Author Topic: Dan and Mare Krmpotich, Running Springs  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Dan and Mare Krmpotich, Running Springs
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 02:25:12 AM »
Why is it that this is hitting me so hard?  I hadn't seen Dan & Mare for almost 30 years, and yet I feel like a knife has punctured my heart.

You know why?  Because truly, they really did try to help us.  They never yelled or cursed at me.  They tried to build me up, unlike most at Cedu.

Most of the conversations I recall most vividly are between me and them.  I remember the flannel shirts that Dan used to wear, and a green nylon jacket.  I remember his well-worn hiking boots, and his wire glasses.  I remember their thick Minnesota accents.

Mare, what a wonderful lady she was.  Strong, but very kind.  I admired her beautiful long hair.  I always looked forward to their evening "floor time" with us.

I am so very, very sad that Dan lost his life in a motorcycle accident.  It wasn't his fault.  

They've left behind three children, which only adds to this sad situation.

Dan and Mare, thanks for being sweet.  Thanks for the encouragement.  

God's speed to you both.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 06:57:36 AM »
Neither of them struck me as very remarkable. They both believed in all of that crap. Mare raps were not the nicest places in the world, and Dan could definitely heat things up, too. Those wilderness raps were the only really bad things about the expeditions. Still, he knew his woods, and kept us safe, so that's good.

I never knew their younger child, but Lucca was a toddler when I was there. Cute kid. Its good to know he is going to be taken care of.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 03:55:03 PM »
They had three children.  And yes, I hope they are okay, too.

Dan and Mare had just started when I was there, and they were just starting to be brainwashed.  I'm glad I missed the rest of their time at Cedu.  At least I have pleasant memories of them.

Offline RMA Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 10:56:25 PM »
Mare definitely had some lungs.  That woman was the only person at RMA who could scream and yell louder than Caroline Wolfe.  

I mainly remember her raps.  She might have known a lot about the Wilderness, but when I was at RMA, she never did any of the expeditions with us, except the Ishi.  And that took place mainly on campus anyway and was a really weird experience.  But her raps were loud, and she had so little insight of others.  Aside from making the usual RMA speeches and using the usual RMA phrases, she was probably one of the dumbest people I had met.  Everything that came out of her mouth, unless it was her area of expertise like Wilderness or nursing, was always wrong.  

Dan was generally cool, but he also liked to yell.  I can't say his Wilderness skills were top notch though.  On our Final Voyage and our Final Quest, he got lost and couldn't find his way out without help.  He might have known a lot about nature in general, but his map skills made me laugh.  I remember he couldn't find RMA even though we were on Katka and within a handful of miles...and could see the campus.  See it!  

It was terribly sad when Mare gave birth to Luka and he was just big enough to fit in the palm of a hand.  So small and fragile.  I am glad to hear he is 21 now and made it.  Back then we feared every day he wasn't going to last much longer.  

RMA changed people and Dan and Mare were not immune.  While I was there I could see the good side of them.  Dan was friendly and enjoyable when he wasn't playing staff member.  Mare jumped in a bit deeper and much sooner and had Kool-aid breath from gargling the psychobabble too much.  Two other staff who were there during my time, Brett and Lisa Carey were much the same.  All four of these people seemed to have arrived with good intentions.  I think they all really wanted to help kids.  But the system was designed to break people.  And they all broke.  Which is sad.  

I think in many ways, we can regret what happened to them as much as regretting what happened to us because of CEDU and RMA.  We didn't want to be there, they did.  We got to leave, wanted to leave and were able to survive by leaving.  They stayed, their goodness was broken and eaten away by a system designed to do that, and they stayed...becoming part of the system.  CEDU was like the Borg.  Resistance was futile.  

Sorry to hear Dan passed away.  All my love to Mare and her children.