Author Topic: FIFA World Cup(it's goin' on right now in Germany!!)  (Read 4245 times)

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup(it's goin' on right now in Germany!!)
« on: June 10, 2006, 03:02:00 PM »
Hey, just been enjoyin' the football.  Yesterday I watched Germany defeat Costa Rica by a score of 4-2.  and then I watched Ecuador outplay and upset Poland 2-0.  This mornin' I seen England, led by David Beckham beat Paraguay 1-0.  Just now I watched Trinidad and Tobago(they have a combined team and are the smallest country to ever qualify for the tournament.  This is their first appearance) play the heavily favored Sweeden to a scoreless draw.  

I love to watch the competition when it reaches this level.  These are the best footballers in the world playin the worlds most popular game,  so there is some serious talent on the pitch!  

I also enjoy the international aspect of the tournament.  I mean when you win the world cup then you really are a world champion.

Anyway some of observations to this point:

*Germany's good

*Ecuador is fast and tenacious and plays their hearts to win.  I like 'em.

*England played well enough to win but wasn't really impressive, as a team.  This is the first time I've seen Beckham play and I could understand the power of his skill.  He is in total control when he touches the ball.  He scored the games only goal on a free kick that was so deceptively kicked that the defender misjudged it's  arc and velocity and headed the ball into his own net.  That's my take on how it happened anyway.

*Sweeden didn't play as well as expected and Trinidad and Tobago fought them off and held them to a scoreless tie thanx to some balls out goal-tendin' by their keeper, Hislop.

Anyhow, I had a few more remarks I wanted to make but I think the next game is on right now! I'll have to come back later.  

Hey! anybody else follow the world cup ??
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline dniceo7

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 10:43:00 AM »
Hell yeah I follow the World Cup!! I've been waiting for this tournament since all of us on our soccer team at BCA (an ex-CEDU school) watched the agonizing yet very impressive loss to Germany 4 years ago. Obviously I'm pulling for the States, but I gotta say, I'm all about these African teams like Togo, Ghana, Angola, and the Ivory Coast. Those guys are vicious, they play with so much heart, I love it.

That England vs. Paraguay game was a hell of a game, but damn it's always depressing to watch a team lose on an own goal, especially off of someone's head. Hopefully Paraguay pulls through to the next round so Carlos Gamarra doesn't become the next Escobar when he gets home.

Portugal vs. Angola today, that's gonna be a good one.
I don\'t look at myself in the mirror because I\'m a narcissist, I simply like to watch myself exist...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 03:18:00 PM »
All I gotta say is WOW what happened to our boys today?!?

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 11:52:00 PM »
Yeah, rough day on the pitch.  Couldn't seem to get it together .....ever.  Czechs are good though.  No doubt.  They made no mistakes on defense. U.S. was laggin all day.  We only had about 2 or 3 decent shots.  More than enough blown opportunities to at least put the ball in the net once or twice but just could. not. get. it. to-geth-er. at. all.  Reyna did have that one shot that hit the post.

'Sup dniceo7.  Rough day...

So Brazil is ranked #1, followed by the Czech Republic(#2), Mexico #3, Germany #4, and the U.S. #5.  Is that about right ??

Soccer has changed in the last few years.  Back in my day  ::bandit::  ::dove::
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 07:15:00 AM »
I think there is a socio-cultural reason why Americans don't fare as well in international soccer. What is it, though? We don't seem to have the same gusto.

Offline dniceo7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 11:54:00 AM »
That was back in the day, the US team is respectable now. Can't let a loss to the Czech's get you thinking we don't have gusto, Nedved and those guys are just a bunch of straight up ballers. Personally, the Czech's are my pick to win it all.

Yeah, Saturday I believe is our match with the Italians. We'll be heading down to Boston's North End to watch that one (Boston's Italian hotspot), should be absolutely insane. I'd have to say it's win or be eliminated for us. If we lose to Italy, then it's on Ghana to beat the Czech's, and I don't really see that happening. But I really think we can beat Italy!
I don\'t look at myself in the mirror because I\'m a narcissist, I simply like to watch myself exist...

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 09:22:00 AM »
Well...we'll have to come out gunnin' hard today!!  I don't really know how good of a team Italy has, but I guess it don't really matter since we've got to take down whoever comes our way.  So let's kick some Italian ass!  I'd really love to see Claudio Reyna rip the corner of the net from 35' out.  When I played I always enjoyed rippin' the net from a long ways off.  Enjoy the games everyone.  Have fun down in the Italian quarter dniceo7.  World Cup soccer...Let's get it!!!    ::bandit::  :skull:

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 01:39:00 PM »
YEAH!!! 2-0 Ghana!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 02:30:00 PM »
my friend and neighbor, whose been watchin the matches with me, says: USA 2 - Italy nil. :cool:

Offline dniceo7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »
I agree, when I'm playing soccer there's nothing better than puttin' one upper 90 from outside the box, such a satisfying feeling. The US looked damn good today, played real hard up until about the 75th minute when the Italians took over...thank God Keller is a baller in the net. But damn, what the hell is the deal with Beasley? He was the man 4 years ago, this year he plays like shit against the Czech's and then stands there offsides and costs us the win against the Italians. Killin' me! Should be a hell of a match against Ghana, though...shit's getting interesting!!

It was absolutely nuts in the North End, best place I've ever watched a World Cup game. Except in person of course, at the old Foxborough Stadium in '94, Round of 16 Nigeria vs. Italy.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 10:47:00 PM »
Where'd you see the game?I lived on Salem Street, parallel to Hanover. Miss it terribly.

Offline dniceo7

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 09:07:00 PM »
I honestly don't remember the name of the spot, it was on Prince Street about a block East from Hanover. Nice little place, the whole front wall was wide open to the street so there was a big crowd out front smoking and cheering for the Italians. All the US fans had gotten there early and locked up tables near the TV's, so we were pretty much surrounded by Italians. Fortunately soccer's a game of class...I was half expecting it to turn into something like a Sox vs. Yanks game at Cask n' Flaggon when the red cards started flying.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 11:34:00 PM »
U.S. better put it in the net tomorrow!!  Ghana will be tougher than they think.  I won't be able to watch the game 'cause I gotta work.  Major drag. ::dove::

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 03:53:00 PM »
...ugh!!   ::stab::

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 12:07:00 PM »
C'mon, ya'll haven't lost interest just 'cause the U.S. has been eliminated have you ??

I'm watchin' Ghana and Brasil.  Right now it's halftime.  Ghana is down 2-0 but they are playing aggressively and I hope they come back.  I would love to see them knock Brasil out!