Author Topic: Pinehaven Christian Children's Ranch - new entry on the wiki  (Read 16185 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Pinehaven Christian Children's Ranch - new entry on the wiki
« on: August 07, 2010, 04:00:48 AM »
We are working on an article about Pinehaven Christian Children's Ranch

Some news:

February 2005 a man got sentenced to prison for the rape of two 15-year-old girls while he was employed as a youth supervisor at the faciity

August 2010 4 teenagers ran away from the facility
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Courts address three rape cases, one sexual assault
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:38:15 AM »
Here's some earlier coverage about that rape case; the pertinent case discussed is the first one:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Lake County Leader · (Polson, Montana)
Courts address three rape cases, one sexual assault

Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2004 12:00 am | Updated: 1:57 pm, Thu Feb 18, 2010.
By Maggie Plummer · of the Leader

POLSON - District Judges C. B. McNeil and D. K. Christopher processed a total of 60 District Court cases last week, playing catch-up from some recent weeks when court sessions were not held.

Among those cases were three rape cases and a multiple sexual assault case involving a Polson man who had allegedly failed to register as a sex offender.

James Stanley Barnes, the 25-year-old Dixon man accused of having sex with two of his 15-year-old female students at the Pinehaven Christian School in St. Ignatius, changed his plea to guilty last Wednesday.

In a plea agreement, he pleaded guilty to two counts of felony sexual intercourse without consent.

Two felony counts of sexual assault are being dismissed, under the terms of the plea bargain.

His sentencing is set for Dec. 1.

According to court files, the defendant allegedly had sex with the two female victims on several occasions between October 2003 and May 2004.

The two teenage victims lived at the school. One of them is from Washington and the other is from Montana.

Barnes' plea agreement recommends that he be sentenced to 15 years in Montana State Prison.

For each felony count, the plea bargain calls for 35 years with 20 years suspended, with the sentences for each count to run concurrently.

The maximum penalty for two counts of felony sexual intercourse without consent is life in prison.

John Thomas Bigcrane, 28, of Ronan was sentenced to 20 years in the state prison for felony sexual intercourse without consent.

According to court files, during February 2003 the defendant allegedly had intercourse with a 15-year-old victim.

In sentencing Bigcrane, Judge McNeil specified that he will not be eligible for parole until he has completed three phases of the prison's sex offender treatment program.

Bigcrane must also pay $55 in court surcharges and a $100 public defender fee.

Scott Reum, 30, of Polson changed his plea to guilty of failing to register as a sex offender and three counts of felony sexual assault.

He is due to be sentenced Nov. 10.

According to a court affidavit, Reum was convicted of felony sexual assault in April 1993. After two probation violations, the defendant was sent to Montana State Prison in June 2000, and released on July 24, 2002.

He was last registered as a sex offender in the City of Kalispell on Dec. 19, 2002, court records state.

According to the court file, Reum moved back to Lake County in early 2003. According to police, he lived here for about a month and a half and had not registered himself as required by law.

Then, the court file states, a school counselor told county detectives that a five-year-old girl had approached the counselor with concerns about the defendant. The affidavit states that Reum admitted to police that he'd not registered here as a sex offender, and that on three occasions during March 2003 he had touched the girl in a sexual way.

Byron Alexander Johnson, 21, of Dayton pleaded not guilty to felony sexual intercourse without consent and was released on $3,000 bond.

According to the court file, Johnson allegedly had sex with a 13-year-old girl. The affidavit also says that the girl told the defendant that she was 17 years old.

© Copyright 2010, leaderadvertiser.com, Polson, MT.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Dixon man sentenced to prison for raping girls
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 11:26:38 AM »
Missoulian
Dixon man sentenced to prison for raping girls
By JOHN STROMNES of the Missoulian | Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 12:00 am

POLSON – A Dixon man who raped two girls while he was working as a youth supervisor at Pinehaven Christian Children's Ranch near St. Ignatius received a 10-year prison sentence Wednesday, with an additional 10 years suspended.

James Stanley Barnes, 26, held back tears as he told District Judge C.B. McNeil of his remorse.

"It was despicable and it was wrong. I regret it immensely. I ask the court to give me an opportunity to make amends for what I have done," Barnes said before the judge sentenced him on two felony counts of sexual intercourse without consent.

