Author Topic: Federal Class-Action Lawsuit Filed Against HLA & Buccell  (Read 25010 times)

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Federal Class-Action Lawsuit Filed Against HLA & Buccell
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2006, 01:38:23 PM »
"Yes, your honor.  The defense calls Mr. Leonard Buccellato.  Would you kindly hand me that booster seat?  Thank you."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2006, 11:16:02 AM »
We're coming up on the deadline for HLA to respond to this suit.  It's going to be interesting to say the least...
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2007, 12:41:52 PM »
Plaintiffs have now grown to 21 families.

If the class is not certified, the plaintiffs intend to file individual suits that, eventually, could reach 50 or more.

There sure are a lot of folks out there that feel they've been wronged by HLA and are willing to take it to the mat.  It's going to be very interesting to see how it all shakes out.  Unless of course ORS shuts HLA down before the case is heard, which is a distinct possibility.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2007, 04:00:15 PM »
http://www.thedahloneganugget.com/artic ... %20hla.txt

Hidden Lake class action hangs in balance
By Matt Aiken

To be a class action or not to be a class action? That is the multi-million dollar question which could determine the ultimate fate of Hidden Lake Academy,

With the Camp Wahsega Road boarding school reeling in the wake of a civil lawsuit, that question has yet to be answered by Judge William C. O'Kelley of the United States District Court.

Two weeks earlier the judge set aside an entire day within the walls of the federal courthouse in Gainesville in which to entertain a series of motions involving the pending lawsuit.

On Sept. 11 2006, a civil suit was filed against the school by families of two former students who accused the school and its founder Dr. Len Buccellato of a laundry list of ethical oversights, including the alleged misappropriation of funds, the knowing acceptance of ?violent? and ?disturbed? children and the routine hiring of uncertified teachers.

Since the filing of the suit, HLA's legal team of King & Spalding reported that the school has suffered a large drop in enrollment which has resulted in salary cuts and numerous firings.

?Not to ring the bell too hard,? said defense lawyer Letitia McDonald at the beginning of the hearing. ?This could be a moot issue. The school is teetering for lack of a better word.?  

As the proceeding got under way one half of the courtroom was occupied by a group of parents and potential class action applicants. Many of the parents cast occasional glares at Buccellato and the handful of HLA administrators who sat entrenched on the opposite side of the courtroom.

Amidst it all HLA's legal team argued long and loud against the possible certification while portraying such a suit as the nail in the coffin for a school that was once the fourth largest private employer in Lumpkin County.

?I don't believe I've seen a case where plaintiffs proposed a class action ... on so thin an argument,? said Barry Goheen of King & Spalding.

Much of the agrument revolved around HLA's 70-page parental handbook.

The plaintiffs' legal teams of Gorby, Reeves and Peters have pointed to numerous alleged misleading statements in the handbook that detail the reported services provided at Hidden Lake.

The plaintiffs argued that this handbook included the guarantees, such as certified teachers and non-court ordered students, which convinced many parents to pay the approximate rate of $6,000 monthly tuition.

However, the defense argued that even if such promises are hypothetically untrue, they were not actually included on the parents' signed contract.

?The issue is the plethora of individual issues the handbook brings into the case,? continued Goheen. ?Determining whether each parent read the entire 70-page handbook should be determined on a class-by-class basis.?

O'Kelley seemed to agree with this sentiment.

?You've got to go outside the document [contract] to establish what your expectations were on the part of the parents,? he said. ?And it's very possibly and probably very different for each one of them.?

Merrill Davidoff of the plaintiffs' legal team countered by arguing that such materials are key in a parent's arduous decision to enroll their child in a year-round boarding school.

?I think that the proof will be that somewhere from 97-100 percent had it in front of them and that's enough,? said Davidoff ?They say these are our policies, practices and procedures. I don't know what could be more clear.?

?You pay for a Lincoln Towncar and you get a Ford Pinto,? surmised Davidoff. ?That's what this is.?

?It's still a Ford,? replied O'Kelly.

As the hearing drew to a close the plaintiffs' legal team requested a new period of limited discovery in which to further research the details of the case.

?We really should get some discovery,? said Davidoff, ?before Your Honor makes a precipitous decision to deny the class.?

As of Tuesday morning O'Kelly had yet to officially approve or deny such a request.

?The motion to certify is the one that is the most disturbing, and I have real problems with that,? surmised O'Kelley at the end of the hearing. ?And you obviously saw it because I think I started asking questions about it the very first thing this morning ... and I just have difficulty with that issue.

