Author Topic: Legal Redress...  (Read 6060 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Legal Redress...
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2002, 12:25:00 PM »
Yup, you're correct. Just recently, in fact, Don Smith (the host of that group) sent out a post looking for interest in a class action.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
Legal Redress...
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2002, 01:31:00 PM »
Why do so many people go around acting like they care about what we are doing? Then when it comes time to act, they hide! I would expect that there may be a few wallflowers, but now I get the feeling like there are hundreds of wallflowers. You know, this aint goin to be easy, folks. If you sit behind the screen of your computer, you feel all powerful and anonymous. That works great for you, but when you want something done about this situation, what are you doing? Sitting behind your computer! Actions speak louder than words. I believe it will be easier to convince the public and the authorities in this country about the truth if more of us would be active in the protests, mailing out information, etc etc. Jeewiz, you get out of it what you put into it. That is a fact. If I am going to be sticking out my neck from one battle to the next up here, I would hope and expect that many more people would want to join in and help. Maybe my expectations are of a selfish nature, but what army won a war with one platoon? Helluva of a thought, but it is an honest one. If all you do is stand by, then that is all that will happen. Let's see a thousand people marching together for the cause! When applying for a permit with the US Park Police in Washington DC, tell them to expect at least 1000 people to march down Constitution Ave to the Capitol and see what they say. The group that went from St Pete to Va was the "mayflower" group. Let's build a thousand replica boats and send them to Mel & Co. Well, that's it for now. Hope to hear about something new happening soon.
MG8

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
Legal Redress...
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2002, 10:12:00 PM »
Marching in washington. Like anybody is gonna give a shit.  A few hundred thousand will get you big time noticed(think Farrakan a few years ago),ten thousand would definately grab some good newsprint in the papers( think the repartions for slavery crowd a few weeks ago), and the fact is, that with every angry straight, seed, sembler lover among us, we might put togther a few hundred.
I am realistic.  Sure, sign me up.  I love DC.  Can we do it in spring?  Really, for a sizable group to travel, a grassroots movement is needed.  We don't have one.  Is there a specific, organized method of grouping victims, thier feelings about the program, and devising a way to persistently grind away at an agenda.  Look at the bunny huggers.  If you went to legalize Manatee Barbeque tommorow, a million people would be up in arms, and at lest ten thousand would  descend on Tallahasee like the plague within a week of the organizers asking.  Well, I would join a group and participate in its activities, but how many others will?
Well????
Bill
ps  Can we get Jimmy Buffet to sing at a fundraiser....
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
Legal Redress...
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2002, 12:39:00 AM »
Well, when we protested the Italian Embassy in DC, my family outnumbered all the other participants combined! LOL...Whatever. I think there is merit to exposing the tyranny of Mel Sembler and his cronies, along with the Newtons and Bushes, etc... What ever happened to the guy that disappeared down there in Fla back in 76? Was he a target of Sembler and Co? Who knows. I think the main problem now is that people think that this MOVEMENT is a futile one, when thinking realistically, I would surmise the same idea. However, I think very abstract and abnormal thoughts, so this goal of vindication and justice is within reach for me. I need to get some funding first, like Chris and the SAFETY Net people are supposed to be getting soon. I don't hear much from them, so I have NO idea what the hell is going on with that. I have a few people up here willing to sacfrice themselves to the cause, but I do not want to have a conflict with the Fla people if they already have an agenda. I have been told to have my own agenda, don't worry about them. I get nervous thinking about being face to face with the President or any other high ranking government official and trying to describe what the goals of the MOVEMENT are and what needs to happen to satisfy everyone. Maybe there is no omnipotent satisfaction. There will always be someone who has a friggin problem with something. On a bit of a lighter note, If I say, "Hey, April is Straight Survivor Month, come to DC on the 4th and march to the US Capitol from the Lincoln Memorial starting at NOON." How many people would make it up and over here. Hmmm. Good question. Mel may die of a heart attack by then. I'll tell you right now that the march can be arranged. I am thinking very seriously right now about another event to get people involved. Much like a boycott or a civil disturbance somewhere totally unrelated to Straight Inc interests. Those would be the attention getting places. If someone went into a laundromat and started pulling out everyone's laundry and throwing it about, say "Straight Inc. made me do it" LOL... after a couple hundred incidents like this nationwide, there would be people talking everywhere about Straight, Inc. including the police and lawyers and all the people we need on our side to finally get these people held accountable. Well, whatever, nobody posted anything on the group site Sunday. That's a first. Maybe most people are going to be wallflowers and hope the sky falls first. Who knows. Meanwhile, get your bus or plane ticket ready for April. That is sounding more like a plan with every passing moment. We need to make sure that Congress will be there that day and not on some vacation like they are now.    MG8.

