Author Topic: cultic transformation or psychologic articulation.  (Read 4486 times)

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Re: cultic transformation or psychologic articulation.
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 02:52:11 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Quote from: "capn' obvious"
and even remember the term 'cognitive dissonance'     being spoke of in group by a few.

IIRC, that came out of Newton's Rational Self Analysis crap.  Newton's?
The phrase goes back further than that:

[The book] Thought Reform and the Psychology of Totalism popularized the term "thought-terminating cliché". A thought-terminating cliché is a commonly used phrase, sometimes passing as folk wisdom, used to quell cognitive dissonance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_Re ... f_Totalism
The most famous case in the early study of cognitive dissonance was described by Leon Festinger and others in the book When Prophecy Fails.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Prophecy_Fails (1956)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 03:57:55 PM »
All the RSA/RBT gooble was brought into str8 by one George Ross, during the Morgan Yacht years.It was a huge part of Ross' schtick,prolly still is, shit goes back to Albert Ellis,Maxie Maultsby,ect.....Pre-dates str8 . A lot of the "rational recovery" stuff that Hazelden uses is based on it.
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 11:17:48 AM »
I knew it went further back than Straight, but wasn't sure who brought it into Straight.  Thanks.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

dragonfly

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 07:17:17 PM »

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 11:27:17 AM »
Quote from: "dragonfly"
You got to comprimise and buy in to some degree, just to bond with the tribe, to belong. I can't seem to believe in anything or comprimise with out a sense of being smashed open and violated...

For what it's worth, you know we're always here for you.  :peace:

Offline Sam Kinison

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 11:59:03 AM »
It was definitely "Doctor" George Ross who introduced RSA to Straight.He first wanted to teach it to the entire group,but changed on that when 1st phasers were totally unresponsive.Being certified by some organization in Kentucky to teach this "program" is what got him in the the door at Straight.Some useful concepts that will always remind me of that quack unfortunately.I remember first hearing about "cognitive dissonance" from Dr.Wayne Dyer in "Your Erroneous Zones",a book Helen"Batshit" Petermann allowed me to read on First Phase.If the certifiers of RSA instruction knew that Ross would use them to this end,would have they certified him?Who knows.

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 08:05:41 PM »
what? yellin hellen let somebody read? holy ratshit,batman :rofl:
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 10:36:18 PM »
aSam Kinison wrote;
"I remember first hearing about "cognitive dissonance" from Dr.Wayne Dyer in "Your Erroneous Zones",a book Helen"Batshit" Petermann allowed me to read on First Phase."

Isn't he that third eye whackjob that's always begging for money on PBS? What goobledy gook. he sounds like a scientologist.
?©?€~¥@

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 02:21:55 PM »
thanks Anne,

helps to know folks read these things...

I'm so used to being alone with it.  When I talk I tend to reveal my whole interior, so I pretty much isolate when I'm hurting...

There are so many abuses and horrible things in the world, much worse than straight, I guess.  But there is a naturally changing, and authentic ego going through it. Something bad happened to "me".  Not "something bad happened and the me I was , was eventually devestated completely and replaced with a plastic mask and and a tape recording...

When prisoners got out of the Communist Brainwash Camps, they pretty much knew right away they had been imprisoned and were now out.  And when you go through most abuses, they are universally recognised as bad.  Straight was so insidious,  how we had to meld with the world, but stay outside it.  Then to be having breakdowns,  I pretty quickly realized folks have no way to imagine the reality I was trying to describe.    So the truth about my sense of myself I've kept in isolation...

I know I'm not real clear now, but there are so many things hitting me now.  When the shit hits the fan I resort to a primitive emotional survival mode, which reminds me of a hyserical phaser, all dis-associated, and absolute in the wrongness of the moment.  Urgently trying to share my feelings,  for fear of being started over or confronted or of psychological desintegration...

I'll watch myself react this way and identify it as a programmed emotional response and know it's hurtful, and still be doing it...

Where are my fucking steps when I need them,  I'm forever in review, on dime therapy and writing desperate MI's...

I just can't deal with my feelings.  Sometimes I wish I had just met a nice 12 step girl and never known that my personality was artifical.  I'd rather be oblivious to my lack of integrity, and believe in something.  You got to be able to buy into some kind of comfortable picture of reality, and just leave it alone...

Always picking at it to see if it's real.  I don't trust a damn thought in my head or person alive...

You got to comprimise and buy in to some degree, just to bond with the tribe, to belong.  I can't seem to believe in anything or comprimise with out a sense of being smashed open and violated...

I'm sick of being tormented to Hell, that's what I'm sick of

//bump\

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 09:17:10 PM »
thanks Anne,

I'm so used to being alone with it.  When I talk I tend to reveal my whole interior, so I pretty much isolate when I'm hurting...

There are so many abuses and horrible things in the world, much worse than straight, I guess.  But there is a naturally changing, and authentic ego going through it. Something bad happened to "me".  Not "something bad happened and the me I was , was eventually devestated completely and replaced with a plastic mask and and a tape recording...

When prisoners got out of the Communist Brainwash Camps, they pretty much knew right away they had been imprisoned and were now out.  And when you go through most abuses, they are universally recognised as bad.  Straight was so insidious,  how we had to meld with the world, but stay outside it.  Then to be having breakdowns,  I pretty quickly realized folks have no way to imagine the reality I was trying to describe.    So the truth about my sense of myself I've kept in isolation...

I know I'm not real clear now, but there are so many things hitting me now.  When the shit hits the fan I resort to a primitive emotional survival mode, which reminds me of a hyserical phaser, all dis-associated, and absolute in the wrongness of the moment.  Urgently trying to share my feelings,  for fear of being started over or confronted or of psychological desintegration...

I'll watch myself react this way and identify it as a programmed emotional response and know it's hurtful, and still be doing it...

Where are my fucking steps when I need them,  I'm forever in review, on dime therapy and writing desperate MI's...

I just can't deal with my feelings.  Sometimes I wish I had just met a nice 12 step girl and never known that my personality was artifical.  I'd rather be oblivious to my lack of integrity, and believe in something.  You got to be able to buy into some kind of comfortable picture of reality, and just leave it alone...

Always picking at it to see if it's real.  I don't trust a damn thought in my head or person alive...

You got to comprimise and buy in to some degree, just to bond with the tribe, to belong.  I can't seem to believe in anything or comprimise with out a sense of being smashed open and violated...

This explains it better then I have heard to date. My life after......Fuck!!!!!!!
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 12:42:02 PM »

:notworthy:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa