Author Topic: So what DOES work?  (Read 15835 times)

Offline Dr Phil

• View Profile
Re: So what DOES work?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 02:56:47 PM »
Quote from: ""Terry""
Yes, I admit -- I'm a troubled parent.  I've never raised a teenager before and it's scaring the hell out of me.  I only want him to have a shot at happiness and a whole life, not to end up in jail, without an education, homeless, hopeless, whatever.....  and that's where I see him heading.  I'm willing to do anything and everything to help him.  I've been researching TBS's and have an appt with an independent educational consultant in 3 weeks.  We live in a major metropolitan city with reasonable resources.  

My son is 16, failing school, doing drugs (painkillers, mj, inhalants, xanax, coke...that we know of), is defiant, hot-tempered, depressed and has threatened suicide.  He's recently been enrolled in a non-profit teenage drug abuse program (but still doing drugs) and we have an appt. with a psychiatrist next week.

So you guys tell me, what DOES work???

Despite what you see on primetime television, you do have a completely normal teenager. My biggest worry would be the more dangerous drugs, inhalants and coke. I'd tell him I'd rather you smoke weed and take xanax than huff spray paint and nose candy, because you love him and don't want him to be physically harmed. Everything else you are worrying about is not an emergency. Is he stupid? Then he won't be that bad off if he doesn't get an MBA. Is he crazy? Then he won't be homelesss, you can house and feed yourself on minimum wage. Hopeless? A program sure won't solve that, unless you want to fill his head with meaningless buzz words and ideology.

Now that we aren't freaking out, let's look at some reasonable options. He is failing at school? Then how about giving the option of attending a charter school, perhas he is terribly bored and unstimulated. Maybe now that he is 16, he would rather work and do charter school. Smart kids, creative kids and most human beings in general get tired of sitting in a chair receiving basic and normally useless information for 12 years. He's tired of it, change it up and make it different. That's what inspires hope, not more of the same. He's doing drugs? Well unless you want to physically control his body (lock him up somewhere) there is not much you can do without his own willingness, other than speak to him like an adult and have a real conversation about the danger of drugs like inhalants and coke and painkillers. If he wants xanax, get him a prescription from the psychiatrist, maybe he is physically uncomfortable and nervous at school and self medicating. Talk to him about it, don't make him afraid of you because communication will shut down. The mere mention of a program could do this.

As far as the anger and suicide threats, that's typical for a teenager who views their familial relations as a battlefield. That must change. If every teen was locked up for their temper and overly dramatic threats to end their life, there'd be a new camp every week. Seems we're headed that way. If you think he's serious about suicide, you can call the cops and they will detain him and take him to a psych hospital for 72 hours, can be extended to 14 days. But again, once this happens trust is gone, communication is down and will take years to repair.

If I were in your situation, I would start talking to my kid more and trying to find out the reasons for his behavior, and not freak out about the individuals behaviors themselves. If you try and control these actions, this will only result in physical control (ie locking him away in program) and that doesn't help anyone unless they are insane and a danger to themselves. If he were willing, I'd try an outpatient psych program. If he weren't then I would pray he doesn't get arrested or killed, but I would not be willing to risk his psychiatric future by taking irrational action in order to satisfy my parental fears, because that would not be fair to him, it would be selfish to get rid of my own uncomfortable feelings. That's all WWASPS and other programs sell, the alleviation of fear to parents. Everything you listed is normal teenage behavior, but then again reality can be scary to some people.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
It\'s time to get real!?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 03:25:51 PM »
"I would start talking to my kid more and trying to find out the reasons for his behavior'

Hey, Horseshiteater.  Try parenting an out of control teen and see how far this advice gets you.  What a stupid fuck you are.

Offline Dr Phil

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 03:30:18 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
"I would start talking to my kid more and trying to find out the reasons for his behavior'

Hey, Horseshiteater.  Try parenting an out of control teen and see how far this advice gets you.  What a stupid fuck you are.

I can see why you needed to send your kids to a program, with communications skills such as yours. Are you this cruel and crude in real life or do you save it for the internet? Wow... just wow.
It\'s time to get real!?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 03:30:57 PM »

I have.  Twice.  Without a program.  Worked out fine.  What the fuck is your problem?

Offline Dr Phil

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 03:32:12 PM »
Hey, Horseshiteater. Try parenting an out of control teen and see how far this advice gets you. What a stupid fuck you are.

I'm reluctant to respond since you are obviously here for your own reasons, however strange they may be, but I am curious to know did you adopt an out of control teen? Do kids come out of the womb out of control, how does that work exactly?
It\'s time to get real!?

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
I am a parent
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 03:34:02 PM »
I think you're not a real parent and are trolling for flames.  However, I'll answer the question for argument's sake.

I am a real parent to two children.

I also have a brother that smokes pot when he is not working. It happens one or two time per year and now where he is 37 it has been so for about 15-18 years.

Our hole familiy knows it, his doctor knows it, his case worker in the local authorities knows it, but he is 37 and an adult capable to make his own choices and face the consequences. So no one is going to send him anywhere.

Due to the cultural differences we see it different over here. We would interfere at once when it comes to a person being under 18.

But it is always done in corporation with the local authorities, so we can be certain that it is not a overreaction to a normal teenager behavior. Some of the programs in your country seems to function on the conception that the parents are the legal system when it comes to decide whenever a child need the ultimative punishment, you ever can hand out to a child - deportation. There is no demand for the police, a judge or even medical personel to look into the case before the child is punished.

