Author Topic: Bush plans to screen whole US population for mental illness  (Read 15180 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Bush plans to screen whole US population for mental illness
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2005, 09:31:00 PM »
On 2005-01-06 18:08:00, Deborah wrote:

"

POINTS!!???? For turning in a psych screening form? In GEOMETRY?? What this got to do with geometry? Nothing!! And they shouldn't be passing out points that will enhance one's grade. Why didn't they just threaten to dock them 5 or 10 points if they didn't return it? And the KICKER: 5 for a NO. 10 for a YES. Urghhh."

Good morning!

Join me about 8 years ago. Have a nice cup of coffee. Turn on the morning news and watch the Community Antidrug Coalition in Miami/Dade "Just Say No" event. They took all the kids who had permission to go out of school and down to a county fairgrounds for the day. They had clowns and rides and games and literature (lots of literature). And all the kids had to do in return was pee in a cup. Waste Management had provided a few dozen Jiffy John's w/ their advertising on it just for the event.

I wonder what the kids who didn't get permission to piss in a cup did that day? I wonder what happened to those who tested positive. These were 10 - 12 yo little kids. Just about my daughter's age.

I can very well do without God both in my life and in my painting, but I cannot, suffering as I am, do without something which is greater than I am, which is my life, the power to create.
--Vincent Van Gogh, Dutch painter

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2005, 10:47:00 PM »
Speaking of sharing personal health care information. Everyone gets it but YOU and your family, thanks to HIPPA. Advice: Keep a Medical Power of Attorney and Authorization to Release handy.

Forward"

Dear All,
The difference in how horrible hospital staff are in disrespecting a patients' right for their family and loved ones to have information about their health care using HIPPA as an excuse with the policy of refusing to provide record copies before discharge with the unrequired promise that they will be provided after discharge is fertile ground for more undocumented deaths as a result of the FDA failing to protect the public from drugs they know are genocidal.

If you choose to serve as somone's Medical Power of Attorney and have Authorization to Release granted to you be prepared to be treated as the enemy with your efforts at the direction of the patient diverted at every turn.

Maybe someone could make a board or nintendo game to shapen our tactical skills before enter the war zone to improve our chances of coming out undisabled and alive.

Was HIPPA intended to protect the public or provide a better means of covering up genocidal population control in the hospitals?

All I can say is after dealing with a hospital since Friday afternoon, please get a Medical Power of Attorney and Authorization to Release Medical Information prepared before you go into enemy territory..er..I mean..the hospital.

I cannot render medical or legal advise but if you ever get stuck and need someone to brainstorm with for ways to develop tactics attempting to defend your civil right to have information about your OWN health care I would be happy to recieve your call in the evenings or on the weekends. I'm providing an 800 number in case you are stuck where you can only get to a pay phone and you have no coins. I can't promise anything but if you have no one else to help you, I'm better than nothing.

But the best thing you can do it PLEASE heed this warning and get that MEDICAL POWER of ATTORNEY, get more than one person so the hospital staff can't just counter attack and destroy the good intentions of your sole supporters.

Maybe folks will even post theirs so others can edit it to their liking.

I'm not kidding you, it is MUCH worse since HIPPA that gave the government the right to access all your health care records without your knowledge or consent.

It's so bad that I've just about decided that I will never go to a hospital voluntarily.
(and I'm CERTAINLY NOT going to submit to Bush's "Mental Health" Screenings.

Instead of passing legislation in the 2005 Congress to limit malpractice settlements to $250,000 why don't we push for legislation that requires hospital to read the equivalent of the Miranda rights to patients informing that, since the government can access all your medical records, everything you say can and may be used against you (especially a "mental health" mind and behavior controlling drug dispensor).
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It's the New World Order whether you've admitted there is a conspracy or not.

I believe the stress of having my body in a hostile environment where they distribute drugs that are not proven safe by the FDA and remove body parts by surgery might be a threat to my health.

I'd never be able to get evidence without retaining an attorney and that would just be another life threatening stress. I'm not suggesting that you do this. But this did save me from a carcinogenic exposure to HRT before they admitted they were killing too many women with HRT to continue the tests and Vioxx the killed 55,000 in 4 1/2 years.

IF Congress passes that bill to limit lawsuits to $250,000 then it will get even worse because they will know attorneys won't be motivated to sue for $250,000. Oh, the spin. It's those horrible trial lawyers that are so terrible for driving up the cost of malpractice insurance and therefore the cost of health care. Never mind that it's the medical care that is creating the successful lawsuits awarded by judges after a jury finds the doctor or facility negligent. Let's not correct the cause. Let's attack the symptom and keep the profitable killing and disabling health care unadmonished. The study of alternative medicine to save my own body from being pulled into the medical industrial complex vortex has just taken on a whole new perspective to me now that I'm over the hill and have talked to VT about intentention eldercide that have become too much of a negative cash flow.

Heaven help the staff on duty if I ever am a patient for I will never tolerate a medical staff that won't at least SHOW ME the records they are maintaining on me so I can see what they are documenting.

Perhaps in addition to the other health defense "weapons" that you need to keep on ALERT I enumerated in a previous e-mail (two part paper, camera, cell phone, computer with printer, witness, fax, etc.) before you go to war with the staff trying to find out what drugs you are recieving, what tests have been ordered, what are the results we need to add COPIER.
Can you just imagine the Charge Nurses excuses trying to tell you you can't copy YOUR OWN records when they bring them in to let you SEE them, IF your are lucky.

Or maybe you would prefer to just lay back and donate your body so the medical industrial complex for profit with no accountability for the effectiveness or side efffects, hope for the best
and waive your civil rights.

Either way, the new health care civil rights Mantra thanks to Congress that you hear repeatedly referred to whenever an excuse is necessary to try to convince you it's against the law to tell you about your OWN health care is;
HIPPA, HIPPA, HIPPA, HIP HIP HORAY

Thank you,

Dr. Sandra Lance, D.C.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2005, 11:25:00 PM »
And another:
Edited Forward written by PhD Psychologist in Texas:

I am working with a family whose daughter was taken away by CPS for alleged suicidal ideation, which the girl denied, based on a Teen Screen in her middle school. While under state care, at one point she was on 14 psych drugs at once! She is one of the persons profiled in the 11-24 segment below.  The 9-30 segment is very revealing about the money flows behind it all. These reports are part of the incredible work done by Nanci Wilson and KEYE-TV in Austin. I am not sure if all the links will work. If not just go to the first and you will be able to access all the video files.

http://keyetv.com/local/local_story_352223055.html

KEYE Investigates: Children and Anti-Depressants: 10pm 11-24-04  
KEYE Investigates: 11-17-04 10pm: Texas, Children and Drugs  
KEYE Investigates: Medicaid fraud: 11-12-04
KEYE Investigates: 9/30/04 Drugs and your Tax Dollars
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 08:22:50 AM by Guest »
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2005, 12:48:00 PM »
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... promotelaw

White House paid commentator to promote law

Fri Jan 7, 6:56 AM ET  

By Greg Toppo, USA TODAY

Seeking to build support among black families for its education reform law, the Bush administration paid a prominent black pundit $240,000 to promote the law on his nationally syndicated television show and to urge other black journalists to do the same.

The campaign, part of an effort to promote No Child Left Behind (NCLB), required commentator Armstrong Williams "to regularly comment on NCLB during the course of his broadcasts," and to interview Education Secretary Rod Paige for TV and radio spots that aired during the show in 2004.

Williams said Thursday he understands that critics could find the arrangement unethical, but "I wanted to do it because it's something I believe in."

The top Democrat on the House Education Committee, Rep. George Miller (news, bio, voting record) of California, called the contract "a very questionable use of taxpayers' money" that is "probably illegal." He said he will ask his Republican counterpart to join him in requesting an investigation.

The contract, detailed in documents obtained by USA TODAY through a Freedom of Information Act request, also shows that the Education Department, through the Ketchum public relations firm, arranged with Williams to use contacts with America's Black Forum, a group of black broadcast journalists, "to encourage the producers to periodically address" NCLB. He persuaded radio and TV personality Steve Harvey to invite Paige onto his show twice. Harvey's manager, Rushion McDonald, confirmed the appearances.

Williams said he does not recall disclosing the contract to audiences on the air but told colleagues about it when urging them to promote NCLB.

"I respect Mr. Williams' statement that this is something he believes in," said Bob Steele, a media ethics expert at The Poynter Institute for Media Studies. "But I would suggest that his commitment to that belief is best exercised through his excellent professional work rather than through contractual obligations with outsiders who are, quite clearly, trying to influence content."

The contract may be illegal "because Congress has prohibited propaganda," or any sort of lobbying for programs funded by the government, said Melanie Sloan of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington. "And it's propaganda."

White House spokesman Trent Duffy said he couldn't comment because the White House is not involved in departments' contracts.

