Author Topic: Former staff forgivable??  (Read 14907 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Former staff forgivable??
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2002, 06:45:00 PM »
One question...what did 7 stepper Shelby do to actively stop her staff friends from this despicable behavior? Chances are, he/she was laughing right along with them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline dreammagician

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2002, 07:34:00 PM »
I remember those names. I use to be petrified sitting on those blue chairs waiting to be called on. I use to flap the hell out of those arms to motivate or else get poked or sat on. Crazy, I'd like to know what happened to some of those people I use to call foster brothers.

Offline Shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2002, 09:27:00 PM »
Well, Miss (or is it Mr.?) Cleo, I never said they were my friends. I was tagging along with the guy I was dating. Shortly after we realized what horrible, lying mother-fuckers these "caring, devoted" staff members really were, we came up with new ways to spend our evenings. I was soon pregnant and had much more important things to occupy myself with than piece-o-shit staff members.

And you'd be wise to never bet against me.

Shelby

[ This Message was edited by: Shelby on 2002-10-19 19:18 ]

Offline enough

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2002, 01:39:00 AM »
First off I was only a trainee, and even then I was only a fifth phase trainee, and even then I was only in that position for a couple of months at best, probably no more than 5-6 weeks.

Kris ( hedwigfan) was actaully in charge of trainees while I held that position. I can remember a couple of trainee raps with her.

I pulled myself twice via the chain of command (COC). each of the programs operated autonomously- so each had its own quirks. Each program operated under different state laws. In Georgia for example, my understanding was that the program could only legally hold an adult client who asked to elave for 72 hours. My understanding was that in Florida, there was far less oversight, and the program was very well connected- so that they might have been more cavalier about such issues.

In Atlanta a SWACA 9sel withdrawal against clinical advice) was moved up the COC very quickly. Indeed we were instructed as trainees that this was one of the few COC that we should pass up immediately, rather than waiting for the evening or morning COC handoff.

For instance the first time I put in the request and was serious about it, I was talking one on one with a Sr. Rusty Mcdanile in fact, within about ten minutes. Later that night or the very next evening my parents drove over from Huntsville for a conference, with Ann Crow. When I held my ground in that conference, they let me sign out.

When I decided to pull myself the last time, they called my parents immediately, and then we had an exit conference that night. Ann handled this conference as well, and the program was clearly not interested in fighting to keep me in any longer.

I was out the door that evening, only this time my parents went against the exec's advice and allowed me to keep control of the car I was driving, and keep money etc. My parents were not happy that I was walking away, and I was too scared and traumatized to tell them the truth about what had happened.

I can't say what drove them to falsely imprison other kids, my sister and Kris both stand out. I can't say why they did not try to pull that with me otehr than perhaps I was clearly prepared to have them call the police and prove to me. I think I actually told Monty Bingham the last time that if they didn't get me out in twenty four hours then I intended to sue for false imprisonment.

I was furious that I had been set back into group from trainee, for something that I percieved as a problem with my work ethic or job performance, and that they had told me it was because of my drug problem, or even worse- in the office I was told that I was 'slipping' because I had been masturbating too much.

I never heard a staff member, or a fifth phaser or a trainee laugh about clients, or do drugs, or talka about any kind of cheating or holding up COC's and if I had, I would have been the first to report it to an exec.

I took what I was doing very serious, but I am sure there were some who did not. I was totally sold on the life or death aspect of the job, I was dedicated and convinced that I was helping people.

I was also brainwashed, I had become somewhat of a neo-nazi, and it took years for that to wear off.

I know that some of you choose to blame those of us who were on staff etc. I can't make you do anything, but I can implore you to understand that each of us was an individual, we were there for our own reasons, and for the most part we had good intentions.

As I have said before, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Lets just hope that the founders reach the end of road.

