Author Topic: sexual misconduct  (Read 15271 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
sexual misconduct
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2006, 01:56:00 PM »
Sue, (funny name for a guy)

I do appreciate your response and you owning up to some of what you said.  It takes a big person to admit this.  By the way, I do like your sense of humor, just a little sensitive to Hyde's bad attitude about sexual abuse.

Would you mind posting your last post on here.  It comes out in purple and is hard to read.  Let me know if it is strictly my computer that sees it this way.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
sexual misconduct
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2006, 06:47:00 PM »

Although you are posting your name, Sue, you have to be a guy

I will confess to the ownership of a penis. However I am in touch with my inner woman. She is a lesbian.
I realized I was leaving my female voice when I posted that. Good catch.

because a woman would not joke about a man in a position of power taking advantage of a young girl.

I was not joking. I remember her as a very beatiful and desirable young woman. I have no idea how the relation happened. I do know that if I was in Mr T's postion it would be a difficult decision. I know because I have been there myself, and had to make that call. I have been in a committed monogomous relation for over twenty years. While I found the 15 year old in my personal temtation be very attactive, I had to decline her kind offer of sexual gratification.
A great deal of male thought process occurs below the belt.

The power thing is real. Most men do not realize the power aspect of these non-peer relations. My Sig O does social work for a living and has sex offenders for clients. I have been educated on the subject

I don't care how much she asked for it or said she wanted to do whatever it was, a teacher, principal, or whatever has a responsibility and duty to his job and to the kids, not to take advantage of them. We are talking about young girls who have various psychological problems, some as simple as being raised without a father. This type of girl needs good examples in her life, not to see that a man would take advantage of her.

No argument. Word, as the youngters say.

You have said a lot of good things on this board Sue, but you are off track when it comes to this. I don't see anything funny at all about Joe Gauld having an affair with a student or Larry Dubinsky running around campus getting a quick feel, taking pictures of only pretty girls, taking them off for the night, etc.

Thank you. I try to be thoughful or funny or both at the same time. The thing with Joe and A. vanH. was smarmy for the non-peer power aspect.

Don't mean to sound so angry, but I hope you will give some consideration to how these girls might feel later in life and think about the trust that was broken.

I absolutely know how they feel. I was brought up catholic.

Problem with Hyde is they don't take these things seriously. The strictly think about how to cover their butts. I read on one of the posts how there is once again another problem with a teacher, (the music teacher) being sexually inappropriate with another student. Guess we won't hear about that one either until someone posts it on this board. When will Hyde learn to screen their teachers better, pay them enough to get decent ones, and take appropriate action when one of them steps over the line?

I know very little about Hyde. I will not defend the present incarnation of the same. When I was there it work for me. With that said it worked for me because of the things I learned dealing with the place, not because I got "it" as they used to say in E.S.T.. Some of the experiances were good, the summer program rowing the dorys the athletics were good for me. I ski, ride mountain bike and fitness run. I don't think I would be doing those things if I had not gone to Hyde.
I have talked to a couple of folks that were there when I was, off list. They have told me of some really horrifing personal problems they had there. I flew under the radar when I was there. I never spoke in meetings. I gave the bare minimum in seminars. I never broke any of the rules. So I was never the object of Joe's attention.

There you got me monologuing.

I got to bet back to work

A boy named sue

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
sexual misconduct
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2006, 06:48:00 PM »
damn that did not come out right either

Sue

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
sexual misconduct
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »
I will have to stop posting for a while and come back with another name how about "Kandy Darling" or "Andy Warhol"?  What do you think?

http://www.warhol.org/

sue

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
sexual misconduct
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2006, 10:36:00 PM »
I was propositioned by the same teacher to whom "Sue" is referring, the one who ostensibly slept with another student whose parents then sued the school in the 1970's. Although I did not take him up on his offer, it was harmful and has remained with me for years. I never told my parents or anyone else at the school.

I recall the student asking the dorm proctor for permission to go to his apartment in the New Dorm for math tutoring during study hall. This occurred repeatedly in the evening while his wife was at play practice in the Student Union.

The same teacher used to make a sexual joke with his math class about how his wife liked his "right angles." It was common knowledge.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
sexual misconduct
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2006, 10:53:00 PM »
On 2006-04-27 19:36:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I was propositioned by the same teacher to whom "Sue" is referring, the one who ostensibly slept with another student whose parents then sued the school in the 1970's. Although I did not take him up on his offer, it was harmful and has remained with me for years. I never told my parents or anyone else at the school.

I recall the student asking the dorm proctor for permission to go to his apartment in the New Dorm for math tutoring during study hall. This occurred repeatedly in the evening while his wife was at play practice in the Student Union.

The same teacher used to make a sexual joke with his math class about how his wife liked his "right angles." It was common knowledge.

"

Thank you for being so honest about what happened to you at Hyde. Was Hyde or some of the staff aware that this Mr T was propositioning the female students? If they did know, did they take any action?  At what point did they take action?  Was Mr T at Hyde for very long?

Sorry for all the questions or asking you to relive what happened to you, but am very curious if Hyde has changed at all. I know they did not take the situation with Mr Dubinsky seriously even when several girls reported how uncomfortable he made them feel.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
sexual misconduct
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2006, 11:27:00 PM »
I cannot say how much the administrators knew about the teacher's behavior prior to the summer when he left the school after the girl's parents reported his sexual misconduct.

