Author Topic: Rite of Passage Schools  (Read 1198 times)

Offline tlcrescue

• View Profile
Rite of Passage Schools
« on: February 08, 2005, 01:11:00 PM »
Does anyone know anything about this school?  I talked to them today and went down the "list of questions to ask" and they seem to be pretty good. They don't restrict access to the children, you can call and visit, they dont monitor phone calls, mail, etc.  They will let you and your child tour the facility before hand, etc...

any input would be greatly appreciated!  After my son's experience at Thayer, I just want to make sure that I send him to the right place.  I will do lots and LOTS of research before I send him anywhere now!

If my son doesn't feel comfortable with the school when we tour, then he doesn't go!  Plain and simple!  Believe it or not, he wants to help as much as I want hi to get help, he doesnt like where his life is headed but doesn't know how to stop it.  Of course, after one week of hell at Thayer, he is doing good, but once the trauma of it all wears off, I am concerned the old ghosts will reappear.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Rite of Passage Schools
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 05:32:00 PM »
What are his actual issues?

First, evaluate the NEED for a place like this. There is help that isnt in the form of living away from home locked up somewhere.

Then, if there is a need for a place, look into a day program and have him home at night.

Finally - IF, and its a unlikely IF, he HAS To be in one of those places, make damn sure there is CONSTANT uncensored uncontrolled contact and you can visit ANY time you damn well please.

There's no biochemical test to distinguish the so-called manic-depressive person from the elated or despondent football fan. Nor is there any resan to assume the manic-depressive's inner experience is driven by twisted molecules while the football fan's is driven, at worst, by twisted values
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312113668/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> Dr. Peter Breggin, Toxic Psychiatry

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Rite of Passage Schools
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 06:53:00 PM »
From their website:
What does Rite of Passage do?
Rite of Passage administers a positive peer culture behavior management system that builds on the adolescent need to belong. We provide a model for group living through demonstrating respect, tolerance, and the giving/ receiving of feedback. Students are required to meet high standards of academic, vocational, behavioral and athletic accomplishments.

Sounds like a typical WWASP/CEDU group "therapy" thing. This doesn't sound good, at all. Please, don't make the same mistake twice. Keep your kid at home. Research your local outpatient and day programs, look into local therapists. There are many options at the local level that you could use. Therapists, outpatient/day programs, mentoring programs. Look into the options available in your area. Don't make the same mistake twice.

Offline Mrs. Doubtfire

• View Profile
Rite of Passage Schools
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 09:00:00 PM »
Contact Shelby Earnshaw, Director of ISAC. She won't be able to tell you which facility will be best for your child, but she can, most assuredly, tell you which one NOT to send him to.

http://www.isaccorp.org/watchlist.html

I also agree with the person who suggested another facility may not necessarily be the answer, contingent on the needs and complexities of your child.

Is nothing available in your community through your schools, church, Big Brother/Big Sister, or other mentor programs or mental health facilities.

Be as cautious as your gut and your heart tell you to be, as it wisely helped you rescue your child. Be that vigilant again.