Author Topic: What politician did Mel Wasserman / CEDU bribe?  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What politician did Mel Wasserman / CEDU bribe?
« on: August 14, 2009, 03:19:35 AM »
What politician did Mel Wasserman / CEDU bribe?

Who was paid off to ignore the complaints of torture, kidnap, unlawful imprisonment, brainwashing, fraud that were submitted year, after year, after year to law enforcement?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Re: What politician did Mel Wasserman / CEDU bribe?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 06:18:26 AM »
I do not think that he paid / bribed anyone.

In every culture - even mine here in Denmark - troubled teens are of little concern. As ordinary citizens without personal knowledge to the invididual teen, we just notice the vandalism and the violence. Because we are struggling with everyday issues on our own like paying taxes, getting food on the table, we cannot produce the surplus to deal with troubled kids from other familes. In a two income society, it is every family on their own.

For the social workers and the local police they are a just someone, which they could bare not to see again. Money are few. The burden on our social services is nearly breaking the entire system. The jails are overcrowed and every inmate you sent to them is another person being sent to job interviews by various gangs. Jail produce harden criminals. They don't help anyone.

Then someone like Wasserman turns up and promise the families to fix their kids. The parents are happy. The police and social services are happy. Another problem gone from their table. It is time for donuts!

In the local community where they facility is located they are of course not happy with the things they do to the teens, but then they are looking in their right hand and discovers the money they are paid. Most people would choose to torment other humans if the alternative is to be unemployed and look your own children in the eyes while telling them that they have to starve.

You have Wasserman. In Denmark we have places like Atlantis and Solhaven etc. Beside facilities a lot of children are exiled to various cultures where they live with beatings etc. In the United Kingdom about 500 children disappears every year. When some of them are tracked down, they live in the middle east either as forced wives or being prepared to fight our troups in Afghanistan.

The methods are different, but they hurt the teens in the process.

So in order to stop such places the local communities have to accept that some teens are troubled and try to fix the problems inside the community instead of shipping them away. The tools are in place. Peer courts, local boot camps with open enrollment so not only troubled teens participate so focus are more on teamwork and focusing on inner strength is the answer. But the society must help families in general so they have the surplus.

When teens can have their problems fixed local, they Wasserman and everybody else are out of business.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 06:55:06 AM »
I think it was more like taking advantage of local conditions. Sandpoint Idaho isn't what I'd call a fountain of economic prosperity. Simply offering to provide the natives with jobs and so forth would be enough for most folks to say, "Heck yeah, let's kick the hell out of these druggies."

You see it enough with other small communities practically drooling over the opening of a new school. Bribes might not be exchanged, but any community who is hard up for jobs isn't likely to turn down the opening of a facility.

So it isn't a bribe persay...

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 09:39:22 AM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
I think it was more like taking advantage of local conditions. Sandpoint Idaho isn't what I'd call a fountain of economic prosperity. Simply offering to provide the natives with jobs and so forth would be enough for most folks to say, "Heck yeah, let's kick the hell out of these druggies."

You see it enough with other small communities practically drooling over the opening of a new school. Bribes might not be exchanged, but any community who is hard up for jobs isn't likely to turn down the opening of a facility.

So it isn't a bribe persay...

Well, the real story is how it all unfolded in California. Probably the most interesting segments of Liam's film is the footage of the old-school staff interview. They basically started out like any cult or commune. The kids would collect scrap and take junk donations, and then sell it at some makeshift stand in town to help raise money for the school. Need some pipe or an O ring? Just go down the block and see if one of them nice CEDU kids is selling some.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 12:54:30 AM »
Anyone know of any orgs. or politicians he paid off, though?

Its reasonably likely that there was corruption present--how else could the police ignore all the complaints of kidnap, imprisonment and torture that they received? ("I'm sure they 'could', but feel it's likely they were pressured)

thank you

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 02:00:17 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Its reasonably likely that there was corruption present--how else could the police ignore all the complaints of kidnap, imprisonment and torture that they received? ("I'm sure they 'could', but feel it's likely they were pressured)

thank you

Probably the exact same way pigs ignore the abuse in any of these places. The only way you're gonna get raided is if you're in Mexico, it seems, and those cops are corrupt as all hell. Despite this, they still raided a few places.

Fact is, Mel took in the folks that nobody really gave a shit about. At first, it was the junkie/hippie adults, a lot of whom were homeless. Then it was bratty rich kids. Regardless of the truth of the matter, any legal action is dictated by outside perception. I doubt he ever had to grease any palms, because really, who cares? Not only that, they really gave a jump start to the local economy.

From what ive seen, most bribing has come in the form of cronyism and political maneuverings from other programs, like the Utah and Florida family of schools. This, IMO, is because the owners of these schools wanted more than simply the right to operate, especially because they already had that. They also wanted a foot in government.

I doubt Mel ever wanted that. He came from Synanon, and despite the cult's initial cooperation with authorities who wanted to model their tough love approach, Diederich held no love for The Man, or their system. They rejected the outside world, its mechanisms and teachings, because that is traditionally the cult model. Those squares just don't understand, man.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 12:40:31 AM »
It is unlikely anyone was bribed. This industry is like any other that makes a profit. All that is really needed is a little positive maketing. It is also remarkably sophisticated in it's ability to tap into whatever the Zietgest is. In the 60's synanon took the counter culture idea of living in a community and marketed itself that way. Wasserman saw it's material success and replicated it. Nobody at the time questioned what was happening in these communities as they were so new. Then in the 70s when they either fell apart or morphed into cults he called it a boarding school for troubled kids. As military schools had served this purpose in America for decades the concept was not so far from the mainstream to cause any alarm.
Then came a conservative backlash against 60s counter culture. This was a perfect background for tough love. Let the little bastards complain now but thell thank you one day when they are upstanding citizens....
As soon as this began to really be questioned the environmental movement began to grow. Soon nature was seen as some sort of "healer". A perfect background for wilderness programs. Couple this with the Oprah "live your bet life" revival of 70s human development crap & any doubts that were beginning to grow about this industry are put to rest.

