Author Topic: worried  (Read 20895 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2006, 07:45:00 PM »
I've been waiting and I don't hear anyone refuting my concerns.  I don't see why it was so imperative to let you know what my son's counselors' names are.  I hope I dispelled your suspicion that I'm not actually an HLA parent.  If you need further proof, let me know.  Oh by the way, the violence that I was referring to happend in the boy's dorm.  Believe me now.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »
Dear Parent,

Your concerns are very valid and right on base. Take the lack of response for what it is. A hesitiancy to tell the truth. Do the right thing here and go with what your gut is telling you.

An escapee

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2006, 08:18:00 PM »
On 2006-01-23 13:06:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-01-23 07:55:00, Dysfunction Junction wrote:

"I'd be willing to bet that these kids will be put into group this week and squeezed hard to rat on eachother so that the staff can find out who's been "manipulating" their parents.  Once they single out the kid they suspect the punishment will be swift and decisive.  I personally have seen this many times.

You are correct in assuming that they will punish your child for your concern.

"

That is not a correct assumption.  Maybe it was that way 10 years ago, but that is not how things work now.  "

Cone on now, Biiiilllllll. Are you saying that HLA no longer has Fallout?
That's not what kids freshly out of hla say. Isn't it true that when something big is going down, a whole peer group or the whole campus can be on restriction until someone breaks and confesses? If you don't know this is happening, you should keep a closer watch on your staff.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
worried
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2006, 09:49:00 PM »
On 2006-01-23 14:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Because I don't believe it is actually a parent who is posting this.  

Frankly, I'm about even money between an actual worried parent and some joker working for Joe Farrell trying to elicit actionable statements.

If you really are a worried parent and you're still sitting there typing away, you're dumber than a brick. I mean that. Why would you still be sitting here w/ someone austensibly from the school posing these kinds of questions to you? Just stop and think about that for a moment. What would be the point? If I were you, I'd get in the car right now and be there and back in time for the evening news.

Of course, if you're just trolling, then this makes perfect sense. Say now! Is this something they're teaching at the advanced seminars now? Cause I could swear they're working from the same script in the Spring Creek Lodge thread.

My initial response was to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized that I had no character.
-- Charles Barkley, on hearing Tonya Harding proclaim herself "the Charles Barkley of figure skating"

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline HLA Truth

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2006, 10:38:00 PM »
On 2006-01-23 15:30:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-01-23 13:23:00, Anonymous wrote:

Who are you that you would be able to 'validate' or refute what goes on there?  I'm not saying you can't, but what connection do you have that you would be in a position to do so?"

Anyone else hear crickets chirping?  Wonder if they'll ever get around to answering that. :roll:

Ok, so here we have a parent that is worried about their kid's safety at HLA.  We have some HLA employee (apparently by their own admission) trying to dig out who this kid is or which group he's in but the employee refuses to identify themselves or even at the very least reveal how they would be in a position to check on this kid.  

Anyone else getting a sick feeling in their stomach? :???: "

You are putting words in my mouth.  I want to know who the COUNSELORS are, not the kids name.  That will verify that you are a parent.  It is easy to pick Steve Sorrells name off of the web site and say that you talked with him.  It is harder to give me the names of the two counselors your child works with because that is not published.  I don't see the problem with that, being that you willing gave the name of his/her counselor at RCI.

By the way, I hope you enjoyed Steve.  He is a truly good guy.  He builds wonderful rapport with the kids.

Or, just ask me a specific question about something going on right now.  I just want to verify you are who you say you are.

I am really very willing to address the specific concerns that you have.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2006, 11:08:00 PM »
I don't feel comfortable telling you who the counselors are and don't see how it is pertinent to the discussion.  I simply wanted to know if anyone had any information to substantiate the rumors and the stories that I have heard from my child and other children in the program.  I"ve heard enough to where I am making arrangements to go to HLA this week.  Thanks for those who addressed my concerns.

Offline HLA Truth

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2006, 11:12:00 PM »
On 2006-01-23 20:08:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I don't feel comfortable telling you who the counselors are and don't see how it is pertinent to the discussion.  I simply wanted to know if anyone had any information to substantiate the rumors and the stories that I have heard from my child and other children in the program.  I"ve heard enough to where I am making arrangements to go to HLA this week.  Thanks for those who addressed my concerns."

You are certainly welcome to come down any time you would like.  Again, what are the specific rumors and specific stories you have heard from your child.  I would be more than happy to address them.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2006, 11:13:00 PM »
Aww to bad.

If the person really was a concerned parent than you just lost another 5 or 6 new cars. Cause we all know the bottom line is all that matters.