Ketchum referred questions to the Education Department, whose spokesman, John Gibbons, said the contract followed standard government procedures. He said there are no plans to continue with "similar outreach."

Williams' contract was part of a $1 million deal with Ketchum that produced "video news releases" designed to look like news reports. The Bush administration used similar releases last year to promote its Medicare prescription drug plan, prompting a scolding from the Government Accountability Office, which called them an illegal use of taxpayers' dollars.

Williams, 45, a former aide to U.S. Supreme Court (news - web sites) Justice Clarence Thomas (news - web sites), is one of the top black conservative voices in the nation. He hosts The Right Side on TV and radio, and writes op-ed pieces for newspapers, including USA TODAY, while running a public relations firm, Graham Williams Group.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2005, 11:20:00 AM »
Updated: 1/15/2005, 1:07 PM EST
TEENSCREEN
A Front Group for the Psycho-Pharmaceutical Industrial Complex

TeenScreen is a so-called "diagnostic psychiatric service" aka a "suicide survey" done on children who are then referred to psychiatric treatment. The evidence suggests that the objective of the psychiatrists who designed TeenScreen is to place children so selected on psychotropic medication.

"It's just a way to put more people on prescription drugs," said Marcia Angell, a medical ethics lecturer at Harvard Medical School and author of "The Truth About Drug Companies." She said such programs will boost the sale of antidepressants like Paxil, Zoloft and Prozac even after the FDA in September ordered a "black box" label warning that the pills might spur suicidal thoughts or actions in minors. (The New York Post, December 5, 2004)

TeenScreen attempts to create in the media, a suicide hysteria, when in fact suicides are on the decline. The suicide rate for ages 10 to 19 fell from 6.2 deaths per 100,000 people in 1992 to 4.6 per 100,000 in 2001, according to the Center for Disease Control. In 1991, 10 of 100,000 people in Florida ages 10-24 committed suicide. By 1999, that number had dropped to six out of 100,000.

TeenScreen was developed by psychiatrist David Shaffer of Columbia University and New York State Psychiatric Institute's Division of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. Shaffer is a consultant (see page 21) and apologist of pharmaceutical companies. As a consultant, Shaffer has served as an expert witness for Hoffman la Roche and Wyeth. He is also a consultant to GlaxoSmithKline on paroxetine (Paxil or Seroxat) and adolescent suicide.

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention sent out a press release on May 8, 2000, that said Shaffer was their president and they had just released a national survey they had done on suicide. The funder of the survey? Pfizer

In December of 2003 British drug regulators recommended against the use of antidepressants in the treatment of depressed children under 18 because some of the drugs had been linked to suicidal thoughts and self-harm. According to a December 11, 2003, New York Times article, Shaffer at the request of Pfizer, (the maker of Zoloft) attempted to block the British findings, sending a letter to the British drug agency saying that there was insufficient data to restrict the use of the drugs in adolescents.

On Feb 2, 2004, a scientific advisory panel urged the Food and Drug Administration to issue stronger warnings to doctors about the possible risks to children because of antidepressant drugs. Shaffer told the advisory committee (see page 76) that he doesn't have a better explanantion for the drop in suicides than the growing use of antidepressants! But he said, "we don't know if they are related".

Just this last October, The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, announced that all medications used to treat depression must carry a black box warning label, advising that children and teens may become suicidal when taking the drugs.

On January 1, 2005, the British Medical Journal, on the heels of the FDA black box warning, reported that the FDA has agreed to review confidential drug company documents that went missing during a controversial product liability suit more than 10 years ago. The documents indicate a link between the drug fluoxetine (Prozac), made by Eli Lilly, and suicide attempts and violence.

In Pinellas County, Florida, an ongoing research project has already established that a large majority of teens who committed suicide were on psychotropic drugs or had received psychiatric treatment. In the years 2002 and 2003, 81% of the suicides were either on psychotropic drugs or had received psychiatric treatment. This percentage may rise as the research continues.

Since this webpage you are reading: "TeenScreen: A Front Group for the Psycho-Pharmaceutical Industrial Complex" has gone online, TeenScreen has decided to revise it's history. They sent out a press release May 13, 2003 which was included here on this web page. On January 14, 2005 it was discovered that they revised that old press release by deleting one sentence. This is the sentence they deleted:

"Since 1991, the Columbia University Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry has invested nearly $19 million in the research and development of the Columbia TeenScreen program."

Proof that TeenScreen recently revised the old press release: Press release dated May 13, 2003 which was found as an archived webpage on Yahoo and the recently revised press release dated May 13, 2003 that shows TeenScreen deleted the first sentence of the 2nd last paragraph which contained the $19 million quote.

