Author Topic: What is CEDU's contribution to your current situation?  (Read 6072 times)

Offline Psianide

• View Profile
What is CEDU's contribution to your current situation?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2007, 12:34:42 AM »
Quote from: ""shanlea""
Various posters have shared that they have suffered PTSD years and years after CEDU.  Even posters who are "successful" in many areas say that CEDU has done serious harm to their relationships and has affected them in ways that still impact them today.

What I am trying to discern is how? How specifically has it affected you guys? How does the PTSD affect you and how do you trace it to CEDU?

I AM DEFINITELY NOT UNDERMINING ANYONE'S EXPERIENCE AT ALL.  I have been very forthcoming about what I think of CEDU.  I'm just trying to make sense of CEDU's impact on my life better and also other earlier events in my life.  Sometimes people articulate exactly what I'm feeling but didn't know how to express.

I know that when I split CEDU I was totally unprepared for the real world because I still thought in terms of the black and white rules, bans, and lingo of CEDU.  I was trying to "live in agreement" even though I split to get away from it.  I had a hard time with friends expecting them to be totally honest and living in accordance to CEDU's arbitarary set of values. All of this was TOTALLY unconscious.  Anyway, that is one example.  

Really difficult question, but I'll attempt to give a reader's digest version here.

I have a major, 2 year long, life and personality altering experience in my background that I don't trust, and that produces serious cognitive dissonance.  My self image, relationships, and outlook, have all been touched by the experience.   Added to that, there aren't many people who can relate to my experience; I feel privilaged to have one in my life who I'm close to.

Im avoiding the term PTSD here because it obscures the very organic and intuitive mechanism. You and I were snapped into and out of an intense, frightening and alien culture with no warning, and we assimilated it into our outlook on life. Its only called "trauma" because it exagerrated our defensive and survival mechanisms to the point where we use them in our daily lives in ways others don't.

When I got out of NWA I watched my back like mad. I tried to stay in agreement. I flipped the first time I kissed a girl, and I had propheet flashbacks when I heard neil diamond. I was acting strongly on a survival mechanism that no longer applied.  

The other side of this is that I made some behavoiral changes at cedu that helped me get along better with others. This was also part of my survival strategy as it helped me keep from getting chewed out in raps.

The necessity to use these survival strategies has dimmed with the stimuli that necessetated them in the first place, however, many of them remain to greater or lesser degrees.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
quot;Anyone who doesn\'t understand how a book of lies can be useful won\'t like this one either\" -Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2007, 01:15:24 PM »
an excellent post psianide.
thanks for posting it,

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2007, 01:56:16 AM »
i find your words very painful to read.  i can only imagine the pain you must experience to express this sentiment.

Quote from: ""mikehunt""
at cedu, my defiance and sense of individuality were made much stronger.  i learned a lot about people; i was motivated to pay more attention to the subtleties of my human encounters... i'm now incredibly observant, and i'm great at figuring people out, which helps me in more ways than i could possibly imagine; cedu helped me to take my manipulative skills to a new level.

you take what you want to from things in your life; a lot of people want to get wrapped up in the "trauma" of painful experiences.  maybe you were traumatized because you realized how fucked up things can really be... at least you've been more closely acquainted with mundane reality now, which can help you cope with the rest of your life.   i don't know the best way for each of you to turn your "trauma" into strength, but i'd highly recommend that you figure it out.

laura solomon

cedu vet. 1996-1999

RIP[ This Message was edited by: mikehunt on 2004-08-11 07:18 ]

you clearly have used cedu as a way to increase your ability to survive in this equally misguided and dysfunctional world/country.

but a lie remains a lie and a betrayal remains a betrayal, and if you choose to lie to yourself, you will only hurt others the way you have been hurt, and maybe you won't even see it.

don't let yourself settle for the unrelentingly cruel psychological environment that cedu trained us all to enforce on ourselves.