It is wrong. You need to see the whole picture. What is the drug use is the result of sexual abuse? Is it OK to send the child away. Would it not be better in such cases to prison the parent responsible and arrange for foster parents for the child?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 03:47:16 PM by Guest »

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 03:38:50 PM »
Quote from: ""OutlawHorseEater""

I can see why you needed to send your kids to a program, with communications skills such as yours. Are you this cruel and crude in real life or do you save it for the internet? Wow... just wow.

She saves it for the internet.  Never in a million years would she want anyone she knows to see exactly what a loser she is.  She can't even tell her friends about how she posts here for fear they will connect the dots (as I have).

Soon, she'll have no choice.  I'm going to link all her posts and post her name, address and phone number so people can hold her accountable for this vile behavior.

Soo, my dear, very soon.  Ask Karen how it feels.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 03:59:49 PM »
Quote from: ""OutlawHorseEater""

She saves it for the internet.  Never in a million years would she want anyone she knows to see exactly what a loser she is.  She can't even tell her friends about how she posts here for fear they will connect the dots (as I have).

Soon, she'll have no choice.  I'm going to link all her posts and post her name, address and phone number so people can hold her accountable for this vile behavior.

Soo, my dear, very soon.  Ask Karen how it feels.

::rocker::  ::kiss::  ::rocker::  ::bigsmilebounce::  ::blushing::  ::cheers::  ::bwahaha::  :P  :oops:  :o  :D  ::nod::  ::nod::  ::nod::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2006, 04:06:36 PM »
The topic of this thread is asking what does work.  Someone else said this before but it bears repeating.

Take the boatload of money that you're spending to have them 'reformed' and take them on a six month trip to Europe, or a cross country road trip.  Find out what your kid is truly interested in or passionate about and spend the money encouraging that.  ANd don't tell me their only interest is in screwing around.  Everyone has something that they dream of doing.  Say he likes motocross bikes.  Get him the best one and get him into racing.  Send them to a marine biology school in the Keys or Bahamas (a REAL school, not a TBS or some shit like Casa).  Spend the time and money you would on shipping them off and use it to foster and feed what feeds their soul.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 04:43:19 PM »
"Take the boatload of money that you're spending to have them 'reformed' and take them on a six month trip to Europe, or a cross country road trip. Find out what your kid is truly interested in or passionate about and spend the money encouraging that. ANd don't tell me their only interest is in screwing around. Everyone has something that they dream of doing. Say he likes motocross bikes. Get him the best one and get him into racing. Send them to a marine biology school in the Keys or Bahamas (a REAL school, not a TBS or some shit like Casa). Spend the time and money you would on shipping them off and use it to foster and feed what feeds their soul."

God, you are so stupid.  The above translates into, "reward your kid for terrorizing your household and breaking every law and rule by finding new ways to spoil him rotten."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 04:47:00 PM »
No, it doesn't.  It shows your kid that your interested in why he's behaving the way he is instead of just punishing him for it.

I'm so stupid but both my kids are now doing well without going through a program even though a shitload of people were telling me to send her to one.  Riiiiiiiiight. :roll:

You shouldn't have spoiled him in the first place.  Your fault but your kid ends up paying the fucking consequences.  You selfish prick.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 04:49:25 PM »
No, it doesn't.  It shows your kid that your interested in why he's behaving the way he is instead of just punishing him for it.

I'm so stupid but both my kids are now doing well without going through a program even though a shitload of people were telling me to send her to one.  Riiiiiiiiight. :roll:

You shouldn't have spoiled him in the first place.  Your fault but your kid ends up paying the fucking consequences.  You selfish prick.

Correction. they wanted me to send one of them ot a program.  She was terrorizing the family, doing a lot of drugs, stealing, wrecking her cars (4 of them) and all the other shit that you guys talk about your kids doing.  Funny how we managed without the mindrape.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Thanks for the replies
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 04:57:25 PM »
Thanks to those of you who offered caring advice.  I appreciate your time very much.  

I thought the educational consultant could help us with getting my son into private school that have waiting lists, recommend local schools that could help with rehab issues, etc.  The TBS was just one of the options, and obviously the last one we'd choose.  I didn't consider, until today, that it could be an abusive situation for him.  Pretty stupid, I guess.  But I am a 'research freak' and that's why I'm here.  I was only asking for your input from the other side of the fence.  Didn't realize I was going to be attacked for "sending my kid away".  I am a mother in a lot of pain.  That's all.

We can't figure out exactly what he's doing and in what quantities.... he's managed to evade drugs that show up on hair follicle tests.  That came back completely negative.  It's not like he's stoned out of his mind all the time.  These are drugs he's either been caught doing or has admitted to using over the past year.  It *looks* like he's experimenting, but who the hell knows.

Everyone one in our family is doing the best we can.  Thanks again for your help.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2006, 05:00:41 PM »
Terry, this is not a good forum for advice.  Go to www.strugglingteens.org    You will be helped by compassionate parents instead of angry freaks.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
hair follicle test
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2006, 05:01:19 PM »
If it didn't show up on a hair follicle test he isn't doing anything.  The NSA uses those tests for their employment clearances.

and do not listen to strugglingteens.com  If you're a research freak, find out who owns that site.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 05:02:08 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)