Author Topic: Motivating  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
Motivating
« on: April 08, 2009, 04:16:25 PM »
I was looking through some of the old post here and thinking about what people would think if they would see a grown man flapping his arms wildly like a chicken.

Just to set the scene, I work in a busy technical support call center where it is a basic cubicle city.

As a group of other techs walked past my cube to the lab I began my controlled experiment. I started flapping my arms wildly with my leg locked around the leg of the chair I was sitting in.

Much to my dismay the manager of the department was only a few steps behing the techs. When he saw me he started worrying that I was having a seizure. But as he approached me I stopped and began to laugh at myself as I was embarrassed. I told him I was getting prepared for the MOSH PIT.

"Sure" I bet he said to himself.

I just wonder if they are now going to call me into the HR office and have me submit a drug test.

::OMG::
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Re: Motivating
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 03:18:25 AM »
Interesting sociological test there.

You'll have to forgive me if I don't try it with "running your anger". Although, depending on what parts of town I do it in, it might seem totally normal.  :seg:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 04:13:54 PM »
Off topic, but....

I heard that shaking someone repeatedly while trying to indoctrinate them with new information/ideas/beliefs makes it more effective.  Something about killing brain cells by shaking the head back and forth makes people more susceptible to 'brainwashing'.  The person who told me this information said it was from government experiments.  When I heard this, I immediately thought of motivating, and how much shaking of heads is involved.  

Has anyone else heard this, or know where to get results of these 'studies'?  I found it to be very interesting... taken with a grain of salt until that fact is verified.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 04:38:06 PM »
Hm, I dunno. But I've wondered about something maybe related. In horror movies a common technique to add to the freak out effect is to show somebody (or something) shaking it's head really fast, like blurred, like preternatural speed. Ever wonder why that's so effective? Might be something really primal like how the sound of African bees buzzing in the background makes most people feel really anxious.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 06:26:56 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Off topic, but....

I heard that shaking someone repeatedly while trying to indoctrinate them with new information/ideas/beliefs makes it more effective.  Something about killing brain cells by shaking the head back and forth makes people more susceptible to 'brainwashing'.  The person who told me this information said it was from government experiments.  When I heard this, I immediately thought of motivating, and how much shaking of heads is involved.  

Has anyone else heard this, or know where to get results of these 'studies'?  I found it to be very interesting... taken with a grain of salt until that fact is verified.

I would take that with a grain of salt.  The only shaking i've ever heard of was done by Mossad to get information out of prisoners (i.e. more torture, less brainwashing).
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 07:27:09 AM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Off topic, but....

Should you shake an infants head like that, it's called "Shaken Baby Syndrom". The results as not unlike placing 4 eggs in a quart jar, shake it vigiouriously and soon you have an ommlete, if not scrambled (shells imcluded). The brain itself swells and soon after the baby dies. And then the "shaker" gets 1st if not 2nd degree murder charges.

But I guess, once the infant reaches a certain age, the brain is more protected and hense less damage. That is the infant doesnt die, but here in after the child suffers OBS (Organic Brain Syndrom). There seems to be a small time period that the childs head could be shaken without any physiological damage, but psycological damage...ya simply scare the shiznit out of the young'un.

Since that is almost universally considered wrong and damaging to the child, somewhere along the line a Peterson, a Sembler, a Crock, a Hemminger, a Ross....somebody developed the idea of having the child shake thenselves, the harder the better. Seems that the Rotater Cuff in the shoulder doesnt show damage untill much latter, which manifests as Frozen Shoulder Syndrom, making it difficult to comb ones own hair, reach for a bill fold or unable to clasp a bra behind ones back. Microsopic tears in the ligiment structure over time develop Dense Fibrious Connective Tissue or simply Scar Tissue which inhibits ones range of motion.

