Author Topic: The Who  (Read 640126 times)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
The Who
« Reply #450 on: January 11, 2007, 04:37:09 PM »
Quote from: ""Anne Bonney""
Quote from: ""TheWho""
Quote from: ""Nihilanthic""
Fences where?

At ASR.  There are schools that have fences around them to keep kids from running (actually my highschool had a fence around it).  But ASR doesnt.  The kids can leave anytime they want to there is no isolation or coercion.  Its a TBS, not a boot camp.

So then every kid wants to and completely agrees to be there with no pressure from an 'intake' or 'exit plan'?  What would happen if they said they'd had enough and were leaving?

Run away more than once or break the rules and you are out on your butt.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
The Who
« Reply #451 on: January 11, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
As far as isolation and Coersion.  I have never supported this.

You're saying with a completely straight face that there is no isolation and coersion at ASR?  Seriously?
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
The Who
« Reply #452 on: January 11, 2007, 04:38:30 PM »
I never said I felt attacked, but you did turn things around. You made this about me, and fences, when it was never about either.

Yes, fences can isolate people by containment, but a lack of fences is NOT a lack of isolation.

I am not drinking caffeine, but I do love how you imply you're not attacking me then do so by implication that I am overly caffinated.

What I'm wondering is why you keep shifting, dodging, and pulling nonsense instead of actually proving what you say!

You are the one who went off on the ASR/Fence tangent and try to derail the thread, yet again. First its semantic and saying that a TBS is a place that educates and teaches another way and does not use coersion, yet, programs work by coersion and isolation...

So, wtf, Who?
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
The Who
« Reply #453 on: January 11, 2007, 04:39:30 PM »

And then what happens?  What is their understanding of what will happen to them if they get kicked out?

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
The Who
« Reply #454 on: January 11, 2007, 04:48:50 PM »
Quote from: ""Nihilanthic""
I never said I felt attacked, but you did turn things around. You made this about me, and fences, when it was never about either.

Yes, fences can isolate people by containment, but a lack of fences is NOT a lack of isolation.

I am not drinking caffeine, but I do love how you imply you're not attacking me then do so by implication that I am overly caffinated.

What I'm wondering is why you keep shifting, dodging, and pulling nonsense instead of actually proving what you say!

You are the one who went off on the ASR/Fence tangent and try to derail the thread, yet again. First its semantic and saying that a TBS is a place that educates and teaches another way and does not use coersion, yet, programs work by coersion and isolation...

So, wtf, Who?

Again if you look back you will see you had a recollection of a debate we had over isolation and I mentioned I had one about fences.  Why is mine side tracking and yours is not, because you said it first?  Very sensitive, Niles.
To answer your question, simple.  They don?t use coercion and isolation.  That has been my point all along is not all programs are alike, you seem to be stuck there.  As long as you are you wont be able to move forward.  Places change and grow, try to keep up.  They are not all like Straight in the 70?s.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 04:56:49 PM by Guest »

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
The Who
« Reply #455 on: January 11, 2007, 04:54:26 PM »
Cindy can you back up any of the claims you have made on here in the past week? I realize you're a moron but this is just a yes or no question.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
The Who
« Reply #456 on: January 11, 2007, 04:55:36 PM »

And then what happens?  What is their understanding of what will happen to them if they get kicked out?

Probably be in a lot of trouble.  A kid in my highschool was kicked out for spray painting his locker and his parents went sideways on him.  Lost his car, spent a year in public school, cut his hair.  So I would expect the same or worse.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
The Who
« Reply #457 on: January 11, 2007, 04:56:43 PM »
To answer your question, simple.  They don?t use coercion and isolation.  That has been my point all along is not all programs are alike, you seem to be stuck there.  As long as you are you wont be able to move forward.  Places change and grow, I want you to keep up.  They are not all like Straight in the 70?s.

Any other Straight or WWASP vets lurking out there?  What's this sound like to you?

http://www.swiftriver.com/personal_growth.htm

The Academy at Swift River is a 16-19 month long program with an average length of stay of 16 months. During our therapeutic boarding school residential program students progress in their daily academic classes and study halls, participate in Focus Groups, and complete an extensive four-part series of academic, social, personal growth, and family seminars. Students are challenged on a daily basis to raise their standards of academic and personal growth, to receive positive peer/faculty reinforcement, and to identify and develop their true self as it relates to peers, family, and community. We also have a Service Learning component in which the students work together in giving back to our communities.

