Author Topic: Red Rock Canyon school  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Britt15

• View Profile
Red Rock Canyon school
« on: March 17, 2003, 05:19:00 PM »
Has anyone ever heard of this boarding school? Any students who went there...any info at all?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Red Rock Canyon school
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 05:01:34 PM »
Here's what I believe is the full of that article, for what it's worth:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Police investigate schoolgirl's death
Deseret News (Salt Lake City), Mar 7, 2003

ST. GEORGE -- Police here are investigating the death of a student at a private boarding school.

Authorities were called to the Red Rock Canyon School, 747 E. St. George Blvd., about 7 a.m. Saturday because a girl was sick. "When we arrived, we found out they were doing CPR. She was transported to the hospital and pronounced dead," St. George police spokesman Craig Harding said.

Red Rock officials said the girl had been sick for a few days and had seen the school nurse. Police are investigating the illness and treatment. "There was no obvious (evidence) of criminal activity," Harding said.

Copyright C 2003 Deseret News Publishing Co.
Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 03:30:38 AM »
A rather interesting thread were added to datasheet this morning.

Red Rock Canyon School, a thread on topix.com

Forced partipation in AA/NA groups without considering the need for it:
I agree with this persons comments. I was at Red Rock a few years ago and I learned more about drugs and bad behavior and how to hide it there than I ever did outside of the facility. Just being honest. The only part of Red Rock that was really worth while was their wilderness program.

This person does properly mention the 2003 death:
Well it is true what kathryn said but.... She also for got about the bad shit red rock serves your kids mc donalds every day and fatting foods it is really un helathy and the bathrooms have peee alll over the place. Also the staffs can hit you when ever they want or when ever they feel like it. Also the nurses they find off the streeet they dont no how to do crud! A girl died their why I was their I was their for a year. She died because she was ill and throwing up when ever she eat. Also the staff give the cutter razors and tell them to go cut them selves to try and scare them. They did it to me alot so I would slice up my body till I would pass out then they would take me to the emergency room and say I feel out of a window. So they stitthced me up and sent me baack. They also are aloud to lie to your family and you and say horrible stuff and tell every buddy about your pass and abuse and personal shit.

Minor restraint problems:
when I was there back in 2001 a staff member there "accidentally" broke a kids neck when he was restraining him. He didn't die, but I bet he doesn't have a great life anymore. I'm not all about bashing this place because the wilderness program(which they have now canceled apparently) did help me find myself but I have to agree that the staff that worked there when I was there (granted, it was 6 years ago) weren't much better than the kids that were sent there.

One more died? I have not found anything on the net. The police are so used to teenagers dying in Utah that they properly dont take reports anymore:
A young boy committed suicide 2 weeks ago at Red Rock Canyon School.
Parents were informed of the tragic event that happened at Red Rock. The staff did a fantastic job helping the kids through this, as well as helping their parents help thier kids deal with it also. Our hearts and prayers go out to the family of the student who did pass away. My son was good friends with him. But as someone who has experienced this personally first hand, even in the best of situations tragic events can happen. But I still am very confident in the care my son and daughter both recieve at Red Rock. And highly recommend Red Rock Cannyon School to others. I know my kids are alive today because of RRCS!

A couple of deaths in Utah programs are not unusual. We could remove the datasheet but have decided to keep it anyway.

Offline M_Hilton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 03:46:15 AM »
Oscar, a friend of mine on line live in UT its just how it is there
every one is buddy buddy so if some thing happens they sweep in under the rug and lie about its till it goes away thanks the LDS that run EVERY THING
if your not LDS they just dont care
and if you are and dont follow party line its off to the gulags with you if your under 18
and if your over shunned from church good luck getting a job after that

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Learning about life
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 11:14:56 AM »
Here is a local news puff piece from this past summer:

TheSpectrum.com
Learning about life
Red Rock Canyon School's program helps students gain perspective

BY LISA LARSON • [email protected] • June 8, 2009

Sometimes it takes learning about death to gain a greater appreciation for life.

At Metcalf Mortuary in St. George, four students from Red Rock Canyon School gathered in a room to view various headstones and vaults as part of an overall facility tour. After a word of warning, the tour guide opens a door to reveal several infant-size caskets, something Jordan Delgado, 17, did not enjoy seeing.

"It didn't make me very happy," she said after leaving the room. "It reminds you of a lot of things you've experienced throughout your life and what could happen."

These types of thoughtful reactions are just what Barry Moore, transitional director at Red Rock Canyon School, has come to expect from the program he's dubbed "Tour de Life" - a tour that stops at locations ranging from the Newborn Intensive Care Unit at Dixie Regional Medical Center to the area's pioneer historical sites and Purgatory Correctional Facility as well as Metcalf Mortuary - with the goal of giving the students a better perspective on where they've come from and where they're going.

