Author Topic: I attended an open meeting this month  (Read 10132 times)

Offline pepper53190

• View Profile
    • http://queenjennifer.com
I attended an open meeting this month
« on: June 21, 2003, 10:17:00 PM »
It was my mom and I's first return to the program that changed our lives.  It was the first time since 92 that we sat through an open meetung, only this time it was in the back together watching.  It was so awesome for us.  I even got up and they sang Happy Straight Birthday to me for my 13 years.  Let me tell you what I see different.  It is so much more laid back.  They do not try to run the clients by intimidating them.  There was laughter and smiles (except from those who just got there)I spoke with the new guy who's running SAFE and he seems so open minded.  It is not the same place anymore.  I wish I could've stayed longer but I was on limited time (dinner reservations).  Please feel free to email me if you want to know more, I don't get here very often any more.  [email protected].......love you all and wishs of the peace I have found.

Jennifer Aguilera
90 - 92 Orlando and Tampa
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2003, 10:44:00 PM »
If I recall correctly, thats how ALL Open Meetings were...that was the point....

Other than that, I am not touching this one with a ten foot pole.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline pepper53190

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2003, 04:14:00 AM »
but it was the whole atmosphere, even in OMR.....

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2003, 10:33:00 AM »
Funny, for 10 years, my mom and I attended open meetings. And for the entire 10 years, she described it that way. She even got noticably euphoric asif it were a religious experience. Meanwhile, my heart sunk closer to my stomach the closer we got to the building and I went into a funk. I suppose I covered it well enough, she certainly never noticed.

Not long ago, maybe a year, a couple of friends of mine attended OM at SAFE and they also described it as dripping with the same sense of desperation. That was not long after a few other friends witnessed a kid being assaulted, stuffed into a car and kidnapped.

And, as I recall, even back when WAMI ran their two short segments to which outsiders and professionals responded with shock and disgust, there you were saying essentially the same thing you're saying now. You still sound just like so many Program people back in the day when I would have chewed my foot off to get away from them.

Bureaucracy defends the status quo long past the time when the quo has lost its status
--Laurence J. Peter

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2003, 11:05:00 AM »
My peace will be found when SAFE and all the other programs like it are CLOSED. Don't think for a minute that I can't have peace otherwise, but with respect to straight and all that, a closed SAFE would be very peaceful to me.
Is that "new guy" Brian? He isn't all that new. Please clarify...

MG8 :smokin:

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2003, 12:51:00 AM »
At first I was like Carmen, and was just gonna let it pass on by, then I read further down and you had to go and strike a nerve.  Open Meeting Review is something that was invented by the Board of Directors, Helen Petermann, and Dr. George Ross following the disasterous events of the Tampa Screw-up.  Open meetings up until that point were just run by the seat of the pants and there was alot of improvisation to them.  Following the start of Open Meeting Review, the Open Meetings at the Morgan Yacht building were actually scripted and kept to a rigid time frame.
It was pure hell waiting for them to get their shit together and get it all down pat, but by late October of 1978, the meetings were pretty much over and done by 9pm on Mondays, and 10pm Fridays.  I know this sounds crazy, but it really is true if you look back on it.  The parents were getting fed up, and alot of them complained, and some, like my dad, stopped making payments.  Once they started messing with the money flow, staff got really damned serious about making Open Meetings faster, and better.  They got smarter too.  They opened up the storage area and started coffee and donuts and shit, but what the parents were not aware of was that their every move and conversations were closely monitored.  Staff would turn around and use this to their advantage.  If parents got all chummy with eachother, and their kids had contact with each other as well, it was'nt too long before someone wound up on a refresher.  More money, longer program get it?  Plus Jerks like me who went through alot of newcomers got away with murder.  Staff would have to be out of their minds to put me on a refresher, when I steadily cranked sucessful newcomers out of my house and onto 2nd phase like a factory.  When I see stuff on the History Channel about German Engineering and Nazi efficiency, I have to laugh.  Straight had them beat hands down.