I do know, however, that there were other inappropriate male comments made to girls about their bodies in general, and some girls were put on diets arbitarily. Seemed odd to have a male teacher weighing in all these teenage girls. The wrestlers taught the girls how to get their weight down for these weigh-ins by using laxatives. The weight loss was totally unsupervised. The teachers said to lose so many pounds and the girls were expected to do it with no guidance. They had to eat the same high starch food in the dining room as everyone else and weigh in once a week. After weighing in on a weekend morning, they headed to the dining room for french toast or pancakes with lots of syrup. Hyde was really good at teaching the binge-purge cycle.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
sexual misconduct
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2006, 11:58:00 PM »
Once, while walking up the wood steps going toward the back entrance of the mansion, I was in front of a particular male teacher, who is now deceased. Because of the nature of steps and his position behind me, he had full view of my rear end. This occassioned a rude comment from him to me about my body. I was horrified, humiliated, ashamed. This was years ago, and it still stings. I am not sure if anyone at the school at the time really thought this kind of comment was out of line. The damage that can do to an adolescent girl is very real and deep, especially when the comment comes from a teacher. When this teacher died, Laura Gauld wrote a glowing piece about him in some Hyde publication, about how wonderful his influence was on students and teachers. I was so sad when I read it. His influence on me was anything but wonderful.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
sexual misconduct
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2006, 12:17:00 AM »
On 2006-04-27 20:58:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Once, while walking up the wood steps going toward the back entrance of the mansion, I was in front of a particular male teacher, who is now deceased. Because of the nature of steps and his position behind me, he had full view of my rear end. This occassioned a rude comment from him to me about my body. I was horrified, humiliated, ashamed. This was years ago, and it still stings. I am not sure if anyone at the school at the time really thought this kind of comment was out of line. The damage that can do to an adolescent girl is very real and deep, especially when the comment comes from a teacher. When this teacher died, Laura Gauld wrote a glowing piece about him in some Hyde publication, about how wonderful his influence was on students and teachers. I was so sad when I read it. His influence on me was anything but wonderful.

"

I read your post and I have feelings of sadness, (for you) anger, and resentment.  I had a similar experience at Hyde and it actually went a little further with the male teacher. Truth be told, a school cannot always monitor every single thing a teacher does throughout the day, but in my case the school absolutely knew and chose to ignore it, hoping I would go away.  There was never a doubt that many of the top administrators were aware of the innappropriate behavior of this staff member.  It makes me sick to hear that there was a pattern of this reaction by the school for years.  My feeling and the feelings of other students who went to school with me is that Hyde only cares about covering their butts when necessary.  

Don't be upset with yourself for remaining silent.  I didn't remain silent and it didn't make a difference. Those teachers who are still at Hyde School, and who know about these abuses and do nothing,(you know who you are) should be the ones who feel ashamed.  Ashamed that they allowed these things to go on, and ashamed that they live with this knowledge and still do nothing!

Thanks for sharing your story. I would love to know how you are doing now.  Are you still angry?  Do you still feel the betrayal that I do?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
sexual misconduct
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2006, 01:51:00 AM »
I am sorry for your painful experiences at Hyde.

Yes, I still feel anger and betrayal, but wish I could let it go.

No, I do not feel I should have said anything, b/c it would only have been turned back on me somehow and wouldn't have helped anyone else.

Mostly, I am worried about teens who are still being hurt and who don't even know it, because they have bought into the place and the people as I did. I am sure there are some people who Hyde helps, but I can't see that as a justification for the level of harm done there. Of course, inappropriate behavior goes on at all schools to some extent. However, in my experience, we are talking about more than that with regard to the pernicious patterns of adult behaviors at Hyde.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
sexual misconduct
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2006, 05:32:00 AM »
On 2006-04-27 22:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I am sorry for your painful experiences at Hyde.

Yes, I still feel anger and betrayal, but wish I could let it go.

No, I do not feel I should have said anything, b/c it would only have been turned back on me somehow and wouldn't have helped anyone else.

Mostly, I am worried about teens who are still being hurt and who don't even know it, because they have bought into the place and the people as I did. I am sure there are some people who Hyde helps, but I can't see that as a justification for the level of harm done there. Of course, inappropriate behavior goes on at all schools to some extent. However, in my experience, we are talking about more than that with regard to the pernicious patterns of adult behaviors at Hyde."

As the parent of a Hyde student I'm horrified to read all these accounts of staff misbehavior.  I too am distressed by the conduct of many people at Hyde.  When we signed up at the school I was optimistic about our child's future there.  Now I've learned that Hyde has a serious dark side and is very good at covering up.  I wish I had known all of this when we first looked at the school.  I hope other parents can learn from all these comments and avoid the mistake we made by joining Hyde School.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
sexual misconduct
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2006, 07:53:00 AM »
these accts are from the 70's

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
sexual misconduct
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »
On 2006-04-28 04:53:00, Anonymous wrote:

"these accts are from the 70's"

No these acts are not from only the 70's, these acts continue to the 2000's.  Read back some of these posts and you will see.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
sexual misconduct
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2006, 10:11:00 AM »
If they were isolated acts in the 70's, I don't think we would all be here writing about Hyde in this forum.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
sexual misconduct
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2006, 08:06:00 PM »
On 2006-04-28 04:53:00, Anonymous wrote:

"these accts are from the 70's"

I have no idea what happened at Hyde in the 1970s.  But I know very well about the more recent nightmares at Hyde (since 2000).  Anyone who thinks Hyde cleaned up its act after whatever happened in the 1970s is fooling himself.  If you take the time to read the many postings on this board you'll see that Hyde's bad stories continue.