Author Topic: Regarding Press Briefing in DC  (Read 3698 times)

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
Regarding Press Briefing in DC
« on: October 16, 2005, 09:52:00 PM »
Several weeks ago, A START (Alliance for the Safe, Therapeutic and Appropriate use of Residential Treatment) sent out an announcement inviting people to attend a press conference on Capitol Hill on October 18, 2005 calling for increased protections for youth in residential programs.  We have since learned that because the press conference will be held in the Capitol Building, it is necessary to provide the Capitol Building security with a list of names of those people planning on attending at least 24 hours in advance of the event.  If you are planning on attending the press conference but have not r.s.v.p.'d to Allison Pinto of A START, then please contact Cheryl Johnson in Congressman George Miller's office at 202-225-7118 before 11:00 a.m. on Monday, October 17.  You can also reach Cheryl Johnson at:

Committee on Education and the Workforce
U. S. House of Representatives
2181 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
(202) 225-4527; TDD/TTY: (202) 226-3372

Allison Pinto, Ph.D.
A START
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
    • http://www.pathwayfamilycenter.fornits.com
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 10:10:00 PM »
On 2005-10-16 18:52:00, katfish wrote:

"Several weeks ago, A START (Alliance for the Safe, Therapeutic and Appropriate use of Residential Treatment) sent out an announcement inviting people to attend a press conference on Capitol Hill on October 18, 2005 calling for increased protections for youth in residential programs.  We have since learned that because the press conference will be held in the Capitol Building, it is necessary to provide the Capitol Building security with a list of names of those people planning on attending at least 24 hours in advance of the event.  If you are planning on attending the press conference but have not r.s.v.p.'d to Allison Pinto of A START, then please contact Cheryl Johnson in Congressman George Miller's office at 202-225-7118 before 11:00 a.m. on Monday, October 17.  You can also reach Cheryl Johnson at:

Committee on Education and the Workforce

U. S. House of Representatives

2181 Rayburn House Office Building

Washington, D.C. 20515

(202) 225-4527; TDD/TTY: (202) 226-3372

Allison Pinto, Ph.D.

A START

"

Katfish,

Where are ye getting this information from?

-DP

The Mann family was only one of a host of influential voices being raised against the traditional reading instructions in the most literate nation on earth.
http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/3n.htm' target='_new'>John Taylor Gatto

"So, you can make me cum ...that doesn\'t make you, Jesus"....Tori Amos copyright
Read about Pathway Family Centers here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 10:18:00 PM »
I didn't see any public announcement on Fornits, TAUSA or ISAC about this press conference.  Did we all just miss the boat or was this info posted somewhere that we should have known about, but didn't?  

:???:

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 10:21:00 PM »
On 2005-10-16 19:18:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I didn't see any public announcement on Fornits, TAUSA or ISAC about this press conference.  Did we all just miss the boat or was this info posted somewhere that we should have known about, but didn't?  

:-?

"

What is Tausa?
-DP

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.
--H. L. Mencken, American publisher

"So, you can make me cum ...that doesn\'t make you, Jesus"....Tori Amos copyright

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 10:38:00 PM »
TAUSA (Teen Advocates USA)

http://www.teenadvocatesusa.org

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 10:39:00 PM »
I'm feeling afraid to attend. I was emailed also, but can't seem to take that first leap of faith. Is anyone else going? I know it's 2 days away and all....

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 11:39:00 PM »
On 2005-10-16 19:39:00, Withdraw wrote:

"I'm feeling afraid to attend. I was emailed also, but can't seem to take that first leap of faith. Is anyone else going? I know it's 2 days away and all...."

I am not attending simply b/c it is my daughters birthday, and I cannot afford to attend.

The thing that bothers me about this is that Allison Pinto has never returned my emails at all, and I even invited her to call me, and I have knowledge that she has also snubbed Isac. The picture that it paints for me is not pretty.
If Miss Pinto truly understands survivors and kids that are still being mistreated as we speak then it seems to me a professional of her stature would understand that not contacting survivors back and snubbing an organization that has worked hard for over three years now to help children does not aide in her credibility/trust amongst survivors at all.

warm regards,
-DP

regards,

-DP

Of all the enemies to public liberty, war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other.
--James Madison

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 02:33:00 AM »
On 2005-10-16 20:39:00, Deprogrammed wrote:

"

On 2005-10-16 19:39:00, Withdraw wrote:

"I'm feeling afraid to attend. I was emailed also, but can't seem to take that first leap of faith. Is anyone else going? I know it's 2 days away and all...."

I am not attending simply b/c it is my daughters birthday, and I cannot afford to attend.

The thing that bothers me about this is that Allison Pinto has never returned my emails at all, and I even invited her to call me, and I have knowledge that she has also snubbed Isac. The picture that it paints for me is not pretty.

