Author Topic: I was going to write Dear Greg, but even titles seem it be m  (Read 29683 times)

Offline ChrisL

• View Profile
    • http://chrislewiscpa.com
I was going to write Dear Greg, but even titles seem it be m
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2005, 10:14:00 PM »
You don't have to be a Shit expert to know what Shit smells like, so to speak....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
hris Lewis
Seed 1973 -1975
AA 1991 -

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2005, 11:45:00 PM »
On 2005-09-25 11:07:00, Thom wrote:

"
And a question for all. Does anyone else think it's funny as hell that the alleged experts on all things substance abuse related don't know the first thing about it?

It may even turn out to be funnier than hell when all is said and done. Good thing the alleged experts have a place like this to come to get the information they need to be effective."

Hey Thom - what exactly were Barker's credentials?
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline Thom

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2005, 01:04:00 AM »
On 2005-09-25 20:45:00, Helena Handbasket wrote:

"

On 2005-09-25 11:07:00, Thom wrote:

"
And a question for all. Does anyone else think it's funny as hell that the alleged experts on all things substance abuse related don't know the first thing about it?

It may even turn out to be funnier than hell when all is said and done. Good thing the alleged experts have a place like this to come to get the information they need to be effective."

Hey Thom - what exactly were Barker's credentials?"

I'm not sure, beyond 'been there, done that, lived in his car for a time'. Others here who know him better could better answer that one. I never heard of his having had 'formal training' but he may have had some. The best source, of course, would be the man himself.

My encounters with 'formally trained' counselors who have not had personal experience overcoming addiction would seem to indicate that they are generally underqualified in that they can rarely sufficiently identify with the addict, not having had the same, or similar life experiences. Again, this is a generalization, and I do know exceptions, but usually the thought processes of an addict or abuser can become so convoluted that it takes someone who has previously been in that state to truley identify the issues, and know how to lead the willing client to a better place.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2005, 02:47:00 AM »
Art Barker's "qualifications" were a huge ego, a bunch of kiss assers around him to further inflate said ego, a society and government in panic that allowed him to pretty much do whatever he wanted for  a time,  a part time job as a comic at the playboy club, a couple bit parts in some pretty horrible movies, a propensity to break into a softshoe dance at any moment, a bunch of young misguided kids acting as thugs standing guard, parents who participated in holding kids captive at Art's direction,   and a stint in AA.

Did I miss any?

:grin:

Offline Thom

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2005, 02:53:00 AM »
DISCLAIMER: This post deals with a normal bodily function, but uses some vulgar slang expressions to make certain points. If you feel you may be offended by such language, it is advised that you skip this one. The humor-impaired may run into problems here as well.
On 2005-09-25 19:14:00, ChrisL wrote:

"You don't have to be a Shit expert to know what Shit smells like, so to speak...."

True, true...butt it takes a discerning nose to recognise 'good shit' from 'bad shit', even though sometimes the expression, 'good shit' is nearly synonomous with 'bad shit'. What's almost as funny as hell to me is that you hear people talk about 'bad ass shit' in a positive context, usually referring to dope, yet we hardly ever hear the expression 'good ass shit' except, perhaps, during the course of a conversation about Preparation H or a similar product. An exception to the above would be when an illicit drug user happens across some really 'good shit', they may be more inclined to show their 'ass' shortly after burning, snorting, or injecting it. If you have a good ass, it is generally best left alone, but not unguarded.

Ironically, one would likely not use such a product as Preparation H unless they had a 'bad ass', and this condition may exist with or without the presence of shit. This is where the expression 'no shit' comes into play. 'No shit' to a dope fiend is generally considered to be bad ass news, whereas the same circumstance presented to a non-dope user is neither good or bad news, because they have no cause to give a shit.

No shit to someone who suffers from constipation, however, is not a welcome outcome, and can, over time, make the sufferer feel like shit. Often, upon observing someone in this condition, a well-intentioned friend or aquantance may offer the suggestion that the sufferer may be constipated. The usual sufferer response can range from the relatively mild, 'no shit' to a more extreme, and harsh retort such as 'no shirt, shitlock!!!' however, in cases where the sufferer is severely uncomfortable, he or she may, with no verbal warning, proceed to beat  shit out of the well meaning friend or aquantance. It is best, therefore, to perhaps be supportive, but not say shit. In some populations, the expression 'good ass shit' (noun) is shortened to 'good shit', which can easily be mistaken for the expected result of ingesting a laxative, which often results in the verb form of 'good shit'

Another illustration, which may help to bring clarity to points made above would be this hypothetical situation:

If you were to ask two different people if they 'have anything for a headache', Person One might offer Tylenol or a similar product, whereas Person Two, having been asked the identical question, using the same inflection, could very well produce a sledge hammer, and/or a screaming child. A safer question, then, would be 'do you have anything to relieve a headache'

Another observation:
Often, out of a sense of false pride, a 'bad ass' with a 'bad ass' will opt to forego the afore mentioned Preparation H and Tylenol treatments, and pretend they are not uncomfortable. I am usually not comfortable in the company of this personality type.