His wife and 2-year-old daughter were in the courtroom, and a minister and a former co-worker at the home for troubled teens testified that they were confident Barnes truly was remorseful and would not reoffend when he leaves prison.

His co-worker said Barnes was hired without receiving training and was unprepared for the stresses and temptations of the job.

His attorney, Ben Anciaux, said Barnes' wife would serve as a "watchdog" once Barnes gets out of prison, to make sure he complies with all 35 rules of probation written into the sentence.

The prosecutor, Chief Deputy County Attorney Mitch Young, sought a longer term – 15 years in prison, with an additional 20 years suspended, because Barnes took advantage of his position of authority and trust as a teacher at the school to entice the two teenage girls into having sex with him.

The state probation officer responsible for the presentence investigation recommended the lesser prison term. A sexual offender evaluation prepared by a psychologist also stated that Barnes was unlikely to reoffend.

The maximum sentence for sexual intercourse without consent is life in prison.

Barnes could be out of prison in as little as three years if he completes Phase 1 of the sexual offender treatment program in that time. He must continue sexual offender treatment once he leaves prison, the judge ordered.

Barnes must also pay all counseling and medical expenses related to his sexual liaisons with the teenagers. Both girls were under 16 years old when the crimes occurred. Juveniles under the age of 16 cannot legally give consent to having sex with adults.

Two additional felony charges of sexual assault were dismissed as a result of a plea agreement.

Barnes was fired from his job at Pinehaven after the victims made their allegations to investigators in May 2004. He was arrested May 6, pleaded not guilty in June, and changed his plea to guilty in October. A delay in sentencing occurred because the sexual offender evaluation had to be prepared. The offenses occurred in 2002 and 2003 while the girls were residents at the ranch in the foothills south of St. Ignatius.

Reporter John Stromnes can be reached at 1-800-366-7186 or [email protected]

Posted in State-and-regional on Thursday, January 27, 2005 12:00 am Updated: 7:47 am.

© Copyright 2010, missoulian.com, Missoula, MT

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Dixon man gets 10 years for rape
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 12:02:26 PM »
Lake County Leader · (Polson, Montana)
Dixon man gets 10 years for rape

Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 12:00 am | Updated: 1:59 pm, Thu Feb 18, 2010.
By Eric Baker · Leader Staff

James Stanley Barnes, 26, was sentenced to 10 years in prison on Jan. 27 for the rape of two 15-year-old girls while he was employed as a youth supervisor at Pinehaven Christian Children's Ranch near St. Ignatius.

Barnes, of Dixon, was given an additional 10 years suspended sentence by District Judge C.B. McNeil. Pinehaven fired Barnes after an investigation began in May, 2004.

Lake County Deputy Attorney Mitch Young sought a longer term for Barnes because he took advantage of his position as an authority figure to entice the teenagers to have sex. But the presentence investigation recommended a lighter term and the two 10-year sentences for Barnes are to run concurrently. A psychologist's evaluation said Barnes was unlikely to reoffend.

According to court documents, Barnes put his hand under the shirt of one girl and attempted to have intercourse with her, but she resisted. The defendant sexually assaulted her with his finger instead. Another victim said he put his hand under her shirt, and had sexual intercourse with her in the storage room of the school.

While the maximum sentence for rape is life in prison, Barnes could be out in three years if he completes Phase 1 of the sexual offender treatment program. He could then be considered for parole, and Phases 2 and 3 must be completed before he is released from the Montana State Prison system.

Barnes must also pay all medical bills and counseling expenses for the victims. He has 35 rules of probation written into his sentence, and if he violates only one, it would be grounds for a revoking his parole.

The legal age of consent for sex is 16 in Montana. Two felony sexual assault charges were dropped as part of the plea bargain.

The defendant had originally described his relationships as consensual, but afterward realized he was in a position of authority that affected his judgment.

Barnes is married and has a two-year-old daughter.

© Copyright 2010, leaderadvertiser.com, Polson, MT.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
"About Pinehaven" - pinehaven reform site
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 01:07:05 PM »
About Pinehaven — "The Official Site of Pinehaven Alumni for Change" — appears to have been created shortly after the sentencing of James Stanley Barnes for rape and devotes a couple of entries to that case. It also has some entries about program regulation in Montana, but then nothing more.

