Author Topic: BRAT CAMP TEEN ARRESTED  (Read 19367 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
BRAT CAMP TEEN ARRESTED
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2005, 04:01:00 PM »
Let me explain to you why some of us don't just post our names and give details of our stories.  

It's not, certainly in my case, that I think you, Dysfunctional, are a dangerous person who should not know my personal story.  And it's also not because I am in some kind of awe of you and afraid you won't approve of me.

In  my own case---and I would imagine the cases of some others---my decision not to post my name relates to the fact that this is not just my story---it is the story of our whole family.

If I speak in identifiable detail I speak even for family members who wish to remain anonymous.

Think for a moment of a situation where I might, say have a daughter or son who graduated from a school or program and who is about to apply to the police academy or to some professional school.  That child might not want the details of a troubled adolescenc bandied about---possibly coming to the attention of future teachers or employers who don't really understand the whole subject.  

Or I might have a spouse who is a very private person and who doesn't want to share this story on a web site, however good the outcome for our family.

I expect that you have lived long enough and experienced enough to have understanding of such reasons for posting without using a real name. Doubtless at some point in the future many of us will be in a position to be more transparent in our communications
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
BRAT CAMP TEEN ARRESTED
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2005, 06:10:00 PM »
All I asked for was the name of the program, nothing else.

Using the "I don't wish to reveal my identity" statement is a non sequitur.

One has nothing at all to do with the other.  It just diminishes your credibility because you talk all kinds of B.S. about "our program" and never back it up with a single fact.

Again, what program has all licensed psychologists, MA or better,  "junior staffers?"  If you can't name the program, then I have to assume you're lying for whatever reason.  

To my knowledge, such a program simply does not exist.  Prove me wrong or admit the "whopper."
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
BRAT CAMP TEEN ARRESTED
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2005, 06:16:00 PM »
On 2005-08-05 13:01:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Let me explain to you why some of us don't just post our names and give details of our stories.  

It's not, certainly in my case, that I think you, Dysfunctional, are a dangerous person who should not know my personal story.  And it's also not because I am in some kind of awe of you and afraid you won't approve of me.

In  my own case---and I would imagine the cases of some others---my decision not to post my name relates to the fact that this is not just my story---it is the story of our whole family.

If I speak in identifiable detail I speak even for family members who wish to remain anonymous.

Think for a moment of a situation where I might, say have a daughter or son who graduated from a school or program and who is about to apply to the police academy or to some professional school.  That child might not want the details of a troubled adolescenc bandied about---possibly coming to the attention of future teachers or employers who don't really understand the whole subject.  

Or I might have a spouse who is a very private person and who doesn't want to share this story on a web site, however good the outcome for our family.

I expect that you have lived long enough and experienced enough to have understanding of such reasons for posting without using a real name. Doubtless at some point in the future many of us will be in a position to be more transparent in our communications

"

hey karen,  youre not at struggling trolls, you relaly can post a program name here without it being deleted.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
BRAT CAMP TEEN ARRESTED
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2005, 06:54:00 PM »
So what if this is Karenindallas? What does that prove--- why don't you tell us who you are? HUH?!?!

I sent my son to a program twice, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. You kids over here at fornits are just that---- kids. All the 4 letter words, and namecalling are just plain ridiculous and I am getting quite fed up. I stopped signing my posts here because you are all rude, vile creatures of your own hate!

I hate fornits so much, I am going to write my congressman a letter and tell him. Yes, I have THAT much free time and nothing better to do. You think you are all that-- let me tell you, you are not. I am a lawyer and am much smarter than everyone here. Much smarter. So much, I am surprised any of you can read, let alone type.

I will spend everyday of the rest of my life at Fornits just to counter-point all your arguments programs are bad. It is my duty. No-- the programs don't pay me, I do this all on my own merit. Why? Because I think every teen is evil and should be locked away. You damn kids--- you never learn. Soon I will have all people who post on fornits arrested, I am THAT powerful. Watch and see.

The programs will never be shut down!! Keep trying though IDIOTS!

karenindallas
[email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
BRAT CAMP TEEN ARRESTED
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2005, 08:21:00 PM »
Keep on playing games---that would be satire and ridicule---it's amusing, no question, but it gets nowhere in terms of common ground

Some of you posters here are very damaged, that's clear, maybe by bad programs, maybe by programs that just weren't sophisticated enough to deal with your complicated problems

The question remains: who among you will honestly say that there should not be programs to help adolescents who are self-destructive to an extent that is personally dangerous---who could be so cruel?