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2002, 12:32:00 PM »
There was a distinct separation about the COC's to withdraw. When I first arrived at Straight in '82 the 5th phasers would routinely laugh at people who wanted to withdraw. I saw one guy, Cliff something or another from Willmington, NC, tear up a COC to withdraw in front of the client's face and inform the client that he was NEVER getting out of straight that way. Went back to the side of group and had a good laugh about it. This continued this way for about 6 months to 9 months. Then something happened.

One night an exec. came into group and informed the group that no higher phasers could watch the news on TV or read the newspaper until further notice. A short while later the 5th phasers were chewd put in front of group about COC's to withdraw. They were to be immeadiately processed and given directly to a Jr. or Higher. People started going through the exec. door and not comming back. By then I had bought the whole thing and felt sorry for the poor misguided bastards.

What I believe happened it that some one successfully sued St. Pete or ATL for false imprisionment. This is not to say the leopard changed his spots, Kris can attest to this.

My time on staff came after being out for about a year and a half. I was on staff in 1986 of and on to 1988. I stepped in 1984. While on staff, not much really happened. The misbehavers sucked, all the really bad ones were long gone and no talking behind backs meant no one could pass on their sometimes funny, most often tragic, legacy.

Straight, in my mind, is devided into two separtate places. I am also fairly certain that straight ATL was not nearly as brutal as the other straights. This due in large part to Maria Milnachuk. A definite straight Nazi, but more like Rudolf Hess than Heinrich Himmler.

CL

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2002, 12:57:00 PM »
I was on Sr. Staff when I left Straight, I left because my guilt combined with the pressure from the higher ups was too much together. When I was on staff, I tried to remember what it was like to sit in the blue chair. I dont feel any worse about the things I did on staff then I did about the things I did as an oldcommer. I do know, that today, I am harsher on my friends when they come to me with thier problems, that I would have been if I had never seen straight. I think that the only reason I went on staff is because I was one of those Straightlings that did not know how to function in the real world without straight directing me, hence being on staff still allowed straight to have control over me. When I left staff, I packed everything in my car and moved to a place where no one new of straight or me. That is how I had to start my life over. I cant say that I would freely apologize for anything I did on staff, it was no diffrent that anything most of us did as oldcomers.

Offline wesfager

• View Profile
    • http://www.thestraights.com
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2002, 05:48:00 PM »
Sophia,

You say that phasors were not allowed to read newspaper articles about Straight.  We all know that newcomers can read nothing, not even road signs, but at some point you earn back the privilege to read.  Are you saying that when you were allowed to read, you could not read newspaper accounts about Straight?

Wes Fager
[email protected]
es Fager
www.thestraights.com

\"If David Miscaviage can go to his deposition as Admiral Farragut, then Keith Henson can go as Bozo the Clown.\"  Wes Fager

Offline Shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2002, 07:02:00 PM »
Hey Wes,

I know your question was directed at someone else, but...

I was in the Springfield VA program when the Fred Collins trial was happening. Staff specifically stated that we would be started over if we read anything about it in the newspaper. Needless to say, I made a beeline for the school library the next day and got hold of the Washington Post.

Shelby
[email protected]

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2002, 08:14:00 PM »
Wes, I distinctly remember being told in Atlanta that negative news about straight was to be avoided and not discussed.
Bill
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2002, 12:44:00 AM »
I was in Springfield Straight in '87.  I put in to withdraw.  I was brought to sit with a staff member (jr or sr, not exec) and a fifth phaser.  They told me that if I tried to withdraw, they would have me court ordered on account of the pot I had on me on my intake day.  Being an adult and a little more knowledgeable, I now know that it would have been unlikely for that pot, having not been officially handled as evidence by police, to be admitted as evidence in court.  However, as a teenager I did not understand this at all.  I do not know why it never occured to me to consult a lawyer.  The threat of being court ordered worked on me.  I thought that even when I turned eighteen I would have no choice to leave without facing court, so I had better be good.