TeenScreen no longer has any reference to this $19 million dollars on their website.

The $19 million dollar reference can still be found elsewhere on the websites of organizations TeenScreen does not control, here and here for example.
Needless to say, all references are being saved before TeenScreen does anymore of their "disappearing acts".

TeenScreen and Columbia University refuse to divulge the source of this funding. One corner of the Internet did give a clue to the funding: Eli Lilly, (the pharmaceutical company) funded the TeenScreen program in Tennessee. (See page 4, left, mid-page).

Although the name TeenScreen was not mentioned, the New York Times, reported, on December 17, 1998 that William J. Ruane, an investment advisor put $8 million into the screening research of Shaffer, the TeenScreen psychiatrist.

As far back as 1995, Ruane already had a "longstanding relationship" (see bottom of reference) with Shaffer. In June of 1995 the Ruanes funded a professorship of Pediatric Psychopharmacology at Columbia University which "supported training and research into the effectiveness of psychopharmacological agents in treating childhood psychiatric disorders".

The Psychiatric Times reported in March of 1998 that Ruane and wife Joy, gave 1.5 million to study the effects of psychiatric medication in children to the New York State Psychiatric Institute, Shaffer's home base.

According to a New York Post article in 1999, the New York State Psychiatric Institute conducted experiments on kids, some as young as 6, with the powerful mood-altering drug Prozac and failed to tell the children or their parents about the most serious risks. While testing Prozac on 30 severely depressed patients ages 12 to 18, researcher's notes indicated "Some patients have been reported to have an increase in suicidal thoughts and/or violent behavior". Records showed that at least four experiments used Prozac on young children including one funded by Prozac's manufacturer, Eli Lilly Co.

Laurie Flynn , TeenScreen's director, searches out teens who have committed suicide and then writes letters to the editors throughout the country, promoting TeenScreen as the "solution". Flynn is no stranger to the pharmaceutical industry. She formally served as the head of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill which received millions of dollars from pharmaceutical companies. Flynn has a tough time selling TeenScreen. TeenScreen has resorted to luring kids with movie rental coupons and food and drink coupons, simply for the return of a release form, whether or not the student agrees to be screened.

Flynn perjured herself in a Capitol Hill Hearing on March 2, 2004, in front of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee on Bill H.R. 3063, when she testified: "In partnership with the University of South Florida we are piloting district wide mental health screening of 9th graders in Hillsborough and Pinellas counties". But in fact, the day before Flynn's testimony, the Hillsborough County School District said they are not partnering with TeenScreen and the school district did not feel comfortable with the information provided by TeenScreen. In Pinellas County, TeenScreen is presently prohibited from doing their suicide survey because Board policy protects the identity of students when surveys are done.

In Florida, David Shern of the Florida Mental Health Institute is attempting to lobby the Pinellas County School Board to change it's policy on anonymous surveys of children. He wants the school board policy changed so that he can obtain the child's name after he does his version of the "suicide" survey. He does not want student surveys to be anonymous, as they are now under existing regulations.

Even U.S. law governing the Census Bureau requires that any information collected from the public be maintained as confidential. There are penalties of up to five years in prison and up to $250,000 in fines for wrongful disclosure of confidential census information.

Several professional organizations dealing with survey methods have codes of ethics (including the American Statistical Association) that prescribe rules for keeping survey responses confidential. The recommended policy for survey organizations to safeguard such confidentiality includes presenting statistical tabulations by broad enough categories so that individual respondents cannot be singled out.

Yet, Shern wants to get at the names of individual students so they can be targeted for "treatment".

What treatment? Psychotropic Drugging, of course.

A report entitled "Psychotropic Drug Use in Foster Care" , by the Florida Statewide Advocacy Council, discovered that of the 1,180 children reviewed 652 were on one or more psychotropic medications. The report warned of the side effects of these drugs including suicidal tendencies. The report concluded that unnecessary dispensing of psychotropic medication remains a threat to the children. They recommended that their findings be incorporated into an agenda in order to preserve and protect the health, safety, welfare and rights of children.

The Florida Mental Health Institute under Shern's direction received $180,000 from Columbia's TeenScreen. The Florida Mental Health Institute says it has no financial records on how that money was spent. Mr. Shern and his FMHI have also raked in cash from pharmaceutical companies to study anti-psychotic drugs: $381,664 from Eli Lilly and $130,416 from AstraZeneca Ltd.