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
Legal Redress...
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2002, 12:39:00 AM »
Well, when we protested the Italian Embassy in DC, my family outnumbered all the other participants combined! LOL...Whatever. I think there is merit to exposing the tyranny of Mel Sembler and his cronies, along with the Newtons and Bushes, etc... What ever happened to the guy that disappeared down there in Fla back in 76? Was he a target of Sembler and Co? Who knows. I think the main problem now is that people think that this MOVEMENT is a futile one, when thinking realistically, I would surmise the same idea. However, I think very abstract and abnormal thoughts, so this goal of vindication and justice is within reach for me. I need to get some funding first, like Chris and the SAFETY Net people are supposed to be getting soon. I don't hear much from them, so I have NO idea what the hell is going on with that. I have a few people up here willing to sacfrice themselves to the cause, but I do not want to have a conflict with the Fla people if they already have an agenda. I have been told to have my own agenda, don't worry about them. I get nervous thinking about being face to face with the President or any other high ranking government official and trying to describe what the goals of the MOVEMENT are and what needs to happen to satisfy everyone. Maybe there is no omnipotent satisfaction. There will always be someone who has a friggin problem with something. On a bit of a lighter note, If I say, "Hey, April is Straight Survivor Month, come to DC on the 4th and march to the US Capitol from the Lincoln Memorial starting at NOON." How many people would make it up and over here. Hmmm. Good question. Mel may die of a heart attack by then. I'll tell you right now that the march can be arranged. I am thinking very seriously right now about another event to get people involved. Much like a boycott or a civil disturbance somewhere totally unrelated to Straight Inc interests. Those would be the attention getting places. If someone went into a laundromat and started pulling out everyone's laundry and throwing it about, say "Straight Inc. made me do it" LOL... after a couple hundred incidents like this nationwide, there would be people talking everywhere about Straight, Inc. including the police and lawyers and all the people we need on our side to finally get these people held accountable. Well, whatever, nobody posted anything on the group site Sunday. That's a first. Maybe most people are going to be wallflowers and hope the sky falls first. Who knows. Meanwhile, get your bus or plane ticket ready for April. That is sounding more like a plan with every passing moment. We need to make sure that Congress will be there that day and not on some vacation like they are now.    MG8.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Legal Redress...
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2002, 06:36:00 PM »
i'll march in dc in april

Offline hedwigfan

• View Profile
Legal Redress...
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2002, 10:12:00 PM »
What is the statue of limitations on this type of abuse? Any lawyers out there with any idea? Also, being very new to this forum, I'm not sure how many folks out there have any idea what Straight was (public awareness) and what kind of lasting damage it has done. I guess I'd like to know, what needs to be done to successfully organize a march?
ll this world is but a play
Be thou the joyful player
\"Maya\"  The Incredible String Band

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
Legal Redress...
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2002, 10:48:00 PM »
For me the program ended 20 years ago.  Only capital offenses could be prosecuted criminaly this far out.  So, that leaves civil.  Hmm, but who to sue? Go for the money?!  THEY ARE STILL THE TOAST OF THE DRUG WARRIORS TODAY. Sembler, Dupont,Hartz,etc. Can they be connected to causing or abetting  the wrongdoing?  Can they even be PROVEN to have known?  Barring "smoking gun" paper like internal memos, staff notes, it is all just heresay. I have a dream where a former exec staffer has an epihphany of sorts and surfaces with that type of thing. Quite a few former "kid staff" lurk about here, but pressing hard upon them is wrong as they were victims of cultlike programming too. I know at least one who has had a HARD time with coming to grips with what she did.
I remeber vividly many incidences which would turn a juries guts, but no lawyer will touch it, unless you self-fund the litigation.  Ever sued an Ambassadour? It is not done lightly.  
Bill
Bill H
12/80-12/82

