Author Topic: Boonvilel meeting on Kemper  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Devlin

• View Profile
Boonvilel meeting on Kemper
« on: April 12, 2005, 12:44:00 AM »
I was at the meeting on the sale of Kemper tonght. There was a few supporters but about 2/3's was agaist the sale. I started with my presentation and imeadialy tripped up the plans Randal Hinton made right off. First i laid down the licesning laws in Missouri and then ask Randal Hinton if he was going to be the program administrator. He said yes and i then laid down the state guidlines for a program administrated and he did not meet any of them!

They finally admitted they would have to hire somone who was qualified to do the job and work with Randal Hinton.

Next i as them about runaways and how they are going to be handled? He said that if the know somone was going to run they would talk to them.

I then ask what would keep them there? He again said they would talk to them.

I then ask if they just bolted and ran would you restrain them or use force to keep them there? He said NO they would just let the kid run, calling the parents and police. And a staff member would follow them.

Next i brought up the issiues of ranaways stealing cars to escape and protecting the community and that Kemper or WWASP would not be respisable for runaways actions. This outraged the room and others later ask how they would be protedcted as well!

I ended the proposal and then Ned Beach ask the room how many supports licesensure and the whole room raised their hands! Even the Hintons agreed!

The rest of the meeting deal with issues that are already known.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Devlin

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 12:47:00 AM »
My name is Devlin Graves and I am here to oppose the sale of the Kemper Military Academy Property to Golden Pond LLC or (WWASP short for the World Wide Association of Specialty Programs).

Now lets talk about Chapter 210.484 of the Missouri State Statues:

Residential care facilities license required.
RSMo 210.484. Not withstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, the department of health and senior services shall license residential care facilities, as defined in subdivision (10) of section 210.481

Subdivision (10) of section 210.481 "Residential care facility", a facility providing twenty-four-hour care in a group setting to children who are unrelated to the person operating the facility and who are unattended by a parent or guardian.

The only Exceptions to the licensure requirement that could possibly affect Kemper are:
210.516. 1. It shall be unlawful for any person to establish, maintain, or operate a foster home, residential care facility, or child placing agency, or to advertise or hold himself out as being able to perform any of the services as defined in sections 210.481 to 210.536, without having in full force and effect a license issued by the division; provided, however, that nothing in sections 210.481 to 210.536 shall apply to:

(1) Any residential care facility operated by a person in which the care provided is in conjunction with an educational program for which a tuition is charged and completion of the program results in meeting requirements for a diploma recognized by the state department of elementary and secondary education;

Now that Means that WWASP and Mr. (Randal Hinton) should License Kemper, as a ?child caring facility?. According to Missouri State Law unless they can somehow manage to meet certain exemptions provided by the law. The Bottom line is NOBODY forces ANY PRIVATE facility to care for children 24 hours per day ? ESPECIALLY TROUBLED TEENS with drug and alcohol problems and many other issues as well. Caring for TROUBLED TEENS should be done so with the utmost care and that should handled only by LICESENED residential treatment centers that are equipped to deal with TROUBLED TEENAGERS not some ?Boarding School? that is un-licensed. Just recently Utah passed a new law saying that all ?Boarding Schools? that work with TROUBLED TEENS MUST be LICESENED. If Kemper wants to deal with TROUBLED TEENS they should get a license and not masquerade as a ?Boarding School? in order to escape State Licensure.

I have 2 questions for Randal Hinton before I go any further:
1. Are you going to be the program administrator for the proposed Kemper facility?
2. What type of educational background do you have? (I.e. graduated college, high school.)  What is your degree in if you graduated college?

The Rules for Residential Child Care Agencies on Page 14 Line 2 section C it says the following:
The Administrator shall be at lease (25) years of age and shall have one of the following:
1. A masters digress in social work, counseling, social work administration, or a related human service degree, from an accredited school and (2) years experience in the management or supervision of Child Care Personnel and Programs.
2. A bachelor?s degree in social work or a human service area of Study from an accredited school and four (4) years experience in the management or supervision of childcare personnel programs.
3. If the Administrator is responsible for personnel, fiscal management and physical facilities, not responsible for the programs and services of the intrusion, the agency may employ an administrator who has a bachelor?s degree from an accredited school and (2) years experience in child care services.
However, in this case, the agency shall employ a program director who meets the qualifications set forth in 13 CSR 40-71.070(2)(C)1.