[ This Message was edited by: 85 Day Jerk on 2003-06-23 13:45 ]
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2003, 09:26:00 AM »
Are you telling me that all I have to go is go there with my mom to get in? What a trip that would be. I'm not sure if I could hold it together long enough. I have no relationship with my mom either anyway though.

I was invited to a Mary Kay 'thingy' recently. It was crowded with women who looked very eager to sell something. I took one step into the main room and see rows of chairs. I had a near anxiety attack and had to leave. I have pretty severe trama issues if I can't even go to a Mary Kay meeting without hating it for thinking it was like a cult. I like Clinique anyway.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2003, 10:09:00 AM »
1978, did we have internet? Did we have a lot of things that we have today?  No, because like all things we have evolved, and I think SAFE has too. I know that there are some very painful experiences, I have had some myself.  But things aren't the same it has changed and it is still changing.I have been going to the building and attending open meetings for 4 or 5 years, it was just the first time my mom wanted to attend. I respect that you all still harbour anger and resentments, but those are things that happened years ago.  What harm would it be to may be entertain the thought that it is different. Well I guess same goes for me.....I can entertain the fact that some of you can't and won't let it go.  ok.  But I leave this forum with this....you will NEVER rid the world of programs like SAFE, you will not be the reason SAFE closes, it just won't happen.  DOn't you think they have met more agressive people like you and yes some have closed, or have they?  So good luck.

Offline pepper53190

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2003, 10:14:00 AM »
Oh that was me up there, forgot to sign my name.

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2003, 10:39:00 AM »
I know that there are some very painful experiences, I have had some myself.  But things aren't the same it has changed and it is still changing.I have been going to the building and attending open meetings for 4 or 5 years, it was just the first time my mom wanted to attend. I respect that you all still harbour anger and resentments, but those are things that happened years ago.  What harm would it be to may be entertain the thought that it is different. Well I guess same goes for me.....I can entertain the fact that some of you can't and won't let it go.  ok.  But I leave this forum with this....you will NEVER rid the world of programs like SAFE, you will not be the reason SAFE closes, it just won't happen.  DOn't you think they have met more agressive people like you and yes some have closed, or have they?  So good luck. "

Oh boy, here we go. Well, All clients of these synanon based, sembler founded, etc etc programs had pain and abuse exacted on them every single day for years in most cases! NOT some, but ALL! How you think safe is so great is beyond my comprehension.

Granted, it has changed, for the worse actually.

Last I heard, there was more staff than clients. Hardly a way to run a program eh? If I and others here and abroad have anything to do with it, safe will close as well as all the abusive centers like it across this earth.

Please don't expect people to get over the treatment they received, please. I have to stop now, I am getting sick again. DAMMIT!!!!!!  ::bangin::  ::puke::

MG8 :smokin:

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2003, 10:43:00 AM »
For as many lives as you say were saved by this cult many more were DESTROYED. For the record, I don't really see these places getting shut down ever either, because there will always be people like you willing to jump on the bandwagon, just like religious fanatics will always keep the churches full of people and money. I will never be one of them, to do so would be to surrender all of what my heart feels. I'm not going to blind myself to see. Everyone is different.

You seem like a nice person with the best intentions. I personally don't agree with you however.

They want people to walk away convinced of something good. That's the way they sell it...

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2003, 11:03:00 AM »
You know Pepper, I appreciate what you say, I just don't agree with it in totality. For what I do agree with you on, I too have attended open meeting at Safe, agree that Brian is much more open minded than his predecessor, and agree that changes have been made. However, Some of the changes are for the worse like the automatic "addict" label the kids are "encouraged" to place on themselves. This is bullshit at its very core.

