Author Topic: Behavioral Modification and Cats  (Read 3515 times)

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
Behavioral Modification and Cats
« on: May 29, 2007, 10:42:50 PM »
Well I just adopted a friend's kitten. It is a nice little tabby, but has some serious behavioral issues. I'm worried that my kitten will grow up to be a struggling cat. Some of these problems include meowing at inappropriate times, scattering litter outside his box, and other annoying problems.

Is their help for my wayward kitty?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
am the metal pig.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 11:32:43 PM »
Cats ain't no better than a bunch of fuckin NIGGERS! Drag 'em out to the woodshed and tear up their uppity little asses!  :rofl:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 12:34:15 AM »
A dog.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 03:28:06 AM »
Yup. Sounds like he's acting like a cat.

At least yours is pooping inside the box.

Congratulations on the new pid!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Behavioral Modification and Cats
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 05:46:00 AM »
Quote from: ""Three Springs Waygookin""
Well I just adopted a friend's kitten. It is a nice little tabby, but has some serious behavioral issues. I'm worried that my kitten will grow up to be a struggling cat. Some of these problems include meowing at inappropriate times, scattering litter outside his box, and other annoying problems.

All kittens need a little time to adjust to a new home, especially if they were taken from another home or from their mother and siblings. The meowing can mean a couple of different things from being lonely, to being stressed to just plain old talking to you so make sure that you are giving this little one lots of love.

Get a litter box that has higher sides ( on all four sides) and that will help with the litter problem. For some reason kittens love to do this so with time and a few modifications to the box, that should not be a problem. Try to resist swatting at or yelling at your kitten when he/she does something you don't want them to make a habit of.
Go over and " scruff" them by the neck wich is similiar to the way their moms pick them up to carry them so it creates a submissive response and shows them you are in control. Hold him like that for a few seconds and then put him down away from wherever he was doing the thing you didn't like.

If he/she is scratching or jumping up on the counters there are these great two way stickie pads that usually solve that problem pretty quickly. Just remember that  this kitten is just a baby and the best thing you can do is show him lots of love and give him some time to adjust.

If you are interested in more information or have a specific question just let me know on this thread and I'll pm you.

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 06:15:14 AM »
Congrats TSW!  Nothin cuter than a kitten.

I'm certain you were jesting about the 'behaviors' ... litter boxes are a mess.  Keep a broom nearby.  Also in the states they have they nifty little cat litter mats that catch almost of the the clay caught between tiny foot pads.  If you can find one, I recommend getting it.  They make a huge difference.  

Have you picked a name?
quot;The test of the morality of a society is what is does for it\'s children\"

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
I have solved my cat problems
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 07:30:42 AM »
Our family are on our third cat (For some reason they are not so good in traffic) and we have solved all our furniture problems.

Buy furniture made of the same material as cat scratching post and the cat will start to do it outside. Another benefit are a healthier family because we dont sit so well in these furnitures and had started to exercise instead.

Good luck with your cat.

http://www.offthemarkcartoons.com/carto ... -02-12.gif

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
Re: Behavioral Modification and Cats
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 10:39:18 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Quote from: ""Three Springs Waygookin""

All kittens need a little time to adjust to a new home, especially if they were taken from another home or from their mother and siblings. The meowing can mean a couple of different things from being lonely, to being stressed to just plain old talking to you so make sure that you are giving this little one lots of love.

Get a litter box that has higher sides ( on all four sides) and that will help with the litter problem. For some reason kittens love to do this so with time and a few modifications to the box, that should not be a problem. Try to resist swatting at or yelling at your kitten when he/she does something you don't want them to make a habit of.
Go over and " scruff" them by the neck wich is similiar to the way their moms pick them up to carry them so it creates a submissive response and shows them you are in control. Hold him like that for a few seconds and then put him down away from wherever he was doing the thing you didn't like.

If he/she is scratching or jumping up on the counters there are these great two way stickie pads that usually solve that problem pretty quickly. Just remember that  this kitten is just a baby and the best thing you can do is show him lots of love and give him some time to adjust.

If you are interested in more information or have a specific question just let me know on this thread and I'll pm you.

Sure send me all the info you can. I'm a honkey out of water when it comes to cats. Most of the time I don't even see the thing. It hides behind everything. He was found in the park by one of the members of my hashing group. Not to old either and was half starved. Apparently he crapped on two people in 20 minutes and could barely walk. He gets around fine now.
am the metal pig.

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 10:40:54 AM »
Quote from: ""Truth Searcher""
Congrats TSW!  Nothin cuter than a kitten.

I'm certain you were jesting about the 'behaviors' ... litter boxes are a mess.  Keep a broom nearby.  Also in the states they have they nifty little cat litter mats that catch almost of the the clay caught between tiny foot pads.  If you can find one, I recommend getting it.  They make a huge difference.  

Have you picked a name?

Gato

And I live in a korean apartment. That means its made completely of plastic. So I just hose it out once a week and its all good.
am the metal pig.

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 10:44:01 AM »
Quote from: ""try another castle""
Yup. Sounds like he's acting like a cat.

At least yours is pooping inside the box.

Congratulations on the new pid!

I think he might be a republican feline. Earlier today I saw him acting very conservatively. He walked to his ghetto shoe box litter box after shunning his brand new one with the look on his face that indicated, "Look cheese dick.. if it ain't broken don't fix it."
am the metal pig.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 02:49:53 PM »
So you really do have a kitten? Its not a joke?

Happy to hear it.  :D I love my cats. I have long said anyone who doesn't like cats has simply never known one.  