If the person was just another plant than yet another plan was foiled and you walk away with nothing but having wasted your time.

I am interested in your choice of name though. Does this mean youre going to finally be willing to tell the truth about HLA?

Offline HLA Truth

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2006, 11:17:00 PM »
All I am saying is that I am willing to answer the parents questions address the concerns.  I have not yet seen specific rumors or concerns from this parent to address yet.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
worried
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2006, 11:19:00 PM »
On 2006-01-23 20:12:00, HLA Truth wrote:

"

On 2006-01-23 20:08:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I don't feel comfortable telling you who the counselors are and don't see how it is pertinent to the discussion.  I simply wanted to know if anyone had any information to substantiate the rumors and the stories that I have heard from my child and other children in the program.  I"ve heard enough to where I am making arrangements to go to HLA this week.  Thanks for those who addressed my concerns."

You are certainly welcome to come down any time you would like.  Again, what are the specific rumors and specific stories you have heard from your child.  I would be more than happy to address them."

Oh, here goes the witch hunt. What makes you think the kid said anything? Maybe you accidentally got hold of a kid who's parent is litterate and somewhat intellectually curious. Maybe they've looked into some of the core people's histories and affiliations. Isn't that why Len's online bio went *poof*? Used to have all this:

Hidden Lake Academy (HLA) was founded in 1994 by Leonard Buccellato, PH.D, in response to the overwhelming need for a school that would fill the existing gaps between services provided by residential treatment centers, group homes and traditional boarding schools.  As a practicing psychologist and Educational Consultant for more than twenty years, Dr. Buccellato has referred his young clients for help and therefore has had ample opportunity to observe many alternative schools.  This placed him in a unique position enabling him to develop the best possible program for teens that need specialized services.

Now, just a rather gangster looking portrait (sorry, that's just my impression) and about twice the size of any of the others, not a word about what qualifies him to found and run such an organizations.

So, to which schools and programs did Len refer people for 20 years up till he started his own? Let's see, what was around then. Oh, there's always been CEDU and Elan, then the Straight spin offs and pre WWASP places like Bethel and CCM. Could that be where he got his background?

No synonym for God is so perfect as Beauty. Whether as seen carving the lines of the mountains with glaciers, or gathering matter into stars, or planning the movements of water, or gardening - still all is Beauty!
-- John Muir

Why I Live at the PO
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2006, 11:22:00 PM »
My concerns are again:
I've heard that drugs are rampant on campus.
Children are punished for exhibiting psychological symptoms such as cutting, restricting food.
Restrictions are handed out for the smallest infractions to the point where many of the kids restrictions pile into days, then weeks, and so on.
I was told at my campus orientation that Ridge Creek was used as a last resort measure, which I know is not true...and even though I liked Steve Sorrell I have an issue that the treatment there is far from being therapeutic.
I sent my child to this camp in the hopes that he would find healthy interests like art, music, drama, all the things that sold me on the program on the first place, but instead he is endlessly chopping wood.
I've heard of an incident in the dorm that sent one boy to the hospital if you are affiliated with HLA you will be familiar with the incident.
My child is behind academically because of going to Ridge Creek and because of this now he may lose his next visit.
These are a few of my concerns and why I am making travel arrangements as we speak.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2006, 11:25:00 PM »
When youre done with those do you think you could finally address the licensure issue with HLA.

How is it legally licensed as both?

Why doesnt HLA abide by RTC regs for the state of GA?

Why dont students have a means to air greivances to an objective person?

Let me know cupcake. Also tell us what your job is over there.

Offline HLA Truth

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2006, 11:30:00 PM »
On 2006-01-23 20:22:00, Anonymous wrote:

"My concerns are again:

Children are punished for exhibiting psychological symptoms such as cutting, restricting food.

Restrictions are handed out for the smallest infractions to the point where many of the kids restrictions pile into days, then weeks, and so on.

I was told at my campus orientation that Ridge Creek was used as a last resort measure, which I know is not true...and even though I liked Steve Sorrell I have an issue that the treatment there is far from being therapeutic.

I sent my child to this camp in the hopes that he would find healthy interests like art, music, drama, all the things that sold me on the program on the first place, but instead he is endlessly chopping wood.

I've heard of an incident in the dorm that sent one boy to the hospital if you are affiliated with HLA you will be familiar with the incident.

My child is behind academically because of going to Ridge Creek and because of this now he may lose his next visit.

These are a few of my concerns and why I am making travel arrangements as we speak."

Fair enough.  I think you have some valid concerns.  Concerns that I would have if I had my child at HLA.  You also have some misconceptions that I will attempt to clear up.  