The Tampa Tribune posed some good questions on March 7, 2004: "What if someone at risk is identified, but there's no one who can help? What if the test misses someone at risk? What if the test falsely identifies someone who isn't at risk?"

"Liability comes up immediately," Shern said.

As to studies on TeenScreen itself, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (top U.S. Government Research outfit) report of May of 2004 states:

A. There is no evidence that screening for suicide risk reduces suicide attempts or mortality.

B. There is limited evidence on the accuracy of screening tools to identify suicide risk.

C. There is insufficient evidence that treatment of those at high risk reduces suicide attempts or mortality.

D. No studies were found that directly address the harms of screening and treatment for suicide risk.

TeenScreen has no proof that their survey reduces suicide rates. The co-director of TeenScreen Rob Caruano, says that suicides are so rare that you'd have to screen the whole country to see a difference in mortality between screened and unscreened students.

TeenScreen was established in Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1997 . According to a 2003 Tulsa World newspaper article, Mike Brose, executive director of the Mental Health Association in Tulsa, stated: "To the best of my knowledge, this is the highest number of youth suicides we've ever had during the school year -- a number we find very frightening."

So much for the workability of TeenScreen.

In Colorado (3rd section from the bottom) over 350 youths were suicide screened using TeenScreen's survey. They found that over 50% were at risk of suicide. That's not science! That's a dream come true for pharmaceutical company marketing types and bean counters.

TeenScreen blatantly hails antidepressants as the "cure" (see slide 11) for suicide.

Mark Taylor, who was shot several times during the April 1999 massacre at Columbine high schools says that programs like TeenScreen experiment on kids, who will eventually end up on psychotropic drugs, according to an August 16, 2002 Arizona Republic article. He attributes the Columbine incident to the fact that the shooters were on antidepressants. He pleads to stop the drugging of students.

TeenScreen is purely and simply a marketing scam to sell psychotropic drugs. When they use "even if we save one life" as an argument to arouse emotions in parents that truly care, they are lying. They are not saving lives. TeenScreen is the marketing entrance point for the real killers - psychotropic drugs and the psychotherapists who prescribe them.

TeenScreen, leave the kids alone!

Parents and Teens, remember Columbine!

Click here to send an e-mail to the Pinellas County School Board. Tell them student surveys must remain anonymous. Names of students must not be given to the drug pushers!

http://www.psychsearch.net/teenscreen.html

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2005, 01:08:00 PM »
On 2005-01-22 08:20:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Updated: 1/15/2005, 1:07 PM EST
TEENSCREEN
The suicide rate for ages 10 to 19 fell from 6.2 deaths per 100,000 people in 1992 to 4.6 per 100,000 in 2001, according to the Center for Disease Control. In 1991, 10 of 100,000 people in Florida ages 10-24 committed suicide. By 1999, that number had dropped to six out of 100,000.

Interesting! What is it about Florida? I've read that suicide rates are always higher in the northern climates, in remote locations and in repressive regimes. For example, Cuba had the highest suicide rate in the Western World for some time after Fidel took power, bumping Finland to second place. And that was a glaring indication of the quality of life under Castro.

So what is it with Florida? Lots of sunshine, major metropolitan cities, international ports and all. I guess it's about the most un-isolated state in the union. So... what makes Floridians more prone to suicide than the rest of us?

For the most part we inherit our opinions. We are the heirs of habits and mental customs. Our beliefs, like the fashion of our garments, depend on where we were born. We are molded and fashioned by our surroundings.
--Environment is a sculptor -- a painter.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2005, 01:09:00 PM »
On 2005-01-22 10:08:00, Antigen wrote:

So... what makes Floridians more prone to suicide than the rest of us?

Jeb Bush

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2005, 06:52:00 PM »
After reading the post about TeenScreen I took a look at the website for Positive Action for Teen Health (PATH), the organization behind TeenScreen (http://http://www.pathnow.org/).

When reviewing the resource link for the endorsers of teen screening (http://http://www.pathnow.org/resources/endorsers.html) there were 3 points that I found interesting.

First, the post states that Laurie Flynn , TeenScreen's director,  served as the head of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill. This organization is one of the twenty-two listed.

Second, the founding president of the Anxiety Disorders Association of America (ADAA) is none other than Robert L. DuPont, M.D. (http://http://www.bensingerdupont.com/main/robertdupont.html), former paid Straight consultant (http://http://www.thestraights.com/people/medical-doctors/miller.htm) among other things.

