Author Topic: Bethel Girls Academy - ABUSE  (Read 5212 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Bethel Girls Academy - ABUSE
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2004, 08:05:00 PM »
On 2004-06-04 11:00:00, Anonymous wrote:

"What's wrong with these parents advocating to keep their children IN this program?  Do they not believe where there is smoke ... there is fire?  

:???: "

No! They believe they're privy to a piece of higher enlightenment and that the rest of us are just chattering pigs.

If more people understood what's going on w/ these high demand groups, they'd be more likely to let an escaped kid use their phone and less likely to lobby to have 'those dangerous inmates' housed somewhere further from their homes.

Time's fun when you're having flies.
--Kermit the Frog

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Watchaduen

• View Profile
    • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BethelAcademyAbuse/
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2004, 02:28:00 PM »
Found out one of the girls sent back to Bethel is one of the 38 that the State of MS. had removed due to abuse.  This little russian girl (adopted and sent to Beth-HELL) when she was 11, will spend her teen years living there.  One victim says that this girl isn't allowed to go back home, yet all the victims and employees of Bethel Girls compound state she is a wonderful little girl and sweet disposition.  What makes the story even worse is that there is an adopted Russion brother also.  He is sentenced to spending his teen years at Bethel Boys compound.  No matter how many raids on Bethel's or children removed for abuse, these two victims are stuck there until they are 18.  Considering they spent the first part of their lives at a Russian orphanage and now will spend the rest of their growing up years at Bethel child abuse compounds, how are they ever supposed to be ready to face the world, live on their own as young adults?
Bethel tells you when to eat, sleep, forced labor all day long thrown in with some abuse.  That prepares someone for the real world?  Breaks my heart.
heryle - My son was TORTURED and ABUSED at Bethel Boys Academy aka Eagle Point Christian Academy, aka Pine View Academy, Lucedale, MS.

Offline Watchaduen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2004, 02:57:00 PM »
State seeking accord with girls school

Bethel Academy problems called correctable

By Lora Hines
[email protected]

State officials are negotiating with a church-based home for at-risk girls to allow the return of 38 teens removed after some alleged they were abused.

Earl Scales, an assistant state attorney general, said problems at Bethel Girls Academy near Petal can be corrected, and an agreement to allow the girls back could be reached as early as next week.

"The school serves a purpose," Scales said.
Herman Fountain Jr., the director of the home, denies the allegations of abuse.

"That's all they are, allegations," he said. "They haven't proved anything."

Fountain, however, said he doubts he can come to an agreement with the state attorney general's office.

He said he doesn't want to stop using exercise as a form of punishment, a concession the state demands.

"We're not able to discipline the girls any other way," Fountain said. "We don't use corporal punishment. (State officials) wanted us not to use exercise. I didn't agree with that."

In May, the state Department of Human Services took custody of all girls at the academy as a result of abuse allegations. Some girls told investigators they were forced to swim in a sewage pond and exercise until they vomited.

DHS spokesman Rick Whitlow would not comment and referred calls to the state Health Department. The Health Department referred calls to the attorney general's office.

It is the second investigation at the academy in less than two years. The girls academy, founded by Fountain's father, opened in 1999.

Parent complaints of abuse and neglect at the companion Bethel Boys Academy in Lucedale last year led to a similar investigation by DHS and the attorney general's office. The boys academy, also founded by Fountain's father and directed by his brother, John Fountain, agreed to adopt new policies.

The Fountains didn't admit to any wrongdoing.

Herman Fountain said the girls removed from the academy want to return.

Michael Reed, a Hattiesburg attorney for parents of some of the girls, said his clients had to find other places to send their children.

"Obviously, the allegations are of a concern," Reed said. "That's why they are taking a wait-and-see approach (with the negotiations)."

The children of Reed's clients didn't complain to investigators, Reed said. He would not identify his clients.

Melissa Lashuay of Chicago is hopeful Fountain can correct the academy's problems. Her daughter, Brittany, 14, was one of the girls removed from the academy.

Lashuay's oldest daughter, Stephanie, previously attended the academy.

"It really turned my daughter around," Lashuay said of Stephanie. "There's been such an improvement in her."

Five girls now attend the academy, Fountain said. More are to come.

He said the academy has lost about $200,000 since the girls were removed. Tuition costs $2,000 a month per student.

Academy employees have been working part-time.

Fountain said he has had to borrow $1,400 to pay the academy electric bill and $1,700 for the mortgage.

"We've been in worse shape than this," he said. "This isn't going to stop me from helping people."
heryle - My son was TORTURED and ABUSED at Bethel Boys Academy aka Eagle Point Christian Academy, aka Pine View Academy, Lucedale, MS.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2004, 09:29:00 AM »
"That's all they are, allegations," he said. "They haven't proved anything."

What constitutes Proof of abuse in one of these places?
Are the 'students' expected to have it on film or tape?
Why is it that the persistent and consistent allegations aren't evidence?
How is it that even broken bones and deep bruises prove nothing?