?But if it requires more discovery, I may set a pattern and allow you to do that, but whatever I do, I want it to be the right thing. And I expect it to be. And I know it will be.?
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline FLCLcowdude

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2007, 04:14:25 PM »
Matt Aiken used to work at HLA...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »
?The motion to certify is the one that is the most disturbing, and I have real problems with that,? surmised O'Kelley at the end of the hearing. ?And you obviously saw it because I think I started asking questions about it the very first thing this morning ... and I just have difficulty with that issue.

?But if it requires more discovery, I may set a pattern and allow you to do that, but whatever I do, I want it to be the right thing. And I expect it to be. And I know it will be.?

What'd I tell you guys? Even a federal judge has problems wrapping his head around this shit.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2007, 06:03:32 PM »
Reading this article is doesn't sound like the judge is too likely to certify.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2007, 12:21:48 AM »
?You pay for a Lincoln Towncar and you get a Ford Pinto,? surmised Davidoff. ?That's what this is.?

?It's still a Ford,? replied O'Kelly.

So is this the judge's logic?:

"You pay for a Therapeutic Boarding School that is supposed to have certified teachers and trained, skilled counselors and you get a TBS (which, by the way, has fought state regulation for years) that has uncertified teachers (some of the teachers aren't even real teachers) and untrained, unskilled counselors," surmises John Doe. "That's what this is."

"It's still a school," - replies the judge.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2007, 07:58:19 AM »
Pretty much. You got a car didn't ya? Does it matter that it's not what you ordered?
I'm not sure what HLA intended with their comment about being the fourth largest employer in Lumpkin Co. Should that somehow weigh on the judge's decision? I can't even find them in the Top 10.

4th Quarter 2005
Lumpkin County- Five Largest Employers
Chestatee Regional Hospital
Mohawk Carpet Corp
North Ga College & University
The Torrington Co
Wal-Mart Associates Inc

Lumpkin Area- Ten Largest Employers
Northeast Ga Medical Center
Fieldale Farms Corp
Pilgrims Pride Corp
Mar-Jac Poultry
K D Acquisition I LLC
Kubota Manufacturing
Wrigley Manufacturing
Brenau College
Wal-Mart Associates
North Ga College & University

The five largest employers in Lumpkin County were
Aladdin Manufacturing Corp
Chestatee Regional Hospital
North Georgia College and State University
TorringtonCompany
Walmart
The ten largest employers in the Lumpkin Area are all located in Hall County, and include
ConAgra Poultry Co.
Cottrell, Inc.
Fieldale FarmsCorp
Gannett Satellite Information Network
Gress Foods LLC
KSLLake Lanier Inc.
Mar-Jac Poultry Inc.
Northeast Georgia Medical Center Inc.
Peachtree Doors & Windows Inc.
WM Wrigley Jr. Co.
http://tinyurl.com/3dk73q
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Look at the wording again Deborah
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2007, 08:17:48 AM »
Look at the wording in this article again Deborah

"was once the fourth largest private employer in Lumpkin County"

It WAS once the fourth largest private employer in Lumpkin Co. I remember seeing the numbers when I lived there. At one time it employed over 200 people, most of whom resided in the county. It doesnt have that status anymore, however. Thats why you can't find it in the top 5 or top 10 now.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2007, 08:36:43 AM »
The statement was probably just another exaggeration and a ploy to get sympathy from the court.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Re: Look at the wording again Deborah
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2007, 09:13:55 AM »
Quote from: ""SH""
Look at the wording in this article again Deborah

"was once the fourth largest private employer in Lumpkin County"

It WAS once the fourth largest private employer in Lumpkin Co. I remember seeing the numbers when I lived there. At one time it employed over 200 people, most of whom resided in the county. It doesnt have that status anymore, however. Thats why you can't find it in the top 5 or top 10 now.

Okay. Can you post anything to substantiate that? The information I posted was for 2005, prior to the lawsuit, which is blamed for the current lower number of employees.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2007, 10:11:49 AM »
I can't post anything to substantiate it, but I can say that when people in the community were protesting MBA being built and there was a debate of sorts with the county commission there, this employment statistic was given and it was cooberated by members of the county commission.  I am pretty sure it is true.  They did have close to, or maybe even over, 200 employees at one time.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
that wasnt me
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2007, 05:56:17 PM »
Well that last post wasnt me, but no, I cant substantiate that. The timeframe I am talking about was around 2001 or 2002 or so, when they had over 200 employees. I have no idea how many employees they had between Ridge Creek and HLA in 2005. I remember them getting the road paved back in 1998 or 1999 because it was proven that they were either number 4 or number 5 in number of employees in the county and the road was owned by the county and they were refusing to pave it for awhile even though they were paving private roads in other areas of the county. They won their case and got the road paved. In 2005 with some new industry coming in its quite possible by then it had already dwindled to number 10 or 11.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2007, 06:01:23 PM »
And where did most of the employees come from?

Out of State...That was also an argument with MBA.