Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Facility Question and Answers

Anneewakee - The Lost Boys of Georgia

<< < (2/2)

cmack:
http://www.dailyreportonline.com/opinio ... F18%2F2000

Georgia Court of Appeals       Printer friendly version Print      Email this opinion   Email      Make the text smaller  Make the text larger  Text Size
APPEALS: Mootness

Poetter v. State
A00A0196 (criminal case)
June 29, 2000
MILLER, Judge.
00 FCDR 2956 (08/18/00)
Headnote: The Court of Appeals dismissed Louis J. Poetter's appeal from the transfer of his parole supervision from Gwinnett County to Douglas County as moot, holding that Poetter did not deny that his supervision had already been transferred.

Text: MILLER, Judge.

On April 8, 1988, Louis Jerome Poetter pled guilty to 19 counts of sodomy and one count of simple battery in the Superior Court of Douglas County, for which felony offenses he was sentenced to concurrent twenty-year terms, provided that, after serving eight years, Poetter would be eligible for probation. Effective January 23, 1996, the State Board of Pardons and Paroles ordered that Poetter be paroled "until the expiration of the confinement sentence(s)." Poetter planned to reside in Gwinnett County with his wife, and the Board's order specified that Poetter would be supervised by Parole Officer B. Crosby in Lawrenceville, Georgia. One of the special conditions of the Board's parole order was that Poetter would not return to Douglas County. On April 23, 1999, the Superior Court of Douglas County issued an order under the original indictment number, reciting that the court deemed it "appropriate for the actual supervision of [Poetter] to be maintained by and through the Adult Probation Department of the Department of Corrections in Douglas County," and ordering that Poetter's parole supervision be transferred from Gwinnett County to Douglas County. This order contains the certificate of the Douglas County District Attorney that he mailed a copy of the order to defendant, his counsel, the chiefs of Adult Probation in Gwinnett and Douglas Counties, the clerks of the respective superior courts, and an assistant attorney general.

Poetter's direct appeal to the Georgia Supreme Court was transferred to the Court of Appeals. In three related enumerations of error, Poetter complains of the transfer of his parole supervision from Gwinnett County to Douglas County without notice.

An appellate court may hear and consider evidence outside the record as transmitted from the court below that an appeal has become moot.1 As a friend of the court, the Attorney General submits this appeal is moot because Poetter's probation supervision has already been administratively transferred from Gwinnett County to Douglas County. This finding of fact is made in an order of the Gwinnett Superior Court in Poetter's habeas corpus petition, Civil Action Number 99A3349-5, which order is attached as an exhibit to the Attorney General's brief. Where the appellant either admits the existence of the fact of mootness as claimed by the appellee, or fails to deny the existence of the same, the appeal will be dismissed.2 Poetter has not denied the administrative transfer of his supervision. We therefore conclude the issues raised in this appeal are moot, subjecting Case Number A00A0196 to dismissal under OCGA § 5-6-48 (b) (3).3

Appeal dismissed. Pope, P. J., and Smith, P. J., concur.

1The Atlanta &c. R. Co. v. Blanton, 80 Ga. 563, 565 (1) (6 SE 584) (1888).

2Kappers v. DeKalb Cty. Bd. of Health, 214 Ga. App. 117, 118 (446 SE2d 794) (1994).

3Id.

Trial Judge: Robert J. James, Douglas Superior Court.

Attorneys: Thomas E. Maddox, Jr. (Thomas E. Maddox Jr. PC), Tucker, for appellant. James D. McDade, District Attorney, Douglasville, for appellee. Other party representation: Thurbert E. Baker, Attorney General, Mary B. Westmoreland, Deputy Attorney General, and Paula K. Smith, Assistant Attorney General, Atlanta.

Scheduled to publish in the Daily Report on August 18, 2000

http://www.dailyreportonline.com/opinio ... F18%2F2000

cmack:
Another survivor site:

