Author Topic: Rob Schuller  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Rob Schuller
« on: October 13, 2007, 07:17:53 AM »
Hmmm... I am sure that there is a rational explanation for this, but the esteemed Mr. Schuller contacted me earlier this year through this forum, inquiring as to the actual dates of my enrollment and my identity, claiming to be working in radio and TV.  Perhaps by that time he was no longer working at Hyde, and had resumed employment at WCRB?

This from the Alumni Newsletter, Fall 2003.  PDF download link states that it is 2004, but that title is incorrect.  Pic on the download, in case you are interested.

=======================================

A Born Jingler

Rob Schuller '78, Hyde-Woodstock's director of development, recalls that when he entered SUNYCortland in 1978, having graduated from Hyde-Bath the previous spring, his major was vocal performance because he had hopes of becoming a jingle singer for television and radio. However, he recalled a suggestion made by Hyde faculty member John Chesterton, that Rob should get into radio as he possessed the perfect voice for that medium. Soon after, Rob joined his college's radio station as an announcer. The following year, he worked at a nearby commercial radio station and, thus, his first career—as a radio broadcaster—was born.

While he was waiting for SUNYCortland to institute a radio/television major, Rob took a semester off to work for Hyde in 1982. He and fellow alumnus, Scott Bertschy, worked with Hyde's admissions office, touring America to visit with educational consultants to share their experience at Hyde. (Interestingly, Scott stayed on and became director of alumni affairs, thus launching his successful 20 year career in that field.) Following his Hyde admissions adventure, Rob transferred to Pepperdine University in Southern California, to major in radio and television production.  

While at Pepperdine, Rob worked as an intern in the promo and marketing department for CBS' Television City. But when employment with the program Hill Street Blues was suddenly closed to him because the producers instead hired a number of people emigrating from the just-cancelled Mary Tyler Moore comeback vehicle, Mary, Rob decided to head east again. He moved to Boston and spent the next 18 years working briefly in video production and then, for many years, as a producer of radio commercials. He was employed alternately at a smooth jazz station (WCDJ-FM), sports radio (WEEI-AM), and a classical music station (WCRB).

A little less than two years ago, Rob received a job offer from Hyde-Woodstock. At Ken Grant's suggestion, it was believed that Rob would be an ideal candidate to take over the newly created position of director of development for the Woodstock campus. Rob had always remained connected to Hyde—whether as a class agent, through involvement with reunions, or the aforementioned stint as an admissions consultant. He already had some flourishing connections with the Woodstock campus (he and his eight-year-old daughter, Blake, would visit friends there), and so, having had his fill of the daily grind of radio production, he decided it was time for a career change.  

The transition from being a creative services director for radio to his present role with Hyde has gone smoothly for Rob. Some techniques used in his previous job were easily transferable,  and others he has had to learn, such as asking people for money. But he fervently adds that  "...because I believe in what is going on here, I don't have a problem asking for money." In some sense, he has returned to his earlier ambition of singing jingles, albeit in spoken  or written form, for the sake of netting some "jingle" for his alma mater.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Rob Schuller
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 07:46:02 AM »
In another version of this feature on Rob one fellow America's Spirit production crew member Mike was credited with telling Rob to get into radio. That would be me! Yet here "Hyde faculty member John Chesterton" gets full credit for pointing Rob down the wrong career path. Hyde is stealing my blunder.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 07:59:22 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
In another version of this feature on Rob one fellow America's Spirit production crew member Mike was credited with telling Rob to get into radio. That would be me! Yet here "Hyde faculty member John Chesterton" gets full credit for pointing Rob down the wrong career path. Hyde is stealing my blunder.

That might be due to the thunder of their integrity.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 08:06:49 AM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""

That might be due to the thunder of their integrity.

The moral is:

Steal from Emil and make a platinum record.
Steal from Mike and lose years of your life.

There is a God.

Offline Joseph W. Gauld

• View Profile
Rob Schuller
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 08:18:07 AM »
Ah... Rob's a very special and dear young man.  I'm so fond of him.  I thought he had something patentable with that head of hair of his when he was younger, but it seems not to have lasted...  tsk tsk, too bad.  Could have been a nice sideline to the "character ed" series of products.  Always easier to sell snake-oil to balding men, they think it's linked to their penile girth, har har har!!

