Author Topic: ISAC  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
ISAC
« on: February 19, 2006, 04:19:00 PM »
Hey folks, I read a post yesterday (maybe it's still there  ::bangin:: ) saying ISAC doesn't list HLA on their watchlist. Well, you can do something about that.

ISAC just publishes docs and statements as given by people who have had dealings with these places.

While I don't like to recomend anyone making any commital public moves w/o careful consideration, many of you have had time to get pretty settled in your minds and it might be a very good idea for you to go ahead and make a statement to ISAC so they can list HLA.

Not only might it be good for people considering HLA as a placement for their kid, it might help counter the unbalanced perception that Straight, Inc was the worst of the worst. Having had a bit of contact w/ ppl who went through other programs, I'm convinced that it wasn't the worst. It's just that there are so damned many of us that it's easy to make contact and get the information out there. [ This Message was edited by: Eudora on 2006-02-20 08:54 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Guest 2

• View Profile
HLA Listed on ISAC!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 12:12:00 PM »
Quote from: ""Eudora""
Hey folks, I read a post yesterday (maybe it's still there  ::bangin:: ) saying ISAC doesn't list HLA on their watchlist. Well, you can do something about that.

ISAC just publishes docs and statements as given by people who have had dealings with these places.

While I don't like to recomend anyone making any commital public moves w/o careful consideration, many of you have had time to get pretty settled in your minds and it might be a very good idea for you to go ahead and make a statement to ISAC so they can list HLA.

Not only might it be good for people considering HLA as a placement for their kid, it might help counter the unbalanced perception that Straight, Inc was the worst of the worst. Having had a bit of contact w/ ppl who went through other programs, I'm convinced that it wasn't the worst. It's just that there are so damned many of us that it's easy to make contact and get the information out there. [ This Message was edited by: Eudora on 2006-02-20 08:54 ]

HLA is now listed on ISAC's Watch List!!!

http://www.isaccorp.org/watchlist.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ISAC
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 06:08:11 PM »
Does a school ever get off this watch list?

Wonders SHH.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
ISAC
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 08:56:07 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Does a school ever get off this watch list?

Wonders SHH.

I would hope not. People need to know the history of programs. I view ISAC as a Consumer Reports for programs. A place where parents can find information they won't get from the program, the licensing agency, the Ed Con. ISAC provides a valuable service that is sorely needed in the industry.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ISAC
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 09:57:54 PM »
Well I meant if a school was shown to have improved their issues....gotten a clean bill of health so to speak....would they be removed...was just wondering.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
ISAC
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 10:00:34 PM »
I don't know ISACs policy, SHH. Ask them.
If I had a say, the answer would be no, they aren't removed, their history remains public, for the reasons I previously stated.
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ISAC
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 09:05:03 AM »
Well, my thinking on this would be, say for example, the school totally changes hands....most staff are new, qualified, and have good credentials, facilities are renovated, etc.....wouldnt leaving them on the watch list be unfair? since they arent the ones that caused it to get on the list to start with? Just a thought.

SHH

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I don't think so.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 10:05:00 AM »
Well, my thinking on this would be, say for example, the school totally changes hands....most staff are new, qualified, and have good credentials, facilities are renovated, etc.....wouldnt leaving them on the watch list be unfair? since they arent the ones that caused it to get on the list to start with? Just a thought.

That's like saying Auschwitz is under New Management. Some things just shouldn't be....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ISAC
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 10:10:31 AM »
So what youre saying is that no school should exist period, right? even ones that have decent staff and a good program? you feel they are bad no matter what?

SHH

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Your quote
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 10:20:45 AM »
So what youre saying is that no school should exist period, right? even ones that have decent staff and a good program? you feel they are bad no matter what?

That's not what I said at all - even the least intelligent person would know that's not what I said.

There's a need for these type of programs, but only if they are willing and able to abide by State Regulations AND are truly qualified to provide professional competent services to the children. HLA doesn't deserve a 2nd chance period.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ISAC
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 10:38:07 AM »

If they use the level system, LGAT type seminars, peer counseling then yes.

The only safe boarding schools are the ones that have no 'therapy' or 'emotional growth' at all and are strictly college prep.  I don't even like those, I think they're more for the benefit of the parents than the kids but at least they don't fuck with the kids psyche.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ISAC
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 10:40:44 AM »
Well in some cases I think the best thing for the kids is being as far away from the parents as possible. Thats why I dont think boarding schools, of any type, will ever go away completely. Sometimes its the parents fault the kids are behaving in the manner they are, or have emotional issues.

SHH

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ISAC
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 10:43:21 AM »
Sometimes its the parents fault the kids are behaving in the manner they are, or have emotional issues.

Most of the time.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
ISAC
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 11:03:08 AM »

SHH

Suzanne,
Your hypothetical scenario is unrealistic. Can you provide one instance where this has happened?
Do you anticipate HLA changing hands, hiring of all new qualified staff, and renovating the facility?
Take Skyline Journey for example. They killed Ian August due to medical neglect. Marched the kid to death in 100* temperature and let him sit alone in the sun to die because they determined he was 'faking'. In violation of 20 some regulations that day. EMT ignored her medical training and diverted to SJs method of shaking out 'fakers'. No one was convicted for this crime. SJ was shut down though. They are currently running a 'new and improved' program called Distant Drums. That's the current MO in the industry. Should they be on the list. Absolutely, yes.
That history is important to the discerning parent.

Even with a license and state monitoring, these programs must be watched closely. They don't know how to genuniely help kids so they resort to austere rules and forms of punishment in order to gain 'compliance'. The truth is that state regulations are no guarantee, but can be the catalyst for 'some' positive change. That's the best we can hope for.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ISAC
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 11:25:56 AM »
This doesnt necesarily have to do with HLA, i was speaking in general terms. I dont know if this has happened, but it seemed to me that if changes were made it would be unfair to the good folks to carry the burden of what the bad folks did. I dont have a problem with regulations and monitoring. But if a school did better it seems it shouldnt stay on a watch list.

SHH