Author Topic: Guided Imagery ?  (Read 4601 times)

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
Guided Imagery ?
« on: September 09, 2005, 06:36:00 AM »
After reading on the troubled teen indutry forum's thread called .. Looking for suvivors ..

I remembered Staff telling us to close our eyes and then they would put us in a trance like state ( simalar to group hypnosis ) Taking us thru a guided medataion of sorts. Does anyone remeber what kind of imagery they set up  for us ? Or what direction the " rap " took after these? I can not recall what direction they were sending us, I must have blocked it out or something. But I clearly remember Staff doing this.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Sophie

• View Profile
Guided Imagery ?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 08:09:00 AM »
The only guided imagery/meditation stuff I remember was referred to as "beach therapy".  Sometimes staff..sometimes phaser, taking us on a vacation from the blue chair.

Offline the wet noodle

• View Profile
Guided Imagery ?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 11:25:00 AM »
I have not thought about this in 18 years...but reading your post I recall lying down on the cold tile floor (it felt soooo good not to have to sit in those chairs)...closing my eyes and having staff talk us through a beach scene...I recall something about a hammock and blue water and warm sand...

But what is creepy is that I do not recall the purpose of the exercise or what "direction" the rap took after that...
our Anger is a Gift

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
Guided Imagery ?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 11:57:00 AM »
Oh my god...this is freaky.....I remember that if I'm thinking of the same thing that is.....The lights were turned down. They definitely "set a mood." Those raps were always preceded by the more sappy of the stupid songs. We sat in a giant circle on the floor.(where I was anyway)I remember generally the direction those raps always took were really serious, lots of crying (usually little if any confrontation). Tons of "I love you." The rap topic was always something real heavy, guaranteed to make us cry.
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline the wet noodle

• View Profile
Guided Imagery ?
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 12:31:00 PM »
I definitely recall the "mood" raps. They would play a sappy song or tell a sappy story and then get us to cry and share our feelings...We had one in 1999 on the song "What about me" ate some point we also had one with the song "The Rose" and I think there were a few more...

But what I am talking about was something different (I think)...we were told to lay down and close our eyes and imagine ourselves on a beach... I also recall the term "beach therapy" it happened more than once...but I do not recall what followed it or why we did it...maybe it was just another one of those sappy raps...I just do not remember...
our Anger is a Gift

Offline the wet noodle

• View Profile
Guided Imagery ?
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 12:32:00 PM »
I meant 1988
our Anger is a Gift

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Guided Imagery ?
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 01:06:00 PM »
On 2005-09-09 09:31:00, the wet noodle wrote:

"I definitely recall the "mood" raps. They would play a sappy song or tell a sappy story and then get us to cry and share our feelings...We had one in 1999 on the song "What about me" ate some point we also had one with the song "The Rose" and I think there were a few more...

But what I am talking about was something different (I think)...we were told to lay down and close our eyes and imagine ourselves on a beach... I also recall the term "beach therapy" it happened more than once...but I do not recall what followed it or why we did it...maybe it was just another one of those sappy raps...I just do not remember..."

We did that as well. Sometimes in place of exercise raps we would have meditation instead. We were told to imagine we were at the beach and then we would have to tighten and release each area of our bodies. I used to like those raps because it was the closest I could get to having a nap to help me out with the previous night's sleep depravation.

On another note I wonder how many people here have sleep problems since being in that place.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
Guided Imagery ?
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 01:11:00 PM »
Christ this is confusing...I've either blocked a lot out or else straight's lies/mind control methods made sure my memories were blocked, or both...I dont know....

I remember being told to close our eyes and imagine something...specifically what I cant remember....but generallly it was a rather serene image we were told to imagine...so the beach things makes perfect sense even though I dont remember it specifically. I do remember this preceeded those mood raps....but it may have been a part something else altogether too. Or maybe different Straight programs had variations on the same theme? Where I was it seemed to be, for lack of a better way of putting it, a "special occasion" so to speak.

