Author Topic: hyde is great  (Read 34573 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2007, 11:51:39 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I did not say acceptable.  Scientology works for some people.  I would personally find it unacceptable. Power to Tom Cruise. L.Ron seems to work for him.

Emil

Didn't work so well for Lisa McPherson.  If it kills people, it's unacceptable.  Scientology is a destructive cult.  So are the programs.

The process of confrontation degradation and rebuilding is a common tool. It is like a "come to Jesus" process or enbracing a 12 step program. "I once was lost and now I'm found" to quote the hymn. If you don't think you are lost Hyde will convince you otherwise. I am not sure the consequnces of the latter are considered in all cases and at times become a ego driven contest of the will.

Yes, it is a common tool.  In fact it's the most crucial tool.  It's also the most damaging.

Christian martyrdom was a big fad for a miilemium or so.  Is Jesus bad?  Christ Science allows no medicine,  Jehovah Witnesses no trasfusions.  This is all personal choice.  You follow L. Ron no shrinks no prozac.

Emil
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2007, 12:11:30 PM »
Christian martyrdom was a big fad for a miilemium or so.  Is Jesus bad?  Christ Science allows no medicine,  Jehovah Witnesses no trasfusions.  This is all personal choice.  You follow L. Ron no shrinks no prozac.

Emil

Where is the kids' choice?  This isn't a religion that they've been raised with.  This is forced *treatment*.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2007, 12:38:21 PM »

Emil

Where is the kids' choice?  This isn't a religion that they've been raised with.  This is forced *treatment*.

If you are a kid, you have a hobson's choice.

Emil

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2007, 12:41:08 PM »

Emil

Emil

And that's acceptable by your standards?

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2007, 01:47:10 PM »
Is Jesus bad?
Emil

I don't know.  I never met the guy, but his followers sure are nuts.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2007, 01:59:43 PM »

Emil

Emil

MMMMM

At the risk of being labeled a liberal democrat, I would have to give you an neuanced answer.   Parents have a wide range of altatude over thier children.   Children of Church of Christ Science parents can end up dead before courts can intervine to save them.  MY wife does social service work for a living.  She was told me about a methode baby the other day.  This child was the second drug addicted child from the same drug addicted mother, who for a second time walking into a hospital to deliever her child and walk out with out it.  No legal sanctions, nothing.  Personally I would like to see the women hung by the neck until dead in a public square.  
 So in the scale of things being born drug addicted, being alowed to die from a curable condition and being swent to Hyde .... well it is not too bad. When I was there the ratio of staff to students was such that you could fly under the radar.  Not every one gets the what I call for the sake of discusion, the full treatment.  I recall some that did and did not respond weel to it.  I recall some that responded well to it and went on to lead screwed up lives.  some left hyde and thrived and are still conected to it.  Some thrive and never lok back.
  I had a chat with Joe a couple of years ago. joe said "how come you did not send your kids to Hyde"  I said it was because I did not make enought money.  I was thinking something else.

Emil Nightrate

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2007, 02:18:40 PM »

Emil

Emil

Hey and to make that just a little more ambiguous, let me say that I am happy that went to Hyde.

Emil

MMMMM

At the risk of being labeled a liberal democrat, I would have to give you an neuanced answer.   Parents have a wide range of altatude over thier children.   Children of Church of Christ Science parents can end up dead before courts can intervine to save them.  MY wife does social service work for a living.  She was told me about a methode baby the other day.  This child was the second drug addicted child from the same drug addicted mother, who for a second time walking into a hospital to deliever her child and walk out with out it.  No legal sanctions, nothing.  Personally I would like to see the women hung by the neck until dead in a public square.  
 So in the scale of things being born drug addicted, being alowed to die from a curable condition and being swent to Hyde .... well it is not too bad. When I was there the ratio of staff to students was such that you could fly under the radar.  Not every one gets the what I call for the sake of discusion, the full treatment.  I recall some that did and did not respond weel to it.  I recall some that responded well to it and went on to lead screwed up lives.  some left hyde and thrived and are still conected to it.  Some thrive and never lok back.
  I had a chat with Joe a couple of years ago. joe said "how come you did not send your kids to Hyde"  I said it was because I did not make enought money.  I was thinking something else.

Emil Nightrate

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2007, 03:12:15 PM »
Hey and to make that just a little more ambiguous, let me say that I am happy that went to Hyde.[/quote]

That's original. Why are you happy you went to Hyde?

I enjoyed summer nights with Nancy Hart; a canoe trip to Moosehead Lake, with some surprise whitewater canoeing, and a moose watching us from the bluff; lobster at Montsweag Farms; interviewing local fisherman and the like for the school newspaper with Raul Sanchez and never writing the articles but getting fed lots of goodies; a day-long hike with buddies Raul, Todd Davis, and Craig McGill to a swimming-hole fed by a stream, with a laddered sluice full of eels; pizza with Jan Holland at a pizza joint down the hill near the river; the countryside in general.

