Author Topic: WWASP - BEWARE  (Read 2592 times)

Offline tlcrescue

• View Profile
WWASP - BEWARE
« on: February 11, 2005, 05:19:00 PM »
i was recently contacted by someone of what they call "Teens in Crisis".  Their website is http://www.2helpteens.com/bootcamps/index.html

I have never visited that site until today, so I don't know they got my email address (it is different from the one here).  At any rate, ALL they push are WWASP schools.  They support Spring Creek Lodge, Carolina Springs, Casa by the Sea, Cross Creek Programs and Tranquility Bay.

Below are the emails, so beware people!

Dear Karyn,

I am trying to find out if you have need for help concerning your teen. I would like to help in doing something in an extremely structured environment that will help start your teen on the track to a better future for them and for you.

I Hope things are going better For you, but if not we are here to help.
It is horrible to hear from a parent whose child is about to turn 18 and they have been dealing with the problems for years and it is getting worse. Programs need time to work with the child. The problem did not happen overnight and it takes a while to help relearn appropriate behaviors.

For your teen's sake, please don't put off this difficult decision until it is too late. We can get them the help needed right now.

I Would love to Talk and go over the options we have for Schools, financial Loans and Suggested Funds Plan That can help you in this difficult time. I Look Forward to your call.

May God bless you in your efforts.

Paul Curtis
Teens in Crisis
Admissions Coordinator

My response:

Paul, my son was in a bootcamp military style school for one week and it turned out to be a horrible experience.  I am open to other schools, but after what happened to my son, I will not agree to enroll him a school that (1) limits contact with your child; (2) censors all phone and mail; (3) and uses excessive restraints/force as a means of consequence.

Do you have any schools like this?

His Response:

Dear Karyn,
I understand your concerns. The schools I represent
have a 97% success record in turning the lives of troubled
teens around. The three things you mentioned are the primary
reasons why they are so successful. I dont feel that they are
right for you however because of your concerns. The schools
need to show tough love and zero tolerance. They do not use
restraints unless the teen is out of control. My prayers are with you
in finding the right kind of school for your son.
ThankYou,

This is such a CROCK.  97% my azz......
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
WWASP - BEWARE
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 06:28:00 PM »
Well, at least he showed a little bit of honesty there, by saying (though not ouright) that their "schools" limit cotact with parents and censor mail and phone calls.

Most WWASP admissions people will tell you whatever they feel you want to hear, just to get you to send your kid to one of their concentration camps.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
WWASP - BEWARE
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 08:10:00 PM »
i remember getting almost the same letter!

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
WWASP - BEWARE
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 08:18:00 PM »
I'm part of the supposed 97%!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
WWASP - BEWARE
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 09:25:00 PM »
When you really look at it, there's only about 3% of the people posting negatives - There are way more that live in the real world and know that the WWASPS schools helped, but didn't do it for them.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
WWASP - BEWARE
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 09:46:00 PM »
yikes, i think there is more then 3%. does anyone actually have the statiscal report?

Offline chi3

• View Profile
WWASP - BEWARE
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 01:59:00 AM »
This is hilarious! We went into the whole thing completely innocent, and came out totally jaded. We were lied to by ed. cons., teen help people, people at the "school," billing office,etc. We were never told that we would have limited or no contact. we were never told about the mail or phone censoring. we were never told about the restraining. we were never told about the behavior modification, the seminars, how you earned privileges, requirement of parents attendance at seminars. I think I could go on forever. Basically they all lied. They lied to get the money. They probably couldn't even tell you my child's name right now. They don't give a damn! People:Get it through your heads if you are new to all of this, it is a prison camp for you to put your kid into until they outgrow their little problems. They hold them there, they make excuses to keep them longer and longer, they make lots of money. end of story.

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
WWASP - BEWARE
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 05:56:00 AM »
Not all the schools do that. The one I went to helped me. There are corrupted programs as well.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
WWASP - BEWARE
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 04:02:00 PM »
Perri, even if it helped you, they still have the same policies as Chi described wrt communication, mandatory seminars and a lot of other subtle control mechanisms. They don't tell the parents about those policies unless the parents explicitly ask about them. And then they tend to misreprestent them. For instance, they describe the seminars as "voluntary", but contact between the kid and parents is contingent on parents completing the seminars. That's not voluntary, not by the more commonly accepted definition.

