Author Topic: Heroin killing in the heartland  (Read 4194 times)

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
Heroin killing in the heartland
« on: May 24, 2010, 04:38:05 PM »
:shamrock:  :shamrock:

Hate to see this. I wish we could eradicate this drug.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 3920225651
Death by heroin: Three stories from the heartland
Heroin is killing Americans in the most unlikely of places — the nation's rural areas and suburbs. As part of AP's look at the toll taken by a cheap and potent form of heroin, Amanda Henderson, Sue Tayon and John Roberts opened up about the losses of loved ones.

Danny
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Re: Heroin killing in the heartland
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 04:45:14 PM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"

Heroin is killing Americans in the most unlikely of places — the nation's rural areas and suburbs. As part of AP's look at the toll taken by a cheap and potent form of heroin, Amanda Henderson, Sue Tayon and John Roberts opened up about the losses of loved ones.

Danny

Why?  Obesity kills just as many, if not more, people each year.  Should we outlaw and eradicate McDonald's as well?

BTW.......gonna answer the question about the girl and the van?
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline alcoholics anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 04:48:41 PM »
Alice Dunn of Portland was at the school from 1976 to 1978 as a student, and until 1982 as a member of the staff. In testimony, she described the school's discipline process as "part of the general plan of humiliation that would lower someone's self-esteem and keep them in a general state where they were in constant terror."  

I think Danny worked with this lady but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 05:13:40 PM by alcoholics anonymous »

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 04:54:04 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

Danny

Why?  Obesity kills just as many, if not more, people each year.  Should we outlaw and eradicate McDonald's as well?

Anne nice to see you hope you had a wonderful weekend.
Well your probably right about McDonalds but I was talking about Herion.
Thanks for your input though.

Danny

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 04:57:54 PM »

Danny

Yeah.........and.........?

Gonna answer the question about the girl and the van yet?

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 05:37:39 PM »

Danny

Oh I'm sorry I forgot, your gorgeous darling.
Ciao baby
Danny

Offline alcoholics anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 06:00:52 PM »
When I posted this article it sure CAUGHT DANNY"S ATTENTION.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30340&start=30

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 10:10:43 AM »

Danny

Ciao baby
Danny

Thanks but.....how is obesity different from a heroin addiction?  Obesity, Poor Diet and Physical Inactivity kills approximately 365,000 per year......ALL illicit drug use, both direct and indirect, kills approximately 17,000 per year.  Which is the bigger scourge?  You want to "eradicate" heroin, why would McDonald's/KFC/Burger King etc. be any different?

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »

Danny wrote:

Anne wrote:

Danny wrote:
Ciao baby

Anne wrote:
Thanks but.....how is obesity different from a heroin addiction?  Obesity, Poor Diet and Physical Inactivity kills approximately 365,000 per year......ALL illicit drug use, both direct and indirect, kills approximately 17,000 per year.  Which is the bigger scourge?  You want to "eradicate" heroin, why would McDonald's/KFC/Burger King etc. be any different?

Danny wrote:
I am not debating this discrepancy between Heroin and Obesity why because I have been a heroin addict I have never been obese. So I have no defense to your argument, I will take your comments at face value.
Once again lets stay on topic please and here more about Heroin addiction. I know you want to force your topic in but you must have manners Anne. I am trying to be a better person would you.
Thank you

Danny

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 12:47:22 PM »
I am not debating this discrepancy between Heroin and Obesity why because I have been a heroin addict I have never been obese. So I have no defense to your argument, I will take your comments at face value.
Once again lets stay on topic please and here more about Heroin addiction. I know you want to force your topic in but you must have manners Anne. I am trying to be a better person would you.
Thank you

Danny

I'm not off topic.  I'm asking how the dangers from heroin are any different than the dangers of obesity.  If you want to 'eradicate' something because it's dangerous to people, you're starting down that proverbial "slippery slope".

Offline elanasshole

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 12:54:49 PM »
We learn more about you every day.  Dope addict.  Heroin addict.  First you stated you were an employee at ELAN.  You have stated you were a survivor.  You have stated you were an employer.  When are the lies going to stop Danny Bennison Ole Boy?  What's next crack addiction?

:jawdrop:

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 01:08:51 PM »

Quote from: "elanasshole"
We learn more about you every day.
Thank you for your interest.

Dope addict.  Heroin addict.
In case you didn't know there the same thing, sorry your to young to know.

First you stated you were an employee at ELAN.
Yes this is true from 1/77 till 11/78
You have stated you were a survivor.
That is true from 6/75 till today

You have stated you were an employer.
Yes this is true I actually own 2 businesses with approx. 125 employees.

When are the lies going to stop Danny Bennison Ole Boy?
No lies sorry to disappoint you.
What's next crack addiction? [/b]
No I don't think so, I am all done for this life.