Say so if that is what you mean---spare us the satire and explain why kids should be allowed to throw away their lives for lack of experience in the world---without adult intervention

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
BRAT CAMP TEEN ARRESTED
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2005, 09:05:00 PM »
Karen is not visiting this site anymore.  I tried to engage in some meaningful dialogue, and you have gone right back to the games.  Someone is misrepresenting themselves as Karen and I find it impossible to treat those of you on this site as adults.
My son went to a TBS in Virginia. I am not going to debate how many degrees the junior staff therapists had, but with a couple of exceptions they were excellent, compassionate and gifted therapists.  My son is still in contact with a number of the staff-even though he chose to leave the school.  My son still has some maturing to do. He had some addiction issues going into the program as well as issues with authority.  Karen's son is a very unusual kid- very different from most of the kids in the programs, but considered one of the more resistant to therapy.  Everyone seemed to agree that he will either be the next Bill Gates or Jack Welch or else the next Jimmy Hoffa- after the 1012 Olympics, that is.  
I also don't know the relapse rate- I believe it is high.  However, that doesn't mean we, as parents, were not going to try to save our kids.

Ben's Dad

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
BRAT CAMP TEEN ARRESTED
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2005, 09:11:00 PM »
Karen is not visiting this site anymore.  I tried to engage in some meaningful dialogue, and you have gone right back to the games.  Someone is misrepresenting themselves as Karen and I find it impossible to treat those of you on this site as adults.
My son went to a TBS in Virginia. I am not going to debate how many degrees the junior staff therapists had, but with a couple of exceptions they were excellent, compassionate and gifted therapists.  My son is still in contact with a number of the staff-even though he chose to leave the school.  My son still has some maturing to do. He had some addiction issues going into the program as well as issues with authority.  Karen's son is a very unusual kid- very different and more intelligent than most of the kids in the programs, but considered one of the more resistant to therapy.  Everyone seemed to agree that he will either be the next Bill Gates or Jack Welch or else the next Jimmy Hoffa- after the 1012 Olympics, that is.  
I also don't know the relapse rate- I believe it is high.  However, that doesn't mean we, as parents, were not going to try to save our kids.

Ben's Dad

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
BRAT CAMP TEEN ARRESTED
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2005, 09:39:00 PM »
I get the sense that you think I am misrepresenting myself as Karen---let me say---"I am not Karen"---I just happened on this site--at this point in time---and am convinced that there is more to wilderness/therauptic schools that the posters here would indicate.

At present I and other parents are in fact trying to set up a school in Idaho---my own child graduated from a program there some years ago and I remain convinced that these programs can do so much good that we personally are willing to sink our savings into keeping programs like this  going.

To Ben's dad--don't give up on your son--- or on this site.  Some kids take longer than others to catch on to the meaning of life, I know that from some of my son's friends--and this site---well you'll never maybe convert the true believers but your comments may help others---I hope you continue to participate because your own experience, well it's the real thing, the struggle between a child trying to find a way in the world and a parent trying to offer guidance.  Don't be embarrassed that it is a messy process---life is messy simply because it is dynamic and multifaceted---shame on those who want to simplify the intrinsic nature of life (even though---understandably---for our individual offspring we may wish that the whole process could take the easiest course available).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
BRAT CAMP TEEN ARRESTED
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2005, 11:05:00 PM »
Thanks for your post.  No, I didn't think you were representing yourself as Karen- the person who signed her name and included her email address did, though.
Good luck with your school.  It is a tough process, but many teens need help.
Ben's Dad

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
BRAT CAMP TEEN ARRESTED
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2005, 12:32:00 AM »
On 2005-08-05 17:21:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Keep on playing games---that would be satire and ridicule---it's amusing, no question, but it gets nowhere in terms of common ground

Some of you posters here are very damaged, that's clear, maybe by bad programs, maybe by programs that just weren't sophisticated enough to deal with your complicated problems

The question remains: who among you will honestly say that there should not be programs to help adolescents who are self-destructive to an extent that is personally dangerous---who could be so cruel?

Say so if that is what you mean---spare us the satire and explain why kids should be allowed to throw away their lives for lack of experience in the world---without adult intervention

"

It depends on the type of program. The programs that are objected to in this forum are those that are coercive. There is only one way to survive these programs, and that is to comply with them. The act of forcing teens through these programs can, in and of itself, be damaging. No one here would say that a struggling teen should be denied help. It is the type of help that is at issue.

These programs are largely non-existent for adults simply because an adult would not tolerate being treated this way and leave. Teens, with no such rights (or perception of such rights) are stuck. This raises the ethical question as to why teens should be denied this right. Some states have laws that prevent forcing teens into therapy against their will. In the UK (where the teens for the first two brat camps came from), a child 16 and older cannot be held anywhere against their will (false imprisonment).

Personally, I find this form of coercion to be unethical. It violates my innate sense of fair play, freedom of thought, and freedom of choice that I always thought this country was all about. A person has the right to fail. To me, a forced thought reform program is a violation of a person's basic human rights.
I also believe that ultimately, a person cannot be forced to change, they have to want to and be committed to the change.

It has frequently been mentioned that there has been no long term research to indicate the success or failure rate of these programs. I disagree. The methods used have been around for at least 40 years and the results in the form of state-run boot camps and the new-age self-improvement movement of the 70s and 80s have demonstrated the results to be disasterous. That is why these programs no longer exist. States closed the camps. The new-age programs were sued out of existence. Some have been labeled 'cults.' Don't be fooled by the wilderness or TBS setting; the technique is the same.

Another objection is to the 'one-size-fits-all' approach. At Brat Camp there are nine teens with different problems. To me, it is obvious from the show that Derrick, at least, should not have gone to this program. He is failing miserably in the show and it is painfully obvious. He should be yanked out and another solution sought. Everything I have ever read about ADHD states that medication and cognative therapy get the best results and that behavior modification gets the worst results.

The coercive nature of these programs is such they refuse to recognize students that should be pulled out. It is as if the program cannot admit failure. Compounding this error is the idea that the student doesn't leave until they comply. How long does it take before someone wakes up and realizes it is not working and never will? Some kids spend years in these programs with nothing to show for it except lost years and poor parents.

Finally, it is just plain stupid to take a student that relapses and send them back into a progam. If someting does not work the first time, repeating the failure makes no sense. Try something else.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
BRAT CAMP TEEN ARRESTED
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2005, 12:50:00 AM »
On 2005-08-05 13:01:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Let me explain to you why some of us don't just post our names and give details of our stories.  

"

You do realize that one of the strongest objections to Brat Camp is exactly what you are describing above. The privacy of these teens has been compromised and will haunt them. Isaiah was arrested recently and his name was printed in the news article which detailed that he was one of the Brat Campers. It's starting already. He is only 17.

Lauren mentioned in an interview that when she signed the release papers to be filmed, she thought she was to appear in a show similar in nature to MTVs Real World. It appears to me that she was misled into signing away her rights to patient/therapist privacy.

Watching the show Brat Camp with twice weekly therapy sessions and seemingly engaged and caring counselors, it appears that this is about as good a program of its type one could hope to find. And yet, I still find it objectionable. I would not call it therapy, it is clearly coercive in nature, and based on the outcomes, it is not very effective.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
BRAT CAMP TEEN ARRESTED
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2005, 08:41:00 AM »
On 2005-08-05 18:05:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Karen is not visiting this site anymore.  I tried to engage in some meaningful dialogue, and you have gone right back to the games.  Someone is misrepresenting themselves as Karen and I find it impossible to treat those of you on this site as adults.

My son went to a TBS in Virginia. I am not going to debate how many degrees the junior staff therapists had, but with a couple of exceptions they were excellent, compassionate and gifted therapists.  My son is still in contact with a number of the staff-even though he chose to leave the school.  My son still has some maturing to do. He had some addiction issues going into the program as well as issues with authority.  Karen's son is a very unusual kid- very different from most of the kids in the programs, but considered one of the more resistant to therapy.  Everyone seemed to agree that he will either be the next Bill Gates or Jack Welch or else the next Jimmy Hoffa- after the 1012 Olympics, that is.  

Ben's Dad"

Of COURSE you're not going to "debate" the level of expertise of the staff at "your program."  I knew you would beg off topic once you were caught perpetuating a fallacy that directly destroys your already tenuous credibility.

It amazes me sometimes the length that people will go to avoid admitting mistakes, even ones that are of no real consequence.  

The same reason that you won't FACTUALLY debate "your program" is the self-same reason why you sent your kid there in the first place: You simply cannot be humble and admit your mistakes, so you sent your kid somewhere to be "fixed" by a bunch of pseudo-therapeutic hacks.

