Author Topic: What do we do now.  (Read 1646 times)

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
What do we do now.
« on: April 14, 2006, 02:55:00 PM »
The fight against the Behvaiour modification industry has been going on for thirty years or more with little to show for it.
The damage that these places do is well known, there in massive amounts of information available for the casual browser, let alone the concerned parent. The number of authoritative academic articles that condemn these places continues to grow apace, we have prime time TV coverage and the attention of the main stream media.
So the public have been informed. They know the truth (and I don't by the 'I didn't know' excuse for a second.)
Then we look to the law. There is no pending legislation that covers this topic except the Miller act, unfortunately that's been waylaid in the comittee for Africa and international human rights where it will languish until it dies.
The attorney general refuses to investigate, Bush enacts legislation to make matters worse.

So we have the situation, the public knows the truth, the government knows the truth and for some strange reason  no one seems to care. The industry is growing by 25 percent a year and shows no sign of slowing, WWASPS are opening up new academies and signing up more children and this year their after tax profits will exceed ninety two million dollars.

We are losing laides and gentlemen, the situation is getting worse and we're running out of ideas.
What do we try now?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What do we do now.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 03:31:00 PM »
In my opinion, the public does not know as much as we think they do. Over the past few years I have approached literally hundreds, or more, people about this issue. Out of all of those people, literally only a handful of them knew anything about this industry. And I mean nothing. That is what frightens me most.

The people who did know something were ones where a child had died in a facility that they heard about on their local news. They don't, however, understand the industry, they don't know what we know. Because we are so involved, because we study this daily, because we are passionate, because we read every article that comes out, because we see every single show that comes out about this - we know! They don't.

Think about shows like 48-hours, Montel, and so on. They come on once or twice and that?s it. We need more. We need a movie that hits the big screen, one that people can rent from their video store and that they can buy. One like the French documentary that is coming out. That, folks, would be great as a big-screen movie.

We need to get the word out to the public. Having informational websites is a useful tool because the more people link from one site to the other the more hits that will show up when parents are searching for help for their kids.

Parents need to find advocate sites, they need to see there is another side to this story. They are being fed lies and promises. Promises that are not kept. I suppose if you want your kid to be tormented then you would buy into it knowingly, but most parents don?t want that. They?re looking for help for their child, not for someone to abuse or kill their child. Really, think about it.

Working together is another positive tool. I find too many people who are supposedly trying to fight against this industry bickering amongst themselves and trashing others when they should all work together.

The arts is another tool. Plays, songs, poems, videos - why can't kids go to their high school professors and propose they do their video production project on this topic? Our high school is considering it. College students are writing papers about this, so when they do, and others read them, they become educated about the industry.

The very important thing that people need to know is that this is very much a for-profit industry, they are misleading, and they do not provide to parents what they promise. Their idea of "tough love" is "tough" - they forget all about the love. People need to understand that.

Anyway, those are just a few suggestions. Being logical and level-headed is important as well. Working with our own local legislators, trying to get local attention, trying to write articles for newspapers, magazines, etc., is another good tool. Writing books, what about pamphlets that are handed out at doctor's offices? Pediatrician's offices would be a good start.

Our government? Now that's a whole 'nother ball of wax that I can't even beging to cover here, nor to fully comprehend. Other than $$$$. And the fact some people think they're doing society a favor, getting punks off the streets. Little do they know most kids who go to these programs are normal kids. Teens in general are a pain at times, we all were. That doesn't mean they should be locked up and tortured. Ya, there are some who do bad things. But there are plenty of adults who do a whole lot worse. No one is able to hire thugs to abduct them and lock them up with no due process.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What do we do now.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 03:49:00 PM »
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... t=0#188145

My parents are pretty liberal, and they sent me to CEDU because they were ineffective, emotionally negligent parents. I wasn't "on drugs"; I never committed any criminal activity--not even petty theft. But I suffered from depression, low self esteem, and was a truant. I loved learning but couldn't get myself to stay in school. I didn't really do anything bad per se. In addition, a few traumatic things happened that made it worse.

CEDU was a place our family therapist recommended. (Even I was begging for help at this point.) It looked good on the brochures: bucolic, mountain setting.

My parents honestly thought they were sending me to a safe, loving environment to get the help I needed in a structured environment. It's just that we all got sucked into the machine once I stepped foot on the grounds--the lies and manipulation.

They went in with the best intentions--they felt like failures as parents and were searching for an alternative.

On paper, it all looked good.

And even though I wasn't one of those kids who lied all the time (I was the type who snuck out a lot--but I always left notes), CEDU would manipulate parents to see their children as liars in an effort to maintain control. Fairly quickly, I realized not to bother explaining the program's defects, because CEDU (who monitored contact and isolated you) painted you as a liar out to manipulate parents.

Still, we all drank the Kool Aid--I did, too. My parents had teh best intentions, and the truth is, there isn't a lot of public awareness about these programs. Now, when I watch some dumb show on TV, where the kid is sent to a TBS and returns "cured", it makes me ill. (Where I went, a lot of Hollywood celebrities sent their kids to the same TBS I went to.)

