Author Topic: I am an exsafe counselor  (Read 60105 times)

Offline exsafecounselor

• View Profile
I am an exsafe counselor
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2003, 03:18:00 PM »
Since I worked at SAFE, all the professional staff, who were all certified addictions professionals in the state of florida, no longer work in the mental health field any longer.  I guess we did have other skills after all.

Either you are mistaken or so focused on being right that you are not willing to listen.  Most of what you wrote is so far off base about how we applied the model at SAFE, that I question where you got the info from.

I do agree that many people, more than in most industries, in the mental health field have their own issues which are unresolved.  Loretta P. for example, was a master manipulator and control freak.  She was tough to work for and I can understand why a parent would question her fitness to do her job.  Any person who is stupid enough to tell a reporter that her critics are "cockroaches", is not a smart or well person.

You guys throw the term brainwashing around quite a bit.  The point of SAFE was to take everything away from them, and as they grew and developed, to reintegrate them back into daily life.  Ultimately, they leave the building and come back when they want.  This is not brainwashing or cult-like.  We did enstill in them such crazy things like accountability, honestly, feeling expression, healthy family roles, healthy friendships, and we even went so far as to connect them with this other cult, Alcoholics Anonymous, so they would not have to keep coming back to the building.

[ This Message was edited by: exsafecounselor on 2003-11-10 12:21 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
here is not a truth existing which I fear or would wish unknown to the whole world.

--- Thomas Jefferson

Offline exsafecounselor

• View Profile
I am an exsafe counselor
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2003, 03:26:00 PM »
The things that everyone are saying is why I would like to speak with SAFE clients that were in during my stay.  I know what they experienced and want to get their opinion on what happened.
here is not a truth existing which I fear or would wish unknown to the whole world.

--- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
I am an exsafe counselor
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2003, 04:16:00 PM »
Sure, they leave the building and come back when they're supposed to or their parents change the locks and try and starve them into submission. Brainwashing, ya' think? I tiny little thing like convincing a kid's parents that withdrawal of support and affection is somehow therapeutic?

You act asif we know nothing about SAFE, asif none of us talk to people who were there before, during or after your time. Why don't you give your name and see if any old friends of yours turn up to say hi?

Education is that which remains, if one has forgotten everything he learned in school.
--Albert Einstein, Out of My Later Years, 1950

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline exsafecounselor

• View Profile
I am an exsafe counselor
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2003, 04:31:00 PM »
You have a teenage child who has used drugs, been in trouble with the law, destroyed your property, and made your life a living hell.  When that child runs away from the program that you put them in to end the insanity and knocks on your door, why in God's name would you welcome them back.  

I can just imagine a parent saying that I dont care what you did in the past and I dont care that you did not get any better in treatment, I am just so glad to see you that I wont make you go better if you dont want.  

In reality, we had quite a few of those parents.  They were the first to say that they disagreed with our rules.  I wonder if their child made a miraculous turn around.

[ This Message was edited by: exsafecounselor on 2003-11-10 13:33 ]

--- Thomas Jefferson

Offline exsafecounselor

• View Profile
I am an exsafe counselor
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2003, 04:36:00 PM »
I have revealed my identity to some people on this sight, who give me the impression that they are reasonable, rational people.  Without even knowing me, people on this site have called me a child abuser, brainwasher, one guy called me a child molester (sp?), stupid, and I am sure I am forgetting a few.  

I know that many people have issues dating back from treatment at Straight and because of Straight.  I simply dont want them misdirecting their issues at me.

--- Thomas Jefferson

Offline sammiegirl

• View Profile
I am an exsafe counselor
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2003, 05:07:00 PM »
Either you are mistaken or so focused on being right that you are not willing to listen. Most of what you wrote is so far off base about how we applied the model at SAFE, that I question where you got the info from.

I have origional documents from your time at SAFE from parents and ex-staff and I have letters written by Loretta about parent behavior.
I have sworn testimony from SAFElings from your time.

Why won't they talk to you. WELL YOU ARE THEIR BOOGIEMAN!! Can't realy blame them. :wstupid:
ND THE TRUTH WILL SET US FREE

Offline sammiegirl

• View Profile
I am an exsafe counselor
« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2003, 05:08:00 PM »
Since I worked at SAFE, all the professional staff, who were all certified addictions professionals in the state of florida, no longer work in the mental health field any longer. I guess we did have other skills after all.

Sorry I have to laugh :rofl:  :lol: A CAP takes 6 weeks and is a certificate that ANYONE can get. Show me your degree, allowing you to work w/children

Offline sammiegirl

• View Profile
I am an exsafe counselor
« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2003, 05:12:00 PM »
I do agree that many people, more than in most industries, in the mental health field have their own issues which are unresolved. :scared:  Loretta P. for example, was a master manipulator and control freak. :scared:  She was tough to work for and I can understand why a parent would question her fitness to do her job. :idea:

Offline sammiegirl

• View Profile
I am an exsafe counselor
« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2003, 05:14:00 PM »
I have revealed my identity to some people on this sight, who give me the impression that they are reasonable, rational people. Without even knowing me, people on this site have called me a child abuser, brainwasher, one guy called me a child molester (sp?), stupid, and I am sure I am forgetting a few. :cry2: Sucks doesn't it.
Well you have a taste of what the kids went through during confrontation.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
I am an exsafe counselor
« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2003, 05:17:00 PM »
On 2003-11-10 13:31:00, exsafecounselor wrote:

"You have a teenage child who has used drugs, been in trouble with the law, destroyed your property, and made your life a living hell.  When that child runs away from the program that you put them in to end the insanity and knocks on your door, why in God's name would you welcome them back.  

