Author Topic: Girl's death stirs debate over psychiatric meds  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Karass

• View Profile
Girl's death stirs debate over psychiatric meds
« on: March 24, 2007, 02:45:24 PM »
Pretty sick stuff -- a 4-year-old was medicated to death by her parents while her doctor just kept writing prescriptions.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17758170/
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Like its politicians and its wars, society has the teenagers it deserves. -- J.B. Priestley

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 03:23:45 PM »
How very sad and tragic.  The entire system let this little girl down.
quot;The test of the morality of a society is what is does for it\'s children\"

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What a tragedy
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 04:02:45 PM »
That story is so sad and hard to read, the two people that pretty little girl should have trusted to take care of her instead probably caused her misery and ultimate death. How can people do that? I just dont get it. There is so much over medication going on. Kids are kids, and unless there is some obvious severe mental condition, I dont believe in using any meds on children unless there is absolultely no other solution. More people in her life should have stepped in and intervened and taken her themselves to the hospital or something. I wish more people would get involved instead of thinking its not their place. When it comes to the life of a child its always their place. Several babies have died in my county in the past few years because their wasnt "enough" evidence to take the babies away from their violent, drug-abusing parents or stepparents. If DSS is involved to begin with its a red flag anyway. Its so sad. I hope the authorities take the parents other two children out of that environment so they dont suffer the same fate as that poor little girl.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 04:08:39 PM »
Since when do you care about children Bullfrog. You didnt have a problem when organized child abuse put food on your table, why do you suddenly care now?

Offline exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 06:57:48 PM »
Is there a 4 year old out there who does not have mood swings, excess energy etc???

How can anyone diagnose ADHD or BiPolar for a 4 year old?

Social Services really make me wonder sometimes, the whole thing is sickening

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 07:05:38 PM »
SH wrote:
Several babies have died in my county in the past few years because their wasnt "enough" evidence to take the babies away from their violent, drug-abusing parents or stepparents. If DSS is involved to begin with its a red flag anyway. Its so sad. I hope the authorities take the parents other two children out of that environment so they dont suffer the same fate as that poor little girl.

That?s exactly what happened here, a therapist filed a complaint with DSS a few months before she died but nothing was done???it seems all the doctors and right people were talking but the system let her down??  her death was apparently very painful and she was making a gurgling sound (from her lungs filling up with fluid)the last few hours before she died, the brother in law kicked in the parents bedroom door and told them to take her to the emergency room and the parents just gave her another pill instead and she died later that night.

Its hard to even imagine there are people like that.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 07:09:57 PM »
Quote from: ""TheWho""

Look in the mirror.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 07:13:08 PM »
Quote from: ""Antigen's Ghost""

Look in the mirror.

?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 07:18:49 PM »
This father was awaiting trail on charges of molesting a stepdaughter--what the hell was child protective services and the authorities thinking?  
They weren't "thinking" about the welfare of this little girl, that's for sure!

Offline exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 07:57:37 PM »
SH wrote:
Several babies have died in my county in the past few years because their wasnt "enough" evidence to take the babies away from their violent, drug-abusing parents or stepparents. If DSS is involved to begin with its a red flag anyway. Its so sad. I hope the authorities take the parents other two children out of that environment so they dont suffer the same fate as that poor little girl.

That?s exactly what happened here, a therapist filed a complaint with DSS a few months before she died but nothing was done???it seems all the doctors and right people were talking but the system let her down??  her death was apparently very painful and she was making a gurgling sound (from her lungs filling up with fluid)the last few hours before she died, the brother in law kicked in the parents bedroom door and told them to take her to the emergency room and the parents just gave her another pill instead and she died later that night.

It's hard to imagine why the brother in law didn't take the kid to the emergency room  :x

It is like this with social services though, they really don't give a rats arse about kids who are in desperate need of help, they usually leave it until its too late

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
Exhausted , I agree, you would think they would hop in the car and take the kid in.  The stories (locally) don?t seem to want to say much more right now?maybe they will be charged also.
?..3 million reports of child abuse and neglect were made to protective service agencies throughout the country. About two-thirds of these reports were screened in as warranting investigation, and one-third of those that were investigated were substantiated, that is, the children were found to be maltreated. Most of the substantiated cases involved neglect, and almost all the remainder of course were abuse, largely physical abuse.
The most vulnerable children are the youngest; infants and children under one year of age accounted for close to half of the child deaths and 85 percent of the fatalities were children who were younger than six. In 85 percent percent of the cases, the victims were abused by a parent or parents. And, for about one-fifth of the cases, removal from home and placement in foster care was the intervention of choice. About half of these children were placed in foster family homes.