Combine all of these things with bible belt christianity  & there will always be a reason to make it seem like this industry is helpful. he only thing that has ben a double edged sword for the industry is the internet. Because we now live in an age where a parisian has access to a small town utah paper, or where you google the name of a dodgy program & some critical site is likely to come up amongst the testimonials.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 01:03:03 PM »
Be that as it may, the fact is young adults begged the local police located in 3 different states for deliverance from CEDU which they reported  abducted, imprisoned and tortured them.

The fact remains that young adults were abducted from points all around the country, and the law enforcement officers who witnessed this crime, nation wide, did not intervene.

Where did this protocol to not intervene come from? Who issued this protocol?

Any ideas?
thank you.--and I'm not discounting your points either about how it could have happened without bribery---I just don't see that as likely.

Some officer must have asked what to do when they witness a kidnapping, and the command not to do anything must have come from somewhere. Where? Who? And in return for how much $?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 10:21:01 PM »
Be that as it may, the fact is young adults begged the local police located in 3 different states for deliverance from CEDU which they reported  abducted, imprisoned and tortured them.

The fact remains that young adults were abducted from points all around the country, and the law enforcement officers who witnessed this crime, nation wide, did not intervene.

Where did this protocol to not intervene come from? Who issued this protocol?

Any ideas?
thank you.--and I'm not discounting your points either about how it could have happened without bribery---I just don't see that as likely.

Some officer must have asked what to do when they witness a kidnapping, and the command not to do anything must have come from somewhere. Where? Who? And in return for how much $?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
bumpitw

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 01:46:00 AM »
:bump:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 09:27:18 AM »
b :bump:

Offline RMA Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 12:37:31 AM »
Anyone know of any orgs. or politicians he paid off, though?

thank you

One thing I know was a problem for some teens when caught by the police after running away, was that the program was so bizarre and abnormal, using so much cult language and not plain English, that it was next to impossible to describe in terms a cop could readily understand just what was going on at the schools that made the teen run away.  

I am sure many of us have had a lot of trouble over the years explaining to loved ones, family members and friends just what the hell we did in one of these places.  I know some of the programs changed a bit over the years, usually as one director left and was replaced with another who would then want to implement their own unique ideas and footprint.  However the people who worked under Mel Wasserman all went off and formed their own teen prison camps and because they learned from Mel who in turn learned from Synanon, EST, LifeSpring... The programs didn't grow from new seeds but came from the source these people knew, which were cult-like or full-on cult origins.  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree is an apt description.  And because a cult is so hard to describe, cops who tried to listen to runaway teens describe these places could grasp it anymore than anyone else would.

Whether it was RMA up in Idaho or CEDU down in California, runaway teens were brought back again and again because cops and juvenile hall staff couldn't be given clear and concise descriptions of abuse because even the teen who had been in the program was not capable of describing it.  That's how bizarre these places are.  But I do know that eventually even the Sheriff up in Bonners Ferrry started to question why such a large number were running away.  He might not have known the reasons, but the numbers alone spoke for themselves.  

I once worked in a direct care facility for autistic children.  A couple of staff members physically assaulted a nine year old patient and I reported it.  The police arrived and interviewed the boy.  He was autistic and could not verbally communicate in any way.  The police didn't know what to do, so they ignored it.  Unless the child could explain what happened, they had to assume nothing happened.  I was then fired for bringing negative attention to the company even though I was mandated by Federal law to report all perceptions of abuse for investigation.  

And as for Mel bribing people?  He certainly hooked up with a lot of celebrities.  A word or two from one of them could remove heat.  And where people mentioned the local communities enjoying economic incentives, another was the purchase of "stuff" from the locals.  I know at RMA all of our clothes (because many of us did not live in a mountain, cold weather environment back home) for winter, skis, tents, backpacks, boots, work gloves, bedding, toiletries, everything, was pretty much purchased through the businesses in Bonners Ferry.  Even mail-order stuff arrived at a business in town.  Bonners Ferry was also a town of only 1,200 people.  Assuming only half were adults and the rest children, that means the 15 to 20 locals RMA employed represented 2.5 to 3% of the town.  That's a pretty large chunk.  Imagine a company in Los Angeles employing 15,000 people.  Nobody would be quick to put them out of business.  And the 120 students there represented 10% of the town population, all needing dentists, doctors, entertainment.  It all adds up.  Bribes might not have been needed.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 03:10:31 AM »
I once worked in a direct care facility for autistic children. A couple of staff members physically assaulted a nine year old patient and I reported it. The police arrived and interviewed the boy. He was autistic and could not verbally communicate in any way. The police didn't know what to do, so they ignored it. Unless the child could explain what happened, they had to assume nothing happened. I was then fired for bringing negative attention to the company even though I was mandated by Federal law to report all perceptions of abuse for investigation.

You are a better man than I am.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 07:43:21 PM »
:bump: