manslaughter, and child cruelty in the death of Parker in April. A top official at the Georgia Department of Human Services contends the counselors indeed were not following agency rules or procedures when they restrained the boy.