In my day is was comon practice to snap ones fingers whilst "motivating". The one day it came down from powers that be; Snapping of the fingers at such velocity  was damaging (kinda like cracking your own knuckels), so that practice was frowned upon.....but still tolerated. If "snapping of the fingers" was discouraged and seen as potentialy harmfull, would it not make sense that violently shaking ones own body to be recognized as just as dangerious? I can not recall how many times I have seen rows of chairs slung in all directions as people "motivated'. And as folks returned to thier seats...they had moved and they would land flat on thier buttocks.

People got wise to this embarassing scenrio and held on to the back of thier chairs or seats and wrapped a leg around the bottom of thier seat/chair or pew. When one person was chosen to speak, there would be a sudden crash as people violently landed in thier seats. What this did was slowly degrade the structrual integrity of the seat and you guessed it....plow, the chair would suddenly collapse sending it's occupant to the floor, increasing the likelyhood of damaging the coccyx (tailbone).

The wooden pews created another problem, splintering of the wood...which of course gave a whole new circumstance. People would begin to self mutilate by using the shards of shattered lamanet from the pews and carve on themselves as a means of escaping the monotinious incarceration inside a sweltering warehouse in the dead heat of August.

The Moral to the story? Never, Ever shake a baby. Never ever allow oneself to be pressured into flopping like a pin fish on a pier for prolonged periods of time. And if there is pressure to do so, make efforts to flail and when ya got a good shot at a staff member, clip um in the throat....takes the wind out of thier sails evertime. And its justified, ya were just motivating, think of it as collateral damage.

Psy says..."more torture, less brainwashing"....I find this troubling in this regard, rather oxymoronic. I see it as  having to be brainwashed (even if partialy) to torture oneself in such a manner. In hind sight, I do recall that "motavating" was used increasingly when the staff was losing control of the group. The mob mentality of the group seemed to be that if we did not comply with this call to motavate, we were required to motavate for longer periods of time. In a short period of time the pain would be overwhelming and the endorphines would kick in and so the group seemed to be in more control and more mangable.

Shit in 1st and 2nd grade I learned to quietly and patiently raise my hand, wait my turn, and I would be recognized. I quess incarceration means all other conventional forms of civilized behavior went out the warehouse doors.

It was wrong wrong wrong....SICK SICK SICK

Much Healing To You All
woof
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 10:27:30 AM »
Quote from: "Woof-A-Doof"
(1)  Seems that the Rotater Cuff in the shoulder doesnt show damage untill much latter, which manifests as Frozen Shoulder Syndrom, making it difficult to comb ones own hair, reach for a bill fold or unable to clasp a bra behind ones back. Microsopic tears in the ligiment structure over time develop Dense Fibrious Connective Tissue or simply Scar Tissue which inhibits ones range of motion.

(2) In my day is was comon practice to snap ones fingers whilst "motivating". The one day it came down from powers that be; Snapping of the fingers at such velocity  was damaging (kinda like cracking your own knuckels), so that practice was frowned upon.....but still tolerated. If "snapping of the fingers" was discouraged and seen as potentialy harmfull, would it not make sense that violently shaking ones own body to be recognized as just as dangerious?

(3) I can not recall how many times I have seen rows of chairs slung in all directions as people "motivated'. And as folks returned to thier seats...they had moved and they would land flat on thier buttocks.

(4) People got wise to this embarassing scenrio and held on to the back of thier chairs or seats and wrapped a leg around the bottom of thier seat/chair or pew.

(5) I do recall that "motavating" was used increasingly when the staff was losing control of the group. The mob mentality of the group seemed to be that if we did not comply with this call to motavate, we were required to motavate for longer periods of time. In a short period of time the pain would be overwhelming and the endorphines would kick in and so the group seemed to be in more control and more mangable.

Woof... You have some very interesting points here especially regarding the whole roator cuff injury. I think I want to start a poll to see how many of us have actually had to have surgery on their shoulders, because I know I did.

It's amazing at all of the stuff I had forgotten regarding the bust ass motivating.

Botched