But academically and emotionally, those were wasted years.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2007, 05:00:47 PM »
Hey and to make that just a little more ambiguous, let me say that I am happy that went to Hyde.

I enjoyed summer nights with Nancy Hart; a canoe trip to Moosehead Lake, with some surprise whitewater canoeing, and a moose watching us from the bluff; lobster at Montsweag Farms; interviewing local fisherman and the like for the school newspaper with Raul Sanchez and never writing the articles but getting fed lots of goodies; a day-long hike with buddies Raul, Todd Davis, and Craig McGill to a swimming-hole fed by a stream, with a laddered sluice full of eels; pizza with Jan Holland at a pizza joint down the hill near the river; the countryside in general.

But academically and emotionally, those were wasted years.[/quote]

Thanks I try to be original.   Jan Holland.  MMMMM  I remember Jan.  Jan is dead I hear. I had an awlful jones for her. She knew it and was merciless to me. I remember her and Kathy Lampias hanging around together.  Funny I was tring to remember Todd Davis' name.  He went into the AF.  I remember Craig and his sister.  Todd taught me the words endomorph and ectomorph. Todd was an ectomorph with curly hair.

I was pretty screwed up as a teenager -  young adult.  Having my Mom send me was probably the best thing he could do at the time. I went to a shrink and I just got worse. Going to Hyde arrested my spiral.  My family situation was dysfunctional, as they say these days.  As you know it you don't succeed at hyde it is because _you_ failed. There is a tautology for you.  I told my mother that Hyde was fund raising and was asking me for money "Don't give them a dime. You don't own them a thing." she said.  Then there was that incident with a certain highly respected figure at Hyde which she was too proper to mention that I think colored her memories of the old Blue and Gold.  I heard about it second hand from my class mates "Hey did you hear about your mom and *******" I was non-plused. She was not impressed.  I am just glad Gigi is not my step sister.

I kind of coasted along no one really noticed me or really thought about confronting my attitide as it was called in those days.  I think many of the things that were good for me in the long run were unitended consequences of the school not a direct result of some didactic intent on Hydes part.

The kind of things you are alluding to are the things that I love about that time. Sound like you went on the canon trip with Tom Terriffic.  I can barely remeber Raul or Nancy.  Can you describe them.

Emil Nightrate

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2007, 06:29:26 PM »

Thanks I try to be original.   Jan Holland.  MMMMM  I remember Jan.  Jan is dead I hear. I had an awlful jones for her. She knew it and was merciless to me. I remember her and Kathy Lampias hanging around together.  Funny I was tring to remember Todd Davis' name.  He went into the AF.  I remember Craig and his sister.  Todd taught me the words endomorph and ectomorph. Todd was an ectomorph with curly hair.

I was pretty screwed up as a teenager -  young adult.  Having my Mom send me was probably the best thing he could do at the time. I went to a shrink and I just got worse. Going to Hyde arrested my spiral.  My family situation was dysfunctional, as they say these days.  As you know it you don't succeed at hyde it is because _you_ failed. There is a tautology for you.  I told my mother that Hyde was fund raising and was asking me for money "Don't give them a dime. You don't own them a thing." she said.  Then there was that incident with a certain highly respected figure at Hyde which she was too proper to mention that I think colored her memories of the old Blue and Gold.  I heard about it second hand from my class mates "Hey did you hear about your mom and *******" I was non-plused. She was not impressed.  I am just glad Gigi is not my step sister.

I kind of coasted along no one really noticed me or really thought about confronting my attitide as it was called in those days.  I think many of the things that were good for me in the long run were unitended consequences of the school not a direct result of some didactic intent on Hydes part.

The kind of things you are alluding to are the things that I love about that time. Sound like you went on the canon trip with Tom Terriffic.  I can barely remeber Raul or Nancy.  Can you describe them.

Emil Nightrate[/quote]

I'm sorry to hear that about Jan. I remember her as being mature beyond her years, and guarding a secret under that mysterious smile. Kathy Lampias would join us for pizza. Kathy had a sharp tongue, and knew how to use it. She was merciful to me, though, I suppose because she had been Nancy Hart's roommate. Nancy was a cute blonde from London, a self-styled wild child who ran away early in the school year, so I'm not surprised you don't remember her. Tom Lynch was on the canoe trip, and my roommate in off-campus housing (have you nailed me down yet?). I don't think any of the others I mentioned --- Raul Sanchez, Todd Davis, Craig McGill --- finished out their senior year. We were all there "under protest."