and if you really are kind to yourself already, than i hope you can find it in yourself to be understanding of how much harder it is for some of us to seperate ourselves from the monsters those counselors felt it necessary to convince us that we are, which we most unequivocably are not.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2007, 10:52:53 AM »
i was misunderstood for a long time and went through unexplainable depression after graduating the program in the mid nineties. I was lucky enough to go to a good therapist that diagnosed me with first Bipolar and then changed his mind after some months and we started talking about the program. I couldn't explain how it made me feel to actually talk about what I felt there. It was a terrible empty pitiful scary feeling and I loved my experience in Idaho. I couldn't understand why I started to shake and cry and dream about being there. The pschiatrist and I worked for a while and I was diagnosed with PTSD, and it was from the program and the family issues with being there, and what turned out to be a lot of memories that were repressed like during the I want to live and that imagine, it was terrible, actually, even though it was special. It was so hard to explain to my doctor about it all, and she was the first to want to understand. Man, it was such a help to realize what blocked me being happy so much. I didn't think the program was bad like dog cage bad or corproal violence bad but they were wrong to force emotional response from people and say it was wrong or not let us tell people outside the program the bad things that happen. I forgave but it took me really having a hard look at those times up there and correctly prescribed medication for me to cope with some of the depression I felt. I now understand that some not all, some, of what happened to me there was wrong. wrong wrong!

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2007, 03:15:10 AM »
like during the I want to live and that imagine,

:o  :o

The imagine? What the fuck happened in the imagine? I remember the fucked up shit in the IWTL, but not the imagine. I remember the picture and the game, and that's pretty much it.

Offline alia23

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2007, 10:42:05 PM »
you said some, not all.

but i would say most, at least.  wrong wrong wrong.
lia
your silence will not protect you

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2007, 06:39:44 AM »
Various posters have shared that they have suffered PTSD years and years after CEDU.  Even posters who are "successful" in many areas say that CEDU has done serious harm to their relationships and has affected them in ways that still impact them today.

What I am trying to discern is how? How specifically has it affected you guys? How does the PTSD affect you and how do you trace it to CEDU?

I AM DEFINITELY NOT UNDERMINING ANYONE'S EXPERIENCE AT ALL.  I have been very forthcoming about what I think of CEDU.  I'm just trying to make sense of CEDU's impact on my life better and also other earlier events in my life.  Sometimes people articulate exactly what I'm feeling but didn't know how to express.

I know that when I split CEDU I was totally unprepared for the real world because I still thought in terms of the black and white rules, bans, and lingo of CEDU.  I was trying to "live in agreement" even though I split to get away from it.  I had a hard time with friends expecting them to be totally honest and living in accordance to CEDU's arbitarary set of values. All of this was TOTALLY unconscious.  Anyway, that is one example.  

I have RMA to thank for warping my brother into a total paranoid skitzo.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2007, 09:24:43 AM »
Quote from: ""Che Gookin""

I have RMA to thank for warping my brother into a total paranoid skitzo.

OUCH.  This I did not know.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2007, 05:52:01 PM »
Yeah fun times.. We used to have the typical big brother kicks little brother's ass relationship. Now we can't even be in the same room together for more than an hour before he is trying to reorganize my life for me and laying down some good therapy lines on me.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2007, 08:11:04 PM »
Yeah fun times.. We used to have the typical big brother kicks little brother's ass relationship. Now we can't even be in the same room together for more than an hour before he is trying to reorganize my life for me and laying down some good therapy lines on me.

my god, what a nightmare. Can someone please return my brother to me? I've had it with the pod-person.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2007, 08:19:13 PM »
Maybe this runs in families.  I've got a sibling that thinks "What The Bleep?" is one of those prescient moments in spiritual awakening.  I also get lectures about "The Power of Intention" (Lynne Taggart's spiel) and more, all along the lines of "LGAT meets newage sewage."  Ugh.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2007, 04:47:11 AM »
Quote from: ""try another castle""

my god, what a nightmare. Can someone please return my brother to me? I've had it with the pod-person.

Dude.. you can have mine... for free.. no charge.. NO CATCH.. just keep him away from me.