P.S.
I will say this though there is alot more to my life that I have posted here if you want to quote more of my bio.
Just look around. Ok.......... bye bye

Danny

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 01:10:20 PM »
Want to stop heroin from killing people?  legalize it.

http://www.peele.net/lib/heroinoverdose.html

DPFT News (Drug Policy Forum of Texas), August, 1999, p. 5
© Copyright 1998 Stanton Peele. All rights reserved.
The Persistent, Dangerous Myth of Heroin Overdose

Stanton Peele

People rarely die from heroin overdoses — meaning pure concentrations of the drug which simply overwhelm the body's responses. What, then, are we to make of frequent reports of heroin overdoses from Plano, Texas and Strathclyde, Scotland? People do die while consuming heroin — but the overdose myth may actually make such deaths more, rather than less, likely.

The first popular source to tell us about the myth of heroin overdose was the classic 1972 Consumer Union Report, Licit & Illicit Drugs, written by Edward M. Brecher. Brecher pointed out that, when street doses of heroin were far purer than they are today (China Cat and black-tar heroin scares notwithstanding), drug overdoses were practically unknown.

Brecher noted that heroin overdoses began to be reported in New York City after World War II, and accelerated into the 1970s. Yet the average purity of a street dosage prior to the War was 40 times the concentration of a 1960s dose.

Research at the Jefferson Medical Center in Philadelphia in the 1920s showed that addicts could tolerate up to a ninefold increase in the concentration of their standard, already large, dose. These researchers estimated that a toxic dose of heroin would be at least 500 milligrams for nonusers and 1800 milligrams for addicts.

In the 1960s, New York City Medical Examiners Drs. Milton Helpern and Michael Baden studied heroin addict deaths. Heroin found near dead addicts was not unusually pure and their body tissues did not show especially high concentrations of the drug. Although the addicts typically shot up in groups, only one addict at a time died. Furthermore, the dead addicts were experienced rather than novice users and therefore should have built up tolerance to large doses of heroin.

The best guess as to what was killing these addicts (aside from general infection, illness, and malnutrition) were the impurities in the drug, such as quinine, which produced adverse reactions in some injectors. A related likelihood which is more evident today is the mixture of drugs, or of drugs and alcohol.

Street lore among heroin addicts typically eschewed drinking alcohol with heroin as a potentially deadly combination. Today, drug cocktails as well as drinking while shooting up are common. The majority of drug deaths in an Australian study, conducted by the National Alcohol and Drug Research Centre, involved heroin in combination with either alcohol (40 percent) or tranquilizers (30 percent).

If it is not pure drugs that kill, but impure drugs and the mixture of drugs, then the myth of the heroin overdose can be dangerous. If users had a guaranteed pure supply of heroin which they relied on, there would be little more likelihood of toxic doses than occur with narcotics administered in a hospital.

But when people take whatever they can off the street, they have no way of knowing how the drug is adulterated. And when they decide to augment heroin's effects, possibly because they do not want to take too much heroin, they may place themselves in the greatest danger.

Plano, Texas is a well-heeled Dallas suburb. For some time, we have been reading about dramatic heroin overdose statistics in Plano — 20 overdoses (17 deadly) since September 1994. In July 1998, twenty-nine people were charged with smuggling and selling heroin and cocaine that led to four fatal overdoses.

But the deaths should not be labeled overdose. Milan Malina, 20, died of pneumonia and inhaling his own vomit. Wesley Scott, 19, died at a party after inhaling his own vomit. Rob Hill, 19, was found dead in his own vomit by his parents after a party. Death by asphyxiation in one's vomit is common among people who mix alcohol with drugs, which often occurs at parties. Alcohol is more likely to cause people to puke, while additional drugs make the intoxicated individuals less able to stir themselves awake.

Strathclyde, Scotland is at the opposite end of the socioeconomic spectrum from Plano. By the end of July 1998, 54 overdose deaths had been reported in Strathclyde. As in Plano, the availability of high-purity heroin had been blamed for the epidemic. But, according to Dr. Laurence Gruer, addictions coordinator for the Greater Glasgow Health Board, "It is actually rare to find someone has died taking heroin alone — it has almost inevitably been taken as part of a cocktail with [tranquilizers] Temazepam or Valium."

