Author Topic: A LIFE Parent - Where is she now?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
A LIFE Parent - Where is she now?
« on: October 04, 2003, 09:11:00 PM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 12:50:00 AM »
I don't know, Sara. Do you ever have bad daydreams? I do. Instead of going off on some pleasant flight of fancy, I just as often explore horrible possabilities. I suppose I want to be prepared for anything.

I'll never have to take care of my mother. She has 5 other kids, one a single, childless nurse and a couple more who would pitch in whatever they had to. But I've sometimes wondered what would happen if I did have to take care of her. She's been a certified nut for a number of years and, as I understand it, just lately my sister has considered putting her in a home. At one point when she was very ill, my sister asked me if I wanted to be included in any decisions about Mom's care. All I could come up with was that I'd be happy to pick out a suitable nursing home for her. Vindictive? Hell yeah. But then, I knew very well that I wouldn't actually have to deal with it in real life.

I guess you just take it as it comes. Maybe there's some holy grail hidden in there somewhere. I'm sure I'd give my eye teeth to have a real, authentic, honest to God loving relationship with my mother. But it's just not possible. Maybe if I were her only living relative and her only other choice was living on the street then she'd be willing to deal. But that's not going to happen and I wouldn't wish it on her. Not really.

Were the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. Thus in France the emetic was once forbidden as a medicine, and the potato as an article of food. Government is just as infallible,[sic] too, when it fixes systems in physics. Galileo was sent to the Inquisition for affirming that the earth was a sphere.... It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'>Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 12:58:00 PM »
Yes, I have some bad daydreams - fortunately no nightmares.  They all revolve around losing my home and abandonment - go figure.  But since I've identified the cause of it all, had a good cry and realized that I'm the one in control of my life - it's been much better.

I've thought about the horrible possibilities too - that she could drink herself to death in my house, or pawn everything I own, etc... Then I think ' at least she dies with a roof over her head' or 'that stuff can always be replaced'.  I guess I've had to get myself out of much worse, so anything else isn't so bad.  I know damned well she can't sign me into another progam.

I certainly understand your feelings about your mother, because I have those feelings too.  I think about how things are now with her position in life and think "Well, what comes around DOES go around"... then I feel guilty for feeling that way.  

The vindictive side of me would like to laugh in her face, because it was me who would never amount to anything and it was me who would "wind up on the streets"

But that's just a small part - for the most part, I'm a very compassionate person.  I've given panhandlers ten bucks so they still have money to eat if they decided they absolutely HAD to have the booze or the drugs.  I've helped total strangers, who may or may not have done far worse things than my mother - I'll never know.
But I don't have to live with them, either.

But you did hit the nail on the head by saying if you were the only one invovled, you may be willing to deal.  That's what it's coming down to.  Acutally, her mother, my grandmother is willing to provide some financial help, but she is far too frail (and lives 1500 miles away and never leaves the house) to deal with all the issues.  She wants me to 'fix it', but doesn't quite understand my stake - I stand to lose a good job, and a shot at law school if I just pick up and start traepsing around the country.

So, I guess once again, my security IS compromised because of all of this, and that's what's so scary.  But then again.. it is MY decision, right?

On 2003-10-04 21:50:00, Antigen wrote:

"I don't know, Sara. Do you ever have bad daydreams? I do. Instead of going off on some pleasant flight of fancy, I just as often explore horrible possabilities. I suppose I want to be prepared for anything.

I'll never have to take care of my mother. She has 5 other kids, one a single, childless nurse and a couple more who would pitch in whatever they had to. But I've sometimes wondered what would happen if I did have to take care of her. She's been a certified nut for a number of years and, as I understand it, just lately my sister has considered putting her in a home. At one point when she was very ill, my sister asked me if I wanted to be included in any decisions about Mom's care. All I could come up with was that I'd be happy to pick out a suitable nursing home for her. Vindictive? Hell yeah. But then, I knew very well that I wouldn't actually have to deal with it in real life.

I guess you just take it as it comes. Maybe there's some holy grail hidden in there somewhere. I'm sure I'd give my eye teeth to have a real, authentic, honest to God loving relationship with my mother. But it's just not possible. Maybe if I were her only living relative and her only other choice was living on the street then she'd be willing to deal. But that's not going to happen and I wouldn't wish it on her. Not really.

Were the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. Thus in France the emetic was once forbidden as a medicine, and the potato as an article of food. Government is just as infallible,[sic] too, when it fixes systems in physics. Galileo was sent to the Inquisition for affirming that the earth was a sphere.... It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'>Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia

"

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2003, 01:43:00 PM »
On 2003-10-05 09:58:00, Sara-1984 wrote:

but doesn't quite understand my stake - I stand to lose a good job, and a shot at law school if I just pick up and start traepsing around the country.

So, I guess once again, my security IS compromised because of all of this, and that's what's so scary. But then again.. it is MY decision, right?"

I wouldn't want to jeopardize that if I were you. And it kind of strikes a nerve.

One of the most onerous parts of Program dogma, at least to me, has always been the premis that parent's shouldn't have to be put out by difficult kids. That was the blanket justification for every excess; they had to do it. Honestly, the reason why I can't get along with my mom is because I can't bring myself to suck it up. Whenever she'd complain about all the money and long drives and sacrifices she made to get me treatment, I'd come right back with the fact that I never asked for any of that, never needed it and so it's not my fault and don't try pinning it on me. The rest of them get along with her because either they believe it or they're able to let it slide.

But you probably don't need to put yourself out that much. I mean, how much are the halfway houses and such doing for her now? Do you really have to go get her or can you just send her a bus ticket? If she's able to fend for herself in the colder realms of the real world, a few bus stations probably won't phase her at all.

The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.
-- Patrick Henry

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline GypSeA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2003, 05:40:00 PM »
Hey Sara!

I'm sorry to hear of the decision your having to make.  And wish you nothing but the best with it!  The reason I'm writing is because I was also in LIFE from 85 - 88.  My name is Christi - and I just recently ran across all of this info.  forum's etc.  How long were you there? do you remember Patty? Britteney?  I was a seven stepper whose parents decided to bring back in and I just sat on the pews for months on a no phase.

Christi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2003, 07:29:00 PM »
I was there for four short months: April - July 1984.  The thing that gets to me is - if that short experience affected me (in miror ways, but it has affected my life for twenty years) - what must it have done to others?  Makes me very angry... but I'm WAY off topic!  :wstupid:

(Okay, so I AM stupid in this case!)

Anyway - no, those names don't ring any bells.  Faces etched in my mind are Ms. Pete herself... Jeff - who told us cuba was bombing us and we weren't going to live thru the rap.. and Judy (Jeff and Judy were staff members).  I do remember a couple of people though...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2003, 10:10:00 PM »
kill them