Author Topic: There's nuts everywhere!!!  (Read 3627 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
There's nuts everywhere!!!
« on: November 01, 2007, 12:19:08 PM »
I'm a legal secretary and work alone quite often.  My boss is a reservist with FEMA and is called up a lot.  He's been out of town for 2 months and won't be back again until the end of December.  I'm used to working on my own and really enjoy it.  I keep my office door locked at all times when my boss is out of town.  

About an hour ago someone knocked at the door.  I looked out the peephole, it could very well have been a client, they stop by unannounced all the time.  I cracked the door, at which point he forced his way in talking very fast about how he had an appointment.  He didn't.  He got in, shut the door behind him (which was still locked) and stood in front of it so I couldn't get out.  I have no other exit, I'm alone and scared shitless now.  He started yelling at me telling me he was the son of so and so and he needed a criminal defense attorney.  I look down and notice he has no shoes on.  I told him my boss didn't do criminal work (he does, but I wasn't telling him that).  Then he got really mad and said it was only petty theft, not a criminal offense (ummm, theft IS a criminal offense, but that's beside the point).  He started advancing towards me really pissed by now.  That gave me a chance to go for the door.  One of my desks is in the middle of the room so when he came around towards me one way, I went the other and opened the door, screamed for him to get out and when he came near me I put my foot on his ass and literally kicked him out, shut the door and called the attorney downstairs.   They came up, we called the police (by now the guy was hitting a bunch of other offices).

I'm getting a baby monitor and giving the base to the office next door.  Or some kind of transmitter/receiver/panic button connected to another office in the building.

I know this doesn't have to do with the TTI, but I needed to vent.  Thanks and sorry.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 12:22:44 PM »
Do you know that there are tools that are specifically meant for situations such as this?

The American constitution even has a paragraph promoting their availability and use.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 12:24:55 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Do you know that there are tools that are specifically meant for situations such as this?

The American constitution even has a paragraph promoting their availability and use.

That's why I called the attorney down the hall.  He's armed.  Heavily.  Guess I should look into it too.

correction...atty downstairs is armed.  next door, I don't know.  They usually all are.  At least around here.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 12:29:03 PM »
he doesn't need a defense attorney - he needs a program, right? - I can see it now "Man admits to recent theft and running from a program 20 years ago".

Seriously, it's great there are other people in your building - usually, if you can call another office - that will do the trick every time - the best defense is a good strong door lock and phone.

Calling 911 will work for the kooks. A can of pepper spray wouldn't hurt either.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 12:33:17 PM »
he doesn't need a defense attorney - he needs a program, right? - I can see it now "Man admits to recent theft and running from a program 20 years ago".

:rofl:

Seriously, it's great there are other people in your building - usually, if you can call another office - that will do the trick every time - the best defense is a good strong door lock and phone.

Calling 911 will work for the kooks. A can of pepper spray wouldn't hurt either.

Locks work if you don't open the damn door!   :silly:   Hell, he could have been a client though.  No more opening the door unless I really know them or they have an appointment.  I'm the only one that makes them so they can't say they made one with someone else.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 01:58:40 PM »
Seriously, something worse could have happened.  You should keep the door locked when you are alone and your boss is away, and put on a sign on the door:
    "BY APPOINTMENT ONLY"
Then kooks like won't even try (hopefully).
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 02:55:13 PM »

a can of pepper spray used indoors can cause alot of collateral damage. it can drift in the air and affect everyone else, and you'll have pepper or mace residue all over everything. i remember a month ago some idiot woman had the bright idea of unleashing a can of mace on some guy harrasing her on the subway platform. the entire station had to be evacuated because everyone was affected, and it had to be closed down for the rest of the day, with trains skipping the station.

there are a few solutions far more practical than anything else suggested so far. get a taser. no human being can resist a taser. you can even get the kind cops have, it can take someone down 5 yards away and penetrate thick jackets.
check out http://www.taser.com/products/consumers/Pages/C2.aspx  

you can also scream at the top of your lungs.

or keep a baseball bat/crowbar/random big heavy stick around.
or a big machete. most people - no matter how tough they are- wont mess with you if you have a machete in your hand. they'd figure if you're crazy enough to keep a machete behind your desk, you're probably crazy enough to use it on them.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 06:44:07 PM »
Get a belly gun.

A short barreled revolver. Get a .357 but load .38 special (.357 firearms can chamber them) and fire them to get used to it, then move up to .38+P, then full .357.

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO  :silly:

Then if he gives you shit pull out the hand cannon and tell him to get lost. We have the right to take our safety into our own hands instead of depending on others and deterrents like mace or tazers that ultimately can't work by them self (YOU have to follow up on them or get away) so we should damn well use them.

Personally I wonder if the stand your ground law applies to use of knives as well  :roll:  anyone know?
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 06:53:33 PM »
You  people just amaze me.  Dont allow other people to change who you are or make you feel unsafe.  Why put up with all that crap?  Why live that way?  You should move to a better neighborhood / get a different job and be done with it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 06:58:47 PM »
So you're effectively telling Anne to be scared off by the criminal element?

Yeah Who, that's an awesome way to go about life.

Why don't you apply the same logic to the people HERE who make you feel unsafe?

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 07:08:54 PM »
So you're effectively telling Anne to be scared off by the criminal element?

Yeah Who, that's an awesome way to go about life.

Why don't you apply the same logic to the people HERE who make you feel unsafe?

If I felt unsafe here or anywhere else or felt my family was in danger I wouldn’t buy machetes and hand guns I would move my family out of harms way.  I just choose not to live that way or in that environment.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 07:12:51 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 07:15:35 PM »

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  ::bwahaha::  ::bwahaha::  ::bwahaha2::  :nworthy:  ::rocker::  ::rocker:: ::bigmouth::  ::bigmouth::  ::ftard::  ::stab::  ::both::  ::bigsmilebounce::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 08:17:08 PM »
Quote from: ""TheWho""
You  people just amaze me.  Dont allow other people to change who you are or make you feel unsafe.  Why put up with all that crap?  Why live that way?  You should move to a better neighborhood / get a different job and be done with it....

Spoken like a sterotypical, well-to-do yuppie. Just move to a "better neighborhood". Many don't have that luxury, so they work with what they've got. Find other ways to stay safe. But, what would you know about that?
Maybe all the people living in unsafe environments could move to your neighborhood. How many million might you be able to squeeze in?
Idiot.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 08:36:22 PM »
Everybody has access to the same luxury, just depends on your priorities.  There is this girl down near my in-laws (which is a nice neighborhood) who gave up her house in a less safe neighborhood to move here.  She has a condominium unit and her kid gets to attend a dam good school for the tax money.

People in the unsafe neighborhoods choose to live there and tough it out, buy guns and knives to protect themselves.  Others don’t want that for their families and move to a better area.  They may have to go back to school, learn a trade etc. to increase their pay.  But anyone can live pretty much anywhere they want.