Author Topic: Why the Need for Regulation?  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why the Need for Regulation?
« on: November 28, 2006, 11:17:47 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/11/28/bootc ... index.html

PENSACOLA, Florida (AP) -- Seven former juvenile boot camp guards and a nurse have been charged with aggravated manslaughter in the death of a boy whose rough handling by the guards was videotaped, a special prosecutor said Tuesday.

Martin Lee Anderson,14, collapsed on the exercise yard at the Bay County sheriff's camp in Panama City on January 5. Guards said the teen was uncooperative and refused to continue participating in exercises that were part of the camp's intake processes.

He died early the next morning in Pensacola.

Benjamin Crump, the attorney for Anderson's parents, was in Panama City with the family Tuesday and didn't immediately return a call for comment.

The boy's death sparked protests in the state capital, the elimination of the military-style boot camp system and the resignation of the state's top law enforcement officer.

An initial autopsy by medical examiner Dr. Charles Siebert found Anderson died of complications of sickle cell trait, a usually benign blood disorder.

A second autopsy by Dr. Vernard Adams, the medical examiner for Hillsborough County, found Anderson's death was caused by suffocation due to the actions of the guards.

He said the suffocation was caused by hands blocking the boy's mouth, as well as the "forced inhalation of ammonia fumes" that caused his vocal cords to spasm, blocking Anderson's upper airway.

The guards had said in an incident report that they used ammonia capsules five times on Anderson to gain his cooperation.

Siebert has consistently stood by his findings.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 11:24:33 AM »
So tragedies like this don't occur.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 09:59:09 AM »
Regulation isn't going to do much.  Eliminating the programs and that entire way of thinking is the only thing that will truly make a difference.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 10:04:17 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Regulation isn't going to do much.  Eliminating the programs and that entire way of thinking is the only thing that will truly make a difference.

I agree, but unless these fuckers KNOW they're facing jail time and not some slap on the wrist, there is no hope at all.

If we can't legislate/regulate their behavior, let's prosecute them to the fullest extent allowed by law - EACH AND EVERY TIME.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 10:23:44 AM »
Abso-fucking-lutely! I'm glad to see that charges have been filed against someone.  This industry has been going on for decades now, unchecked with no one, EVER being held responsible.  Regulation won't do much IMO, but criminal prosecution will.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 03:47:22 PM »
Some advocates don't support licensure/regulation because it will not ensure that a child is not killed, mamed, emotionally injured or that child abusers will be punished. There is a history of regulatory agencies failing to do the job they are sanctioned to do.
I can understand that, but I don't understand total opposition to it. Every program should be licensed and regulated for the little protection and information it provides.
Without regulation, the information re: Ridge Creek would not be available.
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?p= ... 316#227534
Thirty three pages of violations. That is a record. It won't matter to some, but it is available to discerning parents. And I'd think that is at least as effective as personal experiences.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 11:31:45 PM »
If you haven't seen the Montana PBS documentary on the Industry in that state (self regulation), you can view it at FICA.  Paul Clark, "We will hold ourselves accountable."  This from the man who practices therapy without a license at two programs.
http://kathymoya.com/FICA/whoswatchingthekidsvideo.html
Then read these articles on Spring Creek Lodge for some insight into the program highlighted in the documentary- largest employer in the region.
http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/des ... rate.shtml
http://www.missoulanews.com/News/News.asp?no=5192
http://www.missoulanews.com/News/News.asp?no=4970
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 06:50:36 AM »
i cant understand the argument against regulation of this industry. To be pro regulation is not necessarily to be pro programme. To me it pretty much boils down to the fact that any totally unregulated for profit industry will do whatever it takes to make a quick buck.

banks & financial institutions have to adhere to a certain minimum standard of conduct because there is a danger that someone might unjustly loose money. So why not schools which deal with troubled childen with potentially complex emotional issues?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 08:57:07 AM »
I'm not necessarily against regulation.  I just don't hold out a lot of hope for it doing any real good.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 05:46:10 PM »
I'm not necessarily against regulation. I just don't hold out a lot of hope for it doing any real good.

Then perhaps the problem is not regulation itself, it is that in the US, parts of it anyway, it is apparently not taken seriously enough to be adequately enforced.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 06:07:57 PM »
I think a lot of people have the attitude, "well, we have to do something with these kids.  We (the US and yes I'm generalizing) seem to view adolescence as a disorder to be treated.  Behaviors that most, and I mean the VAST MAJORITY of kids get placed into "treatment" for don't need it.  Until we stop viewing teenagers and their rebellion as something that needs to be stepped on and controlled nothing will ever change.

And no, no one seems to take any of it seriously.  Case in point:

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=15922&start=30

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 07:35:58 PM »
your'e right guest. of course society needs to stop treating adolescence as a mental illness. I also genuinely feel for the parents of kids who are taking the whole teen rebellion thing a bit too far because they are living in an environment which seems to continually enforce the idea that the kid may end up dead if they dont do something drastic. But by the same token there seems to be little in the way of social support or reasssurance from the wider community. This kind of  pressure must make it hard on everyone.
But the reason why i am in favour of regulation is because these schools dont seem to be a passing fad. Tough love has now been around for over 30 years and this is if you dont count Military schools. So given that they seem to be here to stay in the US it is important that  there is at least a minimum standard of care  and education which is strictly enforced

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 07:41:12 PM »
So given that they seem to be here to stay in the US

That's only because not enough people with enough power got serious about getting rid of them before.