Look for a posting on this thread sometime tomorrow morning.  It will be lengthy, and I am going to bed now.

Good night, all.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »
How are you qualified to talk about what goes on at HLA?

Your user name is "HLA Truth" but if you're not a current employee then how can you talk about what's going on there today?  Also, if you are an employee I suspect you'll be doing nothing more than trying to deflect criticisms to keep sales strong.  Just sbout every single HLA employee that has posted on this site has told outright lies about the program and harrassed and denigrated poeple who challenged their information.

I think that your input probably isn't truthful and I basically completely discount anything you say without identifying yourself and stating how you are affiliated with HLA and are qualified to talk about it.  You're just on here trying to keep the cash flowing nothing more.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline HLA Truth

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2006, 02:00:00 PM »
On 2006-01-23 20:30:00, HLA Truth wrote:

"

On 2006-01-23 20:22:00, Anonymous wrote:

"My concerns are again:

These are a few of my concerns and why I am making travel arrangements as we speak."

Fair enough.  I think you have some valid concerns.  Concerns that I would have if I had my child at HLA.  You also have some misconceptions that I will attempt to clear up.  

Look for a posting on this thread sometime tomorrow morning.  It will be lengthy, and I am going to bed now.

Good night, all."

Sorry that it has taken so long to get back with you on these points...

Drugs are rampant on campus-  Yes, we had some kids recently who were caught with drugs on campus.  Three kids actually shared one joint that one of them had snuck onto campus.  All students involved went to Ridge Creek.  Other than that one incident there have been no other times in recent memory that drugs have been on campus.  On the rare occasion, however, they do get onto campus.

Students are punished for cutting or restricting food-  Actually the opposite is true.  We have a policy against this.  I will note that this has not always been the policy.  Years ago students were put on restrictions for such things.  I believe the program is much more clinically sound now than it was in the early days.  This does not mean that kids who do these things are exempt from restrictions if they do other things that would get every other kid on restriction.  If their state of mind is too severe to handle typical student life here, we will reccomend that they move on to more of a hospital setting.

Mulitiple days on restriction-  THis is an exageration of the facts.  Yes, kids can build up multiple days on restrictions and in the past kids were on restriction for an infinite ammount of time.  Now, if a kid is on restrictions for more than 15 days in one month, we hold a special staffing to determine how to get that child back on track.  This will often result in sending the child to RCI.  When they come back, the slate is wiped clean.  If they don't go to RCI, we look at creative ways in which we can get the kids off of restrictions and able to join the majority of the student body who are not on restrictions.

RCI as a last resort-  In my mind RCI is used as a last resort, other than dismissing a child.  There are certain behaviors, however, that will almost automatically send a child to RCI such as intimidation of another student, physical violence, bring drugs onto campus, abusing medications.  Pretty much anything that severly inhibits the groth of another student.  In terms of RCI not being clinical enough, I don't think you will find another wilderness program in the country that is more clinical.  All of their therapists are state licensed and the program is licensed by the state as well.  They are very clinical.

Your child is always on restriction-  This is where I would challenge you a bit.  If your child is always on restriction and unable to participate in the fun activities of the school, I would put that problem back onto your child.  He has the ability to not be on restrictions.  I want you to realize that 80% of the school is NOT on restrictions.  Most of them are going about their business, following the rules, and being able to participate in activities.  Let your child work through the beginning part of this program and realize that he has to be the one to make the changes.  

Boy to the hospital-  Yes.  This did occur.  Several boys beat up another boy for making racial remarks to one of them.  All of the boys involved are now at RCI.  The boy that got beat up went to the hospital to get stitches in his lip.  HLA is vigilent at stopping any violence or intimidation on campus.  Once it is found out it is dealt with swiftly.  HLA has not tolerance for this kind of thing on its campus.

Academically behind after RCI-  Kids are given six weeks to make up their work following RCI.  Also, student are allowed to work on their academics while they are at RCI.  You may not want to hear this, but if your child has not gotten themselves complete after RCI, it is entirely their fault.  The kids are given plenty of time to catch up and the vast majority of kids get caught up very quickly.  If your child is truly working and still having trouble getting caught up, I encourage you to call the academic department and discuss what the problem is.  They will work with you.  Just make sure your child is TRULY working and not just trying to make excuses for himself.  Again, the VAST majority of kids make their academic work up very quickly.

I hope this has been of some help to you.  I am sure much of what I have written will now get trashed.  Just remember, there is a big difference in how things are now as opposed to when most of the posters on this site were here.  Ultimately, you have to decide what is best for your child and only you can decide that.  Good luck and maybe I will see you when you come up.