Author Topic: 20/20 Seeks WWASP people  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
20/20 Seeks WWASP people
« on: June 25, 2003, 10:22:00 PM »
Date:   Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:55:40 EDT
Subject:   Re: WWASP/ 20 20

20/20 is going to do a piece on WWASP. Contact Denise at the above email address if you would like to tell your story. Don't delay.
Deborah

We need real people and real numbers.
They are under reporting the number of children who died while in their care..
Or any of the abuse that happened, anu and all abuse/death information would really help at this point.
I will try to get to the message boards soon.  Any info that can be sent right to me will help me out.
We are still having all kinds of nightmare problems with the case in FL.
If you would like to post this for me on the forum this would also help me out.

I want so much to help in this subject and this area, and we have a major media door standing wide open waiting to know this.
Thanks again  Denise

[ This Message was edited by: Deborah on 2003-06-25 19:31 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Carey

• View Profile
20/20 Seeks WWASP people
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 10:27:00 PM »
Why is the email address that you are posting not and abc.com address?

The producers of 20/20 have email addresses as such:   [email protected]

What case in Florida?

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
20/20 Seeks WWASP people
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2003, 10:39:00 PM »
Good questions, sorry I didn't elaborate, rushed.
She is the contact not the journalist. I think they approached her about this. I haven't met her face-to-face, but we've been interacting in cyberspace for a number of years.

Sorry, I do not know about the "case in Fl". I think I remember her mentioning it in another email, but I have forgotten the details...too many irons in the fire right now.

But she is legitimate. Most of her activism, and how I know her is through working to seperate psychiatry and education. The drugging of our children for a fraudulent "diagnosis". BTW, there is no scientfic data to support that ADD exists and/or is a disease. Great gains were just made in Tx. Two bills were passed that will prevent teachers and staff from "practicing without a license"....diagnosing and referring kids for drugs. Parents will no longer risk loosing their children for "medical neglect" if they refuse to go the psych route.

The topic of WWASP came up on our listserve [email protected]. I offered to assist her.
Deborah

[ This Message was edited by: Deborah on 2003-06-25 19:41 ]
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Carey

• View Profile
20/20 Seeks WWASP people
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2003, 11:44:00 PM »
Sorry Deborah, but I think she should post the contact information for the producer at 20/20.  I do not think people should have to go through a third party.  If 20/20 is interested they will take people's stories first hand.  They will understand why this is important and necessary.

Carey

Offline spots

• View Profile
20/20 Seeks WWASP people
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2003, 01:03:00 AM »
20/20 is preparing a segment for the fall season.  David Puente is the producer.  He can be reached at abcnews.com.  He has quite a bit of information already, but I imagine a succint note with your personal story would be fine.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
20/20 Seeks WWASP people
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2003, 07:42:00 AM »
Carey,
If you don't want to go through Denise, that is fine. Contact them directly, Spots provided the producers name. But I think your voice particularly needs to be heard. They are also interested to know how many deaths have occured. Denise said 20/20 knows of 4 and they are all listed as suicides. If anyone has an contrary information it would be helpful.
Below is the response Denise got from 20/20
regarding the focus of the program:

In response to your emails, we are focused on the WWASP programs "especially Dundee which closed down in Costa Rica" as well as other WWASP facilities that are currently under scrutiny.  

If you come across any other information on WWASP that would be great

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
20/20 Seeks WWASP people
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2003, 08:38:00 AM »
Anyone wishing to contact 20-20 can do so using their toll-free ******* This will connect you with ABC/NY, and then ****** of 20-20. My understanding is that they have about two more weeks of prep time before they's like to move on this story.

Note:
* I have edited out the contact info at the request of the person to whom it belongs. Please feel free to contact me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
20/20 Seeks WWASP people
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2003, 10:46:00 AM »
I read in one of the news paper articles that the President of WWASPS had an "exclusive" agreement with a television newsmagazine to tell their side of the story.  Is it ABC 20/20?

Offline spots

• View Profile
20/20 Seeks WWASP people
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2003, 01:29:00 PM »
I wouldn't worry about Ken Kay talking to 20/20.  This reference to "an exclusive TV program to tell WWASP's side of the story" was Kay's answer to NY Times asking for comment on their TB piece.  Gosh, sounds typical for WWASP, especially when they won't let any reporter or even government official into the lower level areas so as not to "disturb" the students.