Public officials can generally say any bad thing they want about illegal drugs. And they feel no doubt that labeling deaths as overdoses should scare most young people away from drugs. But this message may not have the desired effect. And its unintended consequences can be deadly. As the Australian National Research Centre made clear: "Both heroin users and service providers need to be disabused of the myth that heroin overdoses are solely, or even mainly, attributable to fluctuations in heroin purity."
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline clitoritis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 02:33:48 PM »
[EDITED Sunday, August 29, 2010]
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 11:01:08 AM by clitoritis »

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 06:39:48 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
Want to stop heroin from killing people?  legalize it.

http://www.peele.net/lib/heroinoverdose.html

DPFT News (Drug Policy Forum of Texas), August, 1999, p. 5
© Copyright 1998 Stanton Peele. All rights reserved.
The Persistent, Dangerous Myth of Heroin Overdose

Stanton Peele

People rarely die from heroin overdoses — meaning pure concentrations of the drug which simply overwhelm the body's responses. What, then, are we to make of frequent reports of heroin overdoses from Plano, Texas and Strathclyde, Scotland? People do die while consuming heroin — but the overdose myth may actually make such deaths more, rather than less, likely.

The first popular source to tell us about the myth of heroin overdose was the classic 1972 Consumer Union Report, Licit & Illicit Drugs, written by Edward M. Brecher. Brecher pointed out that, when street doses of heroin were far purer than they are today (China Cat and black-tar heroin scares notwithstanding), drug overdoses were practically unknown.

Brecher noted that heroin overdoses began to be reported in New York City after World War II, and accelerated into the 1970s. Yet the average purity of a street dosage prior to the War was 40 times the concentration of a 1960s dose.

Research at the Jefferson Medical Center in Philadelphia in the 1920s showed that addicts could tolerate up to a ninefold increase in the concentration of their standard, already large, dose. These researchers estimated that a toxic dose of heroin would be at least 500 milligrams for nonusers and 1800 milligrams for addicts.

In the 1960s, New York City Medical Examiners Drs. Milton Helpern and Michael Baden studied heroin addict deaths. Heroin found near dead addicts was not unusually pure and their body tissues did not show especially high concentrations of the drug. Although the addicts typically shot up in groups, only one addict at a time died. Furthermore, the dead addicts were experienced rather than novice users and therefore should have built up tolerance to large doses of heroin.

The best guess as to what was killing these addicts (aside from general infection, illness, and malnutrition) were the impurities in the drug, such as quinine, which produced adverse reactions in some injectors. A related likelihood which is more evident today is the mixture of drugs, or of drugs and alcohol.

Street lore among heroin addicts typically eschewed drinking alcohol with heroin as a potentially deadly combination. Today, drug cocktails as well as drinking while shooting up are common. The majority of drug deaths in an Australian study, conducted by the National Alcohol and Drug Research Centre, involved heroin in combination with either alcohol (40 percent) or tranquilizers (30 percent).

If it is not pure drugs that kill, but impure drugs and the mixture of drugs, then the myth of the heroin overdose can be dangerous. If users had a guaranteed pure supply of heroin which they relied on, there would be little more likelihood of toxic doses than occur with narcotics administered in a hospital.

But when people take whatever they can off the street, they have no way of knowing how the drug is adulterated. And when they decide to augment heroin's effects, possibly because they do not want to take too much heroin, they may place themselves in the greatest danger.

Plano, Texas is a well-heeled Dallas suburb. For some time, we have been reading about dramatic heroin overdose statistics in Plano — 20 overdoses (17 deadly) since September 1994. In July 1998, twenty-nine people were charged with smuggling and selling heroin and cocaine that led to four fatal overdoses.

But the deaths should not be labeled overdose. Milan Malina, 20, died of pneumonia and inhaling his own vomit. Wesley Scott, 19, died at a party after inhaling his own vomit. Rob Hill, 19, was found dead in his own vomit by his parents after a party. Death by asphyxiation in one's vomit is common among people who mix alcohol with drugs, which often occurs at parties. Alcohol is more likely to cause people to puke, while additional drugs make the intoxicated individuals less able to stir themselves awake.

Strathclyde, Scotland is at the opposite end of the socioeconomic spectrum from Plano. By the end of July 1998, 54 overdose deaths had been reported in Strathclyde. As in Plano, the availability of high-purity heroin had been blamed for the epidemic. But, according to Dr. Laurence Gruer, addictions coordinator for the Greater Glasgow Health Board, "It is actually rare to find someone has died taking heroin alone — it has almost inevitably been taken as part of a cocktail with [tranquilizers] Temazepam or Valium."

Public officials can generally say any bad thing they want about illegal drugs. And they feel no doubt that labeling deaths as overdoses should scare most young people away from drugs. But this message may not have the desired effect. And its unintended consequences can be deadly. As the Australian National Research Centre made clear: "Both heroin users and service providers need to be disabused of the myth that heroin overdoses are solely, or even mainly, attributable to fluctuations in heroin purity."

I agree Psy but they won't as you know. Here in America we find it hard to hand out needles to keep the diseases down. The only place you can find them maybe is your Methadone Clinics and they are not being funded as much as they once were.

Danny