This means that Randal Hinton is not qualified to be the program administrator at Kemper according to our state law if it was licensed. If he is not qualified why should he be allowed to run Kemper?  Why should he be allowed to work with any kids in Boonville? Or is Randall Hinton going to try to run Kemper as an un-licensed facility? Even day car centers have to be licensed! I don?t think anyone here would trust any of our children to an un-licensed day care center.

Just two final questions for Randal Hinton please:
· How are you going to keep kids from running away?
· What are you going to do if I kid tries to runaway?

In other facilities located in Missouri, similar to what is proposed at Kemper. The local police have had issues of kids running away and stealing cars in order escape. In fact a recent news article it talks about the sheriff of Caldwell County having problems of kids running away from Thayer Learning Center and stealing cars to escape. There was another such instance in which 3 kids runaway from Mountain Park Academy located in Greenville, MO. They stole a car, and then led police on a dangerous high-speed pursuit eventually crashing the car into a stop sign in a residential neighborhood. Now what are the local residents of Boonville going to when their cars come up stolen and crashed by kids running away from Kemper? As you know Kemper is located in a residential area with the YMCA located next door even.

What if a kid running away from Kemper steals a car and runs over someone or gets in an accident running from the police? Or the cops pursuing the stolen car runs someone over or cause an accident as a result of the pursuit? We all know high-speed pursuits are dangerous. I think there is a Missouri State Law that says that these facilities can't be sued if a kid runs away and causes any kind of damage -like stealing a car or wrecking it-- that means that either WWASP or Golden Pond wouldn't have to pay a dime even if the mayor of the city or a little kid was run down by a stolen car driven by a teen escaping Kemper.

I could go on about the past history of WWASP but that is already known by this council and I don?t want to re-hash information again and again. Thanks for listening to me and please review all the evidence and make up your own minds whether you want WWASP next door. I will make myself available after this meeting for any questions by anyone and also if anyone is interested I can play a copy of the Inside Edition DVD that features WWASP.

Thanks Again.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 01:12:00 AM »
::rocker::  ::rocker::

Don't hate the media. Become the media

--Jello Biafra

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 10:24:00 AM »
Devlin,  Greta job! Great investigative works. Thanks for being there.

Thanks on behalf of the future children who may or may not end up at the newest facility.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 06:21:00 PM »
http://columbiamissourian.com/news/print.php?ID=13228

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Kemper school proposal unveiled
Five protesters denounce a plan to reopen the military school to serve troubled teens.
By SHANNON BURKE

BOONVILLE ? Sign-carrying protesters greeted a controversial educator who on Monday night publicly unveiled a proposal to open the shuttered Kemper Military School as a new school for troubled teens.

With messages such as ?Say no to child torture in Boonville? and ?All children deserve basic human rights,? five protesters stood outside the Boonville City Hall chambers as brothers Randall and Russell Hinton shared their plans with 75 spectators.

Golden Pond Investments Ltd., a Utah-based holding company, wants to lease the property from the city of Boonville, which purchased the abandoned school in 2003, one year after it closed.

The Hintons ? who would sublease the property from Golden Pond Investments and operate the school ? want to open another military school for male cadets in grades 7 through 12. Some Boonville residents are concerned because Robert Lichfield, a corporate officer of Golden Pond Investments, is founder of the World Wide Association of Specialty Schools and Programs, a company that operates schools for troubled teens throughout the U.S. and in several foreign countries.

A preliminary background investigation by the Boonville Police Department reported some of the World Wide Association programs have faced allegations of abuse, and Randall Hinton has worked at several of the World Wide Association schools.

Lesli Racker, a Columbia resident opposed to the project, read a sworn statement from the mother of a student who attended Tranquility Bay, a World Wide Association school in Jamaica.