Robustly,
Joseph W. Gauld, The Educator and Salesman of the Century

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Rob Schuller
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 08:59:01 AM »
I know Rob was at Hyde Woodstock, but left after 2004 or 2005 to go back to radio in Boston.  I think he works for the Patriots, I live in New Hampshire and hear his voice on their tv commercials.  Plus I think he still has hair :o

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Rob Schuller
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 08:59:27 AM »
I know Rob was at Hyde Woodstock, but left after 2004 or 2005 to go back to radio in Boston.  I think he works for the Patriots, I live in New Hampshire and hear his voice on their tv commercials.  Plus I think he still has hair :o

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Rob Schuller
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:   Yes, when you look at the pic on the pdf download, it is clear he still has hair.  

Perhaps Joe is alluding to Rob's hair when he was still a student?  There is a pic on the website, I think it is in the History section, i.e., seminal moments in the history of Hyde, broken down by decade or something like that, where there are little pics at the top of each section, presumably from said time period.  There is a pic, or there used to be a pic, of a cluster of kids all piled together and looking at the camera.  The pic in question is or used to be in the wrong time period, I should point out, since Rob went to Hyde 1973-8, if I'm not mistaken, and that pic used to be in the '80s section.  There's a kid in the foreground with so much thick hair he looks like you could rest a dinner plate on it without compressing it much... At any rate, whether or not they've moved those pics around or whether or not I have incorrectly recognized him in noted pic, Rob did always have very thick hair and does not appear to have lost that much of it, at least compared to most blokes my age, ha ha!!

BTW, having one's voice in a commercial is not the same as actually working for said organization, it just means you were hired to do voice work.  Though it is certainly possible that he works for the Patriots directly.  Must be a nice sideline to working at Brooks.  I guess he really is "a born jingler!"

Offline Joseph W. Gauld

• View Profile
Rob's Here?
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 04:23:25 PM »

Rob, is that you here, boy?  Good Lord, boy!  You know you can scarcely comb those last bits over your scalp!  What kinda mirrors are you using?!  I'd like to know, because I could use of them meself, har har har!!

Hair-pooning for acceptance,
Joseph W. Gauld, The Educator

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Rob Schuller
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 05:17:14 PM »
No..but this is me.  Just got a google alert.  I'm flattered, but you guys still need to get a life.

Though I don't have that head of hair from 1974, I definately have more hair than Emil!

Who's Mike from America's Spirit who sent me on the way to a career in radio?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Rob Schuller
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 06:14:48 PM »
No..but this is me.  Just got a google alert.  I'm flattered, but you guys still need to get a life.

Though I don't have that head of hair from 1974, I definately have more hair than Emil!

Hey Rob welcome to the cesspool!   Glad you got a job at Brooks School.   You new wife looks nice.

(name withheld upon request)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Rob Schuller
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 12:03:00 AM »

Hey Rob welcome to the cesspool!   Glad you got a job at Brooks School.   You new wife looks nice.

(name withheld upon request)

Hi, Rob. Mike appeared in an article about you in the Hyde Web site a few months back. I assumed you knew something about that. Anyway, I fit the bill, and I seem to remember telling you that you had the voice of a DJ. I was just kidding, Rob.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Rob Schuller
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 02:16:51 AM »
...you guys still need to get a life.

Rob,

We are performing a valuable public service -- exposing the inherent flaws in a bad education model. It's time this model was the subject of public debate.

Mike

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Rob Schuller
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 03:06:56 AM »

Rob,

We are performing a valuable public service -- exposing the inherent flaws in a bad education model. It's time this model was the subject of public debate.

Mike

On the other hand, it's too bad Fornits is a substitute social life for some (names withheld upon request).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Rob Schuller
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 03:19:58 AM »

Rob,

Mike

On the other hand, it's too bad Fornits is a substitute social life for some (names withheld upon request).

Social life is not what many of these people on Fornits get out of it. However many of them seem to have deep wounds from Hyde's manipulations and abuse over the years and they are using this as their outlet to get the word out about how Toxic Hyde Schools are.