There was also withdrawal interview with my parents present.  A higher phaser sat in on it and of course reported back to group, ridiculing me for what I had told my parents about how awful straight was.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2002, 12:44:00 AM »
I was in Springfield Straight in '87.  I put in to withdraw.  I was brought to sit with a staff member (jr or sr, not exec) and a fifth phaser.  They told me that if I tried to withdraw, they would have me court ordered on account of the pot I had on me on my intake day.  Being an adult and a little more knowledgeable, I now know that it would have been unlikely for that pot, having not been officially handled as evidence by police, to be admitted as evidence in court.  However, as a teenager I did not understand this at all.  I do not know why it never occured to me to consult a lawyer.  The threat of being court ordered worked on me.  I thought that even when I turned eighteen I would have no choice to leave without facing court, so I had better be good.

There was also withdrawal interview with my parents present.  A higher phaser sat in on it and of course reported back to group, ridiculing me for what I had told my parents about how awful straight was.

Offline enough

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2002, 07:15:00 AM »
Wes,

The time that we were ALL told not to watch or read anything at all was when 60 minutes aired in 1984. At least in Atlanta.

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2002, 10:40:00 AM »
That rule was not enforced in Michigan Straight in 1990. The rule for pulling went as such : Need to flag down a 5th phaser when meds were passed out in the morning and we need to request it with the nurse. She in turn would go to staff and if your request was granted you would be pulled out of group to speak to staff and your parents and see if you were allowed to be "pulled".
If you are 18 and not court ordered you can pull yourself from the program and your request would be granted within 24 hours.

On 2002-10-18 06:12:00, Tampa survivor wrote:
I remember in rules rap how the person relating the "pull yourself" rule would sarcastically say that "if you tell the 5th phaser, and He May send your request up to junior, where you MIGHT get talked to bout it, then SR will, eventually, try to talk you out of it....and so on."  The rule was recited with giggles and sarcasim as we all KNEW that requests to pull oneself were routinly IGNORED, even if the client was over 18.  In the early 80's, I venture to say almost nobody got to pull themselves unless they split or had an outside helper to pressure the program about it.  Many 18 plus people were held for LONG periods, stating the desire to leave.  I remember Miller Newton telling a guy in exec rap who had sent a pull request up the coc that"I haven't seen it, follow COC"  

JR and SR staff sat on it, but I am sure Miller was 1st to know when a request went in.  Sr and jr staff ROUTINELY stalled pull requests, or allowed themselves to be used as cover.  Any former staff wish to comment...

Bill

[ This Message was edited by: tampa survivor on 2002-10-18 06:14 ]
[/quote]
usan Minns

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2002, 02:30:00 PM »
What the hell guys don't let them turn us against each other like they did in the program. Their whole operation was based on turning us against ourselves and each other. We are all victims. Staff is also.
or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2002, 07:42:00 PM »
Yeah, its me again,"say hello to the bad guy". Seriously though, I guess alot of people were offended by my" stop fucking complaining" remark. Well let me apologize for my insensitivity. I just came back to this thread today and was really surprised by the strong reaction to my post. My intentions were not to ridicule or hurt anyone. I was in Straight for over 2 yrs. Straight, however, compared to what I had been through prior to that was, relativily speaking, not the worst place I couldve ended up. I am not nor have I ever been a straightling. Yes, I was on staff because at the time I BELIEVED in what I was doing, I was in straight in the 80s and at 16 a majority of my friends had passed away and a couple of the older ones were in prison.Yes I was on a personal crusade. MI straight, although still abusive in many ways, did not have physical restraints, hence a "client" could walk out of the building at will. Perhaps with having freedom of choice came more compassion from those higher on the chain of command. I know that that kind of "freedom" was nonexistent at the other facilities. When restraining laws passed in MI the whole dynamics of the "program" shifted.Yes I do believe that I was compassionate and very empathetic. As for my earlier post, since you believe in one being able to expresses ones feelings freely, Im sure you understand that we all get exasperated from time to time. It is also not easy to be severly critized for what one did in a loving way and with noble intent. I do not hide who I am Iam not ashamed my name is Quddus and my user name is Quddusism. my e mail is [email protected]. Once again I sincerly apologize to anyone whom took offense to my post. Was it really that deep? perhaps