I was asked recently if I had only 20 words, what would I object to most in WWASP.  Uuhhhmmm....secrecy and isolation.  I live in the Northern California town where two cardiac surgeons were accused of faking, ..er, "overestimating"...the numbers of heart surgeries required of patients in their hospital. A very lucrative specialty, the local Tenet hospital even advertised itself on TV as #1 in the state in such procedures.  These 2 doctors were liked and respected by a lot of the hospital staff, but they stonewalled big-time and refused to offer comment or "the other side of the story", even as the area newspapers tried to present an unbiased story.  The upshot of all this secrecy was that both doctors no longer practice (one was suspended, the other quit his practice because he could no longer get malpractice insurance).  Tenet Health Care's stock took a 60%+ nosedive, and the company is scampering to answer regulators' questions. Couldn't happen to a nicer corporation.

Exposure, exposure, exposure...just get it out there.  You wonder how their recruitments are going, if even a cursory Google search brings up tons of horrors.  There are presently only about 2200 people on the planet who are dense enough to "overlook" some dissing and send their kids off to such facilities.  Read The Source, the official WWASP magazine, on the wwasp.com site.  It's so sappy and fake (no kids I know talk like that!) that one wonders about the gullability of parents.  Each article is purported to be written by a kid or parent, along with the facility and date of enrollment.  Most are long-timers, 2 years or so, and very few are graduates (the majority still in WWASP facilities).  This month's issue had an article "written" by 2 boys at Cross Creek who got taken on a hike into Zion by their "therapist".  Turns out, just 4 boys went, all old-timers, and it was a day-hike just down the road from CCM. It was "a memory that I will never forget and probably an experience I will never have again", even though part of it was the therapist sitting the kids down in solitude so they could "think(ing) of my past and things leading up to the present".  After 2 years, they still have to dwell on being little shits when they were younger?  Wow...one short memorable day, when a "normal" teen experience would include hundreds of remarkable days in the 725 days of these boys' incarceration.  

Keep the story in the press, call your local papers and ask that they print the AP or NYT feed, challenge the WWASP Party Line in forums like this one, share your information with anyone you can think of.  Don't quit.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
20/20 Seeks WWASP people
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2003, 02:05:00 PM »
Thanks for deleting the contact info. I just heard from Denise and 20/20 is overwhelmed with email. A good sign !! Could be why they preferred to have one contact. I don't know, just presuming.
Deborah

Note:
* I have edited out the contact info at the request of the person to whom it belongs. Please feel free to contact me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
20/20 Seeks WWASP people
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2003, 04:50:00 PM »
FYI, A response from Denise as to why one might go through her.
Deborah

If they are able to get their information through and they are content with the response and interest level that they have received then they would not need my help. My only concern is of their stories getting lost in the flood of contact that ABC gets.

If any do have problems and they feel they need help, let me know, and I can make sure that they get through.

Most of my work is in media, publishing, and being a voice for children of abuse in all injustice situations. I know that Media is the only way to bring about effectual change. This is always what is needed in each and every case.
I will be here if you have any questions.
Denise

Offline spots

• View Profile
20/20 Seeks WWASP people
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2003, 05:16:00 PM »
I'm ambivalent about going through Denise, but I may give it a try.  My story was forwarded to David Puente by both Chris Goodwin and Bruce Harris.  I have not heard anything from 20/20.  I would be happy with just an acknowldegement that they received the emails.  

As to the huge volume of emails they are getting...you can guess that WWASP is beating the bushes for supporters.  Scott T, is there anything on the BBS?  I have heard that each Letter to the Editor or published item (posting on this board?) generates $50 to the originator.  

I have been having a go-round with Al Alcendua, Chief of Staff at the Tijuana office of US State Department.  One of the things he told me in a hour-long conversation was that, when he was investigating High Impact in Tecate (which was closed by the Mexican government), he was inundated with messages from parents pleading for him not to close Casa by the Sea (which he explained he had no ability to do).  The point is, he received 400...no, he revised it to 350, but suffice it to say A LOT...of messages, most highly supportive of The Program.  He *says* he discounted all but the ONE that said, "It may have harmed my child, but it also has done him some good", which is a valid statement, just a shade shy of intelligent. When I pointed out to him that WWASP had a captive troop of letter-generators (parents), he also insisted that "the other side" also was well-organized...which really we aren't.

I only hope that 20/20 recognizes this "full support campaign" from WWASP-ers, much like the body-count type of tallying that congressmen do when it's obvious a form-letter campaign is active.  If Denise can get through with a single story to refute the 50 blathers about "he'd be dead, yada, yada...", then Go Denise.     ::deal::

Offline Carey

• View Profile
20/20 Seeks WWASP people
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2003, 05:40:00 PM »
Spots,

I have been able to talk to the producer.  Email me if you want to and I will give you the contact information.
[email protected]

Offline Goddess of Justice

• View Profile
    • http://teendeathtrips.blogspot.com/
Re: 20/20 Seeks WWASP people
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 08:53:55 PM »
They should have included the entire false marketing troubled teen industry. especially the ones in the south.
For owners of such programs, we celebrate your lives being destroyed. Because you destroyed theirs...