It's all part of the curriculum for the transitional program, Moore said, adding that the "key points" on the tour signify stops on the journey of life, though not all of the stops have to be part of their personal journey; it all depends on their choices.

For example, visiting Purgatory is a way of showing these students where their life could go if they let their guard down once they go home from Red Rock's program.

"It only takes a nanosecond to misstep and that misstep could cost them years behind bars," Moore said of the students who are "already at risk" because of prior issues.

"These children that come through here (Red Rock) are damaged. Some of them are in a world of hurt," Moore said.

Through the transitional program and other elements offered at Red Rock the goal is to help the students move beyond that.

While visiting Purgatory some of the inmates shared their stories with the students to help them see the error in their ways.

"You have to be there to feel ... the power in their words and the emotions they're expressing to our students. It brings almost everyone to tears," Moore said. "It does make a big impact on our kids."

Luke Shoop, 17, said the time at Purgatory made him think about "all the stupid stuff we used to do. If we would have gotten caught, we would have been in big trouble."

That stop on the tour also made him think about his future.

"It's made me think about the choices I'm making at Red Rock at least," he said.

During the visit to Metcalf Mortuary, some of the students commented on the fact that death can happen to anyone and no one really knows when their time will come to a close.

"I don't see myself with much of a future so it's like, when is this going to happen to me," Delgado said.

"Death could happen at any time and when it does, it'll be crazy," Shoop said. "It just makes me think how precious life is."

The latter is a message Red Rock is trying to instill in the youth.

"Life can be fragile and you want to live each day to the max," Moore said.

The Tour de Life stop at area pioneer sites is an opportunity for Red Rock staff to emphasize that these students can be pioneers themselves, blazing a trail away from the path they've been on.

"They're beginning to see that they are in charge, they are the captains of their souls," Moore said. "They are free to choose what they want to do and what they want to be. We want them to see that."

Tour de Life also takes students on a visit to the cemetery, but this is not the final stop as some people might expect. The last leg of the journey is a family history lesson where students can attempt to track down some of their ancestors and see how close that connection can be.

These kinds of experiences and others have given Delgado a new perspective on what she can accomplish when she is finished with her time at the school.

"Red Rock has done wonders for me. I've never been this happy," she said, adding that she plans to stay with Red Rock until she's completed her high school diploma.

Copyright ©2009 The Spectrum

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 01:18:26 AM »
Quote from: "Oscar"
A rather interesting thread were added to datasheet this morning.

Red Rock Canyon School, a thread on topix.com

Forced partipation in AA/NA groups without considering the need for it:
I agree with this persons comments. I was at Red Rock a few years ago and I learned more about drugs and bad behavior and how to hide it there than I ever did outside of the facility. Just being honest. The only part of Red Rock that was really worth while was their wilderness program.

This person does properly mention the 2003 death:
Well it is true what kathryn said but.... She also for got about the bad shit red rock serves your kids mc donalds every day and fatting foods it is really un helathy and the bathrooms have peee alll over the place. Also the staffs can hit you when ever they want or when ever they feel like it. Also the nurses they find off the streeet they dont no how to do crud! A girl died their why I was their I was their for a year. She died because she was ill and throwing up when ever she eat. Also the staff give the cutter razors and tell them to go cut them selves to try and scare them. They did it to me alot so I would slice up my body till I would pass out then they would take me to the emergency room and say I feel out of a window. So they stitthced me up and sent me baack. They also are aloud to lie to your family and you and say horrible stuff and tell every buddy about your pass and abuse and personal shit.

Minor restraint problems:
when I was there back in 2001 a staff member there "accidentally" broke a kids neck when he was restraining him. He didn't die, but I bet he doesn't have a great life anymore. I'm not all about bashing this place because the wilderness program(which they have now canceled apparently) did help me find myself but I have to agree that the staff that worked there when I was there (granted, it was 6 years ago) weren't much better than the kids that were sent there.

One more died? I have not found anything on the net. The police are so used to teenagers dying in Utah that they properly dont take reports anymore:
A young boy committed suicide 2 weeks ago at Red Rock Canyon School.
Parents were informed of the tragic event that happened at Red Rock. The staff did a fantastic job helping the kids through this, as well as helping their parents help thier kids deal with it also. Our hearts and prayers go out to the family of the student who did pass away. My son was good friends with him. But as someone who has experienced this personally first hand, even in the best of situations tragic events can happen. But I still am very confident in the care my son and daughter both recieve at Red Rock. And highly recommend Red Rock Cannyon School to others. I know my kids are alive today because of RRCS!

A couple of deaths in Utah programs are not unusual. We could remove the datasheet but have decided to keep it anyway.
This Topix thread seems to have disappeared. Hmm.