The statement detailed ?daily torture? and physical abuse the student suffered at Tranquility Bay, some of it allegedly at the hands of Randall Hinton. Racker said she obtained the statement directly from the student?s mother, a friend of hers.

Randall Hinton did not address the charges, saying only that the meeting was not the proper venue in which to discuss the accusations. He did offer a defense of his work, though.

?I have never been charged with a crime,? Randall Hinton said. At the same time, he added that pepper spray ? which had been used at World Wide Association facilities according to the background check by the Boonville Police Department ? would not be used for discipline at the proposed school in Boonville.

Russell Hinton, who for most of the meeting remained in the background, said he has worked at boarding schools in Utah. He did not specify whether those schools were WWASP affiliates.

Randall Hinton also attempted to distance himself from Lichfield.

?I?ve been running my own school for a year and a half,? Randall Hinton said, referring to White River Academy in Puerto Rico.

Hinton does not have a college degree, and many residents expressed concerns about his qualifications to run the school.

?I think it?s wonderful that these gentlemen want to open Kemper, but I see no credentials whatsoever to run Kemper Military School,? said Tom Maxwell, a 1955 Kemper alumnus who lives in Boonville. Before its closing, Kemper was the oldest military school west of the Mississippi.

And the Boonville Police Department released a statement on March 24 expressing concern about the safety of the Kemper campus.

The school would enroll students with behavioral problems, and several residents echoed the Police Department?s concerns about Kemper cadets escaping the grounds and stealing cars to leave.

Ned Beach, president of the city Industrial Development Authority, said the advisory group will bring the proposal to the Boonville City Council meeting on Monday, April 18.

Copyright © 2005 Columbia Missourian

We need cops.

We can't live without 'em.

But they need to start working for us....

That's no longer an option.

They've pushed it.

They've gone to far.

They've just gone to far.
http://www.freedomtoexhale.com/rb.htm' target='_new'>Tom Crosslin

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 10:06:00 PM »
Great Job - I'm glad all of you were there to speak out and speak up agains this type of institutionalized child abuse. :wave:

A democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
A republic is where the sheep get to pick which wolves vote on what to have for dinner.
But in a constitutional republic, voting on dinner is strictly
forbidden.

--A Patriot

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 10:39:00 PM »
Kemper proposal draws a crowd
Gathering gives plan a mixed response.

By JOHN SULLIVAN of the Tribune?s staff
Published Tuesday, April 12, 2005
BOONVILLE - The would-be operators of a proposed military-style school in Boonville responded to questions, statements of support and pointed accusations about child abuse at a public meeting last night.

Randall Hinton, who would head the school that seeks to take over the former Kemper Military School campus, has said repeatedly that his school would have no affiliation with an international organization founded by Robert Lichfield, the wealthy businessman whose Golden Pond Investments Ltd. of Utah has proposed buying the Kemper campus from Boonville. Hinton would sublease the property from Golden Pond.

Lichfield founded World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools, or WWASPS, a group of boarding schools that has received widespread attention in news reports and from government officials for allegations of child abuse.

WWASPS President Ken Kay said Lichfield is one of three board members of the St. George, Utah-based organization, which has seven schools in the United States and two abroad.

At least eight of the group?s schools and programs have closed within the last decade.

Boonville has been trying to sell the Kemper property since the city acquired it for $500,000 in 2003, a year after the school closed. A contract by Lichfield to buy Kemper already sits before the Boonville City Council, although Boonville police are advising the city hold off on a decision until authorities investigate Lichfield?s organization.

Lichfield did not appear at last night?s meeting at Boonville City Hall. Mason Gardner, chief financial officer of Golden Pond.

Gardner repeated claims by Hinton that Kemper, if reopened, would have no affiliation to WWASPS, despite the fact that Boonville city officials confirmed last week that they received a $100,000 check signed by Lichfield as an intent of offer for the property.

Gardner said Golden Pond would front the full cost of the purchase price for Kemper.