So it seems 85 percent of the fatalities were under the age of 6 years old??.. 20% of the cases came with a recommendation of removal from the home and only 10% were actually removed from the home.
So only half (50%) of the recommendations for intervention are followed thru with and actually implemented, so there either isn?t any place to put these kids or the CPS doesn?t have any (or is losing its) Authority ?.  Does anyone know whats going on?  There are many cases like this, we seem to hear about it a lot lately.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 09:20:03 PM »
Sh said:

"That story is so sad and hard to read, the two people that pretty little girl should have trusted to take care of her instead probably caused her misery and ultimate death. How can people do that? I just dont get it."

This was going on right under your nose for years and years.  Same shit, different kids...
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 09:44:45 PM »
Quote from: ""Dysfunction Junction""
Sh said:

"That story is so sad and hard to read, the two people that pretty little girl should have trusted to take care of her instead probably caused her misery and ultimate death. How can people do that? I just dont get it."

This was going on right under your nose for years and years.  Same shit, different kids...

I hear ya...Apparently it is happening under all of our noses (its not limited to one economic group) ...... if you look at the number of kids at risk and the number that actually get help or are removed from abusive homes before they die?.its all around us?.too bad we don?t have a better system to deal with this and protect these children.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
To Robert and DJ
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 11:22:31 PM »
You think whatever you want, the fact is, you have no clue who or what I am as a person, you dont know me. And , I WOULD HAVE CALLED DSS QUICKER THAN SHIT if I thought abuse was going on at HLA. I dont give a rats ass if they were employing my husband or not, if I thought abuse was going on, I would have called someone. The fact is, I didnt see anything that even resembled abuse on any kid that I saw there. I have an 11 yr old son that I adore. I have stepchildren that I love with all my heart. I have never once in my entire lifetime abused a child, and I have observed what I thought was neglect with children in other situations and reported it, so dont sit there and give this ILLUSION that I am some sort of sick mother fucker who loves abusing children, because that is so far from the truth its ridiculous. If I saw abuse, I would have reported it. But I didnt see or hear of any. I am not guilty of anything at that school. Stop trying to portray me as a child abuser, it is slanderous, untrue, and quite frankly, obsessive in Robert's case. I am not posting about HLA, about anybody there, and I dont plan on doing so. This was about a poor child that got dropped by the system and abused by the parents and its NOT about ME. Drop the bullshit please. Direct this back at the topic at hand. Its about the child, NOT ME.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
Re: To Robert and DJ
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 01:12:07 AM »
Quote from: ""SH""
You think whatever you want, the fact is, you have no clue who or what I am as a person, you dont know me. And , I WOULD HAVE CALLED DSS QUICKER THAN SHIT if I thought abuse was going on at HLA. I dont give a rats ass if they were employing my husband or not, if I thought abuse was going on, I would have called someone. The fact is, I didnt see anything that even resembled abuse on any kid that I saw there. I have an 11 yr old son that I adore. I have stepchildren that I love with all my heart. I have never once in my entire lifetime abused a child, and I have observed what I thought was neglect with children in other situations and reported it, so dont sit there and give this ILLUSION that I am some sort of sick mother fucker who loves abusing children, because that is so far from the truth its ridiculous. If I saw abuse, I would have reported it. But I didnt see or hear of any. I am not guilty of anything at that school. Stop trying to portray me as a child abuser, it is slanderous, untrue, and quite frankly, obsessive in Robert's case. I am not posting about HLA, about anybody there, and I dont plan on doing so. This was about a poor child that got dropped by the system and abused by the parents and its NOT about ME. Drop the bullshit please. Direct this back at the topic at hand. Its about the child, NOT ME.

Denial.......
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]