And Pepper,  there they were...right there on those two tiny rows...kids in captivity full of despair and desperation singing the same old songs I sang at the seed 30 years ago, with the same feigned enthusiasm and the look of shock similar to a prisoner of war on their faces. Then there were the girls sitting  with  fake smiles and their hands out in group behavior style asking for permission to pee (and which I was informed would "cost them" because it was being done at a time other than prescribed). The kids "motivated", took the mike and spoke in words expected of them, and then the parents took their turn humiliating their kids on the Mike. and again I made the observation I made 30 years ago, that the people on the opposite side from the kids seemed to take some perverse pleasure in the captivity and helplessnes of those emotionally hurting children on the other side.

On the wall were the same slogans Art Barker originated in 1970.

Yep, changes have been made Pepper. However, you can spray all the cologne you want on a pile of shit and underneath, you still have shit.

What kind of humanism expresses its reluctance to sacrifice military casualties by devastating the civilian economy of its adversary for decades to come?  
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0684855674/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> Henry Kissinger

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2003, 11:05:00 AM »
I am a bit confused here, maybe because OMR was somethng different for some branches...as it seems to be for SAFE.  Open Meeting Review for us was the biggest, loudest, and most violent rip rap of the week.  It was always held directly after Open Meeting, no parents and usually always run by Senior Staff.  Everbody felt the same...if you made it through OMR unscathed, it was a good day...

I will never forget the seemingly tangible static energy of anxiety, fear and loathing that filled that room every Friday night before OMR. Heads were gonne roll, and you could almost "hear" the Fifth phasers chomping at the bit to do it.  They used this time to really rip up the newest kids for the first time about their mic talks and getting honest about their intake.  All of the weeks juiciest stuff was reserved for OMR, so it could be exploited to the fullest.  Didnt matter what phase you were on, and they seemed to love the idea of setting back kids w/out of town parents so that they wouldnt get to spend the weekend with them.

We also had a CMR or Closed Meeting Rap which was held the following Monday after the parent meeting.  It was a lesser version of OMR, but could be none the less horrific.  Thats what made weekends so awful sometimes.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Ms.P

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2003, 01:00:00 PM »
Wow!  Did that bring back memories!  At Growing Together we sat in church pews as did the parents, facing us.  Between us was a partition on a track that they would slide across the room at the end of Open Meeting to prevent you from getting even an extra glimpse of your families after the "show" was over.  As soon as that curtain closed it was all over.  Senior staff would be lingering around and the 5th phasers would be giving each other knowing glances and you just *knew* that something terrible was about to happen.  I remember a couple times when executive staff even stayed around to participate in the slaughtering.  This was all very strategically timed-- it was the time when there would be the most people on hand to aid in the execution, and another kick in the head was that the very people who brought you into this world were only 3 yards away eating donuts.  

I have never been on the other side of Open Meeting, but it doesn't seem fair to assume that the kids are treated in the same manner as the guests.  When is that ever the case?

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2003, 07:17:00 PM »
Let's see, in the not so distant past it was okay to whip people as a form of punishment, to place them in the stocks, to have them pilloried. Torture was a perfectly acceptable method of obtaining a confession. NONE of these things are legal in the US anymore.

Even less time in the past a standard treatment for BPD, Bi-polar, psychosis, schitzophrenia and probably ADHD was a lobotamy. Then came shock therapy as the miracle cure.

The point is, saying there will always be places like the seed, straight, safe is pure horse manure. The effectiveness of the "program" are far outweighed by the side effects. Taking someone, depriving them of their freedom and dangling basic Human Rights in front of them like a carrot until they perform like circus monkies is Monstrous. These programs are already not accepted as a mainstream treatment method for addiction. The biggest issue I have is the indivual is given no choice to say they are an addict or not. This in itself voilates the very founding principle of self-help type therapy. Telling a child that they have this "incurable disease" at what? 13, 14, 15? I believe children are sold so short on intelligence. I am certain they can identify BS when they smell it.

Well, I digress. This for of treatment will fall by the wayside and only be a footnote in some abnormal psyc text. People will read it and think to themselves, "How could they have been so stupid to believe that was helping behavior?"

CL