The asserted lack of connection between Hinton, Golden Pond and WWASPS riled one speaker at the public meeting, attended by about 70 people.

"Someone who is affiliated with Golden Pond, who is affiliated with WWASPS, who is affiliated with the Hintons: Is that not an affiliation?" asked Jonathan Wilcox of Columbia, who spoke to oppose the sale.

Mark Farrell, secretary of the Kemper Military School Alumni Association, supported Hinton?s proposed school and lashed out at detractors.

"If I thought there was any merit to these accusations, I would be the first one to say ?no,? " said Farrell.

Concerns about Hinton included his credentials. He does not have a college degree, and none of his family members who would help run the school is a licensed educator or mental health professional. Missouri law does not require licensing credentials for teachers in privately owned schools.

Hinton said he would hire a qualified administrator to run the school. He said he would seek accreditation through the Boise, Idaho-based Northwest Association of Accredited Schools & Colleges.

As for the allegations, Hinton said: "I have never been charged for a crime."

Tom Maxwell, a 1955 Kemper alumni and Boonville resident, said he wants to see the school reopened,

"But I see no credentials for" the Hintons "to open Kemper," he said.

Columbia resident Lesli Rackers told Hinton she was a friend of a parent who tried to file a criminal complaint against him. She said the woman was told by the FBI that she would have to file her complaint in Jamaica, where the alleged abuse occurred.

Rackers read aloud from what she said was a notarized affidavit from a woman recounting alleged abuse of her son by Hinton and others eight years ago at a WWASPS facility in Jamaica. Hinton declined comment.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2005/Apr ... ews005.asp

Posted on Tue, Apr. 12, 2005

Skeptical crowd hears plan for school

By STEVE ROCK

The Kansas City Star

BOONVILLE, Mo. ? Before a standing-room-only crowd of 75 or more persons, the prospective new operators of Kemper Military School found themselves on the defensive Monday night.

The setting was a public hearing at City Hall at which residents were invited to show support or voice concerns about a recent bid to purchase Kemper. The school, which closed in 2002, has been owned by the city since April 2003.

A group led by Robert Lichfield, the founder of a controversial association of boarding schools, submitted a formal offer in March to purchase the seven buildings and adjacent property. Lichfield's group would lease the facility to brothers Randall and Russell Hinton, who would operate it.

Lichfield was not at Monday's meeting, but Randall and Russell Hinton have moved to Boonville and attended.

Outside City Hall, protesters holding signs met the Hintons.

?Our plan,? Randall Hinton told the crowd inside, ?is to open the Kemper campus as Kemper.?

The secretary of the Kemper alumni association expressed support, saying the Hinton brothers should get the chance ?to do what's right for Kemper.? Another graduate reiterated that position.

However, Tom Maxwell, who attended Kemper from 1950-55 and has lived in Boonville for 12 years, said he had nothing against the Hintons, ?but I see absolutely no credibility whatsoever to reopen Kemper.?

After speaking, Maxwell received a round of applause.

?These guys are not qualified to run a military school,? Maxwell said after the meeting, which lasted nearly two hours. ?If they want to run a boys' school, that's one thing. But that's not Kemper.?

There were questions about Lichfield's organization, called the World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools. The organization has been the subject of abuse allegations, which an official has denied.

Randall Hinton said after the meeting that the questions raised were fair and the concerns were valid.

He countered those who said he and his brother are too young and don't have the credentials to run a military school ? Randall is 30, Russell is 26 ? by stressing that both had a long history of working with troubled teens.

?That's where our experience is going to come into play,? he said.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 370876.htm

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 11:47:00 PM »
Does anyone have a copy of the afidavit from TB to share. That would be interesting.  Was this forum televised?  Did the council members recieve a lot of letters and so forth....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 11:47:00 PM »
Does anyone have a copy of the afidavit from TB to share. That would be interesting.  Was this forum televised?  Did the council members recieve a lot of letters and so forth....

Offline Devlin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 12:35:00 AM »
the forum was telivised. I dont know where to get one yet i will look into. As i understand you can buy the tape somehow.