Further more, and in conclusion,
dope, smack, crack, acid, weed, good/bad shit, stoned, wired  :em:  , crash, f'd up, wasted, strung out, busted, withdrawls, eight balls, shoot up, drive-by, waste, toast, toasted, horse, (any equestrians?)....
Boy, do I miss the good old days!

I think I know where I got off track! I thought the 11th step said 'Sought through beer and medication to remove our conscious contact w/ God...I plead lysdexia!

Offline Thom

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2005, 03:06:00 AM »
On 2005-09-25 23:47:00, GregFL wrote:

"Art Barker's "qualifications" were a huge ego, a bunch of kiss assers around him to further inflate said ego, a society and government in panic that allowed him to pretty much do whatever he wanted for  a time,  a part time job as a comic at the playboy club, a couple bit parts in some pretty horrible movies, a propensity to break into a softshoe dance at any moment, a bunch of young misguided kids acting as thugs standing guard, parents who participated in holding kids captive at Art's direction,   and a stint in AA.

Did I miss any?

:grin: "

Greg, with the exception of Art's mood-lightening soft shoe routines, and a stint in AA, your examples don't seem to demonstrate an understanding of the question. You may wish to re-read it, and try again.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2005, 03:32:00 AM »
The point which flys over your step invested brain Thom is that Art Barker didn't have any qualifications that anyone has been able to demonstrate. In contrast, he was severly undereducated and totally ego-centric but devoid of any formal training. His only formal education came from a Ft Lauderdale diploma mill that closed shortly after awarding him a degree.

Remember that Honesty rule? You know, the first and most violated rule?  How does a diploma from a diploma mill hanging in your office resolve with this step?

Anyone?

Offline Thom

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2005, 03:47:00 AM »
On 2005-09-26 00:32:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The point which flys over your step invested brain Thom is that Art Barker didn't have any qualifications that anyone has been able to demonstrate. In contrast, he was severly undereducated and totally ego-centric but devoid of any formal training. His only formal education came from a Ft Lauderdale diploma mill that closed shortly after awarding him a degree.

Remember that Honesty rule? You know, the first and most violated rule?  How does a diploma from a diploma mill hanging in your office resolve with this step?

Anyone?

"

did you mean invested or infested, well, same difference, I suppose. Did Art claim to have formal training? By severly undereducated, do you mean he was instructed at knife point? by a Butcher? or what? What would you consider to be adequate qualifications? Some Ph.D. or something? [ This Message was edited by: Thom on 2005-09-26 00:48 ]

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2005, 11:38:00 AM »
Infested. severely.

Sorry for the typo. Thanks for diverting off the topic onto my typos.

What about the phony diploma. Care to answer to that one?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2005, 12:19:00 PM »
no phony diploma.  An honorary coctorate.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2005, 12:34:00 PM »
On 2005-09-26 00:47:00, Thom wrote:

Did Art claim to have formal training?

Art made a lot of wildly expansive claims. Here's a nice sampling of some of the more entertaining ones:

http://fornits.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php? ... =8&start=0

It was not the least bit entertaining as a young kid to have my parents believe all his bullshit.

The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma.
--Abraham Lincoln, U.S. President

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2005, 12:05:00 AM »
On 2005-09-26 09:19:00, Anonymous wrote:

"no phony diploma.  An honorary coctorate."

Was that a subliminal typo?

:grin:

But in any event...tell me something. How does one get an honorary doctorate froma  diploma mill?

What a funny concept!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2005, 08:24:00 AM »
I was there when the university gave it to him in 1972. Cocterate sucker.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2005, 08:44:00 AM »
In 1973 Fort Lauderdale College, an accredited state institution, purchased The Art Institute, changed its name to The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale.
(AiFL) degree and diploma programs are licensed by means of accreditation through the Florida State Department of Education, Commission for Independent Education ( 2650 Apalachee Parkway, Suite A, Tallahassee, FL 32301; 850-245-3200; toll-free 888-224-6684).
AiFL is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) (750 First Street, N.E., Suite 980, Washington, DC 20002-4241; 202-336-6780), a national accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, to award Bachelor of Science and Associate of Science degrees, as well as diplomas.
The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale is approved for the training of veterans and eligible veterans? dependents and is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students.
It is from here that Art Barker received his honorary doctorate. He made no claims to have any formal education, nor did he ever refer to this degree as anything more than honorific.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2005, 09:49:00 AM »
Honorary doctorate in what?

According to the press and in contrary to your spin on it,  in 1973 the place he got his "diploma" from was shut down BY THE STATE in 1972.

Maybe his "diploma" and his "doctorate" are two different things, but I wouldn't wrap fish in either.

Again, what was his "doctorate" in, and how did he accomplish getting it?