Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - Oscar

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 46
I found two articles. Despite the severe needs the girls have, it seems that the facility is so understaffed that there now have been two riots.

Foundations For Living juveniles create a disturbance, 1 arrested, 5 run and are subsequently located
by Emily Johnson, Richland source, January 14 - 2014

The Mansfield Police Department, with assistance from the Richland County Sheriff's Office and the Ohio State Highway Patrol, responded to a call concerning a “riot” at Foundations For Living on Sunday, Jan. 12 at 6:48 pm. The facility is located at 1451 St. Rt. 39.

According to the police report, Mansfield Police officers were dispatched to the facility in response to a riot and an assault of staff members. The incident took place on the third floor of the facility, where juvenile residents were causing a disturbance.

The juveniles approached one of the male staff members and physically assaulted him and then took the keys to the facility, the report stated. Two other staff members who attempted to assist in handling the situation were also assaulted, said the report.

Sgt. Chad Brubaker stated that some of the staff members locked themselves in a stairwell for safety purposes.

A sixteen-year-old girl involved in the assault was arrested and transported to Juvenile Detention. Three other juveniles were issued summons and released to the custody of the facility staff, the report said.

One of the juveniles was transported to MedCentral by the Mansfield Fire Department after allegedly hitting a wall and harming herself according to Sgt. Brubaker.

The report noted that none of the staff members required medical treatment.

Sgt. Brubaker stated, “We were able to initiate arrests and manage the situation quickly upon arrival.”

According to the report, two other juveniles ran away from the facility prior to the officers' arrival, and they were entered into LEADS system as runaways.

Then, on Monday morning at 10:17 am, Richland County Sheriff's Deputy Jeff Winbigler was dispatched to 880 Laver Road and the area of the Heatherwood Plaza in reference to several juveniles hanging around the area since Sunday night, said the sheriff's report.

As the area was being searched, another call came in stating that five juveniles were hiding in the laundry room at the Mansfield Inn, the report stated.

Deputy Winbigler stated in the report, “Upon pulling into the parking lot I saw the juveniles run into the back parking lot of the motel. I went to the rear of the motel and found all five running across the parking lot and into a wooded area.”

The report further stated that the juveniles were taken into custody. Although none of them admitted to being runaways from the facility, it was later confirmed that they were the juveniles missing from the incident that occurred Sunday night, said the report.

The juveniles were transported back to Foundations For Living and released into staff custody, the report concluded.

According to their website , Foundations For Living is a mid-to-long-term residential treatment center for youth 11 to 17 years of age, with a minimum IQ of 55. The 84-bed center is accredited by CARF and licensed by the Ohio Department of Mental Health.

The facility has a significant history of police calls. From Jan. 1, 2013 to Jan. 12, 2014, the Mansfield Police Department recorded a total of 108 calls for service: 33 for assault; 15 for structure fires, which were largely false alarms or alarm issues; attempted suicides; medical assists; sex crimes, and theft.

Staff at Foundations of Living refused to comment and demanded that the media vacate the premises.

Five teens issued summonses after 'riot' at Foundations for Living
Mansfield News Journal, by Monroe Trombly and Lou Whitmire, December 11 - 2019

MANSFIELD - Five teenage girls were issued summonses on charges ranging from rioting, disorderly conduct, assault and resisting arrest after an employee at Foundations for Living reported that residents were trying to take over a floor at the treatment facility Tuesday night.

Two juvenile girls were issued summonses and released to staff after a man told police they had struck him in the face with a closed fist. In the report, police say the man had a visible injury to his bottom lip.

In addition, two other juvenile girls were issued summonses for disorderly conduct and released to staff, while a fifth girl was transported to the Juvenile Justice Center after police said in the report she slipped out of her handcuffs and cursed at officers. She was issued summonses for resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

The treatment facility at 1451 Ohio 39 South is the subject of frequent police calls. Mansfield police Capt. Shari Robertson said records show that from Jan. 1, 2018, to Oct. 15, 2019,  police have responded exactly 250 times to the facility on a variety of calls including injured persons, runaways and more.

The most frequent calls to Foundations for Living are to runaways juveniles, assaults and disturbances, Robertson said.

A supervisor at the facility called 911 around 7 p.m. Tuesday, according to the 911 recording, and said six juveniles were involved. She said she wasn't sure if anyone was injured. The dispatcher said to call back if anyone was injured and dispatch would call emergency squads to the facility.

"We have a whole unit that is out of control. They are scattered literally everywhere throughout the building. They have metal pieces that they have broken off the doors," the supervisor said on the tape.

When police first arrived, employees told officers that two juvenile girls had assaulted a 30-year-old man after running from the recreation yard, and that one of the girls had a "sharp metal object" fashioned as a weapon. Police were informed that three other juvenile girls were still in the recreation yard attempting to climb a fence to escape.

Police located the first two girls, ordered them to the ground, and took them into custody without incident.

One of them had given the metal piece to a staff member before police arrived, according to the report.

When police located the other three girls in the recreation yard, one was handcuffed without incident, and another started to run from police but complied when told to stop and get on the ground, the report states.

The third girl was at first handcuffed without incident, police said in the report, but she pulled away from an officer, slipped out of her handcuffs, and yelled, "F*** the police." After a short struggle, she was placed in handcuffs again, the report states.

The five girls cited in the report are between 12 and 17 years old.

Five Mansfield police cruisers were seen shortly before 8 p.m. Tuesday outside the residential treatment center, which provides mental health and substance abuse/dependence treatment to adolescents.

Karen Spires, CEO for Foundations for Living, responded to News Journal questions in an email.

"Foundations for Living is an 84-bed resident treatment facility for youth between the ages of 11-18. Our residents have mental health, substance use disorders and complex behavioral issues; and we also serve survivors of human trafficking," Spires said.