I emerged from a situation of child abuse into, well, a situation of child abuse. At least that's how I would describe "Mr. Gauld's" totally berserk slapping and terrorizing of a girl for not having sufficient personality, in his opinion. I developed a strong aversion for him on the spot, along with anyone else who was a part of that system. I have it on good authority (victims' own testimony) that such incidents were not infrequent at Hyde, if not so brazenly public.

As you said, the good times were all off program, and they were very, very good times. But, unfortunately, there was a tradeoff.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2007, 08:06:44 PM »
I am sorry to hear about Jan!  How did she die?  From what I recall, she let it be known that males were of no interest to her... but that may have just been part of the tease (of both males and females)!   :wink:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2007, 08:00:36 AM »

Emil Nightrate

I'm sorry to hear that about Jan. I remember her as being mature beyond her years, and guarding a secret under that mysterious smile. Kathy Lampias would join us for pizza. Kathy had a sharp tongue, and knew how to use it. She was merciful to me, though, I suppose because she had been Nancy Hart's roommate. Nancy was a cute blonde from London, a self-styled wild child who ran away early in the school year, so I'm not surprised you don't remember her. Tom Lynch was on the canoe trip, and my roommate in off-campus housing (have you nailed me down yet?). I don't think any of the others I mentioned --- Raul Sanchez, Todd Davis, Craig McGill --- finished out their senior year. We were all there "under protest."

I emerged from a situation of child abuse into, well, a situation of child abuse. At least that's how I would describe "Mr. Gauld's" totally berserk slapping and terrorizing of a girl for not having sufficient personality, in his opinion. I developed a strong aversion for him on the spot, along with anyone else who was a part of that system. I have it on good authority (victims' own testimony) that such incidents were not infrequent at Hyde, if not so brazenly public.

As you said, the good times were all off program, and they were very, very good times. But, unfortunately, there was a tradeoff.[/quote]

Tom Lynch.  I remember Tom.  
So we were in the same summer school.   One of my enduring memories of Joe is the school meeting that summer where Joe for some reason blew a fuse and started to rant. "You people smell like Westbrook! Westbrook! Get you of here. Get out of here. I don't want to smell you any more."  and he was spitting, standing at the edge of the stage and spitting as he spoke.  I will never forget it.  
That was the thing that was freaky about him: you could never tell which way he was going to go.  Was he happy? Was he sad?  Was he angry?  You just could not tell.  He would start one way and then BANG massive mood swing and he would be ranting or crying.
I loved the cartoons that Phil Staples drew of him. He had him nailed in one where he used the coffee machine as a metaphor for Joe. The dials on the machine pegged the machine built up pressure and exploded. Then Joe gets a cup of coffee and sit down on the chair on the stage with the plaid golf pants and bad comb over. Phil was back for the '76 reunion and recieved a diploma.  

Jan died of breast cancer IIRC. The announcement of Jan's death was in the alumni news letter.  It is funny to go back because the disconect between those days and present day is pretty clear. Basically you've got Joe,  Joe's offspring, Hydites that married Joes kids, Francis Murray and John Braun. Every one else is gone from the staff in those days.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2007, 12:09:42 PM »
That is a pretty young age to die of breast cancer, even if very recent; was she genetically predisposed?

BTW, I do believe the correct spelling for her friend's name was Kathy Lampesis (or was it Lampises)?  Sorry, I don't remember.

Does anyone know what happened to Nina Carbone?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2007, 03:34:56 PM »
That is a pretty young age to die of breast cancer, even if very recent; was she genetically predisposed?

BTW, I do believe the correct spelling for her friend's name was Kathy Lampesis (or was it Lampises)?  Sorry, I don't remember.

When did Nina leave?  Did she graduate run away or not come back?  I have a vague memory of her  I went looking for pictures of her and I realized I have forgot more people than I can remember. I recall her as 5'5'' with shorter curly hair.  What a drag it is getting old. I was just looking at a picture of Tod Davis BTW.  I remember he loved the Outlaws' Green Grass and High Times Forever.  
 What was the name for the girl that married Gordon Weaver?

Emil Nightrate

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2007, 06:47:42 PM »

When did Nina leave?  Did she graduate run away or not come back?  I have a vague memory of her  I went looking for pictures of her and I realized I have forgot more people than I can remember. I recall her as 5'5'' with shorter curly hair.  What a drag it is getting old. I was just looking at a picture of Tod Davis BTW.  I remember he loved the Outlaws' Green Grass and High Times Forever.  
 What was the name for the girl that married Gordon Weaver?

Emil Nightrate

Nina had rather long, dark brown hair; yes, slightly curly.  I am not sure if she was there after 1976, as I heard that she got pregnant.  She married Gordon Weaver; they had a little girl.  Someone told me that things were not going well, and then Nina ran her car into a telephone pole, not to survive.  I wasn't sure whether my source was reading more into the accident than was actual.  Does anyone know any more?