Author Topic: OK what's your Idea  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
OK what's your Idea
« on: July 31, 2005, 04:08:00 PM »
I know a Male age 19 Crack addict
does almost any other drug as well.
What should I tell him to do.
He is willing to try.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
OK what's your Idea
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 11:48:00 PM »
What should you tell him to do? Nothing. All that you can do is suggest that he seek treatment, and possibly cite some information about where he can find the treatment... If he's got money, I'd suggest Hazelden in Plymouth, Minnesota. It worked wonders for me.

Just remember that you can't make your friend do anything that he doesn't want to. No one but he can say that he's ready to be sober.

Good luck,

Mike

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
OK what's your Idea
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 04:52:00 AM »
If he's a crack addict he probably needs medical help detoxing. Detox centers are usually around a ten day stay and will help you find financial resources to put him through it. If in Canada welfare will probably help you. After that he'll need a stable place to live. Once finding the stable place he'll probably need a lot of assistance in taking baby steps back to a normal life, whether it be school or work. Usually after having been removed from "normal" life we need a lot of help registering, getting identification, drivers licenses, cars, writing resumes etc. Most of us remember that from coming out of Straight/AARC etc. Of course he'll need a friend who doesn't nag but inspires or encourages. It's very easy to feel that you are under preassure when in the fishbowl stage of recovery where everyone is looking at you expecting you to do something.