Here's what About Pinehaven has to say 'bout the James Barnes case:

Our Response

Our official response in regarding the incidents surrounding the rape of 2 young girls at Pinehaven is as follows:

We are very sorry that someone wasn’t there standing in and protecting these children. That was supposed to be the job of the staff. That was the job of the directors and we believe they let down those two young girls. We strongly advocate change in Pinehaven in the following areas in response to these incidents. We are not going away. We believe that any organization needs to evaluate itself when people are hurt in this dramatic a way by a staff member, and relative of the Directors.

Our proposed changes:

1. Management of Pinehaven

We advocate a strong board of directors made up of former Alumni, Other church supporters, and representatives from First Christian Church,St Ignatius.

2. Hiring and Personnel Decisions

We believe that background checks should be mandatory for all current staff members, all future hires,and volunteers. We also believe that all future hires should be approved by proposed Board of Directors.

3. Resource Management

We believe that resources are often misallocated, misused, and misrepresented by current staff at Pinehaven and we believe in order to be responsible to the supporters of Pinehaven that we need to responsibly manage the funds brought into Pinehaven.

# #

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Pinehaven Christian Children's Ranch - MerchantCircle re
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 02:02:37 PM »
Two "reviews" from MerchantCircle:

Pinehaven Christian Childrens Ranch
Saint Ignatius, MT 59865
406-745-4628

Member since April 2009.

Merchant Information

Childrens Home
  • Main Website,
  • Hours: N/A
  • Payment: Non Profit Organization
  • Subscribe to our Newsletter Today!

Customer Reviews

My Three years at PineHaven

The three years that I spent at PineHaven was a lfe changing experience and I really appreciate what Boband Andy Larson are doing for the kids there. My life is totally different because of PineHaven and I am really grateful especially for my awesome House parents that I was able to have there. Dave and Jeanie Moe. They tuaght me a lot while I was up there. I had my ups and my downs, but in the end it my life turned out pretty good. The kids should not waste there time up there they should change and do what they know is right. If they do this there life may turn out for the better.

February 12, 2009 by
Ryon Morgan in Prescott Valley, AZ[/list]
A GREAT PLACE TO BE!!!

We have had the opportunity to visit Pinehaven for several years and found no better place for a child to learn Biblical values as well as learning basic social skills for their development. With the lack of discipline among children at the local, public school level, I can highly recommend this ranch as one which truly operates on the level. We certainly commend the Larsson's for their devotion and hard work.
    May the Lord truly continue to Bless Them as they labor in His work!!!

August 12, 2008 by
Nancy and Don Noble in Louisville, KY[/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
'Talk to me" on Merchant Circle
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 02:13:12 PM »
'Talk to me' messages for Pinehaven Christian Childrens Ranch on MerchantCircle:

We live in Arlee and would like to come to the sunrise service on Easter. But we dont know what time it starts. Rick and Sally Cordier
March 22, 2008 by Rick Cordier[/list]
    Rick and Sally... That will be at 7am on Easter Sunday Morning. Also, please visit our website at
http://www.pinehaven.net If you have any questions please call the office at 745-4545
April 04, 2009 by Andy Larsson[/list]

I hope Rick and Sally weren't holding their breath for the answer to their question. It came more than a year later!  :D

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
What is Pinehaven ?
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
A coupla entries from the blog Standing in Corners (THE TRUTH ABOUT PINEHAVEN CHRISTIAN CHILDRENS RANCH)[/size]:

Btw, I believe that they are wrong about the founding date ... which, to my understanding, was at some time in 1976. However, IIRC, there was a big change as far as the schooling component of Pinehaven was concerned, and that may have occurred in 1984...

What is Pinehaven ?
09. Jun, 2010 0 Comments

Pinehaven claims to be a residential, year-round program designed to help young people. It’s track record is far different however. It is a structured and controlled environment that has a history of child abuse. It was founded in 1984 by Bob Larsson and wife Nancy Larsson.

Pinehaven does no background checks on employees. Pinehaven has virtually no training process. Pinehaven has no residential counselors, or medical staff on site, and is not a licensed youth rehabilitation facility.