I think I remember you telling us that you took the exit plan. Here's how that is explained to the parents: http://www.bulletinboards.com/view.cfm? ... sch#784018

Notice how Gilcrease starts out w/ paragraphs on how to use the Exit Plan to pressure the kid into staying till graduation, then cautions the parents not to use the Exit Plan as a way to pressure the kid into staying?

How was it explained to you?

I'm glad you're doing well, Perri. But I'm w/ Nil on how that happened. You got your act together despite all the 'help', not because of it.

What is ominous is the ease with which some people go from saying that
they don't like something to saying that the government should forbid it. When you go down that road, don't expect freedom to survive very long.
--Thomas Sowell

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
WWASP - BEWARE
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 05:39:00 PM »
Yes and no. I took my exit plan when I was at home (after I graduated). I have succeeded cause I wanted to but also because the program taught me to think in different ways. I chose to listen. The seminars, and limited family contact were not misrepresented to me. I understood what I was going to endure. I may not have known exactly what was going on (in specific) but I did know the basics.
To say that I succeeded all on my own is wrong. My therapist in the program, the seminars, and the time to reflect all played a part. That's like saying a couple who goes through therapy together did it all on their own. No they didn't. Things got better because they took in what they learned. The therapist gave them ideas and opinions. Same as the program. I succeeded partly because of me, and partly due to other sources.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
WWASP - BEWARE
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 06:03:00 PM »
What's wrong with "control?"  Weren't the kids OUT OF CONTROL and that's why the parents decided to change the environment or whatever?  Cross Creek, nor any of the WWASPS programs control thoughts, only the environment, like when to get up, go to class, meet with the therapist, eat, go to sleep. Kids learn inner control/self-control...what's wrong with that?

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
WWASP - BEWARE
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2005, 06:08:00 PM »
On 2005-03-12 15:03:00, Anonymous wrote:

"What's wrong with "control?"  Weren't the kids OUT OF CONTROL and that's why the parents decided to change the environment or whatever?  Cross Creek, nor any of the WWASPS programs control thoughts, only the environment, like when to get up, go to class, meet with the therapist, eat, go to sleep. Kids learn inner control/self-control...what's wrong with that? "

IMO, my job as a parent is to teach and guide...not control them.  Controlling them doesn't work anyway, its temporary.  Teaching and guiding sticks with them.  

and FWIW, I don't believe for a second that WWASPS programs do NOT try to control thoughts.  That's what its all about!

you Momma is a big fat's ________
--Leroy Brown

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
WWASP - BEWARE
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2005, 06:19:00 PM »
No. Ok, scenario for you closed minded people: A person who has a drug problem has a lot more going on internally. Yes it's an addiction. However, there's a reason behind the addiction. Whether it's to escape reality or to avoid it. It could be other things as well. Anyhow, in order to treat the addiction they need to find a way to clear their head. A therapist is one option. A therapist helps them to think in different ways. The therapist may even have certain methods of dealing with the ailment. Is it brainwashing? No, a person can choose to listen or not.
Now, the program never was about forcing people to think a certain way. My therapist helped me to work through my inner fears, beliefs, and past. Besides, the human mind is not always credited with it's true strength.
Control? No. The media is more mind controlling then the program.

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
WWASP - BEWARE
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2005, 06:26:00 PM »
On 2005-03-12 15:19:00, Perrigaud wrote:

"No.

No what?

Anyhow, in order to treat the addiction they need to find a way to clear their head. A therapist is one option. A therapist helps them to think in different ways. The therapist may even have certain methods of dealing with the ailment. Is it brainwashing? No, a person can choose to listen or not.

A person can choose to go to a therapist or not.  These kids have no choice in anything once they're put into one of these places or to even go in the first place.  BIG difference.

The problem with the "teen help" industry is that it's a bad "solution" in search of a problem.

http://fornits.com/wwf/bb_profile.php?mode=view&user=943' target='_new'>Julie C.

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
WWASP - BEWARE
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2005, 06:38:00 PM »
No to these places are about mind control. In actuality only one WWASP facility (it may have changed now) has therapists. When I went your parents could have declined 1 on 1 therapy. Group therapy was mandatory. Now, how do you explain the "mind control"? They forced us to talk about our feelings *gasp* those horrible people! Please, the way to inner clensing (in my opinion and belief) is through dealing with the past. Not living in it just dealing and coming to terms with the past. For me that's what it took. Nowadays I try to live my life with little regret. I don't take advantage of people. I don't cry about the things I've been through. In doing that I feel at peace. Nothing is more amazing than feeling peaceful and happy. How many people can say that nowadays? Can you?