Author Topic: More than PTSD?  (Read 4598 times)

Offline Princess Bride

• View Profile
More than PTSD?
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2005, 04:24:00 AM »
Withdraw, your comments really outline the way I am feeling lately. I have gotten on with what I can, I am a good member of society, have a good family etc. - however - I am tired of this screw up label that has been on me since the day I went in there.
I want to finally, once and for all, address what has been lurking in the forefront of my mind for the last 18 years.
Why am I still thinking I am doomed to failure as a worthless drug addicted piece of crap when everything I have done in the last two decades proves otherwise?
I have begun trying to find a shrink who might know how to address this, possibly.
There is a treatment that I am about to try, I cannot recommend it yet; but it sounds promising.
It is used a lot on vets and others with PTSD, though the thing that struck me was that my Dr. said that I knew myself the best and that it was most important to let my mind come up with what it would. Rather than put a label on me or make me fit some diagnosis, we are supposed to look in and somehow try to reprocess things.
This means to me that I will be addressing the exact experiences and things that planted these cooky ideas in my head in the first place.
Somehow the process is designed to work like sleep somehow and pull things up the same way we do at night when we process the day's events.
They say it has worked for about 75% of the vets who have tried it, so I think it is worth a try. All of the other counselors etc. that I interviewed really had no idea what I was talking about.
The PTSD fits the nightmares and certain other problems I have had, however doesn't address the firmly embedded system of beliefs I have had about myself and the world around me since I left there.
My hope is to get to these and in some way finally be able to enjoy my life without all the guilt and fear that it will be taken away.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
More than PTSD?
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2005, 09:36:00 AM »
My boyfriend tried to tell me about EMDR, but I got mad and now he thinks I'm crazy and he won't talk to me anymore.  :cry:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
More than PTSD?
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2005, 11:42:00 AM »
Here is another treatment for PTSD:

What is a Thought Field Therapy?

Dr. Roger Callahan, the originator of Thought Field Therapy,  defines field as "an invisible structure in space that has an effect upon matter".

Although fields cannot be seen or measured, the fields effects can be readily observed.  You cannot see a magnetic field, for instance, but you can see its effect.  

In TFT theory, the perturbations, which are considered to be the most basic cause of negative emotions, are contained in the thought field.  Perturbations are comparable to what physicist David Bohm, Ph.D., calls "active information" which is a phenomenon where a very small amount of energy can have a tremendous effect upon a larger system.

There is a one-to-one correspondence (known in TFT terminology as isomorphism) between these perturbations and specific energy meridian points on the body, which, when stimulated in a specific sequence, result in healing.
What does a TFT treatment involve?

While a trained therapist is present, the patient is first asked to think about a troublesome issue. They are then asked to quantify their feelings on a scale of 1 to 10, with a 10 representing maximum distress. Next, the patient is asked to tap on his or her own body in specific places, or energy points, in a specific order. Following the treatment the patient is once again asked to think about their problem or issue and rate it, indicating how much distress they feel.

Typically, the patient reports that the distress is completely gone and even that they can't think about it at all! Of course, they are thinking about it because they are talking about it. However, the thought no longer holds the emotional charge that it once did. At this point the patient is now free of their problem, as they can no longer get back the original feeling of distress. Results seem to be permanent in most cases.
Is TFT painful?

No. TFT uses no instruments nor does it require you to talk at length about your problems.
Is TFT suitable for children?

Yes. The simplicity and safety of TFT makes it especially suitable for children. Children can use happy face drawings or their hands to indicate how upsetting or disturbing their problem is. TFT helps night terrors, anxiety, school phobias, fears, traumas and anger. This is an easy technique to use when talking therapy or conventional approaches might be intimidating.
What are TFT algorithms?

Dr. Roger Callahan discovered the algorithms working with thousands of patients. Algorithms are a precise code of nature that treat emotional distress at the root of the problem, in the energy field. The algorithms were determined using TFT diagnostic procedures. The algorithms are precise treatment sequences that are known to have a curative effect when applied to specific problems.
What if I don't believe the treatment will work?

You don't have to believe in TFT to have it work. It works with perfect strangers, infants and animals.
Has any research been carried out on TFT?

There have been no control studies on the success of TFT