Most of the youth at the center are from Ohio but the facility does serve youth from surrounding states, she said. The average length of treatment is four to six months, depending on the treatment plan required.

"Working with troubled youth, we believe children can rise to their full potential when they are grounded in the norms of social behavior and supported by a root structure of values and attitudes that nurture self-discipline, responsibility and a sense of self-worth, Spires said.

"As a facility we strive to continuously improve our processes and will certainly review this incident to identify what processes may need to be addressed to prevent future incidents," she said.

"At Foundations for Living, we offer proven, evidence-based programs that capitalize on the strengths of youth with emotional or behavioral problems. We have talented, dedicated professionals who inspire youth— even those who have failed in previous programs — to shed the weight and pain of their past, lift their sights to the limitless sky…and soar," Spires said.

She thanked the police for their swift response.

So far this month, police responded to facility for six calls: four calls for police and two calls for the Mansfield Fire Department.

At 7:23 a.m. Wednesday, Mansfield firefighters responded to the facility for an accidental fire alarm pull. There was no fire, according to the fire department.

Mansfield Police respond to Foundations for Living for 'riot' Tuesday night
by Monroe Trombly, Mansfield News Journal, December 11 - 2019

MANSFIELD - Mansfield police and the Richland County Sheriff's Office responded to Foundations for Living, 1451 Ohio 39, shortly after 7 p.m. Tuesday for a report of a "riot," and police were told that residents were attempting to "take over a floor," according to a report from the Mansfield Police Department. 

Two juvenile girls were issued summonses and released to staff after a man told police they had struck him in the face with a closed fist. In the report, police say the man had a visible injury to his bottom lip.

In addition, two other juvenile girls were issued summonses for disorderly conduct and released to staff, while a fifth girl was transported to the Juvenile Justice Center after police said in the that report she slipped out of her handcuffs and cursed at officers. She was issued summonses for resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

When police first arrived, employees told police that two juvenile girls had assaulted a 30-year-old man after running from the recreation yard, and that one of the girls had a "sharp metal object" fashioned as a weapon. Police were informed that three other juvenile girls were still in the recreation yard attempting to climb a fence to escape.

Police located the first two girls, ordered them to the ground, and they were taken into custody without incident.

One of them had given the metal piece to a staff member before police arrived, according to the report.

When police located the other three girls in the recreation yard, one was handcuffed without incident, the report states. Another started to run from police, but when told to stop and get on the ground, she complied.

While the third girl was at first handcuffed without incident, police said in the report that she pulled away from an officer, slipped out of her handcuffs, and yelled, "f*** the police." After a short struggle, she was placed in handcuffs again, the report states.

The five girls mentioned in the report are anywhere from 12-17 years old. Five Mansfield Police cruisers could be seen shortly before 8 p.m. Tuesday outside the residential treatment center, which provides mental health and substance abuse/dependence treatment to adolescents.

An employee at the center declined comment.

Long after Escuela Caribe and New Horizon Academy collapse and new owners had to take over the horror camp in the Dominican Republic, a strange spin-off has been discovered.

Some years ago a book called "A Rock and a Hard Place: One Boy's Triumphant Story" made as a memoir by a boy exposed to abuse became a best-seller. At some point journalists found it interesting to interview the boy who wrote the book.

He has never been found!

It seems that the therapist working at New Horizon Academy - Marc Allen Zackheim- ghostwrote the book together with his female partner - Vicki Johnson.

Both has since died but not after two criminal investigations into his past which in one case put him in prison.

So the tale of New Horizon Ministries ends up with a mystery and possible fraud.

Where all the money went earned by exposing numerous children to abuse since 1970 has not been revealed. How such a person became therapist and how he was allowed to work all these years also remain a mystery.

How runs the campus which used to be Escuela Caribe today? Are children been abuse? Can anyone put names of some of the abusers beside the therapist?


Feed Your Head / Denmark is not like the country, the democrats talk about
« on: February 26, 2020, 03:00:19 AM »
The Democrats often mention Denmark where I live as a perfect example when it comes to healthcare.

However, this is not the case when we are talking mental illnesses at children. Then there is no free tax-paid treatment. Mental illnesses are in many cases seen as embarassing and shameful even by people in the official healthcare system.

There is a historical reason for that.

Remember all the nazi death camps and the effort to build the perfect strong race.

In Denmark we did not go so far as putting people in camps and kill them. Instead we isolated mentally or morally wrong challenged people on remote islands and operated on them so they could not reproduce. If they spoke out too clearly or otherwise protested they got lobotomized.

It was healthcare minister Karl Kristian Steincke who in in the 1920's got the parliament to make laws which aimed at improved euginetics. For the next 40 years men and women were sent to two islands where they lived genderseparated and only were allowed to leave when it was ensured that they could not produce children.

Even today the present system continues to build on the present legislation as it is important for Denmark to be seen as the country in the world who has the happiest people as citizens.

So if a child do suffer from depression, the parents are punished. According to law 498 from 2011 and the appeal boards desicion 158-12, parents are required to pay for the treatment of their children in grouphomes when it comes to certain handicaps or mental illnesses. The reason is the many handicaps can be discovered during the pregnancy which then can be brought to an end before the child enters the world.

Secondary what if one of the parents themselves have suffered from depression? Can they infect the children? The present opinion is YES among social care workers and they are backed by the appeal boards.

One family in Egedal near Copenhagen lost 186,000 DKK (about 27,000 dollars) - their entire saving as result of illness among their children. Remember that Danes pay more than half their income in taxes and pay interest for having money in the bank (strange system but true), so saving up is hard.

The doctors at the hospital even warned again splitting up the daughter from the mother but system ignored them and as result the child now suffers from no less than 4 illnesses: Schizoaffective disorder, depression, PTSD and symptoms of Asbergers.

So the family did not only get a sick daughter thanks to the makings of the social care workers but also they got bankrupted.