I can't say I blame my parents. I'm more upset by the total lack of public awareness of this issue. I think the key is to bring it out into the forefront in every way imaginable--through books, dramatizations, and news reporting. And to re-educate ed cons.

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
What do we do now.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 04:11:00 PM »
I think you have a point there. this issue has never been fictionalised and has never been brought to a mass audience (although imho anyone who sends their kids away to a place like TB without doing stringent research first should be sterilised imho)
I agree something like a true story movie would be a useful tool but I always felt that a movie would be impossible to write without trivialising the issue.
The next question to ask is "where will the finance come from?"
[ This Message was edited by: MightyAardvark on 2006-04-14 13:13 ]
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What do we do now.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 07:44:00 PM »
On 2006-04-14 13:11:00, MightyAardvark wrote:

"I think you have a point there. this issue has never been fictionalised and has never been brought to a mass audience (although imho anyone who sends their kids away to a place like TB without doing stringent research first should be sterilised imho)

I agree something like a true story movie would be a useful tool but I always felt that a movie would be impossible to write without trivialising the issue.

[ This Message was edited by: MightyAardvark on 2006-04-14 13:13 ]"

Sorry to contradict you, MA, but this issue is fictionalized every day right here on Fornits. And you buy into it with little or no real knowledge, no authentic experience. Maybe you're a rebel, just looking for a cause.

What trivializes this whole thing is people who lump all programs together, assume they're all bad, and rant and rave about it. Of COURSE no one takes it seriously!

In the meantime, there may be truly awful programs still operating, but how can anyone know? The brush is too broad, the whole thing diluted by the drama and crusading.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What do we do now.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 07:45:00 PM »
The people who run and send kids away to abusive programs think there will never be an retribution. Karma can be a bitch!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What do we do now.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 07:49:00 PM »
what kind of retribution are you considering?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What do we do now.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 08:02:00 PM »
me?...... nothing.  :lol:  :lol: I am saying if you fuck over tens of thousands of kids... something is BOUND to happen eventually. I am a firm believer in Karma. As far as me, I am making a shitload of bootleg copies of a certain documentary to pass around. Any other suggestions?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What do we do now.
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 08:15:00 PM »
On 2006-04-14 16:44:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-04-14 13:11:00, MightyAardvark wrote:

"I think you have a point there. this issue has never been fictionalised and has never been brought to a mass audience (although imho anyone who sends their kids away to a place like TB without doing stringent research first should be sterilised imho)

[ This Message was edited by: MightyAardvark on 2006-04-14 13:13 ]"

Sorry to contradict you, MA, but this issue is fictionalized every day right here on Fornits. And you buy into it with little or no real knowledge, no authentic experience. Maybe you're a rebel, just looking for a cause.

What trivializes this whole thing is people who lump all programs together, assume they're all bad, and rant and rave about it. Of COURSE no one takes it seriously!

In the meantime, there may be truly awful programs still operating, but how can anyone know? The brush is too broad, the whole thing diluted by the drama and crusading. "

There are only about 12 program threads here? Out of how many programs in the united states, thousands? So your argument seems somewhat like a lost cause. My guess is you disagree with the Carlbrook thread being here. Why don't you say what programs you think are good and which ones are bad instead of discounting the entire website.  Although crude, this website is the best guage out there for abusive programs. WWASP had to eventually get its own thread because the bigger they got, the more abuse allegations that popped up. Now theres over a thousand kids over at myspace belonging to anti-wwasp groups. If a program name shows up here once or twice, it would be cause for concern. But if the program shows up here over and over by different people, I would be seriously worried!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What do we do now.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 08:15:00 PM »
I didnt mean to make that first sentence a question, long day.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What do we do now.
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 08:23:00 PM »

Well... I don't think Fornits is the reason why these facilities are growing faster than ever, and not being investigated. Any awareness at all among the general public would be a good thing at this point (remember the short lived outrage over the death of the florida boy). I just don't think people have the time to care. This is one more issue among hundreds of others. Genocide, hunger, poverty, sexual predators, etc... It's like any other cause, there are a small group of people who were directly effected by it in a negative way and have the motivation to do something about it. Of course it's a tough fight, because common knowledge goes against what we are saying. We watched a decade of daytime talk shows sending kids off to boot camp if they misbehaived, with the audience cheering the whole way. I think if more people knew about the abuse and deaths and mental abuse that occurs, there would be much more ranting and raving about it, and not just at fornits. Or would they? It says a lot about our culture.

Offline emaree

• View Profile
What do we do now.
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »
"Sorry to contradict you, MA, but this issue is fictionalized every day right here on Fornits. And you buy into it with little or no real knowledge, no authentic experience. Maybe you're a rebel, just looking for a cause.

In the meantime, there may be truly awful programs still operating, but how can anyone know? The brush is too broad, the whole thing diluted by the drama and crusading."

I think you should just shut the hell up and enroll yourself in whatever program you see fit. Don't waste our time talking out of your ass and insulting people who have suffered enough to want to make a difference.
----

\"They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. They should say evil prevails.\"
Lord Of War