And by the way - There is a rumor a float - and I do *stress* it is a *rumor*  
Bob Litchfield has bought Bethel boys and girls homes.

Is there anyone able to substantiate this?

Offline Watchaduen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2004, 12:34:00 PM »
And by the way - There is a rumor a float - and I do *stress* it is a *rumor*
Bob Litchfield has bought Bethel boys and girls homes>>>

It would have to be rumor.  Herman Fountain owns those properties outright.  Had the slaves (I mean children) build everything on them.  Charges $25,000 per year for each victim placed there.  Starves those kids so he isn't out big money on feeding those victims.  Pays the employees pennies in which he pays no taxes on.  Cash under the table for all the employees.  Why would he get rid of that cash cow and start all over?  It's obvious the state is willing to let him get away with murder.  His huge home sits directly across the street from the bethel boys compound.  Nope, he isn't going anywhere.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2004, 02:04:00 PM »
Bethel made the front page of the Daily Herald newspaper the other day.

http://www.dailyherald.com/search/main_ ... ID=3817947

Offline NivekOgre

• View Profile
    • http://www.skinnypuppy.com
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2004, 02:30:00 PM »
I'm actually emailing this paper and thanking them for exposing these bastards.
o What

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2004, 04:21:00 AM »
Unfortunately poor Bubba is guilty by association. As long as Herman Sr is wrapped up in the Bethel organization, his influence, meddling and bad habits (yelling, screaming, generally throwing tantrums if he doesn't get his way, etc, etc) poor Bubba is going to get thrown right in the same couldrum Herman does. Rest assured, no human on earth, judge or otherwise is going to exclude Herman sr from that Bethel operation. Herman Sr can run both those places from his living room. You see, the people at Bethel ask how high they should hop when Herman sr says "frog". Unwavering, misplaced, but still unwavering loyalty. John nor Bubba have even a fighting chance given the years Herman sr has in theat operation as well as the employee's loyalty (and God only knows why they are so loyal!)

Look at http://www.freewebs.com/bethel-truth for a new post from Sherri Culp. Sherri and her husband were insiders for some time at Bethel.Sherri gives a perspective only an insider and a professional could give. You see that is the balance of this. If the opposition to Bethel gets so vicious they attack people in thier own ranks (I've been there) then the opposition gets to be just as bad as the opposed!

So Sherri's post to the website above is a balanced professional passionate but rational insight into what goes on daily at Bethel. To learn more about what makes Bethel tick, read the post at the website above. You may email [email protected] if you are interested in Sherri's article or would like to post your own story.

Offline Watchaduen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2004, 03:08:00 PM »
:grin:   Glad to see BethelTruth's site finally posting stories.  I have sent mine a long time ago.  Hope it gets put on there also.  I realize my post doesn't go into a lot of specifics other than what happened to my son.  But with court dates around the corner I don't want the Fountains knowing what kind of proof nor witnesses we have.  GOD has lead me on this long journey but HE gives me strength every day.  I only wish that the parents from years ago would have already accomplished this.  Yet these victims go home and within a few months give up the fight.  I have been working on this, finding victims, a SUPER lawfirm to take on a case of this magnitude and many, many hours spent on the phone doing my own investigative work.  I knew the evidence was out, it was just a matter of finding it.  The Fountains and a few other corrupt officials down in Miss. have finally hung themselves.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2004, 11:06:00 PM »
Ms Cheryle is a real trooper and as I have said before, we need to encourage her at all times. Send her your information if you were at Bethel and abused. The more credible evidence she can present, the better chance there is for the case to be a sweeping sucess.

See, that is the crux of this matter, Ms Cheryle's dilligent work, and our contributions and encouragement to her will allow a case that is so convincing the Fountains can be financially paralyzed so they can never start up such operations as the Boys or Girls home again. This must be a hands down sweeping victory for the sanctions and restrictions placed on the Fountains be strong enough to put them out of business forever.

Remember, Herman Sr. is smooth and resilient. He can turn on the charm and weazelworm his way out of just about anything. I mean my gosh, who else do you know that is a convicted felon that served prison time yet still has controlling interest in an at risk kids home? Whatever the court does will have to be so detailed and specific that there is no weasel or wiggle room for Herman Sr or the crew to slither out of this as they have so capably done so before.

Case in point is the consent decree was a joke, a slap on the wrist, a get out of jail free card! If THIS pending case does not put healthy teeth in whatever decision comes out of that courtroom, this will be no more than a slap on the wrist either. Let us hope that is not at all the case!!

I appreciate people like Ms Cheryle because seeing a thing like this through to an eqitable finish is often a long, drawn out and very expensive operation. Most of the rest of us really care too, but somehow I think there is an appointing of God given to a person or a small group to see something like this through to a sucessful finish.

Our prayers are with you, Ms Cheryle, keep the faith. Let us know if we can help.

Rod Namdoog