If Miss Pinto truly understands survivors and kids that are still being mistreated as we speak then it seems to me a professional of her stature would understand that not contacting survivors back and snubbing an organization that has worked hard for over three years now to help children does not aide in her credibility/trust amongst survivors at all.

warm regards,

-DP

regards,

-DP

Of all the enemies to public liberty, war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other.
--James Madison

"

Furthermore there is nothing on Rep. miller's site announcing any support of this "press conference". I guess the site can still be updated tmw and I will check...but something is just not adding up here at all.
regards,
-DP

You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war.
--Albert Einstein

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 03:17:00 AM »
Thanks for your response. I don't have alot of energy to check stuff like that out, and honestly wouldn't know where to look. Keep in touch if you learn anymore, please.

She seemed legit/sincere, but I also got a wacky feeling around the whole thing, could very well be my own distrust though. I can say the email that was mailed was very form... with a few personal additions compared to the others I saw posted.[ This Message was edited by: Withdraw on 2006-02-28 22:04 ]

Offline Princess Bride

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 03:33:00 AM »
I noticed that your description has you in Springfield in 1986. I was there from 1987, to early 1989.
I have been thinking about people from there, one girl in particular who came in around the time I did. She looked like Richard MArx and compulsively tore all the hair away from her eyes.
I am interested in talking with people from Striaght around that time.
The only movie I ever remember seeing was the Princess Bride. I believe this was for Christmas. This is my favorite movie still, probably because it was such a valuable experience at the time, who knows.
Thanks.

Offline katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 11:39:00 AM »
Hey DP,

Allison sent me the info and asked I share it with anyone who may not have gotten in touch with her for the press briefing, but who plans on attending.  She didn't want anyone to get stuck and not be able to enter the conference b/c of that confusion.  I guess she had stated originally that it was optional to RSVP, when it's really not.

As I understand, as it reads above, she contacted people to let them know about the conference.  I have posted around as well, info about the conference.  We were concerned about filling the room, but as it turns out those who have RSVPed have will fill up the room.  People may cancel, though.  What everyone is aiming for is to get a congressional hearing, that's when it's really important to have everyone show!

Well....I'm off to DC.

best, kat
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 09:38:00 PM »
On 2005-10-17 08:39:00, katfish wrote:

"Hey DP,

Allison sent me the info and asked I share it with anyone who may not have gotten in touch with her for the press briefing, but who plans on attending.  She didn't want anyone to get stuck and not be able to enter the conference b/c of that confusion.  I guess she had stated originally that it was optional to RSVP, when it's really not.

As I understand, as it reads above, she contacted people to let them know about the conference.  I have posted around as well, info about the conference.  We were concerned about filling the room, but as it turns out those who have RSVPed have will fill up the room.  People may cancel, though.  What everyone is aiming for is to get a congressional hearing, that's when it's really important to have everyone show!

Well....I'm off to DC.

best, kat"

Well, she never has contacted me by phone or by email.....as I already told you before....so do not come on here and act as if I never told ye that.
Allison Pinto never has contacted me at all! You already knew that.

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.
-- George Carlin

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 10:22:00 PM »
So??? What happened? Who was there? What did they have to say? How was it received?

You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.

--Charles Austin Beard

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 12:24:00 AM »
On 2005-10-19 19:22:00, Antigen wrote:

"So??? What happened? Who was there? What did they have to say? How was it received?

You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.

--Charles Austin Beard

"

Exactly!
Love ye ginger  :grin:

Fear is the parent of cruelty, therefore it is no wonder if religion and cruelty have gone hand-in-hand.
--Bertrand Russell, British philosopher, educator, mathemetician, and social critic

Offline katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2005, 12:50:00 AM »
Hi Antigen, Dp- all,

The press conference went great!  Met some good people and I think this is just the beginning for  'A Start' and promoting change.  Only one paper has covered it, far as I can tell, which of course is unfortunate, but not a deterent.  I'm a little suprised, I knew the press ignores us former program kids quite well, but didn't realize that they would blatently ignore calls for action by so many mnetal health professionals and organizations.  hmm...guess I'm a little naive, huh?

I feel very fortunate to have been there and know that there is a sense of outrage that I see spreading in the mental health community...now it's a matter of garning bi-partisan support for these bills- End Inst. Child Abuse Act of 2005 & Keeping Families Together- one provides fed grants for regulation, the other fed grants for improvement in local care so kids have options and are not sent away-  You can't take something away w/o providing an alternative, strategically I mean--- so for those of you who live particularly in REPUBLICAN AREAS, contact your representatives if you want to support regulation of the industry.  I guess slowly but surely we may change the abuse of children in the name of care. Sadly I wish this could happen over night, just the thought of the continual abuse makes me ill...frustrating.

The press story covered here:

http://www.sltrib.com/search/ci_3130174

MAIN SITE for A Start here- I'm a big fan of the fact sheet especially!

http://cfs.fmhi.usf.edu/projects/ASTART.htm

[ This Message was edited by: katfish on 2005-10-22 21:51 ]
Margaret Mead