http://www.angelfire.com/sc/comicaze/anneewakee.html

--- Quote ---This page has been set up as an attempt to fill a void in my life. Anneewakee was a residential Treatment center for emotionally disturbed young men which operated in Douglasville , Georgia during the 70's and 80's.The center was the brainchild of Dr. Louis J. Poetter and was set up to give the patients a wilderness living experience while participating in scheduled group, vocational, and educational therapy under the close supervision of psychiatric assistants (or group leaders) as well as a full staff of psychiatric and social workers. The center was eventually closed in the late 80's due to allegations of sexual and physical abuse and forced work imprisonment.It has since re-opened under a different name. If you attended Anneewakee I need not fill in any details for you....your experiences were much the same as mine. During my 4 year stay I developed many friendships with people from all over the country.This was almost inevitable as we lived together 24 hours a day.Unlike most schools which have an across the board graduation, patients at Anneewakee were "terminated" according to their individual treatment plans which made keeping in contact or a reunion almost an impossibillity. I have started this page as an attempt to regain touch with some of those friends I made and discuss and perhaps find closure for many of the things we experienced.Although it is a shot in the dark,I felt I must try something. If you would like to get in touch with some of those "ghosts" from your past , please use this page as a springboard Perhaps we can answer some questions that we all have asked ourselves.Anyone interested can e-mail me below.. I attended @1973-1977.I was S-435.I was in Wawoka as my work group and my school group was Achunda.I went on the Mexico trip and I was at Carrabelle for a brief stint. I look forward to hearing from anyone who stumbles across this page. Thanks, Don Sewell [email protected] and I will send you step by step instructions to walk you through membership to anneewakeedot com or Anneewakee. WE have big plans for the next couple of years and we want you to be a part http://www.mental-health-resources.com/

--- End quote ---

http://www.angelfire.com/sc/comicaze/anneewakee.html

cmack:
http://www.fluther.com/70669/should-i-a ... -savannah/

Savannah College of Art and Design

--- Quote ---Wow. My condolences to you. Let me aquaint you with the people behind SCAD.

Dana Poetter got most of her money (as did the rest of the family) from a supposed 501C3 school that was intended for troubled teens and preteens. That school was called Anneewakee (Cherokee speak for “land of the friendly people”). However, i would be happy to show you where my family paid $93,000 annually for me to be there. And I am certainly far from the only one. Anneewakee had thousands of students. That family, besides escaping paying taxes, got filthy, stinking rich. That’s where the money to start SCAD came from.

It was created and run by Dana’s father, Louis J. “Doc” Poetter. In the mid 1980’s, the sadistic rapes and child abuse that went on since the early 1970’s finally caught up with the lecherous fuck, who was then forced to plead guilty to 17 counts of child molestation and aggravated sexual abuse of a minor.

His wife’s name is Mabel. SHe knew everything that went on, since many of the rapes took place in the home they shared just outside of Anneewakee’s “central campus” in Douglasville, Georgia. You will come to recognize her name because her daughter immortalized this kind and loving “Christian” woman by naming campus buildings after her. Hence, “Mabel Hall” was born. If you loike, I can send you an excerpt from a survivor male child who went there, who also testified in court that Mabel came into the bedrrom while Doc was raping him, but closed the door and walked away. SHe never reported her husband in all those years.

Now, I could provide COUNTLESS links to everything I just told you, but really, why bother? It isn’t likely to change your mind, even though there are a zillion other places you culd go that are much more within your field of graphic design. Any number of technical schoolds can provide you a much more on point education, which would also deny the board members of SCAD (most of which are family members who were more than happy to jump at the chance to make themselves rich off the blood money that Anneewakee generously provided them) of your funds.

But you do as you wish. That family has done everything possible to put thier past behind them. Only 2 of them ever served any time in prison for the crimes they commited against children. I won’t allow this to rest, nor will I allow their victims to be forgotten.

Oh, and you can find hundreds of Anneewakee survivors on various websites, including Yahoo and Facebook. Have a nice day.

--- End quote ---

http://www.fluther.com/70669/should-i-a ... -savannah/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah_C ... and_Design

--- Quote ---SCAD was founded in 1978 by Paula S. Wallace, Richard Rowan, May Poetter and Paul Poetter. In 1979, SCAD opened its doors with five trustees, four staff members, seven faculty members, and 71 students. At that time the school offered eight majors. In May 1981, the first graduate received a degree. The following year, the first graduating class received degrees. In 1982 the enrollment grew to more than 500 students, then to 1,000 in 1986, and 2,000 in 1989. In 2010, the university enrolled 10,461 students.
--- End quote ---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah_C ... and_Design

cmack:
I couldn't find an obit online, but I believe Poetter died of cancer in 2000.

Charles:
Yes u r right died of cancer in 2010 but so many things are quite unsolved so many things are not here by now so something they described by having guess.........

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version