Ben's Dad, however well-intentioned you may be, or however you may APPEAR to want to discuss these programs, it's painfully apparent that to engage in debate that requires FACTUAL verification of your "story" means that you will be made to look incredible, and your ego simply cannot allow that.

Whenever you are ready to back up your extremely dubious statements, feel free to post a coherent argument, and we can resume some meaningful dialogue.

Good day, sir.

-Arnold Schopenhauer[ This Message was edited by: Dysfunction Junction on 2005-08-06 05:42 ]
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
BRAT CAMP TEEN ARRESTED
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2005, 09:27:00 AM »
On 2005-08-05 18:39:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I get the sense that you think I am misrepresenting myself as Karen---let me say---"I am not Karen"---I just happened on this site--at this point in time---and am convinced that there is more to wilderness/therauptic schools that the posters here would indicate.

At present I and other parents are in fact trying to set up a school in Idaho---my own child graduated from a program there some years ago and I remain convinced that these programs can do so much good that we personally are willing to sink our savings into keeping programs like this  going.

To Ben's dad--don't give up on your son--- or on this site.  Some kids take longer than others to catch on to the meaning of life, I know that from some of my son's friends--and this site---well you'll never maybe convert the true believers but your comments may help others---I hope you continue to participate because your own experience, well it's the real thing, the struggle between a child trying to find a way in the world and a parent trying to offer guidance.  Don't be embarrassed that it is a messy process---life is messy simply because it is dynamic and multifaceted---shame on those who want to simplify the intrinsic nature of life (even though---understandably---for our individual offspring we may wish that the whole process could take the easiest course available).

"

Baloney ... the only thing you remain convinced of is how much money these programs make.

Parents getting into the business of coercive behavior control, that's really rich.

Couldn't do it at home so now you figure you'll use the wilderness to do your dirty work.  

How's it feel to be a loser human being?  Get a life, pal.  Kids are not for sale.

:smokin:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
BRAT CAMP TEEN ARRESTED
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2005, 09:40:00 AM »
Well, guys. I'm outa here.  It is clearly impossible to have any meaningful discussions. I apologize to those of you who are able to be respectful and coherent, but this just isn't a healthy place to be.
Karen was right.

Ben's Dad

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
BRAT CAMP TEEN ARRESTED
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2005, 09:50:00 AM »
karenindallas SAID

?I hate fornits so much, I am going to write my congressman a letter and tell him. Yes, I have THAT much free time and nothing better to do. You think you are all that-- let me tell you, you are not. I am a lawyer and am much smarter than everyone here. Much smarter. So much, I am surprised any of you can read, let alone type.

I will spend everyday of the rest of my life at Fornits just to counter-point all your arguments programs are bad. It is my duty. No-- the programs don't pay me, I do this all on my own merit. Why? Because I think every teen is evil and should be locked away. You damn kids--- you never learn. Soon I will have all people who post on fornits arrested, I am THAT powerful. Watch and see.

The programs will never be shut down!! Keep trying though IDIOTS!?

Hey KarininDallas! Guess what, I am soon to be a LAWYER TOO! As an adult, I think you are by far the most childish so-called adult I have seen in a long time. And I am not the least bit impressed by your rantings. I despise the way you insult posters here and seem to think you are some superior person because you?re a lawyer. Big deal. And I hate to break it to you?.lawyers are NOT smarter than the rest of the world.

You?ve met you match?..let me tell you what I intend to do with my legal career and the ?power? (as you call it)  that comes with it. Prove that kids are NOT evil!?That they need love, compassion, and understanding?and yes, discipline?and, parents that can accept some amount of responsibility for their children?s problems because all relationships are a two-way street. I also intend to spread the word about how damaging certain program can be, but support those few programs that DO NOT abuse, demoralize, humiliate nor engage in coercive tactics. And while you are busy trying to arrest them?I will be very busy fighting, as a lawyer, on their behalf.

I am one former ?troubled teen,? who has done time in Straight, Inc., and will not rest until the hell I went through there becomes something good. Yes, I have ?tuned my life around? as a program would say?.BUT Straight is NOT what "turned me around." It took years after getting out that hell before I could put Straight/HELL behind me and move on...Oh and one other thing?I back up all the former Straightlings (and other drug war POW?s) here that posted?.they have perfectly valid reasons to be angry and make numerous valid points?the only difference is I know how to play lawyer ?games.?  And I will spend the rest of my life supporting them and supporting and fighting for the kids who now stand in the shoes we once stood.