Third, the treasurer of the Tampa Bay chapter of the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance is Christopher Yarnold (http://http://www.tbdmda.org/meetTBDMDA.html), former Director of Straight - Sarasota (http://fornits.com/anonanon/articles/200009/20000911-245.htm)

Having 3 out of 22 (7.33%) of the endorsers on first glance categorized as questionable in my mind, in addition to DuPont's connections to drug companies (http://http://www.dupontclinicalresearch.com/pharm.html) raises the red flag on the ethics and practices behind this organization. Honestly, I would have had my concerns with any 1 of the 3 listed above, but finding these 3 in less than an hour has definitely put this group on my list of organizations to keep an eye on.

John(Lurker & Husband of a Stoughton Survivor '88)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2005, 08:46:00 PM »
Thanks, John. But have you ever wondered if maybe it was better when only we were a little paranoid and the world was more-or-less OK ?

Hands that help are far better then lips that pray.
--Robert G. Ingersoll, American politician and lecturer

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2005, 10:47:00 PM »
From The Christian Science Monitor
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0120/p11s01-lifp.html
January 20, 2005 edition
Screening a child's mind
By Gregory M. Lamb | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor
Excerpts:
Libertarians and conservatives, home-schoolers and psychiatric rights groups, expressed their concerns.
Yet so far, the fears seem overblown - or at least premature. By the time Congress passed its enormous spending bill late last fall, only $20 million of new money was appointed as a grant to states to explore new ways of coordinating their "fragmented" mental-health services. The provision contained no mandate that the money be spent to screen children.

But that hasn't kept critics from worrying about future moves.

Jeff Deist, a spokesman for Rep. Ron Paul (R) of Texas, a leading congressional opponent of federally mandated mental-health testing.

"There's this modern tendency to overmedicalize everything and to treat a rambunctious child ... or a sullen child as mentally ill when that's just
his personality or he's a high-strung kid," Mr. Deist says. "We would rather be accused of being alarmist than just stand back and let this gather quiet momentum."

Antiscreening groups point to a report from the New Freedom Commission on Mental Health, appointed by President Bush in 2002, as the source of their concerns. The report, issued in July 2003, spoke of the benefits of widespread mental-health screening of Americans of all ages. It also noted that schools provide a promising venue for administering such evaluations for both students and adult school workers.

Even if all children were screened, it's not clear that government would mandate the use of antidepressants or other psychotropic drugs for those with disorders.

Both Hogan and screening opponents agree that more long-term testing needs to be done to ensure the safety of psychotropic drugs when used by children and teens. That view was expressed in the commission's report, he points out, long before studies showing links between certain antidepressants and teen suicides made international headlines.

Nevertheless, more and more children around the world are being prescribed drugs to calm or stimulate them, according to a November article in the British Medical Journal.

For example, between 2000 and 2002, the number of children and teens in Britain taking prescription tranquilizers, stimulants, or antidepressant
drugs rose by 68 percent, the article said. It concluded "We believe the use of psychotropic medications in children is a global health issue, which should be studied in partnership with pharmaceutical companies, governments, and researchers."

"The pharmaceutical companies have been heavily involved in pushing programs like this, and they have an obvious, overt economic interest," says Sheldon Richman, a senior fellow at the Future of Freedom Foundation in Fairfax, Va. "They'll sell a lot more drugs if they can get more people diagnosed and put on them. We ought to be concerned about that."

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2005, 10:54:00 PM »
Parents and students are supposed to be able to 'opt out' of these screenings, but here's just one example of how THAT will be mishandled.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/stories ... nts_ob.sto
Student's parents object to TeenScreen notice
OUR HEALTH

By DAVID RUMBACH
Tribune Staff Writer

OSCEOLA -- The parents of a Penn High School sophomore are questioning the passive procedure being used to obtain parental permission for a suicide risk-mental health screening called TeenScreen.

The screening is being given to sophomores in most local high schools this school year. It was given at Penn in December.

Parents at Penn and other schools could withhold their children from the screening by returning a form mailed to their houses. Parents who did not
sign the form and return it were considered to have given permission for TeenScreen.

Teresa Rhoades of Osceola says that procedure does not ensure parents are aware of the program and they really intend for their children to
participate.

She claims she never received the form and she did not hear about TeenScreen until her daughter came home and told her she had taken it.

"They're assuming that parents are receiving this, reading it and deciding not to send it back,'' she said. "I'm concerned whether parents are really aware of this.''

Penn-Harris-Madison School Corp. officials are reviewing the use of passive consent for TeenScreen and expect to announce some changes at a school board meeting next week, said Teresa Carroll, a spokeswoman for the corporation.