Well, I would never put her in a program that kept her against her will and incommunicado in the first place. But when my problem child knocked on my door wanting to come home (well, actually she called) we welcomed her back because we love her.

I can just imagine a parent saying that I dont care what you did in the past and I dont care that you did not get any better in treatment, I am just so glad to see you that I wont make you go better if you dont want.  

At some point, a parent has to realize that the kid is grown and has to figure some things out for themselves. I can't make my daughter do or be anything she doesn't choose.

In reality, we had quite a few of those parents.  They were the first to say that they disagreed with our rules.  I wonder if their child made a miraculous turn around.

Well, I can tell you that my dad defected from Straight just a few months after I did and was very supportive of me from then until he died. But I did settle down, marry, have a family, buy a house, start a business and, overall, am very happy with my life. I wouldn't call it miraculous, though. That's actually how it usually plays out. If you're really interested, you should try and remember the names of some of the pull-offs, look them up and ask them how things worked out. You'll probably be surprised more often than not.

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Straight South (Sarasota, FL)
Anonymity Anonymous

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
I am an exsafe counselor
« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2003, 05:24:00 PM »
On 2003-11-10 13:36:00, exsafecounselor wrote:

"I have revealed my identity to some people on this sight, who give me the impression that they are reasonable, rational people.  Without even knowing me, people on this site have called me a child abuser, brainwasher, one guy called me a child molester (sp?), stupid, and I am sure I am forgetting a few.  

I know that many people have issues dating back from treatment at Straight and because of Straight.  I simply dont want them misdirecting their issues at me.  
"

That's about like saying you occasionally have dinner with Jeffrey Dauhmer, he's a really nice guy and never serves human when you come to visit. If you defend child abuse and child abusers, of COURSE people are going to paint you with the same brush.

I'd like to see your answer to Sammie's question about not reporting Loretta Parish. Further, would you care to speculate about how you might have responded to investigator questions if/when someone else reported her?

I know that our bodies were made to thrive only in pure air, and the scenes in which pure air is found.
-- John Muir

Offline exsafecounselor

• View Profile
I am an exsafe counselor
« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2003, 05:30:00 PM »
I cut and pasted this from the Certification Board of Addicition Professionals website.

CAP

Certified Addiction Professional

This classification is viewed as the title for the addiction treatment professional primarily involved in providing direct treatment services in addictions. The requirements for this classification are as follows:

Degree: Bachelor?s Degree (minimum)
Experience: 6,000 hours of Direct Service
(within past 10 years)

Supervision: 300 hours of Direct Supervision
(A minimum of 10 hours must be documented in each skill area)

Education: 300 hours of Education:
145 hours of Addiction education
125 hours in Counseling education
30 hours must be in Ethics
4 hours must be in HIV/AIDS*
2 hours must be in Domestic Violence*
* Part of the total Education requirement, and counts for either Addiction or Counseling.  
Written exam(s): Florida Specific Exam, and International Exam
Oral exam: Yes **

** Oral exam exemption: For applicants applying for the CAP certification with a Master?s Degree in a clinical counseling or counseling-related field (i.e., social work, mental health counseling, marriage and family, psychology), the oral exam may be waived if the following requirements are met:

Degree was received from a fully accredited institution, recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or Commission on Recognition of Postsecondary Accreditation, AND EITHER:
Have at least one university-sponsored supervised clinical practicum, internship, or field experience in a counseling setting where you provided clinical services directly to clients, OR
Have registered Intern Status through the Agency for Health Care Administration.
A written request to waive the oral exam must accompany your application.

Not quite what you thought, is it.  It seems that we can learn from each other.  Does this allow me to work with children?  6000 hours of direct service, 300 hours of direct supervision, 300 hours of education, a written and an oral exam.  All of this prior to becoming certified.  I am qualified or at least I was, I dropped my certification a couple of years after I left the indusry.

Check it our for yourself http://www.netinstitute.net/CertProcess2.htm#CAP

[ This Message was edited by: exsafecounselor on 2003-11-10 14:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: exsafecounselor on 2003-11-10 14:37 ]

[ This Message was edited by: exsafecounselor on 2003-11-10 14:41 ]

--- Thomas Jefferson

Offline exsafecounselor

• View Profile
I am an exsafe counselor
« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2003, 05:32:00 PM »
There are many controlling, manipulative people who are not abusive.  If I called HRS, I could tell them that she does not listen to staff in our meetings, she has unresolved personal issues, and she is a religious hypocrite.  Does HRS cover those kinds of things now?

--- Thomas Jefferson

Offline exsafecounselor

• View Profile
I am an exsafe counselor
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2003, 05:33:00 PM »
I have never, nor will I ever defend child abuse or child abusers.  If I have please let me know.

--- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
I am an exsafe counselor
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2003, 05:44:00 PM »
On 2003-11-10 14:33:00, exsafecounselor wrote:

"I have never, nor will I ever defend child abuse or child abusers.  If I have please let me know.
"

I'm trying to.

Can you at least better imagine the bizarre concept of a parent giving unconditional love and support to a child, even if the child doesn't do as she's told?

Q. I simply ask, why is PUNISHMENT the solution with regards to the narrow group of behaviors which encompass illegal drug use....?

A.Pharmaceutical Business, both legal and illegal, run by the same people either way, money coming to the middle from both ends.  Bush.
http://www.luxefaire.com/' target='_new'>Bill Gallagher