Offline hedwigfan

• View Profile
Legal Redress...
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2002, 08:02:00 PM »
This is complicated because I don't think the general public perceives us to be victims at all. Hell, it's taken me almost 20 years to realize that what happened in Straight was abuse! (I was pushing down my feelins'). My parents are STILL involved with other straight parents, and these people are invited to our family events!
  I saw a posting somewhere that talked about all the young kids whose education was disrupted for months/years. I wonder about approaching the media from that type of direction (e.g., what percentage of phasers  actually completed their high school educations?). Everyone is so hot about education, especially now that Georgia has the lowest SAT scores in the nation. How did Straight get around providing educational services? Even in mental hospitals, kids go to school.
  Another thing is, does anyone have any idea of how many Straight survivors have ended up in therapy, committed suicide, etc.? I remember all the kids who carved on their arms and the scars they still must have. Did anyone have photos?
  Sorry I'm going on and on. Haven't been sleeping well since I started therapy for all this repressed mental anguish.
  I'll end with a favorite quote by author, Hermann Hesse: "I wanted only to live in accordance with the promptings which came from my true self; why, then, was that so very difficult?"
ll this world is but a play
Be thou the joyful player
\"Maya\"  The Incredible String Band

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
Legal Redress...
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2002, 09:41:00 AM »
Regarding the schooling staff at Straight, in my stay there, we were able to recieve our homework from our parents who in turn went to the schools to get it, I believe Straight scrapped by with the bare minimum to allow us to "learn" (ha, that was a joke). So they didn't get in trouble with authorities, at least the year and the one I went to (1990 in Plymouth).
Also, regarding any Straight survivors, for those who have survived, I think it takes a while for those to come to realize exactly what happened to them (myself, it took me 10 years to actually understand).
For those who didn't survive, I haven't heard from many from Plymouth, but only 1 I can recall, one died from going back to drugs and died on an overdose, she was a staff member for a long time.
A few I heard that went back to gangs or drug using. But those are the ones who wern't strong enough to survive.
usan Minns

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
Legal Redress...
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2002, 12:04:00 AM »
Hey, lots of strong people were broken, Lurray Harbor in Tampa was one.  She was a 13 yearold fireball of a misbehavior at about 95 pounds. 1981. I watced her slice and dice her skin worse than anybody, split, fought, bit and finally won her fredom.  Her sister confirmed, dead before 1987.  How about the people dumped by thier families?  Not all of us went to a program with school....I am a sharp student and still graduated a year late.  Homework??? Wow, I wasnt trusted with a pencil at times, so I wrote MIs in crayon.  To have had anything to stimulate the mind would have been great.
Bill
Bill H
12/80-12/82

Offline Sunshinegirl0420

• View Profile
Legal Redress...
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2002, 12:40:00 AM »
1988 boston, no school what-so-ever until third phase.   when i finally got there i was screwed yet again!! as an "out of town client"  it proved to be rather difficult to enroll . i was shuffled all the time as a "host sister". my mom couldnt take time off to figure it all out.                   Thats okay. i went home for the first time ( to connecticut)  and ran.  i wasnt surprised to be returned. but it was better being on first phase (in a sick way)  since i was out of town i didnt go home on 2nd phase i was still in host homes,  i was always living with a phaser higher up(4th ,5th) and i would get stuck with the newcomers' all of the time  while they watched tv radio etc   i was a baby sitter

[ This Message was edited by: Sunshinegirl0420 on 2002-09-12 21:43 ]

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
Legal Redress...
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2002, 08:34:00 AM »
The law may have changed or since a few Straights were closed at the time of my incarceration, could be that the law finally got after them and they needed to have schooling of some sort. Back in 1990
usan Minns