This is the real Denmark.

This is not the Denmark, the democrats are talking about.

Do they know better or are they just ill informed?


The Troubled Teen Industry / New Bethel Boys Academy documentary
« on: February 10, 2020, 01:39:16 AM »
Link to the website of the documentary

The Bethel movie

It is located in Aubrey, Texas

The owner seems to have taken a military title without ever earning it in the military:

Here is a parents review:
Monica M. wrote in 2014:
I contacted this group to help me get control of my teenage daughter. The programs seems great but as I got further into it, I feel they are unorganized. I expressed my feelings of being unorganized and "The Major took it as a personal attack rather than the truth. The "Major" gave me information to report my daughter as a runaway even though I knew where she was. I read other reviews that said he has not even served in the military, but  demands the title as "Major" .  I decided to take intervention into my own hands. I was able to get her home.  I did have to call the police for assistance, but they told me that I would be in trouble if I reported her as a runaway because I did indeed know where she was. No, no, no: That's not what " The Major"  told me. There was another situation, which we got into a big disagreement about, but I will just leave it as they don't have all there ducks in a row. I can't trust  them, so I can't trust my  family going there. The day I got her home was hell, but the days since then have been a work in progress. Things are looking up for us.......

Koda S. wrote in 2018:
Get Motivated is the worst decision you can make for your kid and or kids. I attended this place because my grandpa had run across Major Dankowski during a family battle to "take me down" they fooled me into getting there, I slept all the way there just to have 3 men in military uniforms pull me out of a car and make me take almost everything off. The "projection" method is just another word for them to use to make you think they don't actually yell at you but that is the biggest bullshit lie ever. Major Dan can and will forever rot in hell for the things he does to kids.

Ethan P. wrote in 2015:
This place is hell on earth for your children. Do not take them here. This place promotes abuse and instills unnecessary and extreme fear into children. Do not go here. If you are having issues with your child, there are many other viable and more helpful options to help you and your child.

The Troubled Teen Industry / Camp Consequence in Florida
« on: February 02, 2020, 03:04:19 PM »
The Camp was a part of a TV-show called "Extreme Brat Camp"

Here is a review found on Google:

Matt G wrote:
I was forced into this program at a young age because my parents were desperate for an easy fix to a problem that was built over years, listen to my story before you send your child here. I'm in my 20s now, and here's my take on this place: Its a huge waste of money and time.

Taking your children to a culty christian boot camp run by two of the most arrogant people I've ever met in my life won't fix your children, you're the problem. A problem you can't throw money at. Break the habits that got you to this point in your life, no amount of money or child programs will help you, sheer will and a mind set of "I want both myself and my children to be decent people". If you want an easy fix and you think "2 days and that's it, my kids will be perfect", you're not caring enough and don't want to see your children change. Teach your children the freedom of choice when it comes to religion, teach them morals, values and instill respect at an early age, have them work at 15 years old to instill a value of money, limit their screen time and push them to do their best as school. Teach them that there are consequences for everything and don't hold their hand for everything. Teach them to be a better person, not so they can go to w/e after life your religion promises good people but so they can be good people.

Think long and hard about your kid, who prob sits in his/her room all day playing minecraft and ask yourself "What am I doing wrong?" Maybe the constant fighting you do with your wife/husband or the terrible way you handle things makes him/her not even want to deal with you. Shame on you if you think sending your kid to a problem camp will fix them over night. The fix is only there at camp and if the problems that are generated over years at home aren't fixed now they won't be fixed if you send your kid here for 1-30 days. If you think an instant lifestyle change will fix your childs issues without you changing your ways then you need this place for sure. Someone much older than you will basically force you to live by their lifestyle to raise your kids, have fun.

Also on the situation got worse after a stay in the camp: She was angry at us and she grabbed a knife (gory details, be warned)

When you are old enough to give consent, the therapists can groom you and have other types of sexual encounters in Montana. That must be the conclusion of the investigation against Chaffin Pullan.

It is properly not what the parents hoped for when they sent their daughters to treatment in Montana but it is what they got.

Rape conviction in Utah underscores risks at programs for troubled teens in Montana
by Seaborn Larson,Montana Standard, February 14 - 2019

A former therapist at a private teen treatment program near Kalispell was convicted in 2018 of repeatedly raping a 16-year-old girl he was caring for in one-on-one sessions at a program in Utah.

Jason Calder pleaded guilty in Utah District Court to four felonies, including rape, object rape, forcible sexual abuse and obstructing justice. As part of the plea agreement, 12 sexual assault-related charges were dismissed, the Salt Lake Tribune reported in January 2018.

Authorities opened the case after the girl disclosed the abuses to another therapist.

Calder worked seven years as a therapist at Summit Preparatory School near Kalispell, and only worked with boys, Rick Johnson, founder and director of development at Summit told the Missoulian on Thursday. He said no complaints were ever leveled against Calder in Montana; his background check came back clean and no previous employers raised any flags in reference calls before he began working there in 2007. Calder left the school in 2014 for a job with a higher position at a program in Utah, Johnson said.

“We were actually very surprised, very appalled, and I was just saddened by all the clients that he worked with that maybe he had been inappropriate with,” Johnson said in a phone interview.

Had the abuses happened in Montana, the 16-year-old girl's allegations may not have led to prosecution.

Since October, a private teen treatment program near Thompson Falls has been sued three times by families alleging program administrators at Reflections Academy failed to protect their daughters from grooming and subsequent sexual relationships with an employee there. Sanders County prosecutors told the Missoulian in December they declined to press charges against Chaffin Pullan because the girls' ages were above the age of consent.

Johnson said Monday that, while he hasn't seen the details of the proposal, he supports a bill currently moving through the Legislature to make it a crime for therapists, licensed or unlicensed, to engage in sexual relationships with residents at private residential treatment programs in Montana.