During the final phase of our program, our graduates return to their families and communities, enter schools and colleges, and are more aware, sensitive, forgiving and loving than many of the people they will encounter. Alumni Services supports our graduates and their families as they translate their ideals and values into actions and goals in the community in which they live, be it home, school, or workplace. Nothing is more crucial to a graduate?s success than the transition from the safe, structured environment of ASR to the challenging, often lonely and sometimes hostile world. During this transition it is reassuring to have regular contact with someone who knows the graduate?s history, accomplishments, and aspirations, and can encourage them during times of doubt and hesitation.

http://www.swiftriver.com/student_profile.htm

Students at The Academy at Swift River therapeutic boarding school in Mass have a great deal in common. They tend to be very bright, creative, powerful and loving young men and women.

At the time of admission, however, these are not the descriptors that many would use to characterize them. Instead, they are typically seen as underachieving, impulsive, and oppositional and defiant. Many of our students begin their journey at Swift River possessing a low self-esteem, making poor decisions, lacking a direction in life, and not understanding the negative impact that they are having on their family and friends. Additionally, many of our students have experimented with drugs and/or alcohol, been sexually promiscuous, are acting out at home and in the classroom, and have shown decreasing respect for themselves and others. These students are also making poor choices of peers and have become unresponsive to authority figures.

Academically, our students are not reaching their full potential in the classroom, and are often discouraged by learning differences that have never been successfully addressed.

Many of our students have been adopted or gone through a family divorce. It is also not uncommon for our students to have experienced a death or other tragic event in their life.

Our student profile:

*  Co-ed Ages 14-17, grades 9 ? 12
    *  Minimum full scale IQ 95
    *  College oriented
    *  Emotional and behavioral disturbances
    *  Anxiety disorders including post-traumatic stress disorder
    *  Defiant and/or rebellious
    *  Mild to moderate mood disorders
    *  Academic underachievement and/or school avoidance
    *  Attention disorders
    *  Low self-esteem
    *  Adoption related issues
    *  Unresolved grief reactions including parental divorce
    *  Substance abuse

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
The Who
« Reply #458 on: January 11, 2007, 04:58:20 PM »

Probably be in a lot of trouble.  A kid in my highschool was kicked out for spray painting his locker and his parents went sideways on him.  Lost his car, spent a year in public school, cut his hair.  So I would expect the same or worse.

Jesus Christ this is like pulling teeth.   :roll:

What would have happened had your daughter decided to leave?  How would you and the school have reacted if she had said it was bullshit and she was outta there?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Who
« Reply #459 on: January 11, 2007, 04:59:14 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Who
« Reply #460 on: January 11, 2007, 05:00:34 PM »
Straight in the fuckin' 80's was pretty bad there too, Who.. :roll:

Damn I'm high... too high to bother trying to understand this thread, anyway. :lol:

Who, when's the last time you smoked something good?  :question:

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
The Who
« Reply #461 on: January 11, 2007, 05:01:50 PM »
Quote from: ""Toke-io""
Straight in the fuckin' 80's was pretty bad there too, Who.. :roll:

Damn I'm high... too high to bother trying to understand this thread, anyway. :lol:

Who, when's the last time you smoked something good?  :question:

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

:smokin:  ::bandit::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Who
« Reply #462 on: January 11, 2007, 05:03:19 PM »
Howdy ma'am!  ::bwahaha::  :smokin:

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
The Who
« Reply #463 on: January 11, 2007, 05:04:56 PM »
:D

Getting ready to blaze away myself.  Been a long day, my eyes are tired.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
The Who
« Reply #464 on: January 11, 2007, 05:07:59 PM »

Jesus Christ this is like pulling teeth.   :roll:

What would have happened had your daughter decided to leave?  How would you and the school have reacted if she had said it was bullshit and she was outta there?

Talk to her, her counselor and the school and determine the next best step.  It would not be a happy time for any of us.