# #

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
What is Child Abuse ?
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 11:11:11 PM »
What is Child Abuse ?
09. Jun, 2010 0 Comments

Child Abuse is physical or psychological mistreatment of a child by its parents, guardians, or other adults. Child sexual abuse denotes sexual abuse of or sexual activity with children. Child sexual abuse is a criminal offense everywhere.

Not only does Pinehaven have a history of Child Abuse, it's done next to nothing to prevent that this occurs again.

# #

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
7 Reasons Not To Send Your Child To Pinehaven
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 05:15:41 PM »
7 Reasons Not To Send Your Child To Pinehaven
09. Jun, 2010 8 Comments

1. No Oversight by Licensed Mental Healthcare Agency
2. History of Lack of Adequate Counseling for Children
3. Restricted Phone Privileges & Communication With Family Members
4. History of Non-Prosecuted, yet documented Child Abuse by Lead Houseparents
5. History of Prosecuted, and Documented Sexual Abuse as a result of poor hiring practices
6. History of Non-Prosecuted, yet documented Abuse of Disabled Students
7. Family Based Administration Refuses to do internal investigation of staff members

# #

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Responses to "7 Reasons Not To Send Your Child To Pinehaven"
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 05:39:46 PM »
Responses to "7 Reasons Not To Send Your Child To Pinehaven" (from the blog 'Standing In Corners'):

Tammy Ellis · 28. Jun, 2010 at 9:46 am
    About Pinehaven Christian Childrens Ranch
    Yes I have a son in there, (my sister put him in there, secretively and told the house parents not to let him talk to me which i didn’t know where him or my daughter was for several years. And yes they just took her at her word without any legal documentation that she has custody of my son and daughter. Anyhow would love for someone to help me get every documentation on this place and the house parents.
    Much Appreciated
    Sincerely,
    Tammy Ellis
rhonda morris · 30. Jul, 2010 at 5:29 pm
    I sent my son to pinehaven through the court system as a condition of his probation. My son and another boy dissappeared from there on 7/16/10 thru my own investigation with no help or information from pinehaven i have since found out that 2 more minor boys went missing on 7/26/10. They are all listed missing with the montana state police, the initial report originating from the lake county sherriffs department. I want to find my son, or at least find out what happened to my son. And pinehaven is doing nothing and not sharing information that may be helpfull. How many children have dissappeared and how many more need to dissappear?
Mary Holland · 04. Aug, 2010 at 4:48 pm
    My grandson was sent to Pinehaven by the courts, all of his family told him we thought it would be a good place. There he would learn a lot and get a good education and even college.
    Now we have learned different and we feel we sent him off to the wolfs(so to speak) now he don’t feel he can call us (if he is alive) he don’t trust us anymore.
    I can only hope he will make it to us .
    Also I wonder if the boy is alive at all.

One parent said he was told its in Gods hands now, yes it is but PH needs to understand they are responsible for this children and should do more to help find them instead they WORRY about a lawsuit.
    I feel PH is so WORRIED about their selves and to they really don’t care about the boy who left.They best be carefull God is watching and reep what you sow . This could come home to them….
David Krug · 05. Aug, 2010 at 3:52 am
    Mary Im' sorry to hear that. It is in God's hands but that doesnt stop people from doing what is best for these kids.

That's the point of this website to educate parents, churches, and the general public about the truth about Pinehaven.
Anonymous · 05. Aug, 2010 at 4:53 pm
    PARENTS!!! Please email your phone number to David or myself and we can give you all the information you need… my email is [email protected]. I’m not sure what David’s is, but he’s on facebook. He has been bold enough to put his name up… I’m not quite ready for that, but ANY PARENT THAT IS TRYING TO REACH OUT AND HELP THERE CHILD is more than welcome to email me. I will get back to you over the phone…
    We are praying for the missing children. Please keep your hopes up parents! THEY WILL FIND THEIR WAY HOME.
Robbi Stone · 05. Aug, 2010 at 10:09 pm
    I understand all to well of these sort of places, Not to many years ago my 4 sons went to a christian home similar to this,while my x and I were going through a divorce,It is not all it is cracked up to be,when i heard about cody my heart sank,And I feel for LaRaine and Mary,A couple boys ran away from the home my sons was at also ,one from Effingham, was hit by a truck and was killed, Yes I am sure there is good people there ,,but there is also so very bad people also ,lord forgive me,There has been a lot of heart ache over the years with my sons and some of the thing that happened , I think these kind of homes need to be checked with a fine tooth comb, Because I do not think they are being checked good enough.
Conrad Schoreck · 05. Aug, 2010 at 10:19 pm
    Cody is my cousin I don’t like that he ran away who does.I herd from someone that has been there and he said that is a horrible place.
Jennifer Ornduff · 08. Aug, 2010 at 4:45 am
    To all of the families who are lost. Please oh please dont send you kids back to the ranch once you get them home. I was tortured and physically abused many times daily. This is no place for kids to go. I got no help with the probs I had. They need a serious overhaul on what, and how they do things there. I will pray for your childrens safe return. Much love and wishes for their safe return.

