Author Topic: More zero tolerance bullshit  (Read 9433 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
More zero tolerance bullshit
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 08:00:31 PM »
Bollocks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 08:02:48 PM »
The schools are normally responsible for the kid when they are moving to school from home and from school to home. So maybe they are using that as their excuse or it could be the old 1000 feet from a school rule that is in force.

Offline str8h8er

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 08:19:10 PM »
Quote from: ""Wandering Waygookin""
The schools are normally responsible for the kid when they are moving to school from home and from school to home. So maybe they are using that as their excuse or it could be the old 1000 feet from a school rule that is in force.

That would only apply if the child/children are being transported on county school buses. I know that that children who are considered "walkers" are on their own once they leave school.
Women who wear jockstrap make fake ballroom.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 08:41:02 PM »
Quote from: ""Wandering Waygookin""

Like someone mentioned earlier, maybe another thread, the kids are just going to adapt.  They will move to 1,001 feet or find another donut shop further away, which will make them even more late for school.
Our Principle in our highschool use to remind us (at least once a week) that there was no smoking behind the “Yum, Yum Treeâ€

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 08:41:39 PM »
If the school claims responsibility an hour before and after school, and a kid gets hurt in that timeframe, I wonder how quickly they'll change their tune when the school gets sued for negligence? After all, they're responsible right?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 08:43:48 PM »
Maybe NYRA is doing something about bringing back off campus lunches.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 08:49:18 PM »
http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.d ... /709140350

Students challenge ban on Gothic

School board policy prohibits such clothing

BY MEGAN DOWNS
FLORIDA TODAY

Back in black. A group of Rockledge High students wants the right to dress in their Gothic clothing at school. But school board policy specifically prohibits the attire and accessories.

Fifteen-year-old Amaris Mulhauser prepared for school Thursday morning using a thick-black eyeliner to draw tear streaks dripping down her cheeks.

A few hours later, she was pulled out of her Rockledge High English class and told to go home -- the second time this week -- for wearing the Gothic makeup that administrators had warned her to remove.

Amaris is one of about 30 students trying to change the district's dress code policy, which they believe is outdated and curtails their freedom of expression. The students went before the school board this week to argue their case.

Federal courts have been debating student speech and expression rights for years as school officials around the country struggle to balance the expectation of a safe learning environment with students' rights.

Brevard Public Schools' dress code policy specifically prohibits Gothic-style clothing or accessories, citing that such gear is tied to "violent or death oriented themes."

The debate over what students can wear even extends to the more demure khaki-and-polo garb now required in more public schools in Brevard. At least one parent is challenging the new uniform policy at Riverview Elementary in Titusville.

After listening to the appeal from the Goth students, school board member Larry Hughes said Thursday he would ask for clarification on the dress code as the board reviews all policies during the next few months.

"They seem like a good group of kids," Hughes said. "Clearly, their dress is a little bit different. But if you were to discount some of the things they are wearing that are not allowed, like piercings and wild makeup, then I really don't have a problem with wearing dark clothing. There might be some wiggle room in our policy to accommodate them."

Amaris -- a soft-spoken sophomore who said she'd never been suspended and had never received a grade lower than a C -- argues she has a right to her style of dress. She said her clothing is part of her Wiccan religion, a neo-pagan, Earth-centered faith.

"I get pulled out of classes, stopped in the hallways, all because they say our makeup is a distraction," Amaris, who signs the "A" in her name with the anarchy symbol, told the Brevard County School Board. "I think basically it is a ploy against people who are different. I am very tired of the unfair treatment that we've been given."

Rockledge High Principal Anthony Hines said Amaris wasn't suspended because of her Wiccan or Gothic associations, but because of her extreme makeup and lip ring, which school district policy deems a safety hazard.

"We had already asked her to comply and told her what the consequences are," Hines said. "We don't make the policy, but we are bound by our jobs to enforce the policy."

A crackdown on teen Goths nationwide followed the 1999 Columbine massacre in which two Colorado teens wearing trench coats and black clothing killed 12 and wounded 24 of their classmates, said Gordon Crews, a professor at Washburn University in Topeka, Kan., who specializes in Gothic subculture studies and criminal justice.

"There's so much misperception and miscommunication that it leads to hysteria," he said. "Just because kids are wearing black or a facial piercing, we automatically attach that to disruptive behavior when most the time these kids are well behaved."

No other style subgroup, such as hip hop, skater or preppy, is specifically listed in the Brevard Public Schools policy.

The district entered the word "Gothic" into the dress code in reaction to the Columbine incident, Area Superintendent Tom McIntyre said.