From what you say - he sounds like he has had some sever anxiety issues - but that they are being resolved. Consistency will help - which might be why he was showing contempt for the new littler box. Be patient. He'll probably take a likeling to the new box, once he has had a chance to study it for a spell ;)

One tip on keeping a cat happy with it's litter box - use un-scented litter. People like the scented stuff - but most cats find it revolting and many cats will use almost any other object or surface for their potty needs, over stepping into a scented litter box.  

Cats also prefer the soft sandy textured litter over the corse heavy grained variety.

Worth knowing, if you have a cat refusing to use its box.

If the cat goes outside its box frequently - when before they have done fine (and you haven't used a new and offensive litter) they may have a bladder or kidney infection. A trip to the vet would be in order.

Speaking of vets - if you do nothing else with a vet - be sure to get it spayed or neutered ASAP. You will regret it if you don't.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 03:36:36 PM »
TSW just owned everyone.

Why?

We're more logical and well meaning and abusive to kittens than children.

At least nobody got butthurt over cat behavior modification.  :rofl:
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 04:38:45 PM »
It sounds like your kitten was feral before you got him. I have one that was like that too. Most of the fear behavior will go away over time once he learns to trust you, especially since he was young when he was found, but some things might remain forever. For instance, Pie will run away and hide whenever another person comes over, even if they have come over to my place a million times. She will hide until they leave, even if it is ten hours later. (My friends and I tend to do a lot of series marathons at my place.)

Pie will also occasionally get overstimulated when being petted, and will get cranky and may bite, but she always gives a warning. She also refuses to be held, and god help me if I have to pill her or clip her claws. She acts like she is being boiled in oil. The trip to the vet is certainly an interesting experience, too. But for the most part, she is a totally affectionate cat who loves me to death and is quite clearly in charge of the household.

Kittens tend to bite and chew on their owners, and that needs to be trained. Repetition and reinforcement are the key. Pie is definitely better than she used to be. First, no rough play that encourages biting your hands, even if you use one of those kitty toy mitts. The cat will make the association that it's okay to bite you. When the cat bites you, you should say "ow!" somewhat loud (even if it doesn't hurt.) as opposed to "no"! Mainly because the sound for "ow" tends to distract them easier than "no" does, because it is more surprising. (Trust me, I have tried both.) Immediately stop interacting with the cat, and ignore them for a while. (At least five minutes.) I don't know why specifically this helps, but it does.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 06:43:50 PM »
///Immediately stop interacting with the cat, and ignore them for a while. (At least five minutes.) I don't know why specifically this helps, but it does.///

It works because you are avoiding inadvertently giving the animal a positive reinforcement for a negative behavior. See, no matter what you are saying - if you continue to interact with the cat (or dog) they are receiving positive reinforcement - so they are likely to continue to do what you are trying to teach them to stop doing.

This also works very well with dog behavior problems. Say for example, your dog jumps up on you and you wish they wouldn't. Saying No - No - stop it, you idiot - all while putting your hands all over their head to shove them off, is a positive reinforcement as far as the dog is concerned. You are interacting with him - touching him and talking to him - and that's all he wants. You might even feed him directly after this shameful behavior ;) further reinforcing his bad dog ways.

You should not speak to him, except to say "stop it" or "off" - just say it once - and do Not put a hand on him. Other wise, absolutely ignore him until he settles down - then pet him. If he is a large dog, you can gently shove him down with your knee - not your hands - and I do not mean to knock him across the room or yard either. Just a gentle nudge off. Once all four feet are on the ground, you can tell him he is good and pet him - but not much. Just a little - or you will over excite him and make him a bad dog again. If your consistent, most dogs learn pretty quick it pays to keep all four paws on the ground.

Cats I find are harder to teach - I think much of the cat play we object to is instinct - and they are driven to pounce and grab and scratch and bite. But they do out grow the worst of it - and they can learn people don't like it, and so keep such play to their toys, or other pets you might have; keeping you around to dispense food and provide petting when wanted.  

:D

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 08:57:25 PM »
Quote from: ""BuzzKill""
So you really do have a kitten? Its not a joke?

Happy to hear it.  :D I love my cats. I have long said anyone who doesn't like cats has simply never known one.  

From what you say - he sounds like he has had some sever anxiety issues - but that they are being resolved. Consistency will help - which might be why he was showing contempt for the new littler box. Be patient. He'll probably take a likeling to the new box, once he has had a chance to study it for a spell ;)

One tip on keeping a cat happy with it's litter box - use un-scented litter. People like the scented stuff - but most cats find it revolting and many cats will use almost any other object or surface for their potty needs, over stepping into a scented litter box.  

Cats also prefer the soft sandy textured litter over the corse heavy grained variety.

Worth knowing, if you have a cat refusing to use its box.

If the cat goes outside its box frequently - when before they have done fine (and you haven't used a new and offensive litter) they may have a bladder or kidney infection. A trip to the vet would be in order.

Speaking of vets - if you do nothing else with a vet - be sure to get it spayed or neutered ASAP. You will regret it if you don't.

Well is it smart to get a kitten spayed or neutered? I mean the thing is barely bigger than my hand. I easily carry him around one handed.

He uses his new litter box. Found a deposit in there this morning. Of course that may well be because I threw out his old litter box. I'll remember what you said about the unscented litter.

I'm not to worried about him getting used to me. He has only been around me two days now. I think he is getting more and more used to me as last night he slept on top of my blanket down by my feet. The night before he hid behind my dresser and I had to haul him out to watch a movie with me, and right back he went when I set him back down.

I'll post some pictures later after I buy some batteries for my camera.

One thing I can't figure out is why he keeps licking and chewing on the same spot on his leg.
am the metal pig.