# #

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pinehaven Christian Children's Ranch - new entry on the
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 08:03:57 PM »
It seems that it is a shame that the god fearing men and women who make up the staff of Pinehaven will no longer be allowed to put down Jesus as a character reference on their applications.

What ever will they do?

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Re: Pinehaven Christian Children's Ranch - new entry on the
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 06:29:07 AM »
I just find it odd that we have missed the entry on our wiki for so long. They were a part of the legislation proces in Montana years back where a couple of residential treatment centers worked to create the highest ethical standards found in residential treatment centers in the U.S.

We should have digged in but fail to do that. I am sorry that this facility slipped under our surveillance system.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Pinehaven Christian Children's Ranch - missing kids
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 11:28:15 AM »
Quote from: "Oscar"
I just find it odd that we have missed the entry on our wiki for so long. They were a part of the legislation proces in Montana years back where a couple of residential treatment centers worked to create the highest ethical standards found in residential treatment centers in the U.S.
Ya have to wonder whether those same connections had anything to do with the news blackout in the wake of four kids going missing from Pinehaven in July. The first news that I have been able to find re. those missing kids was this comment left on a blog entry (above), color emphasis added:

rhonda morris · 30. Jul, 2010 at 5:29 pm
      I sent my son to pinehaven through the court system as a condition of his probation.
    My son and another boy dissappeared from there on 7/16/10 thru my own investigation with no help or information from pinehaven i have since found out that 2 more minor boys went missing on 7/26/10. They are all listed missing with the montana state police, the initial report originating from the lake county sherriffs department. I want to find my son, or at least find out what happened to my son. And pinehaven is doing nothing and not sharing information that may be helpfull. How many children have dissappeared and how many more need to dissappear?[/list][/list][/size]
    Absolutely nothing from the mainstream news media. Yet.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Four Boys Missing From Pinehaven Since Mid July
    « Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 11:34:26 AM »
    So... four kids missing from Pinehaven Christian Childrens' Ranch, and NO word on the news? This prompted David Krug, the man behind the 'Standing In Corners' blog (to which above noted comment was made), to post about the situation:

Four Boys Missing From Pinehaven Since Mid July
    03. Aug, 2010 3 Comments

Since the middle of July a total of 4 boys ranging from 14 years old to 17 years old have literally vanished into thin air from the care of Pinehaven Christian Children's Ranch, with very little sign of them, and limited contact with any friends or loved ones.

3 of the 4 boys were under the care of Gary and Susan Henderson, whose house was left over capacity since 8 staff members have left in a mass exodus from Pinehaven that started in mid April.

Leadership at Pinehaven refused to comment on the issue of the staff exodus, the overcapacity issues, nor do they have any knowledge as to the current whereabouts of the boys. It appears the first two boys who ran away made it to Kalispel and had intentions of hitchhiking to Illinois.

Bob Larsson placed blame on the child's runaway on one of the parents who recently visited Pinehaven, and has been less than cooperative according to a parent of one of the runaways.

In my personal opinion the boys experienced a sense of desperation. The fact that 3 of the 4 boys came from the same household is a strong warning sign and HUGE red flag that should be addressed by staff.

Any information regarding the whearabouts of :

Cody Thompson

Chance Salyers

Thomas Morson

Adam Irvin

Any information regarding the missing boys should be made to the Lake County Sheriff’s Office in Polson, Montana
    (406) 883-7301

# #