“Certainly any therapist that has sex with a client should be held criminally responsible for that behavior,” he said. “That almost has the flavor of incest. It makes you sick to your stomach to think about it.”

The bill, HB 282, carried by Rep. Denley Loge, R-St. Regis, has passed approval of the House and will next be heard by the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Johnson said Summit employs training with all employees to eliminate any potentially suggestive behavior, completes reference checks and conducts background checks for all employees.

It has turned out to be the end for Northwest Academy - previously known as Horizon Academy. The owners and one teacher were arrested on various charges related to endangering the lives of the students.

Nevada closes school for at-risk teens after owners' arrests
by Associated Press, February 16 - 2019

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Nevada officials have shut down a boarding school for at-risk teens after its owners were accused of forcing students to drink tainted tap water.

State health department spokeswoman Chrystal Main said Friday that Northwest Academy in Amargosa Valley has closed.

A telephone message to the facility about 90 miles west of Las Vegas was not immediately answered.

Defense attorney Malcolm LaVergne and Nye County sheriff's officials say owners Marcel and Patricia Chappuis (shap-WEE') posted bail to be freed from jail pending a March 18 court appearance.

They're accused of endangering 43 students by failing to provide enough bottled water for drinking, washing and cooking to replace tap water contaminated with arsenic.

Patricia Chappuis also faces two felony child abuse counts.

LaVergne says they'll plead not guilty and fight the charges.

Midwest Academy closed, now Northwest Academy closed, Red River Academy closed. Time for looking into the next school to close. We have been working on a new version of the Egedal SEO system created because the social services in a small town in Denmark took some money, they shouldn't have. Just point to the target and all negative articles ever been put online about a certain place will pop up as some of the first pages on various search engines and the authorities will be worried enough to start an investigation.

A mother tried to alienate her son from his father and that resulted in a lawsuit against both the wilderness program but also the transport firm - in this case Right Direction Crisis Intervention. The father and the son lost the case due to technicalities but none can question the abuse the son went through.


Quote from the lawsuit:

A. Factual Background
The following facts are taken from the Amended Complaint ("AC"), including documents incorporated by reference therein (such as the Judgment of Divorce and Stipulation of Settlement regarding custody and visitation), and they are not findings of fact by the Court. The Court assumes these facts to be true for the purpose of deciding this motion and construes them in the light most favorable to plaintiffs, the non-moving parties. For purposes of the summary judgment motion, the Court has also considered the Power of Attorney executed between Ellyn and Second Nature, and the Declaration of Authority granted by Ellyn to Right Direction, which are not disputed by the plaintiffs.1

Plaintiffs are a father and his minor son. (AC ¶¶ 10-11.) In 2002, Kenneth divorced Andrew's mother, Ellyn, who received "sole legal and physical custody" of Andrew, while Kenneth was granted visitation
[42 F.Supp.3d 454]
twice per week and daily telephone contact. (Id. ¶¶ 12, 41; Ex. C2 to Pl. Mot. to Amend at 3, 30.)

In the summer of 2012, Andrew was between his junior and senior years of high school and living with his mother in Manhasset, New York. (AC ¶ 14.) In the early morning of June 20, 2012, Andrew awoke at approximately 5:00 a.m. with three large men in his bedroom, two of whom were standing over him while the third blocked the door. (Id. ¶ 15.) The men displayed handcuffs, and "[a] struggle ensued as . . . Andrew tried desperately to escape." (Id. ¶¶ 15, 17.) The men told Andrew that they were taking him to Utah, and that they would stop any attempt by him to escape. (Id. ¶¶ 17-18.) Andrew asked to speak with his father, or with a friend or attorney, but the men refused. (Id. ¶¶ 20-21.) Andrew briefly attempted to flee, but to no avail. (Id. ¶ 22.)

The men in Andrew's room were employees or agents of defendant Skezics, (id. ¶ 16), who Ellyn hired to take Andrew to Second Nature's wilderness camp in Utah. Skezics is a Utah corporation, and the AC describes defendant Brian Shepherd as a Utah resident and "a principal of Skezics and/or Right Direction." (Id. ¶¶ 6-9, 117.) Defendant Second Nature is also a Utah corporation, and runs the wilderness camp in Utah to which Andrew was taken. (Id. ¶¶ 6, 23-27.) On May 30, 2012, Ellyn executed a power of attorney "in order that Second Nature may, if necessary, in its judgment, authorize or provide care and treatment to [Andrew]" and "to delegate to Second Nature while [Andrew] is in Second Nature's custody, any of the powers of the parent or guardian with respect to [Andrew] regarding his care and custody." (Second Nature 56.1 ¶ 6.) Likewise, Ellyn executed a separate Declaration of Authority authorizing Andrew's transport to Second Nature. (Ex. C to Skezics Mot.)3

Once he arrived at Second Nature, Andrew was forced to wear an orange jumpsuit, hike several miles through difficult terrain with a backpack, eat freeze-dried food, and bathe from a bag of water. (AC ¶¶ 28-37.) His boots were taken from him each night, and he lost 25 pounds. (Id. ¶¶ 31-32.) He repeatedly asked to speak with his father or an attorney, but defendants refused his requests until July 17, 2012, when he was released from Second Nature and first able to speak with his father by phone. (Id. ¶¶ 36-37, 50.)

