Author Topic: CEDU Lingo  (Read 4904 times)

Offline tellitallbruther

• View Profile
had to chime in!
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 04:44:30 AM »
So since I'm one of the record holders of time served (and money spent) in the "system" I feel it is my duty to indulge in this opportunity. If I'm repeating anything from other responses I apologize...just want to see what I remember off the top of my head!

being "too exclusive" - when a guy and girl hang out too much

"split contract" - when you tell a friend you may be getting pulled out

breaking the "sex agreement" - makin out with a chick when you are supposed to be on work assignments.

"Bans" cannot speak to someone  - in many cases yelled in anothers face facetiously   when "banned" from a friend

"sex contract" - Hi i'm a heterosexual teenage guy and you are a girl ...I think you look smashing in that Columbia parka

"beet rag" - a sock or cotton accessory used for personal time in the dorm

"pop off" - only heard this at CMS and the HS - yes I went to 5 of the 7 schools - songs that are not the Cedu standards of Neil Diamond, Beatles, Crosby Stills and Nash (sorry jackson), and so on...if you sang a song you then became...

"Out of Agreement" - not following rules in which you never agreed to the day they made you change your clothes and take the horrible  Polaroid on the day of your arrival

"Life is a Feast" - I think this was just a poster from the propheet we all went through that was used superfluously around the sidu camps.

"House around the pit/harth" and "First and Last Light" - Joining together to listen to whoever talk about the goings on.

"Scarcity" - Used mainy on the running springs campus in reference to people stampeding to get in line to eat that lovely sysco food.

"eye mingle" - going around the room during a propheet and finding the special person who you feel the most comfortable with.

"Smooshing" - a way - for - people  to ummmm - get closer. I think it was a situation that worked well for the hippies back in the day but when I was there in the early/mid 90's it was a little too homoerotic to not have to write a dirt list when you were done.

"In your shit" - Not too happy with life and feeling a bit homicidal...not to be confused with

"Running your shit" - Looking at the floor and envisioning whoever did you wrong to make you become the broken person you were and yelling! Often a forced situation that occurs when someone is getting blasted in raps and wants to be left alone (kinda like getting spanked as a child...after a while you just cry to make the beating stop)

That's all for now...maybe next time I'll go into green scrubbies and having the room "tight" or why if you run your anger you shouldn't punch the floor or maybe just maybe touch on the propheet warm ups...till then take care and pop that tape in that they gave you at graduation!

::bangin::
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
s I gaze out on the ocean...and see the beaching of a whale...

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
CEDU Lingo
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 02:45:29 PM »
"Scarcity" - Used mainy on the running springs campus in reference to people stampeding to get in line to eat that lovely sysco food.

We had that one, too. (RMA). The kids would also moo like cows as a joke.

Haha. Green scrubbies. And fuckin' Bon Ami.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
CEDU Lingo
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 10:22:07 PM »
khalil gihbran is puking in his grave right now.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
CEDU Lingo
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2007, 10:33:40 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
khalil gihbran is puking in his grave right now.

Fuck him and his stupid fruity book.

Offline tellitallbruther

• View Profile
CEDU Lingo
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 01:01:10 AM »
and a mother holding a baby to her bosom said, speak to us of....wow you busted out the prophet! You know what though...while I missed out on a lot of great music that came out during my tenure...I now know a bunch of songs that I now only hear in IHOP...CCR, Cat Stevens, that group that sang the songs about being to the mountain and drinking from the fountain...and whatnot
s I gaze out on the ocean...and see the beaching of a whale...

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
CEDU Lingo
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 09:57:20 PM »
Weird. I keep remembering new stuff.

"cap": To insult someone, mostly by calling them names. i.e. "capping on" them. Making fun of them. Frowned upon. The rules and standards for this seemed rather arbitrary, since it was perfectly ok to say very demeaning shit to someone in a rap. For instance, you could not call someone an asshole, but it was perfectly legitimate to say they were acting like one. The linguistic origin of the word, according to CEDU was that when you insult someone, you "put a cap" on their feelings.

"hard": being tough.

"soft": being vulnerable and sensitive.