Steven Bright of Madison Center said no one else has complained about the consent procedure for TeenScreen, which now has been given to about 2,000 local students during the current school year.

Madison Center, the community mental health agency, is administering the screening on behalf of CONNECT, a pro-education consortium of local
agencies.

The screening is voluntary, and students can and do refuse to take it. It consists of a questionnaire that assesses a student for suicide risk, substance abuse and symptoms of common mood disorders.

Students who test positive on the initial questionnaire are asked to meet with a Madison Center therapist for a deeper evaluation that same day. That meeting also is voluntary.

Bright said the use of a passive consent  procedure enables TeenScreen to reach a high percentage of students.

It's intended to prevent teen suicides as well as to help parents find mental health professionals who can help their children recover from potentially debilitating mood disorders.

"We would probably see the level of participation drop way off (if active consent were required),'' he said. "We're doing this to help kids feel
better, to help them be more successful. It's for their betterment.''

Teresa Rhoades and her husband, Michael, said they're upset that their daughter took the screening without their knowledge.

They monitor her activities and personal contacts closely and don't like surprises.

"We want to be sure we know what she's being exposed to,'' Teresa Rhoades said.

"If they go on a field trip, they don't have passive permission,'' Michael Rhoades said. "Isn't this just as important?''

Staff writer David Rumbach:
[email protected]
(574) 235-6358

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2005, 11:08:00 PM »
Speaking of Florida. Looks like they are using the same technique (chemical restraint) as Texas, with their foster kids. http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.ph ... &forum=9&7

Posted on Sun, Jan. 16, 2005
'Pill-popping' worries grow in foster system
CAROL MARBIN MILLER
Knight Ridder Newspapers

MIAMI - Nearly 1,900 children under the care of Florida's child welfare system are taking antidepressant drugs, despite a strong federal warning that such medications are linked to an increased risk of suicidal thinking among children.

One in four Florida foster children are taking at least one mood-altering drug, and nearly one in 10 are taking at least three psychiatric drugs
simultaneously, a drug cocktail that many doctors and children's advocates claim can be particularly dangerous.

Nearly 2,100 children in care are taking powerful antipsychotic drugs.

These findings are part of a comprehensive study of the use of psychotropic drugs among Florida children in state care, launched after advocates and lawmakers questioned the safety and wisdom of the state's practices.

"This is a unique population, and I hate to see them used as guinea pigs," state Sen. Evelyn J. Lynn, an Ormond Beach Republican, said Tuesday at a meeting of the Senate Children & Families committee. "There is a lot of pill-popping going on here that concerns me."

The controversy over the use of mental health drugs began in 2001, when a Coral Springs child advocate, Andrea Moore, wrote a letter to a DCF
administrator accusing the department of using psychotropic drugs as "chemical restraints" for difficult-to-manage foster kids.

On Tuesday, the Children & Families committee's staff director, Beverly Whiddon, acknowledged the study largely confirmed such fears.

"There is evidence that some children in the care of the DCF are prescribed psychotropic medications simply to address behavioral problems," Whiddon said.

DCF's top child welfare official, Beth Englander, told committee members that children taken into state care are evaluated for mental illness or
emotional disturbance within a few days, and caseworkers seek consent from either a parent or a judge before allowing the use of psychiatric drugs. [Texas doesn't even bother to gain parental consent.]

Many of the mood-altering drugs, including potent anti-psychotic drugs such as Risperdal, have never been proven to be either safe or effective for children.

Among the study's findings:

. The state's expenditures for mental health drugs have nearly tripled between budget years 2001 and 2005, and taxpayers are expected to spend $680 million for psychiatric drugs this budget year.

. Consultants hired by the state found they had "questions about the appropriateness" of mental health drugs given to 1,273 children in state care, Richard C, Surles, who heads Comprehensive Neuroscienece in White Plains, N.Y., told the committee. The consultants wrote letters to 442 doctors telling them they had engaged in "a questionable practice."

Some of the questionable practices, Surles said, included prescribing more than one anti-psychotic drug to the same child, prescribing two or more
stimulant drugs to the same child, prescribing three or more drugs for more than 45 days, or prescribing "very high doses" of anti-psychotic drugs.

. Anti-psychotics, also called neuroleptics, were developed to treat the symptoms of schizophrenia, a debilitating disorder than can lead to psychosis, paranoia and hallucinations in adults. The disorder typically occurs as a person reaches young adulthood, and is very rarely diagnosed in
children, especially small children.