Kenneth did not know that Andrew was going to Second Nature, and became alarmed when he did not speak to Andrew on June 20, 2012. (Id. ¶ 42.) Prior to that date, he and Andrew spoke on the phone at least once a day and spent at least two days each week together, as was provided
[42 F.Supp.3d 455]
for in Kenneth's Judgment of Divorce and the Stipulation of Settlement he reached with Ellyn. (Id. ¶¶ 38-41; Ex. C. to Pl. Mot. to Amend, at 3, 30.) When Kenneth learned that Andrew went to Second Nature, he called Second Nature and demanded to know whether Andrew was there, but the Second Nature employee who answered would neither confirm nor deny Andrew's presence. (Id. ¶ 44.) Kenneth's attorney made similar inquiries, which were also refused. (Id. ¶ 45.) The AC states that defendants prevented Kenneth from speaking to his son despite their knowledge of his right to daily telephone contact and weekly visitation, as outline in the divorce judgment and the Stipulation of Settlement, although at some point they allowed Kenneth to speak with a therapist, who told him that Andrew was "fine." (Id. ¶¶ 46, 49.) Kenneth eventually spoke to Andrew on July 17, 2012, when he was released from Second Nature. (Id. ¶¶ 50, 53.)

The program and the transport firm denied the father his court-ordered right to talk directly to his son without it having legal consequences.  The wilderness program is known for such abuse already. What is known about this so-called crisis intervention firm.

Vermont school shooting plot suspect recently left Maine treatment center
By Patty Wight, Maine Public • February 21, 2018

A student who was recently enrolled at York County Community College was arrested in his home state of Vermont last week after threatening a mass shooting at his former high school.

According to Vermont police, 18-year-old Jack Sawyer also attended a residential school near Belfast for troubled teens. York County Community College officials say they have no indication that anyone was at risk while Sawyer was a student.

Last Wednesday the Fair Haven Police Department in Vermont was notified that Sawyer was making threats against Fair Haven Union High School, where he had been a student, but Chief William Humphries says it was a follow-up tip from a friend that led to his arrest. The two had spent time together at Ironwood, a residential treatment school in Maine for teens with emotional and behavioral disorders. Sawyer had texted the friend about the school shooting in Florida.

“He had told her that he had been plotting to do the same for the last two years at Fair Haven High School, he said that he had no problem doing it, that he wouldn’t really have any remorse, that had no problem with ending it early,” says Humphries.

Sawyer had also purchased a gun. During an arraignment in court last week, Sawyer pleaded not guilty to several charges, including attempted murder. He’s currently being held without bail.

Until recently, Sawyer was taking a class at York County Community College. President Barbara Finkelstein says he withdrew earlier this month. After the news of his arrest, Finkelstein sent a letter to the school community, saying there was no indication anyone was ever at risk while Sawyer was a student, and emphasizing that safety and security are on ongoing priority.

“We’ve always been very vigilant,” says Finkelstein. “We have an active emergency response team that does practice drills all the time at the college. We have a number of security protocols in place at the college.”

Both Finkelstein and Vermont police credit the tips from Sawyer’s friends for averting violence, and say it’s a good reminder that if you see something suspicious, say something.

From 1923 to 1961 Danish teenage women were sent to the Island of Sprogoe where they were confined until they were sterilized or lobotomized so they could fit into the Danish society again. A crime could be too many boyfriends.

Some died, some escaped with help from local fishermen (the price was becoming their wives). Other ended up institutionalized for the rest of their lives.

Here is a link to the trailer:

CEDU / Brown Schools and derivatives / clones / Northwest Academy closing
« on: September 22, 2018, 03:37:14 PM »
Quote from: The Sandpoint Reader
Northwest Academy closing after 24 years
By Lyndsie Kiebert, AUGUST 30 - 2018

Northwest Academy, a therapeutic boarding school in Bonners Ferry for 16-18 year olds, is closing according to an announcement from the school last week.

Director of Admissions Julia Andrick wrote on that after 24 years, Northwest Academy will close on Sept. 26 due to low enrollment.

“While we believe strongly in our mission to serve the specific needs of older adolescents, we are no longer able to attract a sufficient number of students in today’s treatment landscape who would benefit from this approach,” she said. “Our staff will work closely with Educational Consultants and parents to provide arrangements for our current students who will need further support in other programs, services or communities.”

Andrick, who is also the Admissions Liaison for Boulder Creek Academy in Bonners Ferry, said Boulder Creek — Northwest’s “sister school” — will remain open.

Quote from: The New York Times
‘It’s Like, Who’s Next?’: A Troubled School’s Alarming Death Rate
By Michael Wilson, Sept. 2 - 2018
When four former students from the same school died within months of one another in 2015, it seemed random, a morbid coincidence. Then the number kept growing. At least seven more died the next year.

Their fellow alumni, feeling more anxious with each death, started to keep count. By the time a classmate in Ohio died of a heroin overdose in October, the toll had reached at least 87.

Three weeks later, another fatal overdose in New Jersey: 88. Three more weeks saw another, a schoolteacher in the Bronx found dead in the faculty restroom. Ten days later, No. 90, in Minnesota.

“Damn,” a friend of the last victim wrote on Facebook. “This is outta control.”

All of the dead were alumni of the Family Foundation School, a small boarding academy in rural Hancock, N.Y. Since its opening in the 1980s, the school was an option of last resort for parents who sought help for their teenagers troubled by drug and alcohol abuse or behavioral issues. The students ate and bunked together, were dressed down and punished together. Some attempted to escape together, dashing through the woods to the nearest town and hiding in a McDonald’s bathroom.

And now, alone and back at their respective homes, they were dying, largely of drug overdoses and suicide, their names joining classmates on the list. Again, together.

The school closed in 2014 after a drop in enrollment that followed a self-described truth campaign by alumni telling of abuses there: solitary confinement, so-called “blackouts” of silence and isolation from others, the restraining of unruly students by wrapping them in rugs and duct tape. There were reports of physical abuse in complaints to state officials and the police.

In 2015, a year after the school closed, at least four former students died. The next year, there were at least seven. In a recent Facebook post, a man remembered hanging out with two friends from the school in 2016, following the funeral of another. Both those friends have since died.

Former students sought to find someone to blame, their first target being the school, only to come to terms with a more likely truth, that their dead classmates had been overcome by the sources of despair and addiction that took seed in their youth and brought them to the school in the first place.