Where I was it was dimmed lights throughtout -1st) sappy songs 2nd) the close our eyes and imagine the serene scene, 3rd) staff intoduced specific heavy topic talked about a specific heavy emotional incident 4th) open eyes and the rap begins 5) tons of crying and "I love you's"

If you guys are talking about something different can you give more details (if possible that is)?...maybe its something different that I completely blocked out....There is something about this possibility that feels very creepy to me.
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Guided Imagery ?
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 01:25:00 PM »
On 2005-09-09 10:11:00, Nonconformistlaw wrote:

"Christ this is confusing...I've either blocked a lot out or else straight's lies/mind control methods made sure my memories were blocked, or both...I dont know....

I remember being told to close our eyes and imagine something...specifically what I cant remember....but generallly it was a rather serene image we were told to imagine...so the beach things makes perfect sense even though I dont remember it specifically. I do remember this preceeded those mood raps....but it may have been a part something else altogether too. Or maybe different Straight programs had variations on the same theme? Where I was it seemed to be, for lack of a better way of putting it, a "special occasion" so to speak.

Where I was it was dimmed lights throughtout -1st) sappy songs 2nd) the close our eyes and imagine the serene scene, 3rd) staff intoduced specific heavy topic talked about a specific heavy emotional incident 4th) open eyes and the rap begins 5) tons of crying and "I love you's"

If you guys are talking about something different can you give more details (if possible that is)?...maybe its something different that I completely blocked out....There is something about this possibility that feels very creepy to me."

We had the raps in Michigan you are referring to as well. The meditation I'm referring to was done in place of the regular futile attempts at excercise in exercise raps.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline the wet noodle

• View Profile
Guided Imagery ?
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 01:28:00 PM »
I think that Webcrawler is right... I recall that the "beach therapy" may have been in lieu of exercise rap... I also vaguely recall taking the opportunity to sleep during these times...

But I am also agree with NCL that it gives me the creeps that my memory is so hazy on this subject...
our Anger is a Gift

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Guided Imagery ?
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 01:37:00 PM »
On 2005-09-09 10:28:00, the wet noodle wrote:

"I think that Webcrawler is right... I recall that the "beach therapy" may have been in lieu of exercise rap... I also vaguely recall taking the opportunity to sleep during these times...

But I am also agree with NCL that it gives me the creeps that my memory is so hazy on this subject..."

The more you read these boards the more you will remember. I had forgotten most details until I found these boards. It has been a double edged sword. Part of me wishes I still did not remember things.

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
Guided Imagery ?
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 01:37:00 PM »
I had forgotten about this until I started reading this thread, but I remember the same that the lights were dimmed and the staff member would take us on some kind of guided meditation, then afterwards we were to relate.

When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=william+blake' target='_new'>William Blake

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
Guided Imagery ?
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 01:39:00 PM »
i remember too
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
Guided Imagery ?
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 02:45:00 PM »
Yes, "Beach Therapy" Wow ! I wish I could recal the full memories of this. Hypnosis like these occured in EVERY thought reform program I've read about. It must had been an intrict part of the "Brainwash"

What is spooky is it happened to all us of in diffrent facilities.

This is very interesting to me, As counselors after straight ( and in my own spirituality ) I have tried and been directed to go into a trance like this using guided imagery..As a theraputic exercise. NO matter how hard I try I can not allow myself to achieve the state.

I wonder what they did to us before , during and after  these sessions that I refuse to allow to happen again.

I have thought for years I was better off because I didn't Ever Comply... But facts are I was effected as much and more so than many. It was things like this I couldn't help but participate in, Because yes, It seemed like a good time to finally close my eyes and rest or "mentally escape". But these types of sessions are used in programs everywhere as part of the "Brainwashing"

We had so little or no contol over our own minds in Straight , It is frightening.

And yes, I do believe that in our "Brainwashing " We were forced to forget the many trainings such as this. Amazing for everyone , it has taken right around 15 years to WAKE up from this Trance Straight Imposed on us.

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
Guided Imagery ?
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 02:55:00 PM »
It is like a WAKE UP talking about this. I remember when we were doing this " TOUR " so to say it would take us to a world of happy happy joy joy. Also I remember doing skits about what our lives were like before straight...Was just a good way for them to blow people away for glamorizing their druggie past, or praise people for thinking of themselves as " BOPS ".

The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
--John Adams, U.S. President