Few standards exist in Florida, or throughout the United States, for the proper use and dosage of mental health drugs among children and adolescents. And judges throughout the state who have been asked to provide consent for the use of mental health drugs told a consultant they were confused about their role.

"We must have true informed consent," Dr. Martin Lazoritz, associate chairman of the Psychiatry Department at the University of Florida's medical
school, told the committee.

George Hibbert, an 18-year-old Liberty City man who left foster care last year, said he feels much better since he stopped taking the mental health drugs prescribed to him during the 15 or so years he was in foster care. He said he had been given anti-psychotics, anti-seizure drugs - though he doesn't have epilepsy - and sedatives.

"As soon as I turned 18, I told them I ain't taking any more drugs," Hibbert said Friday. "They made me feel drowsy. They made me drool from the mouth."

Moore, the advocate who sparked the debate nearly four years ago, who is now director of Florida's Children First, said the report vindicated the
concerns of Florida child advocates. She attended the hearing Tuesday, and fears the study may understate the scope of Florida's challenge.

"The report confirms what we've been been saying: What is happening to these children is tragic. Some of Florida's most vulnerable children are
prescribed medication outside of even DCF's standard of care."

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/ ... 656962.htm

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2005, 11:14:00 PM »
Wonder which programs DCF put this foster child in?

http://www.floridaschildrenfirst.org/fc ... health.htm
DCF = Department of Children and Families
Reflections of a Former Foster Children

Karina's Comments
"Karina", a former foster youth in Florida, submitted the following comments to the Florida Supreme Court in 2002 on proposed Florida Rule of Juvenile Procedure 8.350 governing the commitment of dependent children to psychiatric facilities:

"I was placed in several treatment facilities over the years I was in foster care. DCF sent me to my first treatment facility when I was six years old, after I was abused in my foster home.  I did not have a lawyer, and I did not have a guardian ad litem.  Later, DCF sent me to a locked facility in another county.  I was kept there for three years.  While I was there I was
abused by a supervisor in the facility.  When I reported him, other staff members accused me of lying and put me in the "quiet room". .  They would tell me that if I didn't stop talking about people abusing me, they would keep me there.  One time I was kept there for three or four days.  After my time in the quiet room, I would be confined to my room, sometimes for weeks.
If I protested, I would be spread apart like an "X" in four restraints.
Sometimes they would take off my clothes.  They said it was to prevent me from choking myself, but I was never at risk for that. . I was not the only one abused or treated like this.  I knew of several other children who were abused by staff at the facility, but we were not allowed to call the Abuse Hotline.  When DCF finally took me out of this facility, DCF brought me back to Miami-Dade County and put me into another treatment facility.  There I was abused even more.  My last facility sometimes overmedicated me and other
children, but at this new facility I was turned into a walking zombie by all the psychotropic drugs they made me take.

"I wish I would have had a lawyer during all the years I was kept in locked facilities.  I think it would have made a big difference.  I don't think that I would have been abused like I was if I would have had a lawyer.  I don't think I would have even been in locked facilities as long as I was if I would have had a lawyer.  If I hadn't finally gotten a lawyer, DCF would have kept me in a locked facility until I turned 18, and I never would have learned to live outside of a facility. . . . I think it's very important for
every foster child in a facility to have a lawyer.  If a child doesn't have a lawyer, there's no one to stand up for what the child wants.  This makes a child lose hope, which is how I felt for a long time."

Caged
I'm a child in a cage,
locked in a mental hospital for being underage
and not being on DCF's "page",
I'm the property of the state
and of workers earning minimum wage,
I'm restrained and tranquilized
like an animal on a stage,
I'm shut-up and shut-away
but I'm not allowed to feel rage,
I'm just a child in foster care
growing up in a cage.
                                         --- Anna, Age 16

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2005, 11:29:00 PM »
http://www.state.tn.us/mental/publicati ... 02updt.pdf

Tennessee governor proclaims "Dual Diagnosis Day"

"Adolescent Co-Occurring Mental/Substance Use Disorders studied"

One in five children has a diagnosable
mental, emotional or behavioral disorder.

Ka-ching $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2005, 02:20:00 AM »
Never mind the money. It's worthless anyway, since the New Deal. They're talking about taking OUR CHILDREN!

"Give me the youth, and Germany will rule the world."
--Hitler

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... forum=32&1

I tried not to work for, you know, anyone who ate children with their bare hands. I won't pretend that I was ideologically consistent.

--Dick Morris; Political consultant for Bill Clinton, Trent Lott and Tom Ridge