It is unclear how many students attended the Family Foundation School over its roughly 30 years in business. A 1986 newspaper article about the school puts its student population at 34. The next decade, a 1998 yearbook — roughly the halfway point in the school’s existence — refers to that year’s graduating class of 30 as its largest ever. The school grew some in the years to come, alumni said.

Emmanuel Argiros, the son of the school’s founders and its former president, declined to comment on the school’s history. “I’m trying to move on,” he said. He has had many conversations with angry former students, he said. “It’s painful to go through it over and over and over again.”

There is no clearinghouse for data regarding mortality rates among secondary schools. Robert M. Friedman, formerly with the Alliance for the Safe, Therapeutic and Appropriate use of Residential Treatment, said he was familiar with the Family Foundation School and the push by alumni to close it down. He said the deaths of graduates are not typically tracked.

“Nobody knows how these kids have done, over all,” he said.

In recent months, many of the school’s former students have pivoted to a sort of social media suicide watch, urging alumni on Facebook to look out for one another. The effort is led by Elizabeth Ianelli, 39, an alumna of the school and a former police instructor, who has tallied the death count — now up to 101, all under the age of 50 and the vast majority under 40.

Ms. Ianelli, whose username is Survivor993 for the number of days she spent at the school, created a Facebook community page called ISeeYouSurvivor, and separately posted a video that she made in her home office in Carmel, N.Y.

“What I want you to know is that I see you,” she said, visibly shaken as she spoke. “I see you. I know what you go though and I’ve been there.” She added later, “Our best revenge is living a good life.”

School of Last Resort

Parents who were struggling with troubled teenage children sent them to the Family Foundation School, near Binghamton, where they were promised their sons and daughters would receive a quality education as well as counseling and tough-love discipline.

A special-education teacher, Lillian Becker, heard about a job opening at the school in 1998 and went for an interview. It was her first time on the campus, where she saw a schoolhouse, trailers and a red barn arranged on a hill that sloped gently down to a pond.

“It looked wonderful,” Ms. Becker said in a recent interview. “Very professional, very clean, very neat and orderly and everybody was very friendly. They had a student give me a tour. She just seemed so happy to be there.”

Ms. Becker got the job. On her first day, she saw something strange. She was asked to monitor a timeout room for 20 minutes until a staff member arrived to take over. “A storage room, probably like 6 feet wide by 12 feet long,” she recalled. “On the floor was this student wrapped in a blanket with duct tape to hold the blanket shut. Just the head was sticking out.”

She was told the student was at risk of hurting others or himself.

She settled into her job as a de facto nurse, making outside medical and dental appointments for students and tending to their aches and pains. She saw other practices that, looking back, she wonders why she didn’t openly question.

The school was arranged in “families,” with staff members designated as “Mom” and “Dad” and their “children,” the students, eating meals together before retiring to bunk beds in trailers, separate for boys and girls. A regular occurrence during meals were “table topics,” when students would stand and accuse, or “bring up,” another classmate over some infraction, Ms. Becker and former students said.

“Susie would get up and say, ‘I want to bring up John,’” Ms. Becker said. “John had to stand up. Now it’s time to basically break this kid down. ‘I saw him flirting,’ something like that.” What regularly followed was a tirade of mocking and scolding from other students and adults, she said. “The staff would chop this kid up.”

Sanctions varied, some involving food — a diet of tuna fish on a dry English muffin was a common punishment — or menial labor, with students burying rocks in the dirt one day, only to be ordered to dig them up the next. Others were social in nature, called “blackouts.”''

“If you were on house blackout, you were not allowed to talk to anyone outside of the family you were in,” said Emily Valentine, a student in 2001 and 2002. The most extreme blackout was called exile, leaving the student to sit in a corner, alone, at meals. “You weren’t allowed to talk to anyone or look anyone in the eye,” said Wesley Good, an alumnus from 2009. “You were a ghost.”

Some students reacted physically. “I flipped out and punched my counselor,” said Elizabeth Boysick, who entered the school in 2000. Ms. Boysick said she was placed in a janitor’s closet for the infraction. “Rugs in there, rugs on the wall. Nobody was to talk to you.”

Steve Sullivan attended the school from 1999 until 2002, and went on to serve time in prison years later for burglary and robbery. He said he would fight others at every opportunity, beginning on his first day, when he lashed out at staff members who were trying to search him for contraband. “I was thrown in an 8-by-8 isolation room,” he said. “Lunch and dinner were both tuna. I’d spend days in there on end.” Once, he kicked the door off its hinges.

Former students could remember who watched them while they were bound or locked up: other students, effectively deputized by staff members to serve as jailers.

Some of those accounts are corroborated by the reports of state officials who, after receiving complaints, conducted surprise inspections over the years.

In 2010, inspectors noted “a previous culture of harsh treatment at the facility,” adding, in a letter to the school, “The Family Foundation School has been working to change this culture,” according to documents released by the state’s Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs.

In a written response to the inspectors, Mr. Argiros, the president, denied that the school acknowledged its past as harsh, and said it has always been open to outside agencies and new protocols for “dealing with often incorrigible and oppositional adolescents who have failed to thrive before coming to our school.”

Ms. Becker, the de facto nurse, enrolled her own son, Lee Grivas, at the school. He did well, earning good grades and going go on to study photography. He eventually dated the actress Christina Applegate and moved to California. In 2008, he died of a drug overdose.

Escape by Any Means

Students ran away from the school. Mr. Sullivan fled one day in the winter of 2002, unprepared for the eight-mile journey to Hancock, N.Y.

“I get to town, and I’m frozen,” he said. “I ended up sleeping in a doghouse. I woke up frozen stiff and I couldn’t move.” He walked to a police station. “I tried to turn myself in. There’s no cop there.”