"Like it or not, Columbine did change cultures at school, just as 9-11 changed our country regarding terrorism," McIntyre said. "Our schools look at these kinds of things much more seriously because we have seen what the end results can be. The expectation of the administration is to maintain a safe and orderly environment."

Rockledge High junior Dustin Morley, who doesn't call himself Goth and normally wears jeans and T-shirts to school, said Gothic wear doesn't disrupt learning, and he's tired of the continual criticism.

"Nobody is going to be disrupted because they are gawking at somebody's eye makeup or lip ring. That does not happen."

Contact Downs at 242-3549 or [email protected].
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 08:58:33 PM »
Fact:  they're not there to 'express, demonstrate or exercise' anything but their minds and educations.
Uniforms and no makeup, funky hair anything, or driving to or from school.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 09:01:37 PM »
No diversity, no individuality, no flexibility of any kind.  No self expression. Conformity will bring you peace.  Big Brother loves you.

::puke::

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2007, 03:52:16 PM »
Quote from: ""Eliscu2""
Quote from: ""Guest""
Fact:  they're not there to 'express, demonstrate or exercise' anything but their minds and educations.
Uniforms and no makeup, funky hair anything, or driving to or from school.

What Program is your child in? ::bangin::

He's not anymore.  
He was in the SpecialEd-blender, courtesy of the State.

Take away all those distractions... :wave:

I said:  "in school".  There's plenty of time out of school.  Not to mention after graduation to pierce your stuff and have green hair (no offense to anyone    ::luck:: ).
Why's everybody in such a big hurry to 'grow up'?

PS I can be a real big blockhead sometimes, absolutely.  Doesn't make me wrong, automatically, all the time,  does it?
Of all the things I\'ve ever lost, I miss my mind the most.
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2007, 04:03:48 PM »
Quote from: ""3xsaSeedling""
There's plenty of time out of school.  Not to mention after graduation to pierce your stuff and have green hair (no offense to anyone    ::luck:: ).

So the message to your child is what? Conform to all expectations of authority in your appearance, thoughts and deeds when you're at school, but it's ok to be a nonconformist between 3 pm and 7:30 am? And wait until after graduation, until you're an adult, to engage in any youthful indiscretions or creative expression?

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2007, 04:06:54 PM »
Quote from: ""3xsaSeedling""

I said:  "in school".  There's plenty of time out of school.  Not to mention after graduation to pierce your stuff and have green hair (no offense to anyone    ::luck:: ).

PS I can be a real big blockhead sometimes, absolutely.  Doesn't make me wrong, automatically, all the time,  does it?

Adults don't usually have the luxury of walking around with weird clothes and green hair.  That's the beauty of being a kid.

No offense taken, btw.
 :)

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2007, 04:57:42 PM »
there IS a happy medium here...
gimme a moment, k?
Of all the things I\'ve ever lost, I miss my mind the most.
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2007, 10:58:05 AM »
Toy gun brings big charges
By Matt Aiken

The gun may have been fake but the charges leveled against a Lumpkin County Middle School student Friday are very real.

Last week a 14-year-old was charged with possession of a weapon on school grounds and disruption of a public school after he allegedly showed up to class with a plastic pellet gun.

Plastic pellet gun = weapon?

"It wasn't a gun. It was a look-a-like," said Superintendent Dewey Moye. "But it's still treated as such."

Not a gun, but treated as such. Ah, that makes sense. And the law allows this? :rofl:

Though the tip of the gun barrel was painted orange, Capt. Jason Stover of the Lumpkin County Sheriff's Office said the toy looked authentic from a distance.

"He had the gun in his binder," said Stover. "He was playing around with it, showing it to people, pulling it out and putting it away and racking it."

Yep. Probably got it for his birthday and wanted to show it off. Now, he has a criminal record for bringing a toy to school. Did it even have pellets in it?

A middle school teacher spotted the pellet gun and pulled the student to the side.  

He was then charged and taken to a regional youth detention center.
He remained at the facility until Monday morning.

Now the student not only faces legal charges but is also due to report at a school disciplinary tribunal where he could be suspended or expelled.

"These situations obviously won't be tolerated," said Moye. "And they will be dealt with in a very quick manner."

As opposed to what... a slow manner? Idiots.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2007, 11:13:11 AM »
It was justified in my opinion.  No one should bring a weapon to school, guns, hand granades,home made road side bombs, pipe bombs, doesnt matter.  There is no way anyone can tell whether it was loaded or not or if it was a real threat.....  its not like the kid was in 4th or 5th grade (playing cops and robbers), this kid is 14 years old and could have been shot or worse.