Note that "hard" was always considered an "act", wheras "soft" was considered being authentic. Kids who had a tough sensibility about them were constantly given "direction" to be "soft". The goal of the school was to make everyone "soft", essentially.

"look good": a kid who is believed to be following the rules without sincerity. A non-programmie who tries to look like a real one.

"get a feel good": Essentially, copping a feel when "smooshing". Does not necessarily have to manifest itself in any overt physical action. It could simply be that someone is suspected of enjoying the intimacy for sexual gratification. Predictably, staff were mostly exempt from this scrutiny.

"Lugs": Part of the ice breaker in the Brother's Keeper propheet. A student is required to come up with a short performance that makes fun of themselves, and act it out for the entire peer group. This is done repeatedly, since every time a new member of the peer group comes up with and performs their "lug", all of the previous students who have already come up with theirs have to do it again. (Kind of the same structure as the "12 days of Christmas" song.) I believe, and I could be wrong on this, my memory is fuzzy, that it could also mean a staff member mimicking a student in an embarrassing manner. It essentially meant making fun of your behavior, or having someone else make fun of it.

"News and Goods": A list of things that are going on with you that are positive. Students were required to start their presentation by saying "here is what is new and good in my life."

"scum": Humiliating things you feel bad about. Students were often required to "cop" to their "scum" in raps. Different than "dirt" in that it wasn't necessarily something that was against the rules. I don't remember a whole lot about this term, I just recall seeing it mentioned repeatedly in my full-time notebook.

"flags": means pretty much the same in the real world that it did in there, albeit the criteria was far different. A warning sign. A student demonstrating unacceptable behavior was often told that "their flags were flying", and that it was indicative that something more sinister was going on with them. On full-times, students were sometimes given a writing assignment to list their "flags".

"stretch": Dual meaning. 1. Doing something that is difficult for you, or that makes you uncomfortable. 2. Part of the Summit workshop. (The costume party.) Students are assigned characters that they have to dress up as. Each character is expected to do specific things and behave in a certain way. The actions were normally a combination of doing something that was contrary to your (already heavily compromised) personae, in addition to a "lug". However, instead of calling these assignments "characters", they were called "stretches". Students were required to fashion their own costumes within a specific amount of time, and then participate in a "party" where everyone goes around and acts out their "stretch" repeatedly. Later, students were then required to perform their "stretch" solo, in front of the peer group, until they got it "right" and the staff were satisfied with their performance.

I believe the stretches exercise was the one thing that Wasserman didn't borrow from Lifespring, and came up with on his own. (Which was why the summit had 6 days and Lifespring only had 5.)

and... has anyone put this yet? I don't remember reading it.

"blown away": Being screamed at in a rap.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 11:16:48 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
CEDU Lingo
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2007, 05:48:58 PM »
A lot of this same lingo showed up in The Seed and carried on to Straight.

"Split contract" = "split plans" till sometime between `80 and `82 when the term 'split'--being considered too hippie and not 'straight' enough--was verbotten and replaced with 'cop out'. This was confusticating to a seed raised kid like me cause 'cop out' already had a meaning within the closed lingo. It was something like being shallow, not spilling quite enough of your guts to Group about whatever ..... For a brief time, like days, the offical term was 'departed'. I remember the rap when Chris Casselor tried to make that official. But departed was too morose even for that place. These days, in the Seed/Straight spin offs, the term is 'eloped'. I shit you not.

"side conversation" = "side talk" or talkin out in group. This one was enforced to the extreme, just like all the rest. Included "eye games" (making eye contact with almost anyone almost anytime)

There's more, but oh, I've had enough!
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
CEDU Lingo
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 06:39:37 PM »
THINK TANK= A punitive work detail given to a person that had broken a rule or wasn't considered to be progressing properly.The work detail required that the person wear a jumpsuit and remain silent.

D.M.T.= Deep Meaningful Talk, a conversation that involved two students sharing their "stories" in an exaustive, frank and brutaly honest manner.

Contracted Up= Two or more persons breaking or conspiring to break a rule. The most frequent example being "bad rapping"

This is from waay back in the day.