Mr. Good, the 2009 alumnus, was initially brought to the school by force; he said men in a van grabbed him off the street at his parents’ request — an occurrence known as “gooning.” One day, he hurt his elbow and was sent home on a 24-hour pass. Knowing his parents planned to send him back, he ran away from home and hid in a friend’s basement until his 18th birthday some days later, when he was free to leave the school on his own.

He wrote his parents a note, “Hey, I love you guys, but you don’t understand.”

Other students, desperate, saw another means of escape.

“I tried to commit suicide one night in my bunk,” said Walter Huff, now 27 and living in Chicago. “I thought it was the only way out. I took a belt and put it around my neck and put it on the top bunk, and woke up the next morning with the belt. It had broken.”

In 2007, a 17-year-old student died after jumping from an upper floor of the school. Ms. Becker, the former nurse, remembers treating students who she believed had attempted to take their lives.

“A young lady, it was winter, but the pond had a slight freeze,” she recalled. “The girl had threatened suicide and went out and jumped in the pond.” Others brought the student to Ms. Becker, who treated her for hypothermia.

Ms. Ianelli, who calls herself the “crypt keeper” of the alumni, believes that the school left some students more damaged than they were when they arrived.

“We call ourselves an endangered species,” she said in an interview.

Ms. Ianelli said she was repeatedly groped by an employee of the school and then reprimanded when she tried to report the behavior. The experience left her so distraught that she grabbed a plastic jug marked “bleach” and entered a walk-in cooler. She gulped the liquid.

“I was so excited to die,” she said.

Nothing happened. She looked at the jug again and saw another word written on the other side: “vinegar.”

‘Will You Do It With Me?’

James Clemente, 61, of Trumbull, Conn., sent his son Mark to the Family Foundation School in 2002 when the boy was 17; he described it as a last-ditch effort to treat Mark’s heroin addiction.

“I thought it was a great school,” Mr. Clemente said. “He was getting an education, not just going to rehab.”

Mark Clemente left Family Foundation School when he turned 18 and moved to Manhattan, where he lived on the streets for more than a decade, a fixture in Union Square and the East Village until his death in 2017.CreditAndrew Burton/Getty Images
“They had all the tools he needed to use,” Mr. Clemente said of the school. “He just didn’t use them.”

Anne Moss Rogers sent her son, Charles, to the school in 2012 in hopes of treating his depression and anxiety. He left the school in 2014 and killed himself a year later while suffering from withdrawal from heroin.

“When Charles died, there was one before him and one right after. A girl overdosed, then he died, then a child died due to alcohol, a car accident.” She believes the school actually prolonged Charles’ life: “He would have been dead at 17.”

Ms. Rogers, who became a speaker and mental health advocate after losing her son, said the list of dead classmates should be placed in a larger perspective. “These are high-risk kids,” she said. “We’re in an opioid epidemic and a suicide epidemic.”

Jon Martin-Crawford, an alumnus, achieved notoriety among his peers when he testified about the school before a congressional hearing regarding treatment programs for teens in 2008.

“The nightmares and psychological scars of being dragged from your home to a place in the middle of nowhere; restrained in blankets and Duct tape; assaulted, verbally and physically — those scars and that trauma never go away,” Mr. Martin-Crawford, then 28, testified. “For my friends who have since died from suicide because of the nightmares or those who still suffer the nightmares, our time and our voice will not be in vain.”

Seven years later, he hanged himself.

“It’s like, who’s next?” a former student, Sara McGrath Brathwaite, said when contacted by a reporter earlier this year. “Why?”

Thirteen former students died in 2017, among them a nurse anesthetist in Colorado, Suzanne Leffler, who took her life with drugs through an IV from her job. Ms. Leffler and another teen, Lauren Durnin, met at the school in the 1990s and remained friends. “She was always trying to make you laugh,” Ms. Durnin said. “She just seemed like she had it all together.”

In August, the police went to Ms. Leffler’s house and found her on her bed. “She had put herself to sleep,” Ms. Durnin said.

Ms. Durnin said she found herself contemplating her own death.

“All I could think to myself is, ‘You could have called me and I would have been there for you,’” she said. “And at the time, after she died, I thought if she had said, ‘Will you do it with me?’ I would have.”

Tree of Lost Souls

Today, a sports camp stands where the school once did, the buildings on the property under new ownership. Roads once dirt are paved now, but off-season at the camp, they are quiet. There is the pond where the girl dropped through the ice. There is the old barn.

Ms. Boysick, the former student who described the room with rugs on the walls, said she was repeatedly sexually abused in the barn by a teacher. She recently went to the police, after almost two decades, to press charges. The statute of limitations had passed, she was told. Nothing could be done.

A white pickup drove past the property one evening in April. Behind the wheel was Randy Whiting, 64, whose family has owned the property for many years, and who used to work in maintenance at the school. He was an insider and an outsider at the same time, his front-row seat unrelated to education or the school’s cause. News of recent deaths among alumni has found him, too.

“You know some of them, and you hear it,” Mr. Whiting said. He believes the school did a lot of good for a lot of teenagers. “They’re the ones you don’t hear much about,” he said. “There were some of the kids you just can’t reach.”

Some of those apparently beyond reach make their appearances on Ms. Ianelli’s Facebook page, alongside victims of tragic accidents.

In January, an alumnus crossing a busy road in Moonachie, N.J., was struck and killed in a hit-and-run collision. He became No. 94.

In April, reports of more deaths arrived back-to-back-to-back. A 27-year-old man was killed in a scooter accident in Florida. In Saratoga Springs, N.Y., a 35-year-old graduate and medical equipment salesman, Kyle Nelson, learned that his stepfather had died overnight. When he left to go to his grieving mother’s home the next morning, he dropped dead of a heart attack. In July, when some past deaths were added, the list reached, and then passed, 100.

Last year, Ms. Ianelli and others from the school planted a tree near the property in Hancock, beside a Catholic church in Long Eddy. They placed a plaque before it and named it the Lost Souls Tree.

Up close, markings can be read on rocks, remembering dead friends, but in the winter, the tree is bare and slight, easily missed when passing by.

Quote from: KVEO news
APNewsBreak: Shooting suspect had history of mental illness

BALTIMORE (AP) - The suspect in a deadly shooting at a Florida video game tournament had previously been hospitalized for mental illness, according to court records in his home state of Maryland reviewed by The Associated Press.

Divorce filings from the parents of 24-year-old David Katz of Baltimore say that as an adolescent he was twice hospitalized in psychiatric facilities and was prescribed antipsychotic and antidepressant medications.

The records show Katz's parents disagreed on how to care for their troubled son, with his father claiming his estranged wife was exaggerating symptoms of mental illness as part of their long and bitter custody battle. The couple divorced in 2007.

Katz opened fire Sunday at a gaming bar inside a collection of restaurants and shops in Jacksonville. He killed two people and wounded 10 others before fatally shooting himself during the "Madden NFL 19" tournament, authorities said.

Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams has declined to comment on the gunman's motive.

The suspect's father, Richard Katz of Baltimore, and his mother, Elizabeth Katz of Columbia, Maryland, did not respond to phone messages Sunday or Monday. Efforts by the AP to reach them at their homes were also unsuccessful.

The Howard County, Maryland, divorce filings say that David Katz played video games obsessively as a young adolescent, often refusing to go to school or to bathe. Elizabeth Katz, a toxicologist at the Department of Agriculture, said she confiscated some of her son's gaming equipment after finding him playing in the wee hours.

"His hair would very often go unwashed for days. When I took his gaming equipment controllers away so he couldn't play at 3 or 4 in the morning, I'd get up and find that he was just walking around the house in circles," the mother said, according to a transcript in the court files.

At one point, she put his gaming controllers in her bedroom behind a locked door and he punched a hole in the door, she said.

Elizabeth Katz said her youngest son had increasing difficulty concentrating following his parents' split. A judge awarded custody of the boy to his mother, with visitation rights to the father.

At times David "curled up into a ball," refused to attend school and sobbed, she said. She asserted that her ex-husband instructed David not to take Risperidal - an anti-psychotic medication prescribed to him. The father claimed in court filings that David was not "diagnosed as psychotic."

He missed large stretches of school while under his mother's supervision. He was admitted to the nearby Sheppard Pratt mental health system for about 12 days in late 2007. Court documents say a psychiatrist at that time administered antidepressants. He later spent about 13 days at Potomac Ridge, a mental health services facility in Rockville.

Richard Katz, a NASA engineer, said his ex-wife had "an obsession with using mental health professionals and in particular psychiatric drugs to perform the work that parents should naturally do." He said she routinely gave false information to mental health care providers. He described one incident in which his son was handcuffed by police after locking himself in his mother's car in an attempt to avoid going to a mental health appointment with her.

Federal law requires gun buyers to disclose whether they have ever been involuntarily committed to a mental institution. Maryland state law also prohibits the sale or transfer of a gun to someone who has been diagnosed with a mental disorder or who has a history of violent behavior.

In recent weeks, Katz legally purchased the two handguns he carried from a gun store in Baltimore, the sheriff said.

The sheriff, who said Katz did not fire both weapons, did not say whether Katz disclosed his past hospitalizations on the form for the required federal background check.

By the time Katz was 15, the divorce records show, the father asserted that Elizabeth Katz "routinely" called the police for "trivial matters." In a transcript of a 2010 phone call, the mother phoned a 911 dispatcher, accusing David of "abusing" her by coming home late after a visitation with his father. She then insisted he was "assaulting" her by trying to gain control of the cable cord to the television. She complained to the dispatcher that he was rolling his eyes and laughing.

"You'll roll your eyes. Fine. You'll pay. Where are you going to be tomorrow?" she said in the transcript, addressing her son. The dispatcher encouraged her not to say anything further until a police officer arrived. He was eventually sent to a wilderness therapy program in Utah called RedCliff Ascent for nearly 100 days.

According to the father's version of events, the relationship between mother and son got increasingly worse.

Elizabeth Katz put David's clothes in suitcases on at least two occasions and asked him to leave, including once on Mother's Day in 2007. In court filings, the father asserted that David "routinely expresses his anger" toward her. He claimed that when David was staying with him, the boy showed no signs of behavioral problems and was "generally lively, communicative" and "playful."

In a 2010 letter, David Katz wrote a letter to a magistrate judge saying he wanted to live with his father and describing his mother as "pretty crazy." He said she called the police to the family's home about 20 times and "gets drunk." He blamed her for his poor grades.

Despite the problems, Katz graduated from Hammond High School in Columbia in 2011. He went on to attend the University of Maryland, though he did not earn a degree.

Katz used the gamer tags "Bread" or "Sliced Bread" when competing. The game's maker, EA Sports, lists a David Katz as a 2017 championship winner.

On the Madden competition circuit, Katz was known to barely speak to fellow gamers and sometimes exhibited an erratic playing style, according to other competitors.

"We've always known he was a little off and stuff just because he wasn't social at all," Shay Kivlen, 21, of Seattle, said Monday in an interview.


Biesecker reported from Washington. Associated Press Writer Russ Bynum in Jacksonville, Florida, also contributed to this report.


Follow Biesecker at and McFadden at .

Being forced to attend a wilderness program seemed to have fuelled his anger with tragic results years later.

Various volunteers are looking at Atlantis Leadership academy located in Jamaica. It is run by a Randall Cook, which could be a former WWASP employee who went by the name "Randy Cook" many years ago. His mother published marketing material for WWASP.

More info will follow on this